Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

hampig
Feb 11, 2004
...curioser and curioser...

rabidsquid posted:

i dont know if pubgalike or battle royale is gonna be the phrase that will catch on though, that will be a barn burner for sure

Call it Hunger Games for tears.

It's just big last man standing so that works too.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Schremp Howard
Jul 18, 2010

What attitude problem?

Morby posted:

I am really curious to see how Doom will perform on the Switch.

I'm curious about this as well. While this is probably (and likely obtuse) an oversimplification, aren't Doom and Wolfenstein huge titles in terms of file size? I'm assuming they'd have to do something to have a playable version on a cartridge.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Switch cart version of Doom only contains single player, you have to download multi. Or not because lol.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Doom is like 80 gigs. I can only assume it will be pretty gutted on switch in general, but man I'd be lying if I said having that on portable isn't super appealing.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!
They have been talking that going forward some games are gonna need memory card downloads to function so probably that.

Crows Turn Off
Jan 7, 2008

Why would you ever play non-Nintendo games on the Switch? All third-party games on the recent Nintendo consoles are by far, without question, the worst version of the games.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!
Well i mean now they are portable and that is a big deal.

fridge corn
Apr 2, 2003

NO MERCY, ONLY PAIN :black101:

Hopper posted:

Part in bold is the only thing you need to know in order to judge the quality and target group of this game.

PUBG is not a game. It is a marketing instrument for streamers and a bad TV show for idiots who fail to understand that games are for playing yourself, not for watching other people play and donate money to them even though most of them suck at the games they stream.

Why should a streamers ability at a game determine their worth as a streamer? Is this how deeply the idea of meritocracy is ingrained in us? 🤔

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Yeah if they can keep securing some level of decent third party stuff that's actually a pretty big plus imo. Not thrilled at the idea of re-buying stuff I have already bought, but playing current gen AAA stuff portable definitely has an appeal.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Crows Turn Off posted:

Why would you ever play non-Nintendo games on the Switch? All third-party games on the recent Nintendo consoles are by far, without question, the worst version of the games.

Most 'third party games' are indies now with run just as well on Switch and are also portable.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

He's obviously not talking about indie games though.

MysticalMachineGun
Apr 5, 2005

fridge corn posted:

Why should a streamers ability at a game determine their worth as a streamer? Is this how deeply the idea of meritocracy is ingrained in us? 🤔

Yeah, if you have to be good at a game to stream it I'd never stream anything

Wait, gently caress

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

veni veni veni posted:

He's obviously not talking about indie games though.

They make up the bulk of Switch third party games so sure if want to just ignore a huge portion of its catalogue.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

In the middle of a discussion about Doom and Wolfenstein TNC coming to switch. You know he's not talking about BOI Super Enhanced Price Tag Edition as well as I do.

Awesome!
Oct 17, 2008

Ready for adventure!

veni veni veni posted:

In the middle of a discussion about Doom and Wolfenstein TNC coming to switch. You know he's not talking about BOI Super Enhanced Price Tag Edition as well as I do.

do not try and argue with switch owners about their console. just sit back and enjoy the posts about literally everything being "perfect for the switch"

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

veni veni veni posted:

Well in that case he's right, obviously Doom and Wolfenstein and probably DQBuilder 1+2 will look worse in the Switch.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

Sakurazuka posted:

Well in that case he's right, obviously Doom and Wolfenstein and probably DQBuilder 1+2 will look worse in the Switch.

I doubt Builders will yeah on the others but I doubt the difference will be big enough to care.

Nostalgia4Dogges
Jun 18, 2004

Only emojis can express my pure, simple stupidity.

Oh man I forgot how dope the Spotify integration on PS4 was

Zipperelli.
Apr 3, 2011

Nap Ghost

CharlestheHammer posted:

They have been talking that going forward some games are gonna need memory card downloads to function so probably that.

Isn't this one of the reasons the vita failed miserably?

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

Zipperelli. posted:

I think it failed because it only had anime games and visual novels.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Zipperelli. posted:

That only affected maybe five games and only as a side effect of the insanely overpriced proprietary memory cards thing

codenameFANGIO
May 4, 2012

What are you even booing here?

Awesome! posted:

do not try and argue with switch owners about their console. just sit back and enjoy the posts about literally everything being "perfect for the switch"

Oh yeah that sounds super enjoyable.

Pierson
Oct 31, 2004

College Slice
Speaking of the Vita and anime, I'm pretty pumped for Dragon's Crown Pro. I really loved it on that cursed handheld but never got to play much online due to garbage connections.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Sakurazuka posted:

That only affected maybe five games and only as a side effect of the insanely overpriced proprietary memory cards thing

Yup, the Switch just uses bog-standard microSD's. There is almost zero chance the Switch versions of both DOOM and Wolfenstein II won't have big downloads even with the cart version, but I don't think it'll be quite 60-80GB though. More like maybe "merely" 30-40GB+ due to the lower resolution and system specs.

