Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Rumda
Nov 4, 2009

Moth Lesbian Comrade

Zerilan posted:

If it's their primary a source of income, it's a job. Doesn't need to be more complicated than that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sphairon
May 5, 2012
ASK ME ABOUT BEING A LIBERTARIAN PIECE OF SHIT AND TONGUING RON PAUL'S BIGOTED ASSHOLE WHILE HE BEATS A GAY COUPLE TO DEATH WITH A GOLDEN DILDO AND JERKS OFF TO A PICTURE OF THE CONFEDERATE RAG WHILE WATCHING ATLAS SHRUGGED IN 3D

Ytlaya posted:

Put more simply, the "cultural issues" thing is positing that black people, for whatever reason, created/chose a culture that is harmful/lazy/whatever. So then the question becomes "why is this?" and if you ultimately trace things back to their source you'd end up resorting to the idea of there being some innate difference (assuming, as I mentioned before, that you reject the idea of outside structural/environmental issues being the cause).

I heard this more often from pre-2015 Republicans than from alt-righters, but one way to avoid this causal inevitability is to posit a conspiracy theory wherein Democrats, unions and social workers trapped the black population in a cycle of poverty and dependence to harvest votes and prolong the existence of their jobs.

Of course, in all fairness, pre-2015 Republicans had different priorities, which were to dismantle all social services and labor protections first and foremost, whereas today's fascist right just simply hates minorities. They don't need a narrative that tells them Democrats are the real racists; they need a narrative to shore up racial resentment in the most acceptable way possible. "Black culture" is a great way to do this with just the right amount of plausible deniability.

boner confessor
Apr 25, 2013

by R. Guyovich

Refried Hero posted:

Who decides what is valuable though? I am mostly with you on this, but it feels like you are arbitrarily denying value to entertainment that doesn't have value to you personally, but might have value to others.

it's valuable if people derive value from it, and some people (oddly enough) derive value and entertainment from my posts, so i have the same right to claim being a content creator as they do. even more of a right actually because i dont even need a video game, i have the fury of my own momentum here

and what i'm stabbing at here is that basically everything everyone does on the internet is content creation under that bare bones inclusive standard

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

Sphairon posted:

I heard this more often from pre-2015 Republicans than from alt-righters, but one way to avoid this causal inevitability is to posit a conspiracy theory wherein Democrats, unions and social workers trapped the black population in a cycle of poverty and dependence to harvest votes and prolong the existence of their jobs.

Of course, in all fairness, pre-2015 Republicans had different priorities, which were to dismantle all social services and labor protections first and foremost, whereas today's fascist right just simply hates minorities. They don't need a narrative that tells them Democrats are the real racists; they need a narrative to shore up racial resentment in the most acceptable way possible. "Black culture" is a great way to do this with just the right amount of plausible deniability.

hmmm hate to break it to you but the gop has been a white nationalist party since goldwater. the alt right exists thanks to the republican party.

quote:

You start out in 1954 by saying, "friend of the family, friend of the family, friend of the family." By 1968 you can't say "friend of the family" — that hurts you. Backfires. So you say stuff like forced busing, states' rights and all that stuff. You're getting so abstract now [that] you're talking about cutting taxes, and all these things you're talking about are totally economic things and a byproduct of them is [that] blacks get hurt worse than whites. And subconsciously maybe that is part of it. I'm not saying that. But I'm saying that if it is getting that abstract, and that coded, that we are doing away with the racial problem one way or the other. You follow me — because obviously sitting around saying, "We want to cut this," is much more abstract than even the busing thing, and a hell of a lot more abstract than "friend of the family, friend of the family."

Groovelord Neato fucked around with this message at 23:39 on Sep 13, 2017

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Im glad my instant dislike in you has been validated again and again.

Raenir Salazar posted:

Sounds like a really patronizing way of describing film critics like Roger Ebert; or in Youtuber terms, MovieBob or Wisecrack.

yeah but ebert was actually clever and funny. bob is just actualy just weird pretentious rear end in a top hat with a technocrat liberal/ authoritarian bent because he got made fun of in high school and never let it go and hates all gaming outside of nintendo(because republican jocks.) no idea about wristcrack. but there are some good genuin critics out there(not just the social ones like lindsey elis or contra and shaun) super bunnyhop is great as is Noah Caldwell-Gervais. id suggest them for good longform style critics rather then bob.

