Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

dirksteadfast
Oct 10, 2010

ThePlague-Daemon posted:

This looks wonderful. The weird boring opening with the overpowered racquet breaking sound, the absurdly generic robot, the voice acting, implied old New York still existing under water including for some reason the World Trade Center, "you have to protect our family name" followed by the dude dunking his head underwater and "Starring Jaden Smith" appearing behind him, "Coco Chanel may her memory be blessed".

I kinda wanna check this out. It looks bad in the strangest ways.

I get the sinking suspicion Neo Yokio will only be interestingly strange when chopped into a trailer. Full episodes won't have enough bizarre content to fill the runtime and will likely just draaaaaag. Is this the first Netflix original trying to capitalize on "watching it because its memetic"?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dogsicle
Oct 23, 2012

dirksteadfast posted:

I get the sinking suspicion Neo Yokio will only be interestingly strange when chopped into a trailer. Full episodes won't have enough bizarre content to fill the runtime and will likely just draaaaaag. Is this the first Netflix original trying to capitalize on "watching it because its memetic"?

I think they're trying to capitalize on all the big names attached more than anything else. Not sure how the production process went for it, but it was originally supposed to be part of the dead Fox/FX adult animation block, so maybe Netflix just rescued it rather than putting any significant effort into production.

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost
What other movies have you guys seen lately that were totally dog rollerskates*?

*this means "extremely good".

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

Oh I see! This must be the Bad Opinion Zone!
Night is Short, Walk on Girl was pretty fun.

Guy Mann
Mar 28, 2016

by Lowtax

dirksteadfast posted:

Is this the first Netflix original trying to capitalize on "watching it because its memetic"?

The Bill Murray Christmas special?

Sinners Sandwich
Jan 4, 2012

Give me your friend's BURGERS and SANDWICHES, I'll put out the fire.

I realized today that Joseph and his coat of many colors adaption aka Joseph: Coat of Dreams, the follow up to Prince of Egypt wasn't a fever dream but an actual straight to video film with Prince of Egypt's level of casting and animation. Why isn't this more talked about? Is it worth watching?

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost
I own it, it's ok. Nothing special but yeah watch it.

Macksy
Oct 20, 2008

IShallRiseAgain posted:

They actually got the guy who directed Gundam Unicorn storyboarding it. Production I.G and Studio DEEN are also the studios actually animating it (Along with a Korean studio of course). I'm not implying its actually going to be good, but there are indeed people from Japan working on it.
Eh this looks like its mostly the korean animation studio working on it. Maybe I'm wrong but it has that strong avatar/boondocks korean imitation anime look to everything in that trailer.

ThermoPhysical
Dec 26, 2007

readingatwork posted:

So I checked out Captain Underpants on a recommendation from a source I trust and it turns out it's a legit good movie. How did THAT end up happening? :psyduck:

I know this is a few pages back but I just got the BR/DVD of this and it's actually pretty nice. I popped the BR-DVD into my PS4 and it actually lets you pause the movie, go into the extra, watch an extra, then it'll immediately go back to the part of the movie you paused it at and play from there. It's pretty nice.

The last movie I bought was Zootopia and it doesn't do that. It does, however, have a weird bug on the DVD where it won't play right on VLC. I thought it was a VLC issue but I don't know?

Next up, getting Wonder Woman next week.

IShallRiseAgain
Sep 12, 2008

Well ain't that precious?

Macksy posted:

Eh this looks like its mostly the korean animation studio working on it. Maybe I'm wrong but it has that strong avatar/boondocks korean imitation anime look to everything in that trailer.

I was just replying to the person that said there was no Japanese people involved even though there was.

Aces High
Mar 26, 2010

Nah! A little chocolate will do

Sinners Sandwich posted:

I realized today that Joseph and his coat of many colors adaption aka Joseph: Coat of Dreams, the follow up to Prince of Egypt wasn't a fever dream but an actual straight to video film with Prince of Egypt's level of casting and animation. Why isn't this more talked about? Is it worth watching?

don't you mean prequel :v: for some reason I remembered enjoying it more than Prince of Egypt as a kid but that was probably because my family loved Joseph and the Amazing Technicolor Dreamcoat. Holy poo poo that was quite a year for DreamWorks since Road to El Dorado came out that year, then Chicken Run and then this in the fall.

Chicken Run was the best of 2000 :colbert: and I don't count ENG because it released so late

Sir Lemming
Jan 27, 2009

It's a piece of JUNK!

Sinners Sandwich posted:

I remember it being thoroughly OK. Animation quality was definitely lower, very much had that early digital ink look. Music wasn't nearly as memorable either. Still respectable.

