Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
AdmiralViscen
Nov 2, 2011

Uncle Lizard posted:

Would you prefer vixen?

Try person

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Uncle Lizard
Sep 28, 2012

by Athanatos

Well you're no fun, or maybe it's an inside joke that only I know about. Either way, not funny to you.

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

TFW you see Flyers goaltending.
Grimey Drawer

Uncle Lizard posted:

Pan is the 16 GB plan, with 3 lines, 2 extra GB per line, two Pixel XL's on device payment plans, and a government employee discount. I pay about $211 per month. Princess said I could go up to 24 GB per month and keep my extra 2 GB per line for only $16 more per month. She said I could go unlimited for ~$27 more per month. Princess hooked me up with extra data for the rest of the month, but I'll be watching my data next month to see if I have the same problem with misreported data usage.

You are correct, the 24GB plan isn't that much more Than the 16GB and it keeps your data promo.

zimbomonkey
Jul 15, 2008

Tattoos? On MY black quarterback?
Yeah verizon up is a scam. Signed up just to get a free copy of madden and no copies were available for the xbox one within half a second of the promo launching this morning. now to figure out how to cancel this program

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

"Stand back, Ottawan ruffian, or face my lumens!"
It'd be different if they let you transfer Smart Rewards points to the new program, but as it stands, the only thing Smart Rewards seems like it'll do for me and the ~127,000 points I've accrued is give me a pretty baller rate for an LA visit this February. Hopefully making a hotel reservation using those points doesn't kill the reservation when the program ends.

Kinfolk Jones
Oct 31, 2010

Faaaaaaaaast
Does anyone know if Verizon will be doing the trade your old iPhone for $650 credit for the new phone release that they did last year?

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Kinfolk Jones posted:

Does anyone know if Verizon will be doing the trade your old iPhone for $650 credit for the new phone release that they did last year?

Unknown. iPhone announcement is tuesday. Normally it goes (over a few days):

-Tuesday: Apple announces phone, preorder and launch dates.
-Verizon announces they will have the phone, get the best phone on the best network.
-T-Mobile announces some crazy promo
-Verizon execs panic, claim T-Mobile is crazy
-Verizon releases PR saying don't be fooled, get the iPhone on the best network.
-a day or so later, Verizon execs continue to panic, decide to match the T-Mobile promos
-because they didn't plan on the promos up front, sales reps are told to offer promos, and tell customers it will just take "2-3 bill cycles" to show up. Don't worry , no issues
-then 6 months of billing issues and customer escalations for credits that are way over what a store's budget would be.

Hold onto your butts....

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

I'd be very, very surprised if the iPhone X gets that promo. They might do it for the iPhone 8/8+, though.

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Endless Mike posted:

I'd be very, very surprised if the iPhone X gets that promo. They might do it for the iPhone 8/8+, though.

Probably. Honestly, a good nod to Verizon promos is the current one on the note 8.

For the Note 8 they're offering trade ins up to half off the phone. So $336-$480 phone trade ins. With a $1,000+ phone, even T-Mobile isn't crazy enough to give it away for free (someone quote this if I end up being wrong).

So I would bet with trade in, but maybe without. But either my bet is $400-650 off (all models), making the lowest cost new phone free or mostly free, and basically if you want the more expensive phones you pay the difference.

Kinfolk Jones
Oct 31, 2010

Faaaaaaaaast

Duckman2008 posted:

Probably. Honestly, a good nod to Verizon promos is the current one on the note 8.

For the Note 8 they're offering trade ins up to half off the phone. So $336-$480 phone trade ins. With a $1,000+ phone, even T-Mobile isn't crazy enough to give it away for free (someone quote this if I end up being wrong).

So I would bet with trade in, but maybe without. But either my bet is $400-650 off (all models), making the lowest cost new phone free or mostly free, and basically if you want the more expensive phones you pay the difference.

That seems logical. My wife is going to be getting rid of her 6 and probably jumping into the 64gb 8 (or whatever the middle size ends up being)

kitten smoothie
Dec 29, 2001

If you have one of the February 2017 unlimited plans do you need to take any action to get the $10/day international roaming pricing, or is that pre-set on the account? I don't want to leave the country, happily use my phone, and then get a $1000 bill for looking up a couple google maps.