Dapper_Swindler fucked around with this message at 23:43 on Sep 13, 2017

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

boner confessor posted:

thanks for supporting my posting, friend :) HMU on paypal if you like this fresh content!!!

Are you a libertarian?

Gorn Myson
Aug 8, 2007

Groovelord Neato posted:

hmmm hate to break it to you but the gop has been a white nationalist party since goldwater. the alt right exists thanks to the republican party.
Yep. The alt-right are Republicans who have broken kayfabe.

Sphairon
May 5, 2012
ASK ME ABOUT BEING A LIBERTARIAN PIECE OF SHIT AND TONGUING RON PAUL'S BIGOTED ASSHOLE WHILE HE BEATS A GAY COUPLE TO DEATH WITH A GOLDEN DILDO AND JERKS OFF TO A PICTURE OF THE CONFEDERATE RAG WHILE WATCHING ATLAS SHRUGGED IN 3D

Groovelord Neato posted:

I think in our context the crucial line from your quote is this one:

quote:

And subconsciously maybe that is part of it. I'm not saying that. But I'm saying that if it is getting that abstract, and that coded, that we are doing away with the racial problem one way or the other.

Republican campaign strategists were aware that their policies hurt blacks worse than whites, but the Republican elite themselves weren't white nationalists. They were conservative aristocrats and didn't give a gently caress about poor minorities one way or another, but brazenly tried to rebrand themselves as "The Party of MLK" to appeal to upper class sensitivities while also assuming permanent ownership of the racist trailer park vote since there was no explicitly racist alternative for them to defect to.

This has now changed. The racist voter contingent has claimed what they felt they were owed and there is essentially nothing the Republican elite can do to stop them. They can't win elections without the racists, so all they can do is play nice while the right-wing consensus shifts from "gently caress the poor" to "gently caress the black, brown and queer poor in particular". In a sense you're right, the Republican Party bred the alt-right, but it's a perverted monster they felt they could control rather than the former core of the party. The former core was consumed by the fascist monster and occasionally bubbles to the surface when it comes to denying people healthcare and slashing corporate taxes, which makes this whole situation even more unbearable.

Seraphic Neoman
Jul 19, 2011

Angry_Ed posted:

1. This definitely isn't perjury or outright illegal, right? Just because they gave permission on their website doesn't mean that it's a legally binding statement or contract, right? Sean Vanaman even made the point that "well technically all Let's Play's are infringement, it's just a question of how much a developer or publisher lets it slide or supports it". Which I know to be more or less true, since developers have handled this stuff in many different ways, from blanket allowances, to contract deals, to just not allowing monetization at all.

It is legally binding actually. The way it works is if you place copyright rules on your site, and a reasonable person has access to them, they override whatever the "standard" rules for copyright are (assuming your rules are reasonable in turn).

Angry_Ed posted:

2. Is this a "proper" use of the DMCA? Some people with slightly cooler heads have suggested sending a cease-and-desist rather than using a DMCA takedown.

Hell no, and actually PDP has grounds for a countersuit from what I understand. Using DMCA for this was a BAD idea, especially since PDP didn't do it on a stream of their game. They honestly hosed up and a c&d might have been a better choice (though legally dubious)

Angry_Ed posted:

3. Even if it is fair use (which if I understand correctly, would have to be proven by PDP in court), does Campo Santo have any legal recourse to say "we don't want our game associated with this person even in a tertiary way because of their abhorrent world views"?

That I don't know, sadly.

EDIT: this dude seems to know whats up: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uhn6yrNzM3M

Seraphic Neoman fucked around with this message at 00:57 on Sep 14, 2017

Pembroke Fuse
Dec 29, 2008

Groovelord Neato posted:

This entire video describes how the alt-right rebranded as libertarian (and that quote is also here): https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ysX0pX_sppY&t=9s

Pembroke Fuse
Dec 29, 2008

Sphairon posted:

This has now changed. The racist voter contingent has claimed what they felt they were owed and there is essentially nothing the Republican elite can do to stop them. They can't win elections without the racists, so all they can do is play nice while the right-wing consensus shifts from "gently caress the poor" to "gently caress the black, brown and queer poor in particular". In a sense you're right, the Republican Party bred the alt-right, but it's a perverted monster they felt they could control rather than the former core of the party. The former core was consumed by the fascist monster and occasionally bubbles to the surface when it comes to denying people healthcare and slashing corporate taxes, which makes this whole situation even more unbearable.

