Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Rhyno posted:

Did I see people trashing This Is Us? Maybe in the Orville thread?

I haven't trashed it for a while, but happy to recommence. Although it was only based on the first episode, which did absolutely nothing to make me want to watch further.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

feedmyleg posted:

Oh. I thought you were talking about Discovery. Strike that. Borg weren't even around yet :downs:

Didn't stop them from showing up in Enterprise.

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

zoux posted:

It already had the second best debut for a scripted show since This Is Us, and after they adjusted it, it tied with This Is Us. I mean, it could crater of course but right now it's a smash.
Ironic choice of words. Let me tell you about a show called Smash...

bagrada
Aug 4, 2007

The Demogorgon is tired of your silly human bickering!

Snak posted:

Just stop making star trek.

Just let it die.

Counterpoint: yearly star trek movies from Joss Whedon to compete with the yearly star wars movies from JJ Abrams.

hope and vaseline
Feb 13, 2001

bagrada posted:

Counterpoint: yearly star trek movies from Joss Whedon to compete with the yearly star wars movies from JJ Abrams.

I don't think Star Trek is ready for a future martial arts officer lady who doesn't wear shoes

IRQ
Sep 9, 2001

SUCK A DICK, DUMBSHITS!

hope and vaseline posted:

I don't think Star Trek is ready for a future martial arts officer lady who doesn't wear shoes

On the other hand, Tasha Yarr is the OG small lady beating up giant dudes in a sci fi show.

Just cut the feet off the starfleet onesie and Whedon would be down.

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

You've got to admit, you are kind of implausible

There's a Scientology flick on Netflix called "My Scientology Movie" that's all kinds of hosed up.

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

IRQ posted:

On the other hand, Tasha Yarr is the OG small lady beating up giant dudes in a sci fi show.

Just cut the feet off the starfleet onesie and Whedon would be down.

Speaking of Star Trek onesies, I've always wondered how they managed to get in and out of those things.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

hope and vaseline posted:

Are we forgetting who rebooted the ST movies in the first place

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

zoux posted:

Are we forgetting who rebooted the ST movies in the first place
JJ is farther removed from his Alias self than Whedon is with Buffy.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Iron Crowned posted:

Speaking of Star Trek onesies, I've always wondered how they managed to get in and out of those things.

The first season TNG ones were supposedly hell to wear because they were all super tight and impossible to clean so they stank to high heaven.

bentacos
Oct 9, 2012
Supposedly it also wrecked Jonathan Frakes' back, and that's why Riker sits down like this

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lVIGhYMwRgs

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Uh pretty sure it's because that's the coolest possible way to take a seat and Riker owns.

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

zoux posted:

Uh pretty sure it's because that's the coolest possible way to take a seat and Riker owns.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

bentacos posted:

Supposedly it also wrecked Jonathan Frakes' back, and that's why Riker sits down like this

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lVIGhYMwRgs

WHat I want is that it started with the uncomfortable costumes and even after they got new ones he just kept doing that because he is that committed to the role.

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

Star Trek doesn't work for me when they increasingly become more grimdark with every new iteration. It's weird and shoehorned in. The Expanse had it from the start so i think it works much better there. I love DS9 and all but it's odd when they have a wacky James Bond episode mixed with an afterschool special about racism in America.

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

When TNG cast complain about the early uniforms, what specifically are they talking about? I remember someone saying "they didn't hide anything" and I assumed he was referring to his penis, but it also seemed like he was referring to body fat.

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

They were 2 sizes too small because wrinkles didn't exist in the future. Patrick's doctor told him to sue the company for his back trouble.

asecondduck
Feb 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo

zoux posted:

Make a new ST in the prime universe that's what everyone wants. Make it after the Dominion War, make it include all those geo-political shifts, make it about people in favor of militarizing Starfleet following a near existential military defeat vs. people who want to preserve the Federations peaceful mission. Make it about exploring the Gamma Quadrant, make it about only Klingons or whatever just stop moving backwards in time because you are afraid of confusing people who don't know the movies and TV are different. Stop making shows for the stupidest people in the world. Thank you.

What I'm hearing is that they should bring DS9 back and I would be totally down with that.

IRQ
Sep 9, 2001

SUCK A DICK, DUMBSHITS!

Josh Lyman posted:

When TNG cast complain about the early uniforms, what specifically are they talking about? I remember someone saying "they didn't hide anything" and I assumed he was referring to his penis, but it also seemed like he was referring to body fat.

Imagine having your bits all compressed like that for a long day of shooting. I can totally see how you'd have to sit all weird to keep your balls from getting painfully scrunched and gently caress up your back.

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

Jesus Christ, this new gently caress Scientology is devastating. I knew some of the lengths Scientology went to to brainwash people and conceal any wrongdoings, but I didn't know they literally set up concentration camps :stonk:

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

Rhyno posted:

Stargate was doing a bangup job.

Stargate was the best because it was like if Star Trek was aware it was dumb garbage.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

Rhyno posted:

Did I see people trashing This Is Us? Maybe in the Orville thread?

That seems like it would be a good catch-all thread for lovely opinions so probably.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

lelandjs posted:

What I'm hearing is that they should bring DS9 back and I would be totally down with that.

DS9 has its issues (still love it), but "Star Trek on the frontiers without that fresh utopian wax" was a neat idea to play around in. The problem is that they tried to start that in Voyager too and the result was... Voyager.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Hulu has the pilot up for The Mayor, the ABC show about a rapper who accidentally wins the mayoral election in his hometown.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
literally all i've done for the past 24 hours is play Destiny 2 and watch The Expanse (wife's visiting family)

The Expanse is SO loving GOOD HOLY poo poo (I'm on episode 6)

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Don't forget smoking weed!

