Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
ulmont
Sep 15, 2010

IF I EVER MISS VOTING IN AN ELECTION (EVEN AMERICAN IDOL) ,OR HAVE UNPAID PARKING TICKETS, PLEASE TAKE AWAY MY FRANCHISE

Sky Shadowing posted:

Wiz said on other boards, either Reddit or Plaza, that the decision was made to do 8 high quality portraits rather than 12 medium quality ones.
Plaza.

Wiz @ Paradox posted:

[12] was the original amount we aimed for, but we ended up focusing on fewer but more detailed portraits instead.
https://forum.paradoxplaza.com/forum/index.php?threads/stellaris-dev-diary-86-%C4%8Capek-synthetic-dawn-patch-notes.1043979/#post-23281008

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fintilgin
Sep 29, 2004

Fintilgin sweeps!

Sky Shadowing posted:

Wiz said on other boards, either Reddit or Plaza, that the decision was made to do 8 high quality portraits rather than 12 medium quality ones.

I'll take that trade.

I wish we'd gotten some sort of polite butler/cute friendly robot design.

Not a big deal though.

turn off the TV
Aug 4, 2010

moderately annoying

Sky Shadowing posted:

I'll take that trade.

I can't believe that they were wasting time having their sound engineer and composer working on the audio instead of drawing the other four animated portraits. Jesus Christ, Paradox is a joke of a company.

Wolfechu
May 2, 2009

All the world's a stage I'm going through

These aren't getting enough love in amongst the 8!=12 discussion.

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

"From each according to his ability" said Ares. It sounded like a quotation.
Buglord

Wolfechu posted:

quote:

Devouring Swarms will no longer be required to learn about friendship to unlock their last ascension perk.
lol

wiegieman
Apr 22, 2010

Royalty is a continuous cutting motion

I use Animated Synthetic Portraits so I literally don't care about their synth pics.

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Wolfechu posted:

He unfortunately put the best joke up at the top

quote:

Added Fallen Machine Empires, old and unpredictable AI based on the code that ran diplomacy for non-player countries in the release build of EU4.

Wolfechu
May 2, 2009

wiegieman posted:

I use Animated Synthetic Portraits so I literally don't care about their synth pics.

Does that still break stuff? Last mechanist game I did, it apparently stopped my Droids automatically upgrading to synths, leaving me with dozens of second rate pops. According to some discussion on steam, anyhow.

Main Paineframe
Oct 27, 2010

Captain Oblivious posted:

But they didn't promise anything. That's literally the whole point here.

Anything you tell the customer is a promise as far as they're concerned. That's why managing expectations is important. Is it really that unreasonable for people to comment on the fact that what was delivered is different from what the hype material said was in the works?

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

I'm not like other posters

Main Paineframe posted:

Anything you tell the customer is a promise as far as they're concerned. That's why managing expectations is important. Is it really that unreasonable for people to comment on the fact that what was delivered is different from what the hype material said was in the works?

No. A "dang that sucks" is a reasonable stance. "Paradox LIED in their advertisements" is not, which is the kind of response that got mocked in the thread :v:

BadOptics
Sep 11, 2012

wiegieman posted:

Are those the mod ones that look bad?

Sky Shadowing posted:

I'll take that trade.

I've already cancelled my pre-order personally.

BadOptics fucked around with this message at 04:50 on Sep 15, 2017

Crazycryodude
Aug 15, 2015

Lets get our X tons of Duranium back!

....Is that still a valid thing to jingoistically blow out of proportion?

BadOptics posted:

Are those the mod ones that look bad?

Yeah

AriadneThread
Feb 17, 2011

The Devil sounds like smoke and honey. We cannot move. It is too beautiful.

BadOptics posted:

I've already cancelled my pre-order personally.

oh yeah? well i pre-orded my cancelation

Aethernet
Jan 28, 2009

This is the Captain...

Our glorious political masters have, in their wisdom, decided to form an alliance with a rag-tag bunch of freedom fighters right when the Federation has us at a tactical disadvantage. Unsurprisingly, this has resulted in the Feds firing on our vessels...

Damn you Huxley!

Grimey Drawer
Noticed this in bug fixes:

quote:

- Fleets are now capped at 500 ships, to prevent various bugs and interface issues

I hope you all like additional micro in the late game, when your fleet with thousands of corvettes will have to be six separate fleets. It's not a great deal of extra micro, but this feels like the sort of change that could've waited for a proper war-focused patch. Hopefully ship cost changes will mean that megafleets are no longer a thing.

