Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

rage-saq
Mar 21, 2001

Thats so ninja...

Durzel posted:

Ok bud, didn't realise you had the inside scoop.

I guess Wired weren't actually "hands on" during their hands on preview..

https://www.wired.com/story/hands-on-with-the-iphone-x

Keep on sipping that Kool Aid though I guess.

No inside, no inside, you're the inside. :smug:

The front facing camera isn't the sensor picking up the dot grid for FaceID, thats what the infrared camera + flood sensor is for.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

wicka
Jun 28, 2007

Durzel posted:

Are you retarded? I never said it used the selfie camera, I said to use it to get a sense of what the magical IR camera-not-camera will see. A sense. Do you understand? Jfc

I understand that you are using one device to incorrectly estimate the capabilities of a completely different device, yes.

Durzel
Nov 15, 2005

rage-saq posted:

No inside, no inside, you're the inside. :smug:

The front facing camera isn't the sensor picking up the dot grid for FaceID, thats what the infrared camera + flood sensor is for.

Yes, I watched the keynote too. I guess we'll all have to wait and see what this magical all seeing eye does when it's released. I hope it does work well, I genuinely do (I have a 6S+ and would like to upgrade)

Pivo
Aug 20, 2004

well I mean there are probably limits to the FOV based on the lens size and how far it's recessed, but it still could be ultra wide angle i've seen some very impressive ultra wide angle tiny cameras, i think the truth is that we just don't know, guys. we know the selfie camera is not ultra wide angle, but we don't know that the IR sensor is.

edit: but if Wired tried it and it doesn't work, well, it'd still be nice to know the extremes it will work at

Pivo fucked around with this message at 00:37 on Sep 15, 2017

Durzel
Nov 15, 2005

I regret mentioning the selfie camera :smith:

Three Olives
Apr 10, 2005

Don't forget Hitler's contributions to medicine.

This makes a ton of sense given the privacy concerns that have been expressed with FaceID.

There has been a lot of discussion of the legal implications of FaceID from the police making you involuntarily unlock the device. Apple said you have to be paying attention to the phone and the police may be able to shove the phone up to your face but they can't control your eyeballs. Try it a few times and you avert your gaze or shut your eyes and they are poo poo out of luck because it is already established law that they can't compel you for your passcode.

Actually this might be even more secure than TouchID for that purpose, TouchID is as murky as FaceID when it comes to being compelled to unlock the device but physically forcing your finger onto the home button against your protest by physically restraining you seems a hell of a lot easier than the almost impossible task of controlling your gaze and eyelids. It wouldn't surprise me if there wasn't some algorithms in there to detect if your eyes were being physically held open and it wasn't a deliberate gaze.

Durzel
Nov 15, 2005

They only have to flash the phone in front of your face at any point while you're in custody, though. They don't have to (or aren't likely to) give you forewarning. I guess we'll see how that side of things plays out, and as you say there are ways to disable it quickly.

Edit: Actually you didn't say that, but there is supposedly a quick two button press to disable FaceID.

Durzel fucked around with this message at 00:57 on Sep 15, 2017

Three Olives
Apr 10, 2005

Don't forget Hitler's contributions to medicine.
I'm guessing a sneak attack could be easily prevented by unnatural movement of the accelerometers, if only making the authorization taking just a tiny, tiny bit longer to give you a chance to see you are looking at your phone and to avert your eyes.

Canned Sunshine
Nov 20, 2005

CAUTION: POST QUALITY UNDER CONSTRUCTION

Is OIS on the telephoto lens a big enough deal to go to the X if I'm otherwise ok with the 8+? I use my camera for construction site photos for work at times and otherwise as a point-and-shoot for family events.

wicka
Jun 28, 2007

It is very silly to suggest that Apple has somehow failed to consider any of these very obvious use cases.

