Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
ZearothK
Aug 25, 2008

I've lost twice, I've failed twice and I've gotten two dishonorable mentions within 7 weeks. But I keep coming back. I am The Trooper!

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021

Rincewinds posted:

https://www.humblebundle.com/books/warhammer-rpg-books

Could be more tempting, if the most interesting/amusing parts lore was not already being presented here. Did the RPG part of old Warhammer die along with the boardgame since they are dumping them in a big heap?

Jeb Bush 2012 posted:

the latest (third) edition of WFRP ended (along with the 40k RPG) when GW cancelled all of their licensing deals with fantasy flight games, I dunno if they're planning on finding someone to make a new edition

Cubicle 7 is working on a 4th edition of WFRP (set in The Enemy Within era, just before the Storm of Chaos/End of Times) to be released within the year, and being more a successor to 1st and 2nd edition than to the third. They're also working on an Age of Sigmar RPG. With that in mind this humble bundle sounds like a pretty good way to build hype for the new edition.

Also the 2nd edition RPG books are pretty much the most interesting writing set in the Old World, in my opinion. Black Industries did an amazing work with that edition.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sedisp
Jun 20, 2012

rockopete posted:

I'm not saying they hosed it up or I have a better idea, just that your specific objections didn't seem to make much sense. I'm sure I'll be satisfied however they do it.

I was just suggesting reasons they might not have put in an actual lightning gun not that there was no way it could be done. Honestly it was more me rolling eyes at the nerds who were complaining that CA didn't do it because they were lazy.

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

WHFRP2e's is the best portrayal of Bretonnia in anything about the setting.

blindwoozie
Mar 1, 2008

Sedisp posted:

Theoretically you can I guess? Like you can dodge the magic in the game. Trees can block them too.

I think it's kind of solidify my worry that Dork Elves are pretty OP in the build they're playing.

They looked strong in the stream but I wouldn't exactly say their opponents were using balanced or competitive army comps. They may very well be op, but we need to see how it goes after release and watch the meta develop.

Kainser
Apr 27, 2010

O'er the sea from the north
there sails a ship
With the people of Hel
at the helm stands Loki
After the wolf
do wild men follow
I wouldn't really judge anything from one anecdotal tournament like that, the Dark Elf player might just be better at the game than the others (both picking good rosters and playing)

Sedisp
Jun 20, 2012

peer posted:

All new models are worse than their older versions because GW has had an obsessive drive to make their miniatures look more "epic", "awesome" and "badass", which hardly ever works out.

I don't get what do you mean!

https://www.games-workshop.com/en-NO/Stormcast-Eternals-Stardrake

Look at this very Epic and Awesome dude that doesn't look at all like something I drew on deviant art when I was 13

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem
IMO, while some of GW's newer models can be kind of overdesigned, some can still look cool. I love the new Deathguard line, greebles and all.

I still loving detest ground marines though, and the Slayer dwarfs on monsters, and the steampunk tophat dwarfs...Really, I guess I just hate Age of Sigmar.

Mordja fucked around with this message at 00:40 on Sep 14, 2017

AnEdgelord
Dec 12, 2016

ZearothK posted:

Cubicle 7 is working on a 4th edition of WFRP (set in The Enemy Within era, just before the Storm of Chaos/End of Times) to be released within the year, and being more a successor to 1st and 2nd edition than to the third. They're also working on an Age of Sigmar RPG. With that in mind this humble bundle sounds like a pretty good way to build hype for the new edition.

Also the 2nd edition RPG books are pretty much the most interesting writing set in the Old World, in my opinion. Black Industries did an amazing work with that edition.

I am shockingly ok with whf become an rpg setting only with no tabletop wargame to get in the way of it being an rpg setting.

Mordja posted:

IMO, while some of GW's newer models can be kind of overdesigned, some can still look cool. I love the new Deathguard line, greebles and all.

I still loving detest ground marines though, and the Slayer dwarfs on monsters, and the steampunk tophat dwarfs...Really, I guess I just hate Age of Sigmar.