GamingHyena
Jul 25, 2003

Devil's Advocate

Aethernet posted:

I hope you all like additional micro in the late game, when your fleet with thousands of corvettes will have to be six separate fleets. It's not a great deal of extra micro, but this feels like the sort of change that could've waited for a proper war-focused patch. Hopefully ship cost changes will mean that megafleets are no longer a thing.

Can the game's AI even handle using multiple fleets intelligently? As far as I can tell the only AI battle plan is just build one massive fleet and after you destroy that an unending stream of corvettes to try and take back their now conquered planets.

wiegieman
Apr 22, 2010

Royalty is a continuous cutting motion

Wolfechu posted:

Does that still break stuff? Last mechanist game I did, it apparently stopped my Droids automatically upgrading to synths, leaving me with dozens of second rate pops. According to some discussion on steam, anyhow.

Didn't break anything for me, so it's probably something else you had installed.

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

Baby even when I'm dead and gone
You will always be my only one, my only one
When the night is calling
No matter who I become
You will always be my only one, my only one, my only one
When the night is calling

Well I've already cancelled my ability to feel human :smug:

Because I synthetic ascensioned :smuggo:

Wolfechu
May 2, 2009

wiegieman posted:

Didn't break anything for me, so it's probably something else you had installed.

That's entirely possible, though the only stuff I have installed is a bunch of animated portrait races and Cans for extra names.

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

Mister Adequate posted:

Well I've already cancelled my ability to feel human :smug:

Because I synthetic ascensioned :smuggo:
I'm afraid I'm going to have to dismantle you, and recycle your body into degrading kitchen appliances.

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy

Aethernet posted:

build more battleships.

kaffo
Jun 20, 2017

If it's broken, it's probably my fault
These patch notees are glorous

While I'm sad about the Mastry of Nature nerf, it now does bring it down in like with the others

I'm really excited to see how the new component changes work out too, especially if they are trying to make missiles not a total waste of time

The colony ship changes I'm feeling a bit mixed. I'm a big fan of them lowing the cost of the initial ship to 300 (and raising the priviate to 300 (and lowering space ports too thank god)) and I'm even happy they changed out the lowered ship cost with lowered influence costs...
But the raised initial cost is gonna be a bit of a string early game, especially for those unlucky players who start with their nearest habitable planet miles away (especially with now with 50% less planets in the first place)

Sounds to me like getting planets is gonna be way more of a strategic game (I suppose they now have like nearly double the border radius, so they have that going for them) but RIP everyone's influence when you've gotta start placing down frountier stations every 5 feet to gobble up the good systems because the nearest habitital is 20 zillion light years away
not that I'm that salty about it really, its easy enough to up the slider in game gen, but I thought I'd bring it up anyway

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

from hell's heart I cast at thee
🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

Soup du Journey posted:

dude, im very much over this right now.
Never gets old.

I actually would like some generic construction/mining etc. portraits and am disappointed that there won't be any at release, but doubling down on a joke that got taken way too loving seriously is never the answer.

AriadneThread posted:

oh yeah? well i pre-orded my cancelation
I've been cancelled by my pre-order. loving servitors.

Playstation 4
Apr 25, 2014
Unlockable Ben

hobbesmaster posted:

Free tile blocker removal took all thinking out of how to deal with them. It shouldn't be surprising that it was nerfed.

And yet Alphamod managed this without any nerd to MoN. Probably still aint gonna be playing vanilla anytime soon.

Kitchner
Nov 9, 2012

IT CAN'T BE BARGAINED WITH.
IT CAN'T BE REASONED WITH.
IT DOESN'T FEEL PITY, OR REMORSE, OR FEAR.
AND IT ABSOLUTELY WILL NOT STOP, EVER, UNTIL YOU ADMIT YOU'RE WRONG ABOUT WARHAMMER
Clapping Larry

Main Paineframe posted:

Anything you tell the customer is a promise as far as they're concerned. That's why managing expectations is important.

Oh boy, I wasn't sure at first when we elected you to speak to all consumers everywhere, but now I've seen you in action speaking for us all, I'm really glad we did.

The way I see it is I didn't even remember them saying they planned 12, when thus was pointed out I was like "Huh, that's weird, I wonder why they only did 8?" then when I saw Wiz's tweet I was like "ohhh, makes sense I guess".