Pivo
Aug 20, 2004

SourKraut posted:

Is OIS on the telephoto lens a big enough deal to go to the X if I'm otherwise ok with the 8+? I use my camera for construction site photos for work at times and otherwise as a point-and-shoot for family events.

The X is the first iPhone with OIS on the telephoto so no real way to answer for sure. Generally it lets you shoot around 2 stops slower before blurring, so instead of 1/60 you can shoot at 1/15 instead. Are you often finding yourself shooting slower than 1/60? With a ~56mm "telephoto" lens, that's about how fast you have to shoot to stop it blurring without OIS. Or, are your photos that you find are shot at 1/60 or faster, are they grainy due to the ISO being pumped? Since you'll be able to get away with a lower ISO and 1/15 instead.

OIS really helps for low light but if that's all you'll get out of the X, I dunno man, that's a question you gotta answer for yourself. It's not a killer feature for me, personally, that would be the OLED display ... but it's nice to have.

dissss
Nov 10, 2007

I'm a terrible forums poster with terrible opinions.

Here's a cat fucking a squid.

wicka posted:

It is very silly to suggest that Apple has somehow failed to consider any of these very obvious use cases.

They could well have considered them and dismissed.

Much like a tonne of other design decisions we’ve seen on past iPhones.

Craptacular!
Jul 9, 2001

Fuck the DH

Binary Badger posted:

APPUHL RIPZ US OFF AGAIN

https://www.theverge.com/circuitbreaker/2017/9/14/16307588/iphone-8-plus-battery-size-compared-iphone-7

Evidently Apple's confident iOS 11 and the new iPhone 8 hardware will sip less energy, because the iPhone 8 battery has 7% less capacity than the 7's.

It has the same CPU as the X and is pushing fewer pixels on it's screen. Makes some level of sense.

Twinty Zuleps
May 10, 2008

by R. Guyovich
Lipstick Apathy

buglord posted:

Apple culture is weird. So much so, I have to ask:

Are there any tell-alls by people who worked at Apple? I feel that the higher up you are on the design and marketing chain, the more likely it is that you’re huffing your own farts. I mean there’s quite a bit of koolaid drinking on the retail front too, but there’s no juicy secrets or insights to be had there since employees don’t know anything more the public knows.

I wanna know apple’s design philosophy and how they’ve managed to produce a...unique fan base. I’d read Steve’s book but he seems like master fart huffer and from what little I know about him, I’m not sure I can trust him to paint a clear picture of the work environment in Apple’s higher offices.

e: I guess to add, it seems like the recent additions such as the SE, Watch, Plus models, and product line splintering seem like all unusual moves for Apple. How were these decisions made internally? How were disagreements sorted?

Steve earned being a master fart huffer because he had what are best described as magic powers to make things popular. You can see Apple still clinging to them, and I'm hoping that we get to see a long, painful backslide into the desperation and irrelevance of the 90's again now that the magic is gone forever.

Like, Apple is just Steve Jobs' ego made manifest, like a Silicon Valley Frederick Barbarossa. I think Jobs made people feel like buying Apple stuff really does make their lives better, and make their world a better place. He convinced millions that properly spent money could buy them happiness, and fuuuck if they don't want to cling to that idea for good.

Matt Zerella
Oct 7, 2002

Norris'es are back baby. It's good again. Awoouu (fox Howl)
[quote="“Wulfolme”" post="“476409811”"]
Steve earned being a master fart huffer because he had what are best described as magic powers to make things popular. You can see Apple still clinging to them, and I’m hoping that we get to see a long, painful backslide into the desperation and irrelevance of the 90’s again now that the magic is gone forever.

Like, Apple is just Steve Jobs’ ego made manifest, like a Silicon Valley Frederick Barbarossa. I think Jobs made people feel like buying Apple stuff really does make their lives better, and make their world a better place. He convinced millions that properly spent money could buy them happiness, and fuuuck if they don’t want to cling to that idea for good.
[/quote]

Jobs was an rear end in a top hat, sure, but this post is really bad and pretty wrong.