1. Conservatives cynically breed white nationalist monster in the hopes of riding it
2. White nationalist monster evolves itself and gains sentience
3. White nationalist monster consumes conservative masters and everything else

This seems like a common cycle in western nations.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

I feel like it might be just a general expression of monomythic hubris.

Raenir Salazar
Nov 5, 2010

College Slice

boner confessor posted:

it's valuable if people derive value from it, and some people (oddly enough) derive value and entertainment from my posts, so i have the same right to claim being a content creator as they do. even more of a right actually because i dont even need a video game, i have the fury of my own momentum here

and what i'm stabbing at here is that basically everything everyone does on the internet is content creation under that bare bones inclusive standard

You seem to be shifting the goalposts an awful lot, so lets try to nail down some specifics.

If they work essentially 9-5 and earn as their primary source of income the revenue from streaming, videos uploaded to youtube, or are otherwise paid by an employer for either of those, which may or may not but probably includes editing, is this work, and is valid to call it "That's work."? Would you agree that the fact that their efforts, involves mainly playing video games, does not make it any less valid in being a 'job/work' in this situation?

Yes or no, please don't hurt any lama's while answering this, they are noble creatures.

Kokoro Wish
Jul 23, 2007

Post? What post? Oh wow.
I had nothing to do with THAT.
Over the past few months though, YouTube has been making great efforts to kill off.. well basically anything interesting with their ad policies.

boner confessor
Apr 25, 2013

by R. Guyovich

Raenir Salazar posted:

You seem to be shifting the goalposts an awful lot, so lets try to nail down some specifics.

If they work essentially 9-5 and earn as their primary source of income the revenue from streaming, videos uploaded to youtube, or are otherwise paid by an employer for either of those, which may or may not but probably includes editing, is this work, and is valid to call it "That's work."? Would you agree that the fact that their efforts, involves mainly playing video games, does not make it any less valid in being a 'job/work' in this situation?

Yes or no, please don't hurt any lama's while answering this, they are noble creatures.

"disregarding the 99% of the time your argument doesn't apply, do you or do you not think that in the 1% of cases where it applies, that your argument applies?"

little munchkin
Aug 15, 2010

temple posted:

That guy Destiny that debates the alt-light used to be a video game streamer. Maybe he still is. But he's no longer relevant in SC2 so he transitioned into something else.

Right now is the golden age for this youtube stuff. Pewdiepie is an example of the future. I waiting for youtube personalities to get prettier and better produced. It has to trend that way or it has to become less profitable for an skilled creator. Its entertainment after all and these fat angry dudes will age and won't relate anymore. They will have to do something else.

oh he's the same destiny that was groping a woman on stream even though she was clearly uncomfotable with it? lol

Raenir Salazar
Nov 5, 2010

College Slice

boner confessor posted:

"disregarding the 99% of the time your argument doesn't apply, do you or do you not think that in the 1% of cases where it applies, that your argument applies?"

Answer the question.

boner confessor
Apr 25, 2013

by R. Guyovich

Raenir Salazar posted:

Answer the question.

you'll find that i did! also, you are tedious and frustrated that i don't respect video game streaming as a vocation or artform or whatever. sorry!

Mr Interweb
Aug 25, 2004

little munchkin posted:

oh he's the same destiny that was groping a woman on stream even though she was clearly uncomfotable with it? lol

Destiny did that?

Raenir Salazar
Nov 5, 2010

College Slice

boner confessor posted:

you'll find that i did! also, you are tedious and frustrated that i don't respect video game streaming as a vocation or artform or whatever. sorry!

Sorry about holding you to an intellectual rigorous standard in which to measure the merits of the personal subjective opinion you posted on a dead comedy forum and taking you seriously at face value; but I'm glad you agree with my overall point that streaming/playing games can be a respectable profession just like any other artistic and creative act of content creation.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

And in either case the whole "heh who cares what you do it's pointless if you don't make money off it" thing is kind of shite.

little munchkin
Aug 15, 2010

Mr Interweb posted:

Destiny did that?

yea. he also got booted from an sc2 sponsor for posting some girl's nude pics

boner confessor
Apr 25, 2013

by R. Guyovich

OwlFancier posted:

And in either case the whole "heh who cares what you do it's pointless if you don't make money off it" thing is kind of shite.

i never said that :confused: i just said that it's silly to call your hobby a job if you dont make a living doing it. plenty of people spend hours and hours painting miniatures but i dont know how many of them describe it as their vocation

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

How many streamers actually do much editing out of maybe trimming for time? Or inserting funny sound effects because JonTron won't stop using racial slurs?

