Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Solemn Sloth
Jul 11, 2015

Baby you can shout at me,
But you can't need my eyes.

JBP posted:

Is it a very Christian thing to see children as your property or what?

Yes, also wives.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Solemn Sloth
Jul 11, 2015

JBP posted:

Is Turnbull Catholic? What the hell...

Based on his policies, Catholicism runs about as deep as his support for the Swans.

Zenithe
Feb 25, 2013

Ask not to whom the Anidavatar belongs; it belongs to thee.
Wasn't Ballarat notorious for hiding pedophiles?

JBP posted:

Is Turnbull Catholic? What the hell...

He's probably "raised" catholic.

Don Dongington
Sep 27, 2005

#ideasboom
College Slice

Doctor Spaceman posted:

Get hosed Shelton

Speaking of people getting hosed...
https://twitter.com/AntonyGreenABC/status/908169406827577344

:stare::fh:

I mean I predicted this when Keenan's electorate got torn up during the early count on election night, but seeing this makes it all the more real.

Further proof that whatever polling methods they're using for Essential, Newpoll etc aren't reflecting reality, and the Libs are way more turbofucked than the idiots in the press gallery seem to think.

NPR Journalizard posted:

Holy poo poo, getting rid of Bishop would be loving amazing.

Still probably the safest Lib electorate in the country. There is no more FYGM than this.

JBP posted:

Is it a very Christian thing to see children as your property or what?

Yes, especially daughters and also wives.

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

You've got to know, to understand,
Baby, take me by my hand,
I'll lead you to the promised land.
Turnbull strikes me as being proddy AF. What a surprise.

MysticalMachineGun
Apr 5, 2005

Amazing what religious freedom can do for you. I wish I could deny people service based on their personally held opinions but I don't have the big G backing me up so tough poo poo

ewe2
Jul 1, 2009

I'm curious to know how that minister found out about the bride's opinion on Facebook. What a silly man.

Don Dongington
Sep 27, 2005

#ideasboom
College Slice
Hah, according to Green's prediction, the following prominent LNP members are toast:

Andrew Hastie (horrible right wing oval office), Michael Keenan (Justice Minister), Ken Wyatt, Christian Porter (Social Services), and Ian Goodenough (Also a horrible oval office)

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."

JBP posted:

Turnbull strikes me as being proddy AF. What a surprise.

He was raised vaguely Presbyterian then converted to Catholicism after marriage.

MysticalMachineGun
Apr 5, 2005

ewe2 posted:

I'm curious to know how that minister found out about the bride's opinion on Facebook. What a silly man.

Being friends with your local priest on Facebook isn't that strange (if they use it). MrsMachineGun is still FB friends with one of her old priests who lives in Melbourne.

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008

Doctor Spaceman posted:

He was raised vaguely Presbyterian then converted to Catholicism after marriage.

also killed his girlfriend's cat.

NPR Journalizard
Feb 14, 2008

Don Dongington posted:

Still probably the safest Lib electorate in the country. There is no more FYGM than this.

Yeah I got momentarily confused between Curtin and Stirling. Sigh. One day.

Eediot Jedi
Dec 25, 2007

This is where I begin to speculate what being a
man of my word costs me

Don Dongington posted:

Hah, according to Green's prediction, the following prominent LNP members are toast:

Andrew Hastie (horrible right wing oval office), Michael Keenan (Justice Minister), Ken Wyatt, Christian Porter (Social Services), and Ian Goodenough (Also a horrible oval office)

What'd hastie do? I was on a long auspol blackout.

Don Dongington
Sep 27, 2005

#ideasboom
College Slice
TBH knocking out Keenan is still a huge deal. He's a senior minister and if if could overcome the NSW Exceptionalism rife in the party he could feasibly be a candidate for leader once the Billslide takes out Turnbull, Dutton and makes Bishop and Morrison look like poo poo.