Pierson posted:

Speaking of the Vita and anime, I'm pretty pumped for Dragon's Crown Pro. I really loved it on that cursed handheld but never got to play much online due to garbage connections.

Now there's something I think would do really well on the Switch. Even with just the console alone, you've got a setup for two-player co-op anywherre.

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

Couldnt hang with dragons crown. All vware games have backtracking and copy paste assets but that one goes too far with it via the mission based structure and the incentive to grind loot.

Also the action is highly unreadable on screen cause its so busy with effects

Game makes a strong first impression though.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

That first part is what stopped me from playing Dragons Crown too long, it seemed grindy even compared to other VW games, that's why I'm hoping they do an Odin Sphere revamp to add more variety.

Also in PS3 game port news

http://gematsu.com/2017/09/falcom-preparing-legend-heroes-trails-cold-steel-ii-ps4

Mr. Funny Pants
Apr 9, 2001

MysticalMachineGun posted:

The add ons will now be marked as free for you in the PS Store - you still need to "purchase" and download them.

Thanks!

rabidsquid
Oct 11, 2004

LOVES THE KOG

Sakurazuka posted:

Switch cart version of Doom only contains single player, you have to download multi. Or not because lol.

thats actually a pro for the switch since doom multi is huge and to me not remotely the point of the game

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

Sakurazuka posted:

That first part is what stopped me from playing Dragons Crown too long, it seemed grindy even compared to other VW games, that's why I'm hoping they do an Odin Sphere revamp to add more variety.

Yeah unless they do a Odin Sphere Leifthrasir grade improvement on the game, I'm not interested.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

Real hurthling! posted:

Couldnt hang with dragons crown. All vware games have backtracking and copy paste assets but that one goes too far with it via the mission based structure and the incentive to grind loot.

Also the action is highly unreadable on screen cause its so busy with effects

Game makes a strong first impression though.

Two strong impressions, in fact.

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug
What drove me crazy about Dragon's Crown is they kept adding new visual options one after another to try to help the player keep track of where their character was but it was a series of bandaids over a gushing wound. The entire game was apparently designed to keep magical explosions covering the entire screen every single second.

FireMrshlBill
Aug 13, 2006

LEMME SHOW YOU SOMETHING!!!

Crows Turn Off posted:

Playing a game on the Switch while on the shitter >>> playing a game on the Vita remote play on the shitter

just for the analog sticks alone, plus the sometimes bad mapping of L1/R1 and L2/R2 to the Vita's shoulder buttons and back touch pad

Awesome! posted:

I love my Switch, but you'd have to be a mouth breather to not admit that it runs games at at much lower specs and fps than you'd get out of a PS4. Because of its portability, I'd rather get things on the Switch, but with stuff like how bad DQ Heroes ran on the Switch, the PS4 is still my main console this gen.

rabidsquid
Oct 11, 2004

LOVES THE KOG

i cant wait to play skyrim on the switch because driving is boring as poo poo and i should be able to play skyrim while doing so

Lakbay
Dec 14, 2006

My eye...MY EYE!!!

Samurai Sanders posted:

What drove me crazy about Dragon's Crown is they kept adding new visual options one after another to try to help the player keep track of where their character was but it was a series of bandaids over a gushing wound. The entire game was apparently designed to keep magical explosions covering the entire screen every single second.

I love magical explosions covering my entire screen in video games but yeah it was a problem and even one of the official(?) comics had a joke about it

Elephunk
Dec 6, 2007

Looking for the cheapest basic PS4 I can find online. Is there anywhere smarter to look than Amazon? I'm wary of buying a used one, not sure what other retailer would compete with Amazon's prices on new ones.

Healbot
Jul 7, 2006

very very very fucjable
very vywr very

exquisite tea posted:

Four.

FireMrshlBill
Aug 13, 2006

LEMME SHOW YOU SOMETHING!!!

rabidsquid posted:

i cant wait to play skyrim on the switch because driving is boring as poo poo and i should be able to play skyrim while doing so

This guy gets it

Elephunk posted:

Looking for the cheapest basic PS4 I can find online. Is there anywhere smarter to look than Amazon? I'm wary of buying a used one, not sure what other retailer would compete with Amazon's prices on new ones.

Just search everywhere. I know that Jet.com site used to give you a % or just $30 off your first order. Most places are usually comparable for new prices unless its a glitch (like the free XBone S bundles the other day).

Used isn't a bad way to go if you don't mind an OG PS4 since people upgrade to Pro's. Just be meticulous about finding a decent listing, if they have the original box and say they upgraded to the Pro, then they probably take care of their poo poo. The goon that got my launch PS4 got everything wrapped in their original plastic and twist ties, so just find another anal person like me.

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

exquisite tea posted:

Nice

VideoGames
Aug 18, 2003

Nostalgia4Dogges posted:

Oh man I forgot how dope the Spotify integration on PS4 was

Spotify would be perfect for the switch.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

rabidsquid posted:

Driving while playing Skyrim is a really dumb idea. RPGs are best experienced without Fast Travel.