Who What Now
Sep 10, 2006

by Azathoth

boner confessor posted:

i never said that :confused: i just said that it's silly to call your hobby a job if you dont make a living doing it. plenty of people spend hours and hours painting miniatures but i dont know how many of them describe it as their vocation

I've known several who sold their services to paint armies for people.

Yardbomb
Jul 11, 2011

What's with the eh... bretonnian dance, sir?

Who What Now posted:

I've known several who sold their services to paint armies for people.

Also what at them sniping at people who make costume stuff earlier too, you can make hefty cash doing replica/reenactment/LARP/cosplay stuff and that is hard rear end work.

Like their entire deal has just come off like crotchety old griping.

Maluco Marinero
Jan 18, 2001

Damn that's a
fine elephant.

boner confessor posted:

Just acknowledge you're being arbitrary because you want to diminish youtubers and streamers and move on buddy. The only thing separating a hobby and a job is whether you make money out of it. The ratio is skewed differently depending on demand for skilled work in a particular domain, but that doesn't bear on whether or it is or isn't a job.

boner confessor
Apr 25, 2013

by R. Guyovich

Maluco Marinero posted:

Just acknowledge you're being arbitrary because you want to diminish youtubers and streamers and move on buddy. The only thing separating a hobby and a job is whether you make money out of it. The ratio is skewed differently depending on demand for skilled work in a particular domain, but that doesn't bear on whether or it is or isn't a job.

again, i didn't expect it to be so contentious to make fun of youtube video makers in this, the "let's make fun of youtube video makers" thread

boner confessor posted:

i assume you're not going to go back and read my posts where i talk about exactly this, rather than just jumping in without context and assuming i'm saying something i'm not, so i'll just respond to you by quoting myself from the last page (easily checkable imo)

boner confessor posted:

painting or other artistic pursuits, even when done badly, are far more productive than streaming. unless you are very charming or have some weird gimmick you're just filming yourself talking while consuming someone else's creation. the value you're adding is your speech, and most people who want to make it big as an entertainer grossly overestimate how entertaining they are

like imagine this, but even more awkward and boring. if people want to do this, fine, go nuts, but they definitely should't feel like it entitles them to a paycheck or any respect unless they hit that magic combination that draws some kind of audience

for every person who can pay their bills and feed themselves by streaming video games, how many are there who do this and can't pay to sustain themselves? is it more than 1 in 10? 1 in 100? if only 1% of people can make a living at it is it really a job without qualifiers? like someone who plays sports every once in a while for fun wouldn't say their job is playing sports, would they?

boner confessor fucked around with this message at 03:49 on Sep 14, 2017

Genocyber
Jun 4, 2012

boner confessor posted:

again, i didn't expect it to be so contentious to make fun of youtube video makers in this, the "let's make fun of youtube video makers" thread

That's not what this thread is titled.

it shaun
Jun 6, 2017
A lot of folks who make money off youtube/streaming worked at it for a long time without much of an audience or seeing much revenue from it. They're still working at it while not making money, though. Building an audience is a big part of the job, & it can take a while to get rolling.

I wouldn't call it "my job" if it wasn't the main way I paid my bills, but it's still work & time spent, regardless of money earned. Certain people can be rubbish at it, sure, but it is still work. Judge the content, not the concept, I guess.

Mr Interweb
Aug 25, 2004

Not gonna lie, there's a part of me that definitely admires the level of dedication it takes to have a youtube channel.

Lightning Lord
Feb 21, 2013

$200 a day, plus expenses

it shaun posted:

A lot of folks who make money off youtube/streaming worked at it for a long time without much of an audience or seeing much revenue from it. They're still working at it while not making money, though. Building an audience is a big part of the job, & it can take a while to get rolling.

I wouldn't call it "my job" if it wasn't the main way I paid my bills, but it's still work & time spent, regardless of money earned. Certain people can be rubbish at it, sure, but it is still work. Judge the content, not the concept, I guess.

Clint Basinger, aka Lazy Game Reviews took almost a decade to get the point where he could live off being a Youtube guy.

The man does extensive research, scripting, and performing in his videos. I fail to see the difference between him and the host of a gaming TV show, except that he can tailor his show to the interests of both himself and his audience.

