Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
Kai became Indiana Tintin Bond having adventures. He did more than fine.

And Sayla just said gently caress it and retired at the ripe old age of twenty.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

Tulalip Tulips posted:

Put everyone's top two pilots from each Gundam series into G-Gundam style machine and fight it out. Winner can fight Domon.

If we're talking dream matches, and assuming that the mobile suits are equalized enough to make it come down to pilot skill, I'd love to see a Raiden and Armstrong bit between Mikazuki and Gym Ghingham.

Mika's the end product of Gym's ideal world of wars, and consequently has about nothing in common with him. If it was anyone other that Gym, that might make him reconsider some things.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Guy Goodbody posted:

As long as they learned from the mistakes of Try, I'd be up for a third season of Build Fighters

Actually what we can learn from this is not to let Shinya Watada direct it. GM's Counterattack had the Build Fighters director (Kenji Nagasaki) and Try's writer (Yōsuke Kuroda).

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009

Tulalip Tulips posted:

Put everyone's top two pilots from each Gundam series into G-Gundam style machine and fight it out. Winner can fight Domon.

Cut to Domon getting annihilated by a combined Moonlit Butterfly/UNIVERSE! attack.

tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~

Blaze Dragon posted:

If animated Crossbone hasn't happened yet, I doubt it'll happen.

If Banrise were going to make an animated Crossbone adaption they'd probably have done it in the late 90's or early 2000's when Gundam X and Turn-A had both failed, since Crossbone is a UC show with a definite fanbase and would have been a sure fire way to guarantee at least some interest and approval for their next show. Instead they made SEED. Which netted them even more bux than Crossbone was likely to ever do, even if the people paying were more fickle. As is, Crossbone itself wrapped up more than 20 years ago and they've already sold all the really photogenic Gundam designs multiple times over so any new Gunpla adverts (i.e. animations) would likely suffer from diminishing returns even if they redesigned them a bit or simply resold them. I really don't see why they'd bother with Crossbone, though I may be biased, since while there's a few nice designs the actual plot and characters never did much for me.

LuiCypher
Apr 24, 2010

Today I'm... amped up!

Arcsquad12 posted:

Kai became Indiana Tintin Bond having adventures. He did more than fine.

Kai was very important in that he let everyone know that Captain Quattro, he is a CHAR...

...Which was a surprise to practically nobody on the main cast except for maybe Kamille.

amigolupus
Aug 25, 2017

Speaking of Kai, I've read that in one of the routes in G Generation DS he becomes some sort of Newtype Übermensch? Does anyone know what's up with that? I've not seen any source that goes into detail about it,other than it being a story AU where Amuro dies during 0079.

RillAkBea
Oct 11, 2008

One of the things I personally disliked most about Try was how many of the fights devolved into trashy 1-on-1 power duels. Most of the time it's completely obvious who's going to win, the interesting part is the strategies, so when you reduce it to the characters just farting out larger and larger beams it just sucks any kind of joy or excitement out of the show.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

amigolupus posted:

Speaking of Kai, I've read that in one of the routes in G Generation DS he becomes some sort of Newtype Übermensch? Does anyone know what's up with that? I've not seen any source that goes into detail about it,other than it being a story AU where Amuro dies during 0079.

Basically:

In the Gundam novels the White Base is almost entirely Newtypes and extremely powerful ones at that, to the point they are gaining in power so quickly that Kai, Amuro and Hayato are effectively able to take out an entire Zeon armada on their own. After Amuro's death in the novel Kai Shiden is actually the no-poo poo strongest newtype around and is actually able to guide them to Ghiren Zabi by following the evil pressure he gives out. However he's still Kai Shiden and so he hates the everliving poo poo out of Zeon and Char. The rest of the White Base crew remains on Zeon afterwards but Kai returns to the Federation instead. G Gen DS basically follows after that and so when the Nu Gundam is made it's Kai, not Amuro, who is the pilot.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

RillAkBea posted:

One of the things I personally disliked most about Try was how many of the fights devolved into trashy 1-on-1 power duels. Most of the time it's completely obvious who's going to win, the interesting part is the strategies, so when you reduce it to the characters just farting out larger and larger beams it just sucks any kind of joy or excitement out of the show.

Assimilation killed any hope of a good fight with the Try Burning Gundam stone dead the moment it was introduced, because any decent damage would put Sekai in the ICU. What also helped keep fights interesting in Build Fighters was there'd be entire episodes dedicated to characters who weren't the main protagonists. Which means that as the protagonist's progress in the Cup isn't at stake, maybe the fight really could go either way this time :suspense:.

Pureauthor
Jul 8, 2010

ASK ME ABOUT KISSING A GHOST
I mean, absolutely no one thought Meijin was going to lose against the Renatos but many people would call that the single best fight in the show.