You see when the DLC is :10bux: I don't really give a poo poo whether it's 8 or 12 portraits, because 8 portraits for robots plus all the synthetic dawn content is still really good value for money for the price.

Its worth remembering that when Stellaris was released it probably wasn't worth full price as many planned features either didn't exist or didn't work. That was a fair enough shout and people were annoyed about that.

The guys developing the game have managed to put out a bunch of awesome free patches massively addressing the games key issues, and the DLC policy for Stellaris is by far the best of all the paradox games in terms of content and price. So yeah, I mean for me at least this cuts them a lot of slack when it comes to not quite delivering what's planned but still delivering good value. I can't be the only one.

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

Kitchner posted:

The guys developing the game have managed to put out a bunch of awesome free patches massively addressing the games key issues, and the DLC policy for Stellaris is by far the best of all the paradox games in terms of content and price. So yeah, I mean for me at least this cuts them a lot of slack when it comes to not quite delivering what's planned but still delivering good value. I can't be the only one.
It's very similar to the Triumph DLC model for AoW III (though AoW III was in waaay better shape at launch, they just kept making it even better). Bunch of bug fixes and additional content (including major game component reworks) paid for by an accompanying "even more stuff" DLC.

DatonKallandor
Aug 21, 2009

"I can no longer sit back and allow nationalist shitposting, nationalist indoctrination, nationalist subversion, and the German nationalist conspiracy to sap and impurify all of our precious game balance."

Fintilgin posted:

At first I was thinking SHODAN would be a driven exterminator, but on reflection she's definitely a cyborg assimilator.

She's also going Biological Ascenscion path for some reason.

Conskill
May 7, 2007

I got an 'F' in Geometry.

Kitchner posted:

You're not wrong, it's, just, there's not a lot of value in making noise about an issue someone raised just to stir up poo poo even when it is obliviously taken up by earnest people? :shrug:

DatonKallandor posted:

She's also going Biological Ascenscion path for some reason.

I think SHODAN might be broken.

Main Paineframe
Oct 27, 2010

Kitchner posted:

Oh boy, I wasn't sure at first when we elected you to speak to all consumers everywhere, but now I've seen you in action speaking for us all, I'm really glad we did.

The way I see it is I didn't even remember them saying they planned 12, when thus was pointed out I was like "Huh, that's weird, I wonder why they only did 8?" then when I saw Wiz's tweet I was like "ohhh, makes sense I guess".

You see when the DLC is :10bux: I don't really give a poo poo whether it's 8 or 12 portraits, because 8 portraits for robots plus all the synthetic dawn content is still really good value for money for the price.

Its worth remembering that when Stellaris was released it probably wasn't worth full price as many planned features either didn't exist or didn't work. That was a fair enough shout and people were annoyed about that.

If you're impressed with me now, just wait until next month when I roast Paradox because a headline feature of their DLC is broken in some way.

If you're happy with the portraits, that's okay, that's your choice. Telling other people that they're not allowed to be annoyed by it is really dumb, though. You've complained about aspects of the game in this thread, but now that one of the devs dropped a snarky comment suddenly this is a no-criticism-allowed zone and we now have to love everything the devs say and do?

Personally, I don't really care about the robot portraits! I'm just annoyed that the devs are acting like "be careful what you show your customers if you're not 100% sure it'll absolutely be implemented as described or better" is some sort of unfortunate consequence of dealing with creepy obsessive gamer, rather than bog-standard advice that applies across the entire professional software development industry. If he'd just said "we had some problems and ended up not having time to do 12 portraits", instead of making some snarky comment implying that it's awful and unreasonable to even acknowledge it, I'd have been just fine with it.

Kitchner
Nov 9, 2012

IT CAN'T BE BARGAINED WITH.
IT CAN'T BE REASONED WITH.
IT DOESN'T FEEL PITY, OR REMORSE, OR FEAR.
AND IT ABSOLUTELY WILL NOT STOP, EVER, UNTIL YOU ADMIT YOU'RE WRONG ABOUT WARHAMMER
Clapping Larry

Main Paineframe posted:

If you're happy with the portraits, that's okay, that's your choice. Telling other people that they're not allowed to be annoyed by it is really dumb, though. You've complained about aspects of the game in this thread, but now that one of the devs dropped a snarky comment suddenly this is a no-criticism-allowed zone and we now have to love everything the devs say and do?