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

I myself will carry you to the Gates of Valhalla...
You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer

precision posted:

literally all i've done for the past 24 hours is play Destiny 2 and watch The Expanse (wife's visiting family)

If you like it so far, it only gets better, I think.

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

precision posted:

Crush rear end to dust

Spatula City
Oct 21, 2010

LET ME EXPLAIN TO YOU WHY YOU ARE WRONG ABOUT EVERYTHING
Came down with a bug and ended up mostly watching a fuckton on Netflix.

Takeaways:
BoJack Horseman s4 is not quite as good as the first 3 seasons - it feels very transitional. There's a lot of good in it, however, and everything relating to BoJack's mom is incredible. also Hollyhock is the best.
Master of None s2 is very very good aside from 1 or two midseason episodes. "The Thief" was fantastic. And the episode that focused on the doorman, the convenience store lady, and the cab driver was brilliant.
haven't quite finished it, but season 1 of Galavant owns, is good and cool, and I can't fathom how it got a second season.
Riverdale is...fun? Sometimes it gets too CW-y, and it could do a lot more with the "parents suck, kids shouldn't be held responsible for their parents' sins" angle. Archie's dad being the only good-ish parent was pretty funny. Obviously the Blossoms beat out anyone else though, holy poo poo. but Betty's parents are evil in a more plausible, stomach-churning way. And Veronica's mom is soooooo complicit in whatever poo poo her husband was into, and probably not actually remotely guilty about any of it.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

Escobarbarian posted:

Don't forget smoking weed!

I smoke so much weed, that sometimes, I do literally forget to

Snak posted:

If you like it so far, it only gets better, I think.

I don't even know why I didn't watch it sooner. If someone had told me that it's super super reminiscent of a cross between Gibson's Sprawl trilogy (the stuff with Thomas Jane) and Neal Stephenson I would have jumped on it. I get the comparisons to BSG but so far The Expanse feels like it has a way more cohesive and deliberate plot (yes, I know it's based on books). Plus, the Martians are way loving cooler than Cylons. All the big and little mysteries are on point, the budget is frankly insane for a Syfy show, and the future tech looks "real".

So. Freakin. Good. And I like how everyone makes fun of Jane's hat.

Party Plane Jones
Jul 1, 2007

by Reene
Fun Shoe
The gently caress is this poo poo?

quote:

Relive puberty from the safety of your sofa. Big Mouth is coming to Netflix, September 29.

The teaser trailer is so egregiously bad I'm not going to even link it. It makes Alan Gregory look good.

Guy Mann
Mar 28, 2016

by Lowtax
So between the episode of Difficult People where a bunch of former Dan Harmon writers made an episode about how awful a Dan Harmon stand in (played by Patton Oswalt) is and the episode of One Mississipppi where Tig Notaro deals with a creepy male comedian whipping out his dick that is explicitly supposed to be Louis CK this is an amazing time for creative people using their art to attack their antagonists.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

I can't wait for someone to make an episode of something about Max Landis.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

Guy Mann posted:

So between the episode of Difficult People where a bunch of former Dan Harmon writers made an episode about how awful a Dan Harmon stand in (played by Patton Oswalt) is and the episode of One Mississipppi where Tig Notaro deals with a creepy male comedian whipping out his dick that is explicitly supposed to be Louis CK this is an amazing time for creative people using their art to attack their antagonists.

Both of those episodes are cool and good tho

bentacos
Oct 9, 2012

muscles like this! posted:

Hulu has the pilot up for The Mayor, the ABC show about a rapper who accidentally wins the mayoral election in his hometown.

I actually saw the pilot on Funny or Die.

It wasn't horrible.

DivisionPost
Jun 28, 2006

Nobody likes you.
Everybody hates you.
You're gonna lose.

Smile, you fuck.

Guy Mann posted:

...and the episode of One Mississipppi where Tig Notaro deals with a creepy male comedian whipping out his dick that is explicitly supposed to be Louis CK...

...loving hell I actually think this matters.

*sigh*

Okay, so it was actually a LITTLE more artful than that. The character in question was a producer on Tig and Kate's show. He masturbated under his desk when Kate (played by Stephanie Allynne, Tig's wife) tried to pitch him on an idea for a show. This despite previously coming off as a decent guy, in comparison to the two shock jock shitlords that have a show on the same station Tig and Kate work for. And when the women go to their boss, he's sympathetic, but he can't help but be an rear end in a top hat and grill them because "He [Masturbating producer]'s so liberal!" It was, from a dramatic standpoint, loving incredible. The moment itself was smartly directed, led to some fantastic performances from Notaro and Allynne, and it also cleverly bookends a season that started with Tig and Kate getting in trouble for nonchalantly talking about molestation on the air.

Having said all that, yes, it was CLEARLY calling out Louis C.K., so I don't know what the poo poo I'm trying to prove here. Maybe that there was more to it than Tig dunking on Louie, even though she was totally dunking on Louie? I don't loving know, I'm going to bed.

Watch One Mississippi if you haven't, jerks, I need more of it.

DivisionPost fucked around with this message at 08:01 on Sep 15, 2017

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~
I watched the first two episodes of gently caress Scientology and seriously, gently caress Scientology.

Rocksicles
Oct 19, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo
First season?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
One Mississippi owns. I even wrote an article on it! (arrogant self-promotion here, also vague describing-season-arcs spoilers I guess) https://tombown.com/why-you-shouldnt-ignore-one-mississippi-1c970b728f96

• Locked thread