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink

Aces High posted:

don't you mean prequel :v: for some reason I remembered enjoying it more than Prince of Egypt as a kid but that was probably because my family loved Joseph and the Amazing Technicolor Dreamcoat.

I don't remember anything at all about Joseph and the Amazing Technicolor Dreamcoat but I do see it when visiting my cousin when I was ten or so and apparently my eyes bulged so much during a scene with a titty that it convinced my mother I wasn't gay but merely very shy.

Anyway, that's my story. You all have a great day.

CRINDY
Sep 23, 2010

forget about ur worries and ur strife
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bvomHFZO0mk

New Coco trailer. It looks light and fun. Not sure if it'll be essential, but it at least seems very nice.

K. Waste
Feb 27, 2014

MORAL:
To the vector belong the spoils.
But will it be better than Saludos Amigos/The Three Caballeros? Or at least as psychedelic?

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

I HATE THAT HEDGEHOG, BROTHER!
The dog is gross. Not like cute gross like a pug, just gross. Sorry dog loving goons

starkebn
May 18, 2004

"Oooh, got a little too serious. You okay there, little buddy?"

CRINDY posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bvomHFZO0mk

New Coco trailer. It looks light and fun. Not sure if it'll be essential, but it at least seems very nice.

not liking the dialogue in this, seems really dumb for a Pixar film

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006
:negative:

Macaluso posted:

The dog is gross. Not like cute gross like a pug, just gross. Sorry dog loving goons

Xolozcuintles are just gross looking, but they're still doggos

ungulateman
Apr 18, 2012

pretentious fuckwit who isn't half as literate or insightful or clever as he thinks he is
captain underpants...is good

i'm not sure if the Incredibly Hella Gay subtext between two ten year olds is a good idea though

K. Waste
Feb 27, 2014

MORAL:
Why wouldn't it be a good idea?

Robindaybird
Aug 21, 2007

Neat. Sweet. Petite.

ungulateman posted:

captain underpants...is good

i'm not sure if the Incredibly Hella Gay subtext between two ten year olds is a good idea though

?

kids discover they are gay at really young ages, I think if anything lgbt children need to see other kids that aren't straight, it's always treated like this thing that even same-sex handholding is only for adults.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

Nobody is making erotic fanart of George and Harold, you can let go of your pearls.

Andorra
Dec 12, 2012

Waffleman_ posted:

Nobody is making erotic fanart of George and Harold, you can let go of your pearls.

I've been on the internet long enough to know that's probably not true

Sinners Sandwich
Jan 4, 2012

Give me your friend's BURGERS and SANDWICHES, I'll put out the fire.

There are atleast three Captain underpants OCs on deviant that I'm aware of

mycot
Oct 23, 2014

"It's okay. There are other Terminators! Just give us this one!"
Hell Gem

Waffleman_ posted:

I agree that gay subtext shouldn't inherently be sexy but I wouldn't go that far.

IShallRiseAgain
Sep 12, 2008

Well ain't that precious?

Calaveron posted:

Xolozcuintles are just gross looking, but they're still doggos

Yeah, I just got one, they are good dogs.

World Famous W
May 25, 2007

BAAAAAAAAAAAA

Waffleman_ posted:

Nobody is making erotic fanart of .....
That is a bold claim to make on the internet.

K. Waste
Feb 27, 2014

MORAL:
Subtext is an ideological fantasy. In this case, 'gay subtext' is a means of denying one's own inherent bigotry and projecting onto the 'hidden feelings' or 'agenda' of the filmmakers. In reality, the relationship between George and Harold is queer, but whether or not they have secret romantic feelings for one another is irrelevant.

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747

K. Waste posted:

Subtext is an ideological fantasy.

does that make you some kind of odd mix of Che and Walter Mitty?

K. Waste
Feb 27, 2014

MORAL:

LORD OF BOOTY posted:

does that make you some kind of odd mix of Che and Walter Mitty?

I am many things to many people.

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost
don't talk about children's feelings it's gross

ungulateman
Apr 18, 2012

pretentious fuckwit who isn't half as literate or insightful or clever as he thinks he is
probably not the best way of phrasing it. i guess i'm so used to media - and especially children's media - flattening out interactions between boys (and men, usually) that the melodrama of george and harold's friendship being endangered seemed particularly pronounced, and as such unexpectedly radical and 'queer' to see in a mainstream kids movie

still hella gay tho, imo

Space Cadet Omoly
Jan 15, 2014

~Groovy~

ungulateman posted:

probably not the best way of phrasing it. i guess i'm so used to media - and especially children's media - flattening out interactions between boys (and men, usually) that the melodrama of george and harold's friendship being endangered seemed particularly pronounced, and as such unexpectedly radical and 'queer' to see in a mainstream kids movie

still hella gay tho, imo

I'm sure you'll be happy to hear that only one of the kids in canonically gay.