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

Pureauthor posted:

I mean, absolutely no one thought Meijin was going to lose against the Renatos but many people would call that the single best fight in the show.

The tournament format in general means there's usually not a lot of big surprises in a show like that (and sports anime in general for that matter). It's more about how they win than if they will.

Monaghan
Dec 29, 2006

Yeah no one really expects the heroes to lose but it's all how you choreograph the fight.

The battles in BF seemed tense because the fights resulted in Sei model getting damaged and the fights were very creative, with stuff like him adding super glue to the arms or pulling out tactics from char's counterattack to win. While build knuckle was a finisher, for the most part, it wasn't just a "I win" button.

EDIT- even when the build knuckle was a "I win" button, like in Aila's fight, the fight itself wasn't the main focus. The focus of that fight was Aila learning to have the courage to get away from a bad situation. The characters conflict was the primary drive, with the build knuckle just a way of getting around her insanely broken special ability.

Monaghan fucked around with this message at 18:00 on Sep 14, 2017

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Though BF didn't use it as well as it could have the model damage idea is actually REALLY good for a sports idea for the same reason that like car damage is. You can have actual consequences without permanently taking the protagonists out of the fight. (You can do this in traditional sports as well but injury is a bit more serious.)

Pureauthor
Jul 8, 2010

ASK ME ABOUT KISSING A GHOST
Right. The model damage was what allowed for my personal favourite fight - Star Build Strike vs Wing Gundam Fenice. It would not have been half as effective if both machines hadn't been completely and utterly wrecked by the end of it.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Monaghan posted:

Yeah no one really expects the heroes to lose but it's all how you choreograph the fight.

The battles in BF seemed tense because the fights resulted in Sei model getting damaged and the fights were very creative, with stuff like him adding super glue to the arms or pulling out tactics from char's counterattack to win. While build knuckle was a finisher, for the most part, it wasn't just a "I win" button.

EDIT- even when the build knuckle was a "I win" button, like in Aila's fight, the fight itself wasn't the main focus. The focus of that fight was Aila learning to have the courage to get away from a bad situation. The characters conflict was the primary drive, with the build knuckle just a way of getting around her insanely broken special ability.

Broadly speaking, what kept the Build Knuckle from being annoying the way JIGEN HAOH RYUU was was that the fights geared towards how to best apply that one punch rather than just delivering it arbitrarily. Most battles turned into trying to make even a small opening to deliver that KO blow, because their opponents were all too aware of how it worked and exploited its weaknesses (eg, going right for the shield at the start of the fight so it can't be fed particles). the Build Knuckle wasn't even all that overpowered in the grand scheme of things when you consider it got stopped clean by the Fenice with a fist wrapped in its energy cloak (well, at least did equal damage back, anyway).

ImpAtom posted:

Though BF didn't use it as well as it could have the model damage idea is actually REALLY good for a sports idea for the same reason that like car damage is. You can have actual consequences without permanently taking the protagonists out of the fight. (You can do this in traditional sports as well but injury is a bit more serious.)

I have to disagree with this, just a little, just because part of what kept Build Fighters entertaining was watching people get their best poo poo wrecked and creating the impetus to rebuild something new from what was left rather than just shrugging it off and walking away afterwards.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Neddy Seagoon posted:

I have to disagree with this, just a little, just because part of what kept Build Fighters entertaining was watching people get their best poo poo wrecked and creating the impetus to rebuild something new from what was left rather than just shrugging it off and walking away afterwards.

I think you might have misread or I phrased it badly because that is what I meant.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

ImpAtom posted:

I think you might have misread or I phrased it badly because that is what I meant.

Ah, sorry :cripes:.

Gyra_Solune
Apr 24, 2014

Kyun kyun
Kyun kyun
Watashi no kare wa louse
what exactly was the point of twilight axis again

it sure was a thing with a gundam in it

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
Did it finish? I lost interest after the third episode. And that was an improvement over the first

Monaghan
Dec 29, 2006

Gyra_Solune posted:

what exactly was the point of twilight axis again

it sure was a thing with a gundam in it

it gives bandai and excuse to sell 15 year old model kits.

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo
When I first heard the announcement, and especially after watching the first episode, I assumed that the plan all along was to make a 20 minute OVA, and then cut it up and air it in chunks to promote their streaming service before releasing the whole thing.

But clearly, they can't do that. There's no way to make a coherent story out of those episodes. They'd need to make another five minutes worth of connecting and expository scenes to string all that mess together.

Monaghan posted:

it gives bandai and excuse to sell 15 year old model kits.

That's the crazy thing, the model support is so half-assed. Only one kit got a general release. And it's not like the Alex doesn't badly need a new kit, the fact that they didn't take this chance to make a new HG or, god forbid RG, Alex is the most baffling part.

