Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

raditts posted:

When people say "Robotech" do they mean just Macross, or the weird incomprehensible mashup of three completely different but similar looking shows that comprised the Robotech series in the US?

In regards to the movie, who knows? Probably just Macross, but if it becomes a huge franchise somehow i could seem them bringing in bits from the other animes for sequels.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink
The Robotech brand is owned by Harmony Gold, and they've been involved with numerous lawsuits over how much of Macross they actually own, as well as numerous other lawsuits involving tax fraud, embezzlement and false accounting.

I doubt they have the rights to produce anything involving the 80s anime. It'd almost certainly be something wholly original.

Assuming it's not actually a scam. Given the company's history, that's my personal guess.

Mecha Gojira
Jun 23, 2006

Jack Nissan
You're seeing this push because they'll lose the rights in like four years.

Nothing is going to come out of it, though. I remember when Tobey Maguire was attached to the project like fifteen years ago.

Young Freud
Nov 26, 2006

raditts posted:

When people say "Robotech" do they mean just Macross, or the weird incomprehensible mashup of three completely different but similar looking shows that comprised the Robotech series in the US?

It's funny you say this, but all the original animated Robotech like Sentinels and Shadow Chronicles all seem to be just extension of the Mospeda segment. Like there's no reintroduction or updates of Macross or Southern Cross stuff, it's all just Mospeda mecha.

Not that I don't like Mospeda, it's probably my favorite segment because I have a hard-on for that '80s post-apocalypse mecha stuff like Grey: Digital Target, VOTOMS, Appleseed, Maschinen Krieger Zbv3000, and Dragon's Heaven. Macross is always a given, but I've fallen in love with the beautiful failure that's Southern Cross and it's very '80s "Pyrrhic victory" ending would rather see a remake of than another Macross sequel.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

Schwarzwald posted:

The Robotech brand is owned by Harmony Gold, and they've been involved with numerous lawsuits over how much of Macross they actually own, as well as numerous other lawsuits involving tax fraud, embezzlement and false accounting.

I doubt they have the rights to produce anything involving the 80s anime. It'd almost certainly be something wholly original.

Assuming it's not actually a scam. Given the company's history, that's my personal guess.

Does Harmony Gold actually do anything other than sue people over giant robot rights? They've been a royal pain for Macross, Battletech/Mechwarrior, and probably several other things for decades now.

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747

Inescapable Duck posted:

Does Harmony Gold actually do anything other than sue people over giant robot rights? They've been a royal pain for Macross, Battletech/Mechwarrior, and probably several other things for decades now.

Nope. They realized at some point that they could make more money suing people than actually doing anything.

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007
Everyone should play DUKE games.

:dukedog:

Inescapable Duck posted:

You better believe they don't.

Wikipedia posted:

Late 1980s to early 2000s[edit source]
In 1988, after the cancellation of Robotech II: The Sentinels, a number of the staff were recruited to work at Saban Entertainment. Carl Macek, along with his friend Jerry Beck went on to found Streamline Pictures. Meanwhile, Harmony Gold began moving away from production and began focusing more on film distribution, dot-com ventures and real estate.

In 1998, Harmony Gold came under some scrutiny by several media executives for their role as a 'middleman' selling Paramount Pictures distribution rights to Mediaset.

From 1999 to the early 2000s, the company began reverting to film production once again. They partnered with Netter Digital and hired Carl Macek to write Robotech 3000, a spinoff of the original series. A promotional trailer was screened at the 2000 FanimeCon anime convention, and was widely panned by fans. Tatsunoko Productions attempted to salvage the project, to no avail.

2000s and beyond[edit source]
Harmony Gold began heavily pushing Robotech, first by releasing the series via a partnership with ADV Films in the US, and Manga Entertainment in the UK. In 2006, they partnered with FUNimation Entertainment to release Robotech: The Shadow Chronicles on home video.

In August 2014, Harmony Gold released their first direct-to-video live-action feature in over a decade, The Big Goofy Secret of Hidden Pines. Directed by Henri Charr, the film revolves around the comedic antics of two vacationers after they stumble upon Bigfoot.

Legal problems[edit source]
Harmony Gold and its founder, Frank Agrama, have had an extensive history of legal troubles beginning in the early 2000s. Italian investigators discovered and froze bank accounts in Switzerland; five belonging to Agrama. According to another Italian daily, the Corriere della Sera, the five accounts are said to contain SFr140 million ($109.5 million). This early investigation led to two high-profile trials.

Mediaset conviction[edit source]
On November 29, 2006, federal agents raided Agrama's home and offices in connection with Italy's ongoing tax fraud, embezzlement and false accounting investigation of its former Prime Minister Silvio Berlusconi. Court documents revealed the recent search by FBI agents centered on Italian allegations that Agrama, Berlusconi and others fraudulently inflated the price of television rights originally purchased by Agrama so that millions of dollars in kickbacks could be paid to executives of Berlusconi's Mediaset media empire.[11]

On October 26, 2012, Agrama was convicted after a lengthy trial involving the buying and selling of US film rights to the Mediaset media company at inflated prices.[12] As his age exceeded 70 years, he was exempted from direct imprisonment and served no actual jail time. According to the Los Angeles Times, on November 21, 2006 prosecutors in Milan, Italy charged Agrama, along with Berlusconi and ten others, in a trial over tax fraud, embezzlement and false accounting at Mediaset.

Cooked Auto
Aug 4, 2007

BexGu posted:

Honestly without Paul Walker to balance out Vin Diesel anymore it's kind of time for old crew to move on and bring in the Hobbs/Shaw Fast and Furious.

A movie where The Rock and Statham snipe and snark at each other while saving the world?
Yes please :swoon:

Also
gently caress you Harmony Gold. :argh:

BexGu
Jan 9, 2004

This fucking day....

Cooked Auto posted:

A movie where The Rock and Statham snipe and snark at each other while saving the world?
Yes please :swoon:

Also
gently caress you Harmony Gold. :argh:

Never gonna happen because Vin Diesel is never gonna give up on the franchise that made him a star and kept him famous. Studio will probably have to make a Quick and Frenzied movie franchise for The Rock and Statham.

Mierenneuker
Apr 28, 2010

We're all going to experience changes in our life but only the best of us will qualify for front row seats.

The Slow & The Mildly Annoyed: a spin-of starring Eastwood's character.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

BexGu posted:

Never gonna happen because Vin Diesel is never gonna give up on the franchise that made him a star and kept him famous. Studio will probably have to make a Quick and Frenzied movie franchise for The Rock and Statham.

Does he actually have any control over the rights? I know he had massive creative control over the later movies, but I assumed that was something the studio let him have so he would be in the movies, I don't think he can do anything about a movie that he isn't in.

Waffles Inc.
Jan 20, 2005

MonsieurChoc posted:

I love the style of 80s anime sci-fi, and there's just no way Hollywood can do it justice. If it ever gets out of development hell, Robotech is gonna be terrible.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I4aQQBLokNo

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xBoXmZGl8p8

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f7UUQd7lLbA

if would be deeply deeply sick to see the dope macross missile trails in a movie; i'm always surprised we don't see that visual language in more war stuff, it's visceral as hell

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007

BexGu posted:

They should bring back Spy Hunter.

BexGu
Jan 9, 2004

This fucking day....

Skwirl posted:

Does he actually have any control over the rights? I know he had massive creative control over the later movies, but I assumed that was something the studio let him have so he would be in the movies, I don't think he can do anything about a