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

Grimey Drawer

kitten smoothie posted:

If you have one of the February 2017 unlimited plans do you need to take any action to get the $10/day international roaming pricing, or is that pre-set on the account? I don't want to leave the country, happily use my phone, and then get a $1000 bill for looking up a couple google maps.

Call international at (800) 711-8300 it is not on by default.

spf3million
Sep 27, 2007

hit 'em with the rhythm

Duckman2008 posted:

Call international at (800) 711-8300 it is not on by default.
Thanks for posting this number, the guy who picked up was super helpful.

Irritated Goat
Mar 12, 2005

This post is pathetic.
Wife's thinking of upgrading her phone. The site shows $27\mo to do it on the Upgrade plane. If I remember correctly, we were getting a discount for having multiple lines or multiple phones on the upgrade plan. Does that show on site or is there a break down of that so I know the real cost per month?

Thwomp
Apr 10, 2003

BA-DUHHH

Grimey Drawer
So if you have a Verizon Unlimited plan, they're offering $200-$300 on turn in devices for iPhone 8/8+ pre-orders.

The $300 offer is good for phones like the iPhone 6S/7, Galaxy S7/S8, Pixel XL, LG G6, etc (out since 2015ish).

The $200 offer is good for phones like the iPhone 6/SE, Galaxy S6, Pixel, LG G5, etc (2014).

There's even a $100 for older phones like the iPhone 5/5S/5C and Galaxy S5.

For my 3 year old phone, I might be able to squeeze out a bit more on eBay but $200 is a pretty sweet deal.

Thwomp fucked around with this message at 19:13 on Sep 13, 2017

Kinfolk Jones
Oct 31, 2010

Faaaaaaaaast

Thwomp posted:

So if you have a Verizon Unlimited plan, they're offering $200-$300 on turn in devices for iPhone 8/8+ pre-orders.

The $300 offer is good for phones like the iPhone 6S/7, Galaxy S7/S8, Pixel XL, LG G6, etc (out since 2015ish).

The $200 offer is good for phones like the iPhone 6/SE, Galaxy S6, Pixel, LG G5, etc (2014).

There's even a $100 for older phones like the iPhone 5/5S/5C and Galaxy S5.

For my 3 year old phone, I might be able to squeeze out a bit more on eBay but $200 is a pretty sweet deal.

Well thats dissapointing to hear.

So for my wifes situation, she currently has an iPhone 6 that she finished the device payments on. Will Verizon give her anything for trading in on a non-unlimited plan or am I better of selling it on Craigslist?

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Kinfolk Jones posted:

Well thats dissapointing to hear.

So for my wifes situation, she currently has an iPhone 6 that she finished the device payments on. Will Verizon give her anything for trading in on a non-unlimited plan or am I better of selling it on Craigslist?

I'm off today but I'll check on stuff tomorrow to see what the terms are.

Craigslist / swappa usually gets a better return anyway, it just depends on whether you're willing to take the time.

Dancing Peasant
Jul 19, 2003

All this for stealing a piece of bread? :waycool:

So say if I were to purchase/preorder an Apple Watch on the 15th, how much would it cost on my current Unlimited Plan? I read $5/month, but now I'm reading that it will double because Apple.

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Dancing Peasant posted:

So say if I were to purchase/preorder an Apple Watch on the 15th, how much would it cost on my current Unlimited Plan? I read $5/month, but now I'm reading that it will double because Apple.

I think $10.

WithoutTheFezOn
Aug 28, 2005
Oh no
I may have asked this before, but what would a person have to do if they were to buy the $200 iPhone SE for Verizon prepaid and wanted to get it to work on a postpaid account? Would it be as easy as paying for one month of prepaid and then switching SIM cards? Or is it six months? Would Verizon have to unlock it first in either case? Or is it just not worth trying?