I can point to the iPod when it first came out, it legitimately made my life better.

I’d argue a lot of the current choices Tim is making would piss Steve off pretty hard.

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

Wulfolme posted:

He convinced millions that properly spent money could buy them happiness, and fuuuck if they don't want to cling to that idea for good.
Dude that's all of capitalism.

wicka
Jun 28, 2007

dissss posted:

They could well have considered them and dismissed.

Much like a tonne of other design decisions we’ve seen on past iPhones.

Like what?

wicka
Jun 28, 2007

I cannot for the life of me think of a single example of Apple replacing a well-liked feature, like Touch ID, with something new that sucked. But I can think of a lot of times that simple-minded folks panicked because they are scared by change. Apple is almost at the same place as Microsoft, who can’t change a single thing about Windows without the world ending.

Pivo
Aug 20, 2004

wicka posted:

I cannot for the life of me think of a single example of Apple replacing a well-liked feature, like Touch ID, with something new that sucked.

touchbar, if you consider 'physical loving keys' a feature (I DO now)

wicka
Jun 28, 2007

Pivo posted:

touchbar, if you consider 'physical loving keys' a feature (I DO now)

The fact that you cry literal tears about, of all things, function keys, is not an argument in your favor.

Twinty Zuleps
May 10, 2008

by R. Guyovich
Lipstick Apathy

Josh Lyman posted:

Dude that's all of capitalism.

Capitalism rarely manages to create such an emotional connection. It usually settles for something more like a drug hit. Steve was v. good at capitalism.

Pivo
Aug 20, 2004

wicka posted:

The fact that you cry literal tears about, of all things, function keys, is not an argument in your favor.

literal tears? where?

i'm a professional computer toucher. i use the function keys, and i don't look at the keyboard. the Pro machine of all things should not be a stupid gimmick that makes life harder for actual professionals

Twinty Zuleps
May 10, 2008

by R. Guyovich
Lipstick Apathy

wicka posted:

someone else wallop the pinata here i'm busy

edit: yay

wicka
Jun 28, 2007

My favorite autistic complaint about Apple products is when people get way, way too literal about the “pro” designation, as if it’s anything more than a branding name for a higher end product.

Pivo
Aug 20, 2004

wicka posted:

My favorite autistic complaint about Apple products is when people get way, way too literal about the “pro” designation, as if it’s anything more than a branding name for a higher end product.

look fam maybe your dumb rear end needs to look at pretty pictures on the keyboard cuz your broke rear end mom didn't get your rear end no typing lessons but i'm aite, aite ?

wicka
Jun 28, 2007

How dare they call it a MacBOOK, it has no pages at all!

enojy
Sep 11, 2001

bass rattle
stars out
the sky

Pivo posted:

The X is the first iPhone with OIS on the telephoto so no real way to answer for sure. Generally it lets you shoot around 2 stops slower before blurring, so instead of 1/60 you can shoot at 1/15 instead. Are you often finding yourself shooting slower than 1/60? With a ~56mm "telephoto" lens, that's about how fast you have to shoot to stop it blurring without OIS. Or, are your photos that you find are shot at 1/60 or faster, are they grainy due to the ISO being pumped? Since you'll be able to get away with a lower ISO and 1/15 instead.

OIS really helps for low light but if that's all you'll get out of the X, I dunno man, that's a question you gotta answer for yourself. It's not a killer feature for me, personally, that would be the OLED display ... but it's nice to have.

I feel like it's going to help Portrait Mode be less lovely indoors, which extends to 2x optical zoom shots.

Khablam
Mar 29, 2012

wicka posted:

I cannot for the life of me think of a single example of Apple replacing a well-liked feature, like Touch ID, with something new that sucked. But I can think of a lot of times that simple-minded folks panicked because they are scared by change. Apple is almost at the same place as Microsoft, who can’t change a single thing about Windows without the world ending.

