Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Aesop Poprock
Oct 21, 2008

Grimey Drawer

elise the great posted:

Can't say circus peanuts et al are my thing, but I was genuinely shocked to discover that some people DONT LIKE CANDY CORN

I've mentioned it before but I will eat the big pumpkin versions of candy corn but am not a fan of candy corn itself which makes no sense since it's just a different size/shape version of the same thing

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pookah
Aug 21, 2008

🪶Caw🪶

Data Graham posted:

My mom tells a story of how when she was like 12 she got a bag of candy corn and locked herself in a closet and gorged herself on the whole drat bag. It permanently scarred her mind such that she is over 70 now and will heave if she so much as sees a candy corn.

When I was about that age I was given a box of eight ferrero Rocher as a christmas present, all of which I ate that evening. I spent that whole night sitting up and rocking non-stop in a cold panicky sweat - it was really weird and very horrible :(

I still quite like ferrero rocher, just not a whole boxful.

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit
I do not like the Brach's version of conversation hearts, nor do I like the weird generic ones that aren't chalk flavored.

You know, the kind that have the raised letters instead of the embossed letters. It's Necco or nothing!

Yawgmoth
Sep 10, 2003

This post is cursed!

elise the great posted:

Can't say circus peanuts et al are my thing, but I was genuinely shocked to discover that some people DONT LIKE CANDY CORN
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VU6S3-cXtKs

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

The greatest sensual pleasure there is is to know the desires of another!

Fun Shoe

Iron Crowned posted:

I dunno man, I would

It looks like the beginnings of what could be a decent stew, just hasn't had enough time to percolate yet. I suppose you could call it veggie chili if you really wanted to.

root beer
Nov 13, 2005

Bold but dangerous statement: circus peanuts own bones, gently caress the haters. Can't be stale though, the magic is gone when they get tough.

Candy corn: not bad in moderation, but more than a few pieces and my teeth cry out in sweetness-induced pain and I vow not to eat any more for another couple years. I have upheld such a vow, it's been a while.

a kitten
Aug 5, 2006

Mmm coffee maker salmon

https://twitter.com/TheDIYcrafts/status/904741907623903232

CannonFodder
Jan 26, 2001

Passion’s Wrench
"Your honor, 5 minutes before the alleged murder act, the deceased used the office coffee pot to boil salmon."

No jury in the world would covict me.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

The greatest sensual pleasure there is is to know the desires of another!

Fun Shoe

CannonFodder posted:

"Your honor, 5 minutes before the alleged murder act, the deceased used the office coffee pot to boil salmon."

No jury in the world would covict me.

It would be declared a mistrial because it's just way to prejudicial.

Mercedes Colomar
Nov 1, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

elise the great posted:

They're garbage, sorry elise.

Fleta Mcgurn
Oct 5, 2003

Porpoise noise continues.
I loving love candy corn. So much.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

I don't think we have circus peanuts in the UK and I've never seen a real one so I thought there was just some weird tradition of eating peanuts at the circus.

E: Also apparently candy corn isn't corn with sugar on it! Mind blown.

OwlFancier has a new favorite as of 22:47 on Sep 14, 2017

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

OwlFancier posted:

I don't think we have circus peanuts in the UK and I've never seen a real one so I thought there was just some weird tradition of eating peanuts at the circus.

Well there is, the marshmallow ones are a riff on that :shrug:

Like the old-timey gag is that peanuts are a popular thing you'd buy from vendors at a circus just like at any sporting event, plus you get to feed them to the elephants

(circuses used to have elephants you young whippersnappers)

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

I think literally my only experience with circus peanuts is watching Dumbo as a kid.

UWBW
Aug 3, 2013

Permanently banned from the Alamo
I have a story that this thread jogged loose from my memories.

A few years ago, I was eating a meal in Ghana, Africa, on a study abroad. It was a seafood soup of sorts, meant to be eaten with Fufu, a finger food, that was dipped into the soup. The soup was delicious, if extremely thick (think long strands that you could twang like a guitar string hanging between your fingers and the bowl).

However, it became apparent that I was not prepared for this cuisine in very short order.

I picked up some meat from the bowl, and bit down on it.

*crunch*

What the hell was that? Is this a bone?

It was some kind of triangular cut, and I was having trouble figuring out which part I was actually supposed to eat. I tried several different angles, but no matter where I bit down, it was like biting into a rock. Finally, antagonized by my own meal, I brushed the covering of the thick soup off the chunk of meat to discover... I had been biting into a fish head for the past 2 minutes.

I had a good laugh about it after the shock wore off, and set back to work eating my meal. The very next thing I pulled out of my soup was an entire crab, still whole, that looks like it had just been chucked directly into the pot.

Or maybe it just fell in...

:barf:

Disco Salmon
Jun 19, 2004

Hirayuki posted:

Last week I discovered half a bag of these, still fresh, leftover from my son's Easter basket and stashed where he (and, apparently, no one else) would find them:

They didn't last the day.

eta: To clarify, all three of us garbage humans killed the bag together.

omg, you are so so lucky....but I can't believe you actually shared

Candy corn is good! Love the Halloween versions, I think mallowcreme they are called or something?

In full disclosure though, I may or may not have several boxes of various colors of Peeps stashed in my pantry for emergencies...I love them stale so much lol I am so so broken :(

Disco Salmon has a new favorite as of 23:18 on Sep 14, 2017

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

UWBW posted:

I had a good laugh about it after the shock wore off, and set back to work eating my meal. The very next thing I pulled out of my soup was an entire crab, still whole, that looks like it had just been chucked directly into the pot.

I ate several soups in thailand which had whole crabs in em. They just pull em out and rip em apart with their hands and eat 'em like crabs.

