Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

The Project Octopath Traveler demo is good.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

OddObserver
Apr 3, 2009
There is also apparently an Etrian Odyssey V demo out. Didn't try that yet (too busy with Ys 8).

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

also, atlus is making a 3ds rpg with the suikoden creator as the lead writer

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AAxRspCfgDc

TurnipFritter
Apr 21, 2010
10,000 POSTS ON TALKING TIME

Endorph posted:

also, atlus is making a 3ds rpg with the suikoden creator as the lead writer

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AAxRspCfgDc

It's FuRyu that developed it, not Atlus.

Wendell
May 11, 2003

OddObserver posted:

There is also apparently an Etrian Odyssey V demo out. Didn't try that yet (too busy with Ys 8).

It's more of the same.

So it's great!

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

TurnipFritter posted:

It's FuRyu that developed it, not Atlus.
oh, they'er just the publishers? that explains why it looks a lil' cheap.

OddObserver
Apr 3, 2009

Endorph posted:

oh, they'er just the publishers? that explains why it looks a lil' cheap.

Rather than very cheap?

Panic! at Nabisco
Jun 6, 2007

it seemed like a good idea at the time
Alliance Alive is only very slightly better than Legend of Legacy. Avoid.

Wendell
May 11, 2003

Panic! at Nabisco posted:

Alliance Alive is only very slightly better than Legend of Legacy. Avoid.

Really? But....Suikoden guy....

Panic! at Nabisco
Jun 6, 2007

it seemed like a good idea at the time

Wendell posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1ABJCveM5hk
See for yourself! It's on the high end for FuRyu games, which means it's solidly mediocre. Animations have zero weight, combat is like a SaGa game with all of the charm stripped, characters have their One Quirk and don't really ever develop, etc.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"
Is it ever worth actually using Gella Cards in battle in Wild Arms 3, or should I just hock them all now for 1.5k apiece?

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!
gella cards pay for themselves fairly quickly, and then there are endgame monsters who steal half your money but drop it in post-battle reward form if you kill them before they escape

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

Octopath Traveler is like: what if you took SaGa, but replaced the inscrutability with high production values?

If this demo is an accurate representation of what the finished product will be like, then it's better than I hoped.

Terper
Jun 26, 2012

I prefer Brave and Default, but it's a nice streamlining of the idea.

Already seen plenty of people who complain that it takes forever to kill single enemies :v:

HGH
Dec 20, 2011

Wendell posted:

Caligula was basically the same thing with "But... Persona 1/2 writer..."

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

caligula was at least interesting writing-wise

dukerson
Dec 28, 2012

Neddy Seagoon posted:

Is it ever worth actually using Gella Cards in battle in Wild Arms 3, or should I just hock them all now for 1.5k apiece?

Gella Cards quickly become high-ROI on bosses.

(Also: don't forget you can Mystic both Gella Cards and Lucky Cards.)

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

dukerson posted:

Gella Cards quickly become high-ROI on bosses.

(Also: don't forget you can Mystic both Gella Cards and Lucky Cards.)

Ooh yes, can't forget that :stare:. I fought the floating eyeball bosses in the ruins, and I like that it hands over a Medium with Reflect right before the boss that spits Darkness spells like they're going out of style and is immune to light :unsmigghh:. Share the love about, Gallows, and let the boss do the work :smuggo:.

Also I just did the abandoned lab and the town after it, was actually surprised to find Clive's wife and daughter both alive and lacking any sort of dramatically deadly coughing. I was all set for "meeting the family" being just a pair of graves or a photo, a happy healthy family in a JRPG is a frankly new and unsettling experience and I really hope they stay that way :ohdear:.

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness
Is there a lockpicking/hacking/locked door mechanic that DOESN'T suck in any WRPG?

Inspired by my playing Underrail (it's pretty good, though they didn't really capture the gloomy Metro aesthetic the game itself is competently done), which has two separate skills for lockpicking and hacking electronic doors.

But like, the gameplay in practice is 99% the exact same as if they didn't have those skills and just gave me 10 less skill points per level up because why would I ever choose not to max those on a first playthrough - and 1% "gently caress, out of lockpicks, better go back to town and buy a shitload more".