People can complain, they are free to complain about whatever they want, just as people can respond by saying they are dumb to be annoyed about the fact they said they wanted to make 12 portraits but only made 8 in a DLC that still provides great value for money on a game that has seen significant free updates.

I don't give a poo poo what any of the guys from Paradox say, I think it's a dumb complaint, just like I think it's a dumb suggestion to say "remove armies because the current system doesn't work". People don't have to agree with my opinions (though obviously since my opinions must be the correct and superior opinions I advise them to do so) and this thread would be pretty loving boring if everyone just agreed on the same poo poo.

I guess the bit I took the most issue with is the fact you made out in your post pretty much everyone would be annoyed at seeing "we planned 12" then "there are 8" when I really don't think anyone reasonable would have a seriously problem with that. I'm sure lots of gamers on the Paradox forums are raging over this right now, but there are lots of unreasonable gamers in my view. In my opinion anyone just being a rational human being may be sad they didn't get more robots sure, but not consider it be a real problem to be angry about.

Main Paineframe posted:

Personally, I don't really care about the robot portraits! I'm just annoyed that the devs are acting like "be careful what you show your customers if you're not 100% sure it'll absolutely be implemented as described or better" is some sort of unfortunate consequence of dealing with creepy obsessive gamer, rather than bog-standard advice that applies across the entire professional software development industry. If he'd just said "we had some problems and ended up not having time to do 12 portraits", instead of making some snarky comment implying that it's awful and unreasonable to even acknowledge it, I'd have been just fine with it.

It's clear to pretty much anyone that the developer diaries are being posted when the next Thing is being worked on, and therefore there may be changes to the end product. Just like anything you're shown in development will have the caveat "In development, final product might differ" or something similar. Do they really need to put that in big letter at the start of every developer diary in order for people to be satisfied?

If people want to skewer paradox about things they are doing wrong that's fine, I've done it myself, but if other people think it's a dumb complaint to be making considering a) the end product and b) the fact it was clearly an "in development" showcase/statement that may change, they are free to point that out too.

BadOptics
Sep 11, 2012

IMO, the only thing this dlc is missing is the ability to start on a tomb world as robots. How am I supposed to roleplay as a galactic SKYNET/Prometheus wiz?!?!?!

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

Kitchner posted:

People can complain, they are free to complain about whatever they want, just as people can respond by saying they are dumb to be annoyed about the fact they said they wanted to make 12 portraits but only made 8 in a DLC that still provides great value for money on a game that has seen significant free updates.
Like I said, I'd like some generic constructor bots and such, but in an "I would like some generic constructor bots and such" way, not "You promised me TWELVE robot gifs not EIGHT! The FTC shall hear of this, mark my words!"

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy
Didn't a goon make a bunch of really loving good robot portraits? Just use those.

fake edit: https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=891425376

Soup du Journey
Mar 20, 2006

by FactsAreUseless

Conskill posted:

You're not wrong, it's, just, there's not a lot of value in making noise about an issue someone raised just to stir up poo poo even when it is obliviously taken up by earnest people? :shrug:
i'm not the boogeyman, dude. no need to ascribe sinister motivations to me.

i'm mildly and correctly critical of a product (flawed swedishly) that i'll probably be buying. i enjoy their products and own many of them. i make little homebrew mods for each one to enhance my experience. i rename sweden to frozen hell full of horrible little goblins in every one. or maybe i dont do that. in either case i enjoy the freedom to do so. having experienced enlightenment im aware that swedes are imperfect beings whose nature is reflected in their workings. both are capable of salvation. sometimes i speak about that, even here in this very thread. there is no need to be upset or think in absolutes. i am not outraged and i do not think the dlc is terrible (although sweden unfortunately is). my thoughts are true and wise. the ending of the words is ALMSIVI.

now, on to something that i was thinking about in bed: do fire rate & evasion bonuses apply to strike craft? if not, will they in 1.8?

LogisticEarth
Mar 28, 2004

Someone once told me, "Time is a flat circle".
I'm stoked for the machine portraits and the rest of the DLC/update, but I still wish that the humanoid synths we're a bit more...synthey. like, I get that a robot/Droid is fine looking like a faceless machine, but I'm thinking that biological consciousness uploaded into a body with a glowing mass of sensors instead of eyes would be... unsettling at best once they looked in a mirror.