I get what boner confessor is saying, but... let's frame it like this. Freelancers and contractors have jobs, right? Basically a successful youtuber is a freelancer being paid by their audience. People don't clown on the legion of fools discussed in this thread because they use youtube or are streamers or whatever, it's because they're poo poo wastemen.

Solitair
Feb 18, 2014

TODAY'S GONNA BE A GOOD MOTHERFUCKIN' DAY!!!

Dapper_Swindler posted:

bob is just actualy just weird pretentious rear end in a top hat with a technocrat liberal/ authoritarian bent because he got made fun of in high school and never let it go and hates all gaming outside of nintendo(because republican jocks.)

Um, no. He often advocates for social justice positions and whenever he comes off like he hates geek culture, he does it for pretty much all the same reasons people in this very thread do. I've seen him support a technocratic viewpoint at the expense of leftism all of twice, and never authoritarianism. Your excuses for why you don't like him sound a hell of a lot like GamerGaters complaining about "fake" gamers invading their space as a way of invalidating what they have to say about the problems with bigotry in geek culture.

I won't argue with anyone who thinks he's a bad critic, but he has nothing in common with our usual suspects.

Archer666
Dec 27, 2008

Mr Interweb posted:

Destiny did that?

Destiny did a lot of bad poo poo.

Sure its fun to watch him debate with absolute idiots but the guy's pretty much just as bad as they are.

Solitair posted:

Um, no. He often advocates for social justice positions and whenever he comes off like he hates geek culture, he does it for pretty much all the same reasons people in this very thread do. I've seen him support a technocratic viewpoint at the expense of leftism all of twice, and never authoritarianism. Your excuses for why you don't like him sound a hell of a lot like GamerGaters complaining about "fake" gamers invading their space as a way of invalidating what they have to say about the problems with bigotry in geek culture.

I won't argue with anyone who thinks he's a bad critic, but he has nothing in common with our usual suspects.

Moviebob is just as bad as the usual suspects, except that he's on the left side.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

Groovelord Neato posted:

i'm mostly just jelly of awful and uninteresting people being able to make a job of just playing video games all day while i gotta toil away. pewdiepie is awful and is the number one youtuber. the number one hearthstone streamer is an uggo with a bad voice and no screen presence. i don't get how any of this works! none of it makes sense!

If you're referring to Trump as the Hearthstone guy, I was acquaintances with him during college (I had a couple classes where I would hang out with him and this other guy). He was kinda awkward and never really seemed to be interested in business/finance much (we were business students at NYU Stern), so it was cool to find out that he apparently become pretty wildly successful with this streaming stuff.

I remember him giving me Civilization (the computer game) lessons and he was remarkably good at explaining things; I improved dramatically at it after just playing a couple games with him.

ungulateman
Apr 18, 2012

pretentious fuckwit who isn't half as literate or insightful or clever as he thinks he is
i think he means kripparian, who is even less personable than trump

Kokoro Wish
Jul 23, 2007

Post? What post? Oh wow.
I had nothing to do with THAT.
Destiny not being behind a livable minimum wage (he believes it's actually detrimental to have one), is all I need to know to discount the man out of hand for the most part.

Yardbomb
Jul 11, 2011

What's with the eh... bretonnian dance, sir?

ungulateman posted:

I think he means kripparian, who is even less personable than trump

They also still shill their rear end off for G2A which is a pretty deep black mark by this point, when it's no longer just ha-ha joking about them being propped up by organized crime anymore.

El Pollo Blanco
Jun 12, 2013

by sebmojo

Archer666 posted:

Destiny did a lot of bad poo poo.

Sure its fun to watch him debate with absolute idiots but the guy's pretty much just as bad as they are.

Moviebob is just as bad as the usual suspects, except that he's on the left side.

Yeah, the last time I remember hearing about him until he started debating alt-right people was how often he kept doubling down on being a racist rear end in a top hat back in 2011-12. Dude loved being edgy back then.

Maybe he grew up?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Im glad my instant dislike in you has been validated again and again.

Solitair posted:

No have you ever read his twitter? He does that poo poo all the time. And "fake" gamer gamer gate bullshit wasn't my point, my point was he was a giant shithead who has terrible opinions about most things except for basic left wing concepts. Other good critics have good socialy and fiscally left views and arn't weird shitheads. You don't need to defend him just because he is a liberal.

Dapper_Swindler fucked around with this message at 13:45 on Sep 14, 2017

• Locked thread