So I started thinking about it. Most of them suck. There's the Pillars of Eternity solution where lockpicks are scarce and you can't even attempt doors until you're within 3 of the lock's skill but then they're free if you're above it, which is "okay", but not great. There's the Fallout 3 system where you have to hit arbitrary skill thresholds to open/hack stuff (and also it makes lower stuff easier but who cares), which again, not great.

Why is lockpicking often a numerical skill and not just based on character level or something else? It's just used to gate you anyway.

Ornamented Death
Jan 25, 2006

Pew pew!

I don't know if it counts for the purposes of what you're talking about, but I like Skyrim's system.

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

Alpha Protocol's was neat

I liked the puzzle boxes in Quest for Glory 5 too

Ventana
Mar 28, 2010

*Yosh intensifies*
^^^^ Yeah I liked Alpha Protocol's too, but it's been a while and I don't remember if it addresses his point. AP is a great game though so it probably does

This isn't really a RPG and I don't think it addresses your core concerns, but I like Iji's system for hacking where your ability to hack stronger enemies is strong enough that it's a good reason why it should be balance-gated by the skill point system. But focusing on hacking itself limits you a lot when it comes to other very important aspects to the gameplay (assimilation, strength, and weapon points to wield the good poo poo are all important).

The crux of what your saying looks to me like "If lockpicking/hacking is so good that I should always max it out first, why should it be a part of the skill point system at all?". Going off of what I'd say for Iji, I'd say that it's not that the lockpicking/hacking skills are bad, but that it's just that those games don't get balancing right. Which is something that not a lot of games really end up ever getting right.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

The problem with lockpicking (or similar) in games is that they tend to run into one of two issues:

A) They are FAR too profitable for their cost. Lockpicking that allows you to get extra material tends to pay for itself very very quickly. If anything exclusive is locked behind lockpicking then its worth jumps exponentially. Considering how equipment functions in these games getting access to new weapons is almost always more worthwhile than additional points in a weapon skill during the 'hard' parts of a game and later on having access to those weapons/armors pays off more. |

B) Conversely, offering alternative options to the content makes lockpicking useless because if you have a way to get something that doesn't involve skill points/resource spending why wouldn't you? Saving time is nice but you need to save a lot of time to make it worthwhile.

You can hit a balance between the two but it's really really really hard. Too little and the skill feels worthless, too much and it feels mandatory. It's hard to fix too because there's no simple solution.

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness

ImpAtom posted:

You can hit a balance between the two but it's really really really hard. Too little and the skill feels worthless, too much and it feels mandatory. It's hard to fix too because there's no simple solution.
This is a way better way to express what I mean!

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
I don't really have a horse in this race since I rarely play WRPGs but I personally will always prefer something that makes a game too easy over something that makes a game too frustrating/tedious. Neither are good but the former might make something boring while the latter could just make me stop playing altogether.

dukerson
Dec 28, 2012

ImpAtom posted:

The problem with lockpicking (or similar) in games is that they tend to run into one of two issues:

A) They are FAR too profitable for their cost. Lockpicking that allows you to get extra material tends to pay for itself very very quickly. If anything exclusive is locked behind lockpicking then its worth jumps exponentially. Considering how equipment functions in these games getting access to new weapons is almost always more worthwhile than additional points in a weapon skill during the 'hard' parts of a game and later on having access to those weapons/armors pays off more. |

B) Conversely, offering alternative options to the content makes lockpicking useless because if you have a way to get something that doesn't involve skill points/resource spending why wouldn't you? Saving time is nice but you need to save a lot of time to make it worthwhile.

It doesn't quite count, genre-wise, but I think Persona 5 handled this well by making the generation of lockpicks the main resource constraint (while also not having anything mandatory/exclusive in locked chests, so you don't feel entirely obligated to unlock everything).

Ventana
Mar 28, 2010

*Yosh intensifies*

ImpAtom posted:

I don't think it should be that difficult, it's just a matter of making sure the skills have specific worthwhile niches + a little crossover that doesn't overpower another skills's main attribute. What I'd say makes this effectively hard is that (usually) most WRPGs try to be large in scale; not only in world size or length of extra content, but in the amount of mechanics/poo poo to do in general.