I actually like the Khorne Bloodbound models but i'm a Chaos loving weirdo so :shrug:

Lord Koth
Jan 8, 2012

Sedisp posted:

I don't get what do you mean!

https://www.games-workshop.com/en-NO/Stormcast-Eternals-Stardrake

Look at this very Epic and Awesome dude that doesn't look at all like something I drew on deviant art when I was 13

Even aside from how incredibly dumb this looks, this is also so overdesigned it looks like a massive headache to actually paint for the average person - which is an issue since you need painted models to actually use them in stores. Like yeah, sure, there's always superlative painters and modelers who play the games, but the company at least used to have a relatively large playerbase that included lots of average, or worse, ones as well.

Constantine XI
Dec 21, 2003
omg turk rush
I think I'm more excited about the awesomely massive campaign map in the new game than any of the new races! Right now I'm in a crunch to finish all (most) of the playable races in the first game before the new one comes out.

Safety Factor
Oct 31, 2009

Grimey Drawer

rockopete posted:

I'm not saying they hosed it up or I have a better idea, just that your specific objections didn't seem to make much sense. I'm sure I'll be satisfied however they do it.

More generally, I do wish Games Workshop hadn't redone the Lightning Cannon. It's been a while since I kept up with tabletop and my last memory of the Warp Lightning Cannon was this

which I just discovered apparently became this...mess

that lightning bolt at the end makes the thing look particularly cheap.
The main issue with the second one is that it is also a dual kit. That, unfortunately, came with some design considerations to make parts compatible between the warp lightning cannon and the plagueclaw catapult.

ZearothK
Aug 25, 2008

I've lost twice, I've failed twice and I've gotten two dishonorable mentions within 7 weeks. But I keep coming back. I am The Trooper!

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021

LordAbaddon posted:

I am shockingly ok with whf become an rpg setting only with no tabletop wargame to get in the way of it being an rpg setting.

Yeah, same. A living RPG line and cool licensed games like Vermintide and Total Hammer, plus GW no longer loving up the setting by making it Grimdorker? This is pretty much the best scenario for Warhammer Fantasy.

Yeowch!!! My Balls!!!
May 31, 2006

rockopete posted:

Wow, they really will be two factions, same race. Somehow I hadn't realized that, thought it would be like Gelt and Karl Franz. Tyrion and Teclis too I assume. Since that leaves us with one LL per faction, what Legendary Lord D/FLC are we likely to see for elves?

the Crone and the Queen is such a no-brainer of a DLC name that it's a given.

Crone Hellebron, head of the Cult of Khaine, start a leetle north of Malekith and spend most of your time killing Chaos in the name of Kho- er, Khaine, using Witch Elves and Executioners that have been buffed to high heaven

Allariele the Radiant, Everqueen of Ulthuan, start in the north of Ulthuan or maybe in the Southlands for [insert justification here a la Teclis' start]. ludicrous buffs against Chaos, ludicrous buffs to archers, maybe do a redo of the Vlad/Isabella "if Tyrion and Allariele are in the same fight some poo poo goes down" mechanic.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

Ze Pollack posted:

Crone Hellebron, head of the Cult of Khaine, start a leetle north of Malekith and spend most of your time killing Chaos in the name of Kho- er, Khaine, using Witch Elves and Executioners that have been buffed to high heaven

For those unaware, Crone Hellebron is the supreme master of the Witch Elves. Witch Elves are the elf women in bikinis, and they're as durable as their attire suggests on the battlefield. They're only marginally more survivable off the battlefield, as killing your superior to take their job is even more acceptable to the witch elves than to the rest of the dark elves.

Crone Hellebron is a witch elf who's become an old woman. That should tell you something about how deadly she is, at least in the fluff.

Ralepozozaxe
Sep 6, 2010

A Veritable Smorgasbord!

Safety Factor posted:

The main issue with the second one is that it is also a dual kit. That, unfortunately, came with some design considerations to make parts compatible between the warp lightning cannon and the plagueclaw catapult.