Don Dongington
Sep 27, 2005

#ideasboom
College Slice

Knobb Manwich posted:

What'd hastie do? I was on a long auspol blackout.

Coopers anti-SSM bullshit.

http://www.smh.com.au/federal-polit...315-guyfo3.html

Also probably killed/tortured women and children in Afghanistan.

Solemn Sloth
Jul 11, 2015

ewe2 posted:

It'll be some busybody pearl clutching parishioner "friend" of theirs.

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

You've got to know, to understand,
Baby, take me by my hand,
I'll lead you to the promised land.

Solemn Sloth posted:

It'll be some busybody pearl clutching parishioner "friend" of theirs.

If they're active participants in the parish they could well have old mate rev on their FB as well.

Some "lawyer" in QLD rang talkback yesterday and claimed that gay couples have all the same rights under law as defactos and that marriage was probably payback for all the years they got killed and beat up.

You Am I
May 20, 2001

Me @ your poasting

Lid posted:

Leading "no" campaigner in Australia's same-sex marriage survey, Lyle Shelton, says parents should have the option to send their kids to gay conversion therapy.

In an interview with the BuzzFeed News political podcast Is it on? on Thursday, Shelton, who is the managing director of the Australian Christian Lobby (ACL), said that while he did not think adults should be forced into conversion therapy, it was up to parents as to whether their children should be counselled about same-sex attraction.

"I think anyone who wants to seek help for any issue they might be facing in their life should be free to do that," he said.

"Should people be forced to go to conversion therapy? No, absolutely not. Now, children — they are under the care and responsibility of their parents, so I think if someone's a minor, it is up to their parents. And I think parental rights should be respected.

"There's obviously got to be context and care and compassion in all of these situations, but ultimately children are in the care and the legal responsibility of their parents."

God drat that man needs to be banned from any media organisation. He's a pure hate monger. He's doing more damage to people's mental health than anything else.

Goffer
Apr 4, 2007
"..."
Just received our landlord's postal surveys in our mailbox...

Goffer
Apr 4, 2007
"..."
Based on probabilities were probably going to vote yes anyway, right?

(They live next door so I hand delivered them)

iajanus
Aug 17, 2004

NUMBER 1 QUEENSLAND SUPPORTER
MAROONS 2023 STATE OF ORIGIN CHAMPIONS FOR LIFE

We still get a heap of mail for random people so I'm idly hopeful of a bunch of forms turning up.

Anidav
Feb 25, 2010

ahhh fuck its the rats again

bandaid.friend posted:

Can stuff like the media reforms be taken to court if some of the people voting were ineligible for election?

http://www.abc.net.au/news/2017-09-15/knox-mothers-defamation-case/8945082
Online slapfight goes to court

Wechat is hosed.

It's like the worst of online chat rooms except you can pay other people to do anything to a target using Wechat pay. Like if I said Taiwan number 1 at a university campus someone can just open up Wechat and pay someone to steal my car and the cops couldn't trace poo poo because it's all in China.

Don Dongington
Sep 27, 2005

#ideasboom
College Slice

iajanus posted:

We still get a heap of mail for random people so I'm idly hopeful of a bunch of forms turning up.

Heh. It's going to be great when all the struggling rent-stressed students and young adults get 30 survey forms each addressed to assholes who haven't bothered to change their address with the AEC and get to vote yes 30 times.

I mean it's no consolation for being a trodden on underclass but eh, it's yet another thing the idiot LNP didn't factor in.

birdstrike
Oct 30, 2008

i;m gay

Anidav posted:

Wechat is hosed.

It's like the worst of online chat rooms except you can pay other people to do anything to a target using Wechat pay. Like if I said Taiwan number 1 at a university campus someone can just open up Wechat and pay someone to steal my car and the cops couldn't trace poo poo because it's all in China.