They replaced a screen with nothing sticking awkwardly into video and games with one that does.
They replaced a device with lots of connectivity options with one that has one.
They replaced magsafe with regular connections.

wicka
Jun 28, 2007

I guess some of us want technology to improve instead of just dragging around antiquated features indefinitely because idiot devs can’t learn new things about computers.

Canned Sunshine
Nov 20, 2005

CAUTION: POST QUALITY UNDER CONSTRUCTION

wicka posted:

I guess some of us want technology to improve instead of just dragging around antiquated features indefinitely because idiot devs can’t learn new things about computers.

I'm not sure MagSafe is an "antiquated" feature.

Matt Zerella
Oct 7, 2002

Norris'es are back baby. It's good again. Awoouu (fox Howl)

SourKraut posted:

I get insane battery life out of my Skylake MacBook so I don’t miss MagSafe at all.

Khablam
Mar 29, 2012

wicka posted:

technology improves all the time and its rarely apple doing much of the r&d, they just pick it up 3 years later and force it in "courageous" ways

removing usb-a when 99% of all PC->device connections use it doesn't help anyone

wicka
Jun 28, 2007

SourKraut posted:

I was more addressing the touch bar criticisms.

wicka
Jun 28, 2007

[quote="“Khablam”" post="“476410956”"]
technology improves all the time and its rarely apple doing much of the r&d, they just pick it up 3 years later and force it in “courageous” ways

removing usb-a when 99% of all PC->device connections use it doesn’t help anyone
[/quote]

Right. A feature improves, no one uses it, Apple introduces it a couple years later, everyone cries, eventually it’s their most beloved feature and they cry when it goes away.

Pivo
Aug 20, 2004

wicka posted:

because idiot devs can’t learn new things about computers.

yes. clearly, it's because i can't figure it out. you are the smrtest.

wicka
Jun 28, 2007

[quote="“Pivo”" post="“476411120”"]
yes. clearly, it’s because i can’t figure it out. you are the smrtest.
[/quote]

Every developer I have ever met is dumb as a rock when it comes to anything other than writing code.

OldSenileGuy
Mar 13, 2001
I hate to interrupt the slap fight, but I installed iOS 11 on my iPhone 7 on Tuesday and my battery life suuuucks now. Also half the time when I pick up the phone it’s red hot. Hopefully there’s an 11.1 or something update coming not long after the official release.

Also, after restoring my phone from backup, all my ringtones are gone and there doesn’t seem to be a spot for them in iTunes anymore either :(

EDIT: Is there any way to see what my Bluetooth is connected to at the moment? I’m out and the Bluetooth icon is lit up (as opposed to grayed out) like it’s connected to something. But when I go to Settings>Bluetooth, it just lists my headphones and car and neither of them are connected. Bug?

OldSenileGuy fucked around with this message at 02:10 on Sep 15, 2017

rage-saq
Mar 21, 2001

Thats so ninja...

wicka posted:

Every developer I have ever met is dumb as a rock when it comes to anything other than writing code.

You are also making an assumption that they are good at writing code...

Khablam
Mar 29, 2012

wicka posted:

Right. A feature improves, no one uses it, Apple introduces it a couple years later, everyone cries, eventually it’s their most beloved feature and they cry when it goes away.

honestly nothing follows this trajectory

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

rage-saq
Mar 21, 2001

Thats so ninja...
[quote="“OldSenileGuy”" post="“476411222”"]
I hate to interrupt the slap fight, but I installed iOS 11 on my iPhone 7 on Tuesday and my battery life suuuucks now. Also half the time when I pick up the phone it’s red hot. Hopefully there’s an 11.1 or something update coming not long after the official release.

Also, after restoring my phone from backup, all my ringtones are gone and there doesn’t seem to be a spot for them in iTunes anymore either :(
[/quote]

My 7+ and AWs2 are humming along great with the ios11/watchos4 GM.
83% battery life on both after a normal days use, which is about right.