I feel sorry for the poor guys who get those loaded mashed potatoes flung at them.

Sedisp
Jun 20, 2012

Mordja posted:

some of the Deathguard stuff is pretty cool.

and then

https://www.games-workshop.com/en-US/Death-Guard-Daemon-Primarch-Mortarion-2017

then you have this XxX666DarkSephir0th666XxX looking motherfucker

rockopete
Jan 19, 2005

Wow, and I thought Nagash was a little over the top...

ZearothK
Aug 25, 2008

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021

rockopete posted:

Wow, and I thought Nagash was a little over the top...

Nagash was fine.

hooman
Oct 11, 2007

This guy seems legit.
Fun Shoe

Sedisp posted:

some of the Deathguard stuff is pretty cool.

and then

https://www.games-workshop.com/en-US/Death-Guard-Daemon-Primarch-Mortarion-2017

then you have this XxX666DarkSephir0th666XxX looking motherfucker

Jesus what a mess.

Luminous Cow
Nov 2, 2007

Well you know there should be no law
on people that want to smoke a little dope.
Well you know it's good for your head
And it relax your body don't you know.

:420:

Sedisp posted:

I think it's kind of solidify my worry that Dork Elves are pretty OP in the build they're playing.

Dude at the beginning says the numbers aren't final and will definitely be different at release. Don't really see a need to fret.

Ammanas
Jul 17, 2005

Voltes V: "Laser swooooooooord!"
Man I am getting really worn down as Norsca of constantly fighting empire-faction armies with loving artillery and a ton of halbediers >:|

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

Do not trust in hope- it will betray you! Only faith and hatred sustain.

Ralepozozaxe posted:

Was it just me, or did Mazdamundi explode when he died in the multiplayer stream?

p sure slann 'death' animation is them teleporting away

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

Do not trust in hope- it will betray you! Only faith and hatred sustain.

Rincewinds posted:

https://www.humblebundle.com/books/warhammer-rpg-books

Could be more tempting, if the most interesting/amusing parts lore was not already being presented here. Did the RPG part of old Warhammer die along with the boardgame since they are dumping them in a big heap?

Are these worth picking up just for fluff bc I have like 0 interest in actually running them

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

They're the best overview of the Old World you're going to get, though the line only lasted like 3 years and thus didn't have time to get to stuff like dorfs, elfs, or Spaniards.

Magni
Apr 29, 2009
I love how in the stream the High and Dark Elves both put their light vanguard cavalry into the same goddamn forest, right on top of each other, and completely ruined each other's plan for a cheeky cav ambush. Talk about an awkward situation. :allears:

Magni fucked around with this message at 05:29 on Sep 14, 2017

Safety Factor
Oct 31, 2009

Grimey Drawer
So, uh, just how hard is the Beastmen's Fall of Man quest battle? I had two late-game stacks activate it and the balance of forces was like 25-75 in their favor. I've held off until tomorrow for now, but I figured I'd ask here so I had some idea of what I was getting into.

Tardcore
Jan 24, 2011

Not cool enough for the Spider-man club.

Safety Factor posted:

So, uh, just how hard is the Beastmen's Fall of Man quest battle? I had two late-game stacks activate it and the balance of forces was like 25-75 in their favor. I've held off until tomorrow for now, but I figured I'd ask here so I had some idea of what I was getting into.

I did that one with minimal losses, it was one of the easier battles imo, and this was before beastmen had those fancy RoRs

Delacroix
Dec 7, 2010

:munch:

ZearothK posted:

Nagash was fine.

I cannot picture Nagash doing anything but the Mentos smile with that model.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K4B50TTQhX4

Now I will be sorely disappointed when his in-game model is more grim, dark and edgy.

Fuligin
Oct 27, 2010

wait what the fuck??