Pyrotoad
Oct 24, 2010

Illegal Hen

UWBW posted:

The very next thing I pulled out of my soup was an entire crab, still whole, that looks like it had just been chucked directly into the pot.

Maybe it was one of these crabs?

UWBW
Aug 3, 2013

Permanently banned from the Alamo

It looked a lot like that, actually.

Crabs are rad, but crustaceans should never be unexpected.

Crust First
May 1, 2013

Wrong lads.

OwlFancier posted:

E: Also apparently candy corn isn't corn with sugar on it! Mind blown.

I think the equivalent of circus peanuts in the UK is shrimp and bananas.

Also candy corn is both loose corn and bad.

edit: Actually maybe shrimp and bananas isn't marshmallow-y? I thought I'd seen some that were, once.

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

Crust First posted:

edit: Actually maybe shrimp and bananas isn't marshmallow-y? I thought I'd seen some that were, once.

How does this combination suggest itself to somebody

How

KataraniSword
Apr 22, 2008

but at least I don't have
a MLP or MSPA avatar.
I am my own man.

Data Graham posted:

How does this combination suggest itself to somebody

How

"We've got these yellow candy turds and these pink candy turds, what can we do to market them?"

"Well, I mean, they sort of look like shrimp, if you squint.... or bananas..."

"Congratulations on your promotion."

doverhog
May 31, 2013

Defender of democracy and human rights 🇺🇦
A lot of candy talk.
:goonsay:

I never eat candy, well except ammonium chloride and dark chocolate sometimes, much like I don't put sugar in coffee or chili. However, at a very young age my cousin fed me smoked fish heads, or the meaty parts like eyeballs anyway, and they were pretty good.

doverhog has a new favorite as of 00:18 on Sep 15, 2017

Hirayuki
Mar 28, 2010

I think that's about right, the Shrimp and Bananas thing. IKEA sells something like them, too, with a rather unfortunate name:

(plus seasonal variations)

And Pineapple Lumps (NZ and maybe Australia?) are kind of like pineapple-flavored circus peanuts enrobed in delicious lovely chocolate.

AlbieQuirky
Oct 9, 2012

Just me and my 🌊dragon🐉 hanging out

Basebf555 posted:

It looks like the beginnings of what could be a decent stew, just hasn't had enough time to percolate yet. I suppose you could call it veggie chili if you really wanted to.

It looks like the Moosewood Cookbook chili recipe, which, whatever, I've had worse food.

Olive!
Mar 16, 2015

It's not a ghost, but probably a 'living corpse'. The 'living dead' with a hell of a lot of bloodlust...

AlbieQuirky posted:

It looks like the Moosewood Cookbook chili recipe, which, whatever, I've had worse food.

It looks like minestrone.

AlbieQuirky
Oct 9, 2012

Just me and my 🌊dragon🐉 hanging out

Olive Garden tonight! posted:

It looks like minestrone.

The Moosewood Cookbook marches to the beat of a different drummer. A drummer who likes bland food with lots of cut-up vegetables in it.

Plinkey
Aug 4, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
So I just made this with a tiny bit of leftover chili. Cornbread Chili Cup Cake...it was delicious.

Derek of the Andes
Dec 10, 2009

Hirayuki posted:

I think that's about right, the Shrimp and Bananas thing. IKEA sells something like them, too, with a rather unfortunate name:

And Pineapple Lumps (NZ and maybe Australia?) are kind of like pineapple-flavored circus peanuts enrobed in delicious lovely chocolate.

GOD IS SKUM!

cyberia
Jun 24, 2011

Do not call me that!
Snuffles was my slave name.
You shall now call me Snowball; because my fur is pretty and white.

Hirayuki posted:

Pineapple lumps have actual pineapple juice in them and are amazing. The Australian circus peanut equivalent is banana lollies that are halfway between spongy and chalky. Idk anyone who likes them but there's always a few in any bag of mixed lollies you buy.

Aesop Poprock
Oct 21, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Hirayuki posted:

lmao Godis Skum. Sounds like it'd be the leader of the Morlocks in X-Men

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Aesop Poprock
Oct 21, 2008

Grimey Drawer

I don't get youth culture

Mx.
Dec 16, 2006

I'm a great fan! When I watch TV I'm always saying "That's political correctness gone mad!"
Why thankyew!

Hirayuki posted:

gently caress yeah pineapple lumps (they do have em in australia!)

Pookah
Aug 21, 2008

🪶Caw🪶

MissEchelon posted:

gently caress yeah pineapple lumps (they do have em in australia!)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q800G-x8qA0

Fleta Mcgurn
Oct 5, 2003

Porpoise noise continues.
Skateboards are a base, like a crust. I see tomato sauce and meat. That is obviously a pizza...TO GO! :rimshot: because it is on a skateboard you see :rimshot: :rimshot:

Pastry of the Year
Apr 12, 2013

"Mango Coconut Chia Pudding"

Teagan
Sep 20, 2002

Out here, everything hurts.

Crust First posted:

So, I love circus peanuts and all kinds of marshmallow candies - especially if they have gone a bit stale. What do these shrimp and bananas things taste like? (to someone who doesn't find them disgusting), and where can you get them?

Pookah
Aug 21, 2008

🪶Caw🪶

The bananas are, unsurprisingly, banana-flavored and the shrimp are raspberry I think. The texture is kind of like stale marshmallow - quite dense and chewy, but a bit softer in the middle. They wouldn't be my first choice in a sweet but they aren't bad.

Like milk teeth, but not as hard.

Pookah has a new favorite as of 12:23 on Sep 15, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011
What the gently caress are those?