No the rats would get to it first

Solemn Sloth
Jul 11, 2015

Birdstrike posted:

No the rats would get to it first

Who do you think paid the rats

Lid
Feb 18, 2005

And the mercy seat is awaiting,
And I think my head is burning,
And in a way I'm yearning,
To be done with all this measuring of proof.
An eye for an eye
And a tooth for a tooth,
And anyway I told the truth,
And I'm not afraid to die.
http://www.smh.com.au/comment/samesex-marriage-debate-im-no-homophobe-but-i-fear-for-vulnerable-children-20170915-gyi17x.html

the slippery slope The Slippery Slope ThE SLiPPerY SLoPE

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Malcolm Roberts to be cross-examined and bring expert to high court citizenship case

:allears:

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar

"The vitriolic abuse people experience for holding views in opposition to the legalisation of same-sex marriage is phenomenal. A culture has developed whereby it's acceptable to vilify, mock, abuse and shame anyone who stands in the way or even raise questions about whether we should legalise same-sex marriage.

I have been called a homophobe, a bigot and been told that my views are disgusting."

:thunk::thunk::thunk:

hooman
Oct 11, 2007

This guy seems legit.
Fun Shoe

Why are people so angry when I say that they shouldn't have human rights?

Jesus christ it's literally that calm hitler comic.

MonoAus
Nov 5, 2012
For someone who isn't a homophobe she sure seems pretty scared of what the gays will do should they be able to marry.

ModernMajorGeneral
Jun 25, 2010
https://www.theguardian.com/australia-news/2017/sep/15/turnbull-says-john-howard-could-help-coalition-fine-tune-marriage-legislation

Turnbull says John Howard could help Coalition fine-tune marriage legislation

But... why?

Box of Bunnies
Apr 3, 2012

by Pragmatica

I mean, he did it the first time.

MonoAus
Nov 5, 2012

quote:

Last year, in Ireland, a baker was found guilty of unlawful discrimination for refusing to bake a cake with the words "support gay marriage"

quote:

If we cannot speak freely now without attack when same-sex marriage has not been legalised, what consequences yet lie ahead if it is?

"the only thing we should be free to say is how much we don't want ssm"?

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!
I'm aggressively wrong about everything!
It'd be pretty great if people who aren't lying and/or pained about being called bigoted got traction in the press on all this. Maybe people who represent the clear majority view among Australians, even.

Just putting that out there.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."

To keep the right happy.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Open MarriageAct.doc, find the May 2004 commit, hit 'revert'.

GoldStandardConure
Jun 11, 2010

I have to kill fast
and mayflies too slow

Pillbug

Because he will find away to make the changes lovely, like make the marriage act say 'a man and a woman, a man and a man, or a woman and a woman', leaving trans people and intersex and other non-binary people in the lurch, Greens will oppose it because it will be a garbage amendment, and then the LNP get to stand up and say "SO MUCH FOR THE TOLLERANT LEFT!" and then nothing will happen and everyone will blame the yes crowd, or some poo poo like that

Senor Tron
May 26, 2006

gently caress that, Howard got turfed out of parliament.

MysticalMachineGun
Apr 5, 2005

Senor Tron posted:

gently caress that, Howard got turfed out of parliament.

Exactly, John Howard's say in our democracy is now reduced to whatever boxes he ticks at voting time. Unless he's an expert in a field commissioned by the government he should have no say in our elected parliament.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CrazyTolradi
Oct 2, 2011

It feels so good to be so bad.....at posting.

MysticalMachineGun posted:

Exactly, John Howard's say in our democracy is now reduced to whatever boxes he ticks at voting time. Unless he's an expert in a field commissioned by the government he should have no say in our elected parliament.
This is exactly what runs through my head everytime I see some article "John Howard slams X" or "John Howard says Y", why does anyone care anymore? He got the absolute poo poo kicked out of him in 2007, lost his seat and scuttled off into the darkness only to speak out because oh no the gays might be able to marry! Also, oh no gender fluidity, if Johnny doesn't have to identify as a man, then what is left for him to identify as?!

• Locked thread