This is probably why I think Iji handled it's balance well. It only had 5 truly unique skill categories, and the game isn't very long for 1 playthrough. But the game's areas are tightly designed around each of the categories having multiple uses that are all strong and important, yet never overshadowing one another. The smaller scale allowed it to closely keep it's rewards in check and make sure nothing was too strong by itself. Basically, it's all about reigning it in.

Kild
Apr 24, 2010

Bongo Bill posted:

Octopath Traveler is like: what if you took SaGa, but replaced the inscrutability with high production values?

If this demo is an accurate representation of what the finished product will be like, then it's better than I hoped.

Can it even be SaGa without inscrutability?

Scrublord Prime
Nov 27, 2007

Something I learned from D&D was for stuff like lockpicking is to change it so that even if the players fail the check they succeed but at a cost. For example if Team Hero is infiltrating Fort Orc and come across a locked door they can try to pick the lock. Success means they can open the door without consequence, nab the loot, and move on. Failure means it takes time to pick the lock at which point an Orc patrol spots them and a fight starts. The third option is to use the Legendary Mighty Double Foot of Justice and break the door and lock which alerts the patrol and the orcs waiting in line for the outhouse starting an even bigger fight.

Of course it'd be more work since D&D is more abstract than games and would feel pretty monster closet-y if done poorly.

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
tales of berseria is 25 bucks on steam right now for anyone who's been interested but waiting for it to be even cheaper

Getsuya
Oct 2, 2013
I can't decide what to play in my PS3. I'm trying to decide between Suikoden 3, SMT Nocturne or maybe one of the PS2 Harvest Moons.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Getsuya posted:

I can't decide what to play in my PS3. I'm trying to decide between Suikoden 3, SMT Nocturne or maybe one of the PS2 Harvest Moons.

Nocturne is easily the best of those.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

I don't like lockpicking in most RPGs because it's usually something that hogs up skill points and inventory space, awarding mostly meaningless junk that still irritates me because it cannot be opened. When I clear an area, I like to leave nothing unchecked and if I have to come back 10 hours later because I have no lockpicks or I need Thievery Rank 12 or something first then I just get annoyed. Better to just ignore it, or better yet, play an RPG that just lets you blow open the box through other means.

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
Skyrim did it reasonably well by just letting you pick whatever locks you wanted and skilling up only made the minigame easier. Plus with the way Skyrim's skills work there's no opportunity cost for them. Basically it's only in the game because picking locks is a fantasy adventure trope that adds flavor to the game and I think it works viewed through that lens.

Getsuya
Oct 2, 2013
Actually after hearing folks talk about it I think I should play Wild Arms 3. I need to sit down and play through all my Japanese PS2 games anyway.

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
elder scrolls has always handled lockpicking pretty well. morrowind made it rng with skill checks but you could always just get a spell or enchantment that could open any lock or find a key to the ones that hold important stuff and oblivion started the series trend of just making it affect how hard the minigame is while keeping the option of easily obtainable op unlock magic.

dioxazine
Oct 14, 2004

Being able to destroy the containers/door is pretty important to me. That's one thing Divinity: Original Sin did that I appreciated a lot compared to, say.. Star Ocean IV.

Why did I buy Star Ocean IV again?

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
Oblivion had the same system as skyrim except the minigame was a huge pain if you didn't have skill points instead of always being pretty easy which was kinda neat but I think ended up being frustrating more than fun. Plus oblivion's wonky-rear end level up system means that someone who wants to be a thief and then goes around picking all the locks and all the pockets fucks themselves over permanently

Getsuya
Oct 2, 2013

Heartcatch posted:

Being able to destroy the containers/door is pretty important to me. That's one thing Divinity: Original Sin did that I appreciated a lot compared to, say.. Star Ocean IV.

Why did I buy Star Ocean IV again?

You probably wanted to take a nap.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

Really Pants posted:

Alpha Protocol's was neat

ap was pretty good and not overused, but damned if it wasn't incompatible with kb+m