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo
What even was the plot of Twilight Axis? A Zeon mechanic who met Lalah goes to Axis some time after Char's Counterattack and gets emotional closure. But why was she going there? She found a Mobile Armor that I think she might've built, was that the goal? And also some other people were there and they had a fight, and some faceless unnamed soldiers died, were they fighting over the Mobile Armor?

Azubah
Jun 5, 2007

Guy Goodbody posted:

What even was the plot of Twilight Axis?

Jazz is awesome.

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

The idea of hyper-condensing a novel down into 25ish minutes of footage is at least an interesting one but man you have to be a genius to make that work and sadly the Twilight Axis staff is not that.

Raxivace fucked around with this message at 02:10 on Sep 15, 2017

DamnGlitch
Sep 2, 2004

The episodes barely scanned as functional trailers for a real show. Its novel in that it is a proof of concept that, no, 90 seconds is not enough time to tell a story in the way they attempted to.

I think they could have maybe come up with something slightly more legible if it were written from scratch to take advantage of that arbitrary limitation, but as an adaptation i think it was doomed to failure.

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

DamnGlitch posted:

The episodes barely scanned as functional trailers for a real show. Its novel in that it is a proof of concept that, no, 90 seconds is not enough time to tell a story in the way they attempted to.

I think they could have maybe come up with something slightly more legible if it were written from scratch to take advantage of that arbitrary limitation, but as an adaptation i think it was doomed to failure.

Yeah, trying to tell a dramatic story with less runtime than the first episode of Inferno Cop is more than a bit tricky.

But even allowing for that, Twilight Axis didn't really work. It was easier to follow from the summaries at the bottom of the Youtube pages than from the actual episodes. The animation wasn't really... animated, and the way it kept tossing new Mobile Suits around every thirty seconds didn't help anything.

No idea what the deal was there.

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post
i have created a gundam AMV
someone pull me out I have gone too deep
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dZzaXIHTpFo

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.
I liked it.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012
I'm just surprised and disappointed that nobody has set an AMV of the various shows of the Gundam franchise to the main title from Star Wars.

Yes, I know about that video that swaps out the music to the Zeta Gundam opening, but it's not quite the same.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
The 0083 intro swapped with Kenny loggins music is disturbingly synced up

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

Arcsquad12 posted:

You tell no lie.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0bhCMoMYXfo

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009

Arcsquad12 posted:

It's because 0083 is at least 50% Top Gun.

Patter Song
Mar 26, 2010

Hereby it is manifest that during the time men live without a common power to keep them all in awe, they are in that condition which is called war; and such a war as is of every man against every man.
Fun Shoe
I'm kind of craving to watch a Gundam series I haven't seen before, but there's...um...not many of them.

The two that come to mind are Gundam Seed and Gundam 00, which I never watched because people said bad things about both. Should I look elsewhere, or should I give one or the other of these a shot?

EDIT: I also haven't watched AGE, but I'm not even remotely considering that one.

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo

Patter Song posted:

I'm kind of craving to watch a Gundam series I haven't seen before, but there's...um...not many of them.

The two that come to mind are Gundam Seed and Gundam 00, which I never watched because people said bad things about both. Should I look elsewhere, or should I give one or the other of these a shot?

EDIT: I also haven't watched AGE, but I'm not even remotely considering that one.

The first season of Gundam 00 is definitely good, and definitely worth watching. And the second season isn't that bad, it's just sort of generic and forgettable. The only reason people rag on 00 S2 so much is because it wastes the good stuff in the first season.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Patter Song posted:

No, absolutely watch SEED or 00 first. Both are flawed series but SEED is pretty influential on the franchise and while it's frigging hideous it's honestly not that bad a series on its own. (Destiny massively ups its flaws.) 00 is also likewise a flawed series but not unwatchable and is badly hurt by its second part. If you've seen the rest of Gundam neither of those should be unwatchable for you and you might enjoy one or both.

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

If you're going to watch SEED, watch the dub for Rau alone.

Patter Song
Mar 26, 2010

Hereby it is manifest that during the time men live without a common power to keep them all in awe, they are in that condition which is called war; and such a war as is of every man against every man.
Fun Shoe
Thanks. I'll give 00 a shot.

I've had good experiences with otherwise-maligned Gundam series (ZZ and X were both series I liked despite hearing a lot of bad things going in). Of course, some maligned stuff did turn out to be terrible, like F91, a movie that was almost impossibly dull and hard to sit through.

ACES CURE PLANES
Oct 21, 2010

Aww man, another fake Mark Gatha twitter account happened. Took him less than 24 hours to go from 0 to full MAGA.

https://twitter.com/MinovskyArticle/status/909559813662806017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

He already deleted his account.