ZombieLenin
Sep 6, 2009

"Democracy for the insignificant minority, democracy for the rich--that is the democracy of capitalist society." VI Lenin

[/quote]

Soup du Journey posted:

i'm not the boogeyman, dude. no need to ascribe sinister motivations to me.

i'm mildly and correctly critical of a product (flawed swedishly) that i'll probably be buying. i enjoy their products and own many of them. i make little homebrew mods for each one to enhance my experience. i rename sweden to frozen hell full of horrible little goblins in every one. or maybe i dont do that. in either case i enjoy the freedom to do so. having experienced enlightenment im aware that swedes are imperfect beings whose nature is reflected in their workings. both are capable of salvation. sometimes i speak about that, even here in this very thread. there is no need to be upset or think in absolutes. i am not outraged and i do not think the dlc is terrible (although sweden unfortunately is). my thoughts are true and wise. the ending of the words is ALMSIVI.

now, on to something that i was thinking about in bed: do fire rate & evasion bonuses apply to strike craft? if not, will they in 1.8?

I'm curious is this a genetic trait of Swedes or does one have to be from Sweden proper? I ask because my wife is a 3rd generation "Swede" who has never been to Sweden and doesn't speak Swedish. Although sometimes she has goblin like the traits, and at other times I believe she might split my head with an axe like a Viking.

I always thought this has more to do with her personality, but given your post filled with ancient Swede wisdom I'm beginning to wonder if it is a "racial" trait.

Psychotic Weasel
Jun 24, 2004

Bang! You're dead.
They could go through and give every portrait in the game a set of glowing red eyes I guess?

I mean the synths should resemble the race they are 'mixing' with but then it would be difficult to tell them apart at a glance.

Soup du Journey
Mar 20, 2006

by FactsAreUseless

LogisticEarth posted:

I'm stoked for the machine portraits and the rest of the DLC/update, but I still wish that the humanoid synths we're a bit more...synthey. like, I get that a robot/Droid is fine looking like a faceless machine, but I'm thinking that biological consciousness uploaded into a body with a glowing mass of sensors instead of eyes would be... unsettling at best once they looked in a mirror.
anyone whod upload themselves into a machine is completely deranged and likely has no use for a mirror. having said that, there are some deece synth humans in the workshop to play around with. they're still eerie as heck of course.

Truga posted:

Didn't a goon make a bunch of really loving good robot portraits? Just use those.

fake edit: https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=891425376
yeah so this guy is great in general. like mine, his heart is large and pure, so he also made the lovers mod. one of my cool ideas that i'll probably do over here is to separate that race's component portraits into individual races of their own. i'll flag them all as non_randomized_portraits so that nobody starts with them, and then spawn a galaxy only with races that correspond to the loverized portraits (so regular roaches if there is a flowery roach, regular squids if there is a flowery squid, etc). what will i do then you ask?? well!!! i will play as enlightened decadent humans who turn themselves into space elves and everyone they conquer into pretty nerve-stapled flower-things to live on their pretty new gaia planets. wow dr. du journey!!! thats a great idea!! its like prometheus except instead of black goo you're doing it with pretty red plants :O

Playstation 4
Apr 25, 2014
Unlockable Ben
What the unholy gently caress did I unleash on this thread.

I mean, everything is my fault, after all.

Fleet Consciousness Would Have Won

Soup du Journey
Mar 20, 2006

by FactsAreUseless

ZombieLenin posted:

I'm curious is this a genetic trait of Swedes or does one have to be from Sweden proper? I ask because my wife is a 3rd generation "Swede" who has never been to Sweden and doesn't speak Swedish. Although sometimes she has goblin like the traits, and at other times I believe she might split my head with an axe like a Viking.

I always thought this has more to do with her personality, but given your post filled with ancient Swede wisdom I'm beginning to wonder if it is a "racial" trait.

well, back when i was fleeing one of the people's republics in eastern europe, i had a migratory friend who twisted orthogonally and diagonalized north instead of west. so he wound up in sweden and after this many years i must confess he is tragically swedish and we dont speak no more. so its not innate. they've got an evil clown down there somewhere, who feeds ruinously on their souls and infects survivors with a callous yet subtly cruel torpor. well maybe its not so subtle if you're beverly marsh. okay thats my answer.

OH AND IM STILL WONDERING ABOUT THOSE STRIKE CRAFT!!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GenericOverusedName
Nov 24, 2009

KUVA TEAM EPIC
I can't wait to play as assimilators and pretend I'm the Cryptark

• Locked thread