8-bit Miniboss
May 24, 2005

CORPO COPS CAME FOR MY :filez:
I picked the wrong loving night to pay my bill. The bill pay page broke twice on me when I clicked to pay and now I have 2 bills worth of payments with no confirmation numbers. :negative:

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

WithoutTheFezOn posted:

I may have asked this before, but what would a person have to do if they were to buy the $200 iPhone SE for Verizon prepaid and wanted to get it to work on a postpaid account? Would it be as easy as paying for one month of prepaid and then switching SIM cards? Or is it six months? Would Verizon have to unlock it first in either case? Or is it just not worth trying?

You have to be on prepaid for six months or something.

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Endless Mike posted:

You have to be on prepaid for six months or something.

Supposedly is only one month service now, but I haven't tried it yet.

FYI, the trade In promo for the iPhone 8/8+ is $100, $200 or $300 depending on the phone, credit over 2 years. It is for both new and current , but ONLY for unlimited plans (Newest and the other most recent).

Apple Watch will be $10 a month, they offer 3 months free, you can pay up front or buy on payment plan of $66.50 over 6 months.

ThermoPhysical
Dec 26, 2007

Friend of mine got the Moto Z Play from Verizon to replace his dying 6P. He's since RMA'd his 6P and Google gave him a Pixel XL. He's wondering if the Z Play can be used on other carriers since it has radios for other carriers or if it's 100% exclusive to use only on Verizon.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

I've heard of people having success using it on other carriers without much screwing around.

ThermoPhysical
Dec 26, 2007

bull3964 posted:

I've heard of people having success using it on other carriers without much screwing around.

Thanks!

Thwomp
Apr 10, 2003

BA-DUHHH

Grimey Drawer
So to get the Unlimited promo deal for the iPhone 8, does that have to be ordered through Verizon's site or would Apple's Store app be able to also apply that promo?

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

Grimey Drawer
Website doesn't say. I think it should work for all channels then, but I can't guarantee that.

Hey, if anyone is preordering tonight through Verizon, if you PM me, I can provide a link and sales code that gives me sales credit (I don't want to post it publicly).

ThermoPhysical
Dec 26, 2007

Duckman2008 posted:

Website doesn't say. I think it should work for all channels then, but I can't guarantee that.

Hey, if anyone is preordering tonight through Verizon, if you PM me, I can provide a link and sales code that gives me sales credit (I don't want to post it publicly).

Will you be doing this for the new Pixels whenever they release?

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

Grimey Drawer

ThermoPhysical posted:

Will you be doing this for the new Pixels whenever they release?

Yes, in general Verizon rolled out where if you go through a sales portal and put in my code, I get credit. Which is pretty nice.

I can even build a cart, and if the customer in store "has to think about it," it saves to their online account with my code, so if they order within the next like, week I get credit.

I can actually post official links on my Facebook and such if I wanted to, but I'm not comfortable mixing work and personal like that.

Overall though, it's one thing Verizon has been working on (getting us paid with less people walking in the door) that I am a fan of. I don't get much from it, but I think with preorders and launches it will start to help.

Thwomp
Apr 10, 2003

BA-DUHHH

Grimey Drawer
I actually ended up being offered $250 for each of the iPhone 6 devices we were upgrading from. So that was a nice surprise.

Three-Phase
Aug 5, 2006

by zen death robot
I discovered today that my Verizon account was locked out for "too many password attempts".

I went ahead and reset everything with no problem but I am trying to figure out what the hell happened. I can think of three scenarios:

- System glitch on Verizon's end
- Some idiot with a similar phone number tried logging in with my number
- Someone is legit trying to break into my account (either just trying tons of accounts or targeting me)

8-bit Miniboss
May 24, 2005

CORPO COPS CAME FOR MY :filez:

Three-Phase posted:

I discovered today that my Verizon account was locked out for "too many password attempts".

I went ahead and reset everything with no problem but I am trying to figure out what the hell happened. I can think of three scenarios:

- System glitch on Verizon's end
- Some idiot with a similar phone number tried logging in with my number
- Someone is legit trying to break into my account (either just trying tons of accounts or targeting me)

Could be any number of reasons, but the Equifax breach has me paranoid. Recommend setting a PIN on your account for over the phone stuff.