StashAugustine posted:

Are these worth picking up just for fluff bc I have like 0 interest in actually running them

The Old World Bestiary is one of the best rpg supplements I've ever picked up, and is a lot of fun just as a read.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

Jeb Bush 2012 posted:

the latest (third) edition of WFRP ended (along with the 40k RPG) when GW cancelled all of their licensing deals with fantasy flight games, I dunno if they're planning on finding someone to make a new edition

e:

christ alive

They recently announced new iterations of the 40k RPG, WH Fantasy RPG and an Age of Sigmar RPG.

Also Malus Darkblade is actually a really fun character. (As someone said it turns out to make a guy named Darkblade an interesting character is to make him really really stupid.)

Afriscipio
Jun 3, 2013

I'm so bad at playing Bretonnia. I'm struggling with economy, winning battles and an overall strategy for the campaign. I get about 40 to 50 turns in and I can't keep up with the AI on hard. Any tips?

I've played other factions and just finished a Norsican campaign on hard. I just can't get to grips with the knighty fighty.

ZearothK
Aug 25, 2008

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021

Fuligin posted:

The Old World Bestiary is one of the best rpg supplements I've ever picked up, and is a lot of fun just as a read.

To add to that for those on the fence, the bulk of the book describes the creatures from in-setting point of views, such as scholars and commoners, plus their description of themselves if they are intelligent creatures, so you get all kinds of natural world-building from it; then at the end you get the creatures character sheets for use in-game.

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

Oh I see! This must be the Bad Opinion Zone!

Afriscipio posted:

I'm so bad at playing Bretonnia. I'm struggling with economy, winning battles and an overall strategy for the campaign. I get about 40 to 50 turns in and I can't keep up with the AI on hard. Any tips?

I've played other factions and just finished a Norsican campaign on hard. I just can't get to grips with the knighty fighty.

At least when I played, the thing was that you had a really nice and defensible position, but really expensive upkeep for your better troops relative to your income. But you also have the Chivalry thing slowly increasing the veterancy of your recruits. So, like, feel free to disband your expensive units and recruit them from scratch when you really need them. That'll make your economy much more manageable. You only really need enough to deal with beastmen wandering stacks.

To win battles I usually go with something like 40-50% cavalry, usually knight errants or knights of the realm. For bigger battles I go with one stack of infantry and one stack of knights. If I'm facing wood elves or something I bring more knights, and also some archers, and less infantry.

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

ZearothK posted:

To add to that for those on the fence, the bulk of the book describes the creatures from in-setting point of views, such as scholars and commoners, plus their description of themselves if they are intelligent creatures, so you get all kinds of natural world-building from it; then at the end you get the creatures character sheets for use in-game.

Also there's entire subplots with some of the repeated commenters, like the Chaos Cultist professor who is constantly spreading lies about the other critters, or the Skaven assassin whose comments on every creature is just how to poison it most efficiently.

Vlex
Aug 4, 2006
I'd rather be a climbing ape than a big titty angel.

ZearothK posted:

40K had a similar publication whose name escapes me, minus the creature stats. It was from the point of view of an Inquisitor dissecting various Xenos species for research (Eldar, Hrud, Ork, and so forth) until he gets taken out by a captive Necron Lord, I think?. Was great.

RBA-Wintrow
Nov 4, 2009

Clapping Larry
New video up:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZyuiR5mvvgI

Total War: Warhammer 2 - Welcome to the New World

Perestroika
Apr 8, 2010

RBA-Wintrow posted:

New video up:

I enjoy how "giant skill hewn right into a mountainside" remains a fixture across all continents. :allears:

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth
It just wouldn't be Warhams without skulls everywhere, including some giant ones.

You want Morr on your side, don't you?

Mans
Sep 14, 2011

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Chomp8645 posted:

FFA mode sounds like something that will be really cool for about five matches and then never played again.

That's the entire history of Total War multiplayer.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kaza42
Oct 3, 2013

Blood and Souls and all that

RBA-Wintrow posted:

New video up:

That Dark Elf city looks kinda silly. There's these huge walls the size of mountains, except for one section of the curtain wall where it's the Standard Siege Size and everything looks iiiiiitty bitty

• Locked thread