Pyrotoad posted:

I was helping my mum cook with a random movie channel on as background noise and Strange Magic came on. We ended up watching the whole thing and we both kind of enjoyed it? Like it's not got any tension at all and it's very predictable, but there was something still kind of likeable about it.

The most fascinating thing about Strange Magic is the backstory behind it: George Lucas had been wanting to get it made for fifteen years, but just couldn't get the project off the ground. When he sold Star Wars to Disney part of the deal was that he would finally get to make Strange Magic. The result was, well, I've never actually seen it but from what I've heard it's "okay not great". I wonder if it would be remembered more fondly (or remembered at all) if it had come out in the year 2000 or so.

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

So I got to see Castle of Cagliostro in theaters yesterday. They opened it up with an interview with John Lassiter, completely gushing about the movie, how it affected him, how important the movie is to animation, how amazing Miyazaki is, and how helped him win over his wife, it was pretty neat.

I've seen the movie so many times, but this was my first time seeing it in the original English dub. The one where they call him "Wolf." It's a pretty crappy dub. Jigen sounds like he's never smoked a cigarette in his life. The dialogue was too literal, and some of the more flowery parts don't land as well as they do in the dub I'm used to.

That said, the movie was gorgeous on the big screen. They had an interview with Monkey Punch at the end and what he said was right, no matter how many times you watch it, it just never becomes boring. I seriously am considering on watching it again on my old DVD this afternoon.

One thing that never occurred to me until seeing it this time is how much the Count looks like Clark Gable.

Well Manicured Man
Aug 21, 2010

Well Manicured Mort
I saw Lupin III last night too, and I knew something was off about the dub, even though it had been a couple years since I'd last seen the movie.

Seeing it on the big screen was still amazing and really made me feel like I was seeing it for the first time. I felt giddy when I left the theater. Attendance wasn't great, there were like 6 people including me in the auditorium, but it was still fun to laugh along with a group, however small.

Shadow Hog
Feb 23, 2014

Oh, right, that was last night, wasn't it? Nuts, I missed it.

Then again, I've seen Castle of Cagliostro before... but it's still kind of a shame, I guess?

Well Manicured Man
Aug 21, 2010

Well Manicured Mort

Shadow Hog posted:

Oh, right, that was last night, wasn't it? Nuts, I missed it.

Then again, I've seen Castle of Cagliostro before... but it's still kind of a shame, I guess?

My theater had two showings, one last night and one scheduled for this upcoming Tuesday. You might as well check if there's another showing in your area.

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

The subtitled version is airing on the 19th. I'd go see it too, but in my state it's only airing in two theaters in far away cities. One of which is the theater that my girlfriend and I used to see everything in over a hundred miles away.

ThermoPhysical
Dec 26, 2007

Space Cadet Omoly posted:

I'm sure you'll be happy to hear that only one of the kids in canonically gay.

The most fascinating thing about Strange Magic is the backstory behind it: George Lucas had been wanting to get it made for fifteen years, but just couldn't get the project off the ground. When he sold Star Wars to Disney part of the deal was that he would finally get to make Strange Magic. The result was, well, I've never actually seen it but from what I've heard it's "okay not great". I wonder if it would be remembered more fondly (or remembered at all) if it had come out in the year 2000 or so.

Strange Magic is, bar none, the worst animated movie I have ever seen.

All of the songs are dated and lovely, the animation isn't even that good, the story is crap and not even memorable, and there's a lot of strangely racist tones in it that don't get resolved OR punished in any way at all.

There is no movie I hate more than that piece of poo poo and, to be honest, it makes me not want to watch the Star Wars movies Lucas made (not seen Star Wars until Disney did VII), because I don't want to subject myself to his crap storytelling.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Barudak
May 7, 2007

ThermoPhysical posted:

Strange Magic is, bar none, the worst animated movie I have ever seen.

All of the songs are dated and lovely, the animation isn't even that good, the story is crap and not even memorable, and there's a lot of strangely racist tones in it that don't get resolved OR punished in any way at all.

There is no movie I hate more than that piece of poo poo and, to be honest, it makes me not want to watch the Star Wars movies Lucas made (not seen Star Wars until Disney did VII), because I don't want to subject myself to his crap storytelling.

The film got finished and released because Disney bought Lucasfilm and wanted to shove it out, George Lucas did not direct the film nor finish the movie. It is by all accounts a very bad movie, and likely would have been had it been finished under Lucas.

Star Wars Episode 7 is easily the weakest of the franchise, as well, so take that into account when viewing thay franchise.