Three-Phase
Aug 5, 2006

by zen death robot

8-bit Miniboss posted:

Could be any number of reasons, but the Equifax breach has me paranoid. Recommend setting a PIN on your account for over the phone stuff.

Did that many months ago and even changed it recently. Wish they had six-digit pins.

One saving grace with the password is that even if they did get it since it wasn't from a registered computer or device it would have went and asked my security question. (The answer to that is pretty strong/obscure but I do know it.)

Yeah, it has me paranoid too. :sigh:

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

Grimey Drawer

8-bit Miniboss posted:

Yeah, I froze my credit after seeing th equifax stuff.

We get a lot of fraud walking through the door, and it's likely to increase with the Equifax poo poo. It's really frustrating to work with sometimes. Sometimes Verizon is really good and blocks it. I've seen two different times where I flag an application (puts a hold on the credit and the person has to call fraud) , and then the person who is obviously fraud calls and convinces them that it's legit, and they come back two days later with approved application numbers.

End of the day, there's always someone who doesn't know better and green lights the fraud. I had a blatantly obvious one that came back through trying to add more lines after getting a base account setup at Target (target employees are probably not the most thorough or educated on this).

Three-Phase
Aug 5, 2006

by zen death robot
So does Verizon have a fraud department (not asking for phone numbers or information here) that deals wth things like fraudulent applications (new phones and lines) as well as things like existing account takeover?

Hopefully this is a dumb question.

Also I NEVER re-use passwords, security questions, and pins.

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Three-Phase posted:

So does Verizon have a fraud department (not asking for phone numbers or information here) that deals wth things like fraudulent applications (new phones and lines) as well as things like existing account takeover?

Hopefully this is a dumb question.

Also I NEVER re-use passwords, security questions, and pins.

Absolutely they have a fraud department, and it's def able to be given out. (888) 483-7200

They deal with all that. Honestly, they have a tough task ahead of them. They're the focal point of caution where you have both sales reps that "just want to get sales through" and customers who are super demanding and don't always realize why a rule or delay is there.

Some reps will lift up fraud, but most are pretty good about it I feel like. Verizon charges back sales, so there's no reason to sell fraud from a commission stand point.

Three-Phase
Aug 5, 2006

by zen death robot
Cool - thank you very much for your help on this guys. I really appreciate it.

If wierd stuff happens again I will reach out to the fraud department.

Three-Phase fucked around with this message at 03:33 on Sep 16, 2017

Canned Sunshine
Nov 20, 2005

CAUTION: POST QUALITY UNDER CONSTRUCTION

So I pre-ordered a 8+ 64GB early this morning and decided that I might actually want a 256GB model. I tried calling *611 to see if I could change it, but was told that since I'd agreed to the terms online, I couldn't and would have to either return it once I receive it or reject the delivery.

What are the chances that there will be models available for me to walk in-store on 9/22 and swap to a 256, and can I do that if I'm on the 24 month payment plan? I also don't understand why they couldn't have simply done it via phone, since reading online, as recently as last fall's iPhone release it seemed like people were able to...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

Grimey Drawer

SourKraut posted:

So I pre-ordered a 8+ 64GB early this morning and decided that I might actually want a 256GB model. I tried calling *611 to see if I could change it, but was told that since I'd agreed to the terms online, I couldn't and would have to either return it once I receive it or reject the delivery.

What are the chances that there will be models available for me to walk in-store on 9/22 and swap to a 256, and can I do that if I'm on the 24 month payment plan? I also don't understand why they couldn't have simply done it via phone, since reading online, as recently as last fall's iPhone release it seemed like people were able to...

I would stop by a store. Mileage will vary, but in store the rep themselves can't cancel it, but they should be able to call their channel support who would cancel it.

Between the iPhone X sipping s bit of demand and lack of excitement in general, I don't think it'll be as crazy as other years for his launch. The plus version will be more in demand than the regular 8, but I think if you get there early you've got a good shot. But you need that order canceled or they won't be able to sell it to you on launch day.

Then again i have been known to make mistakes.....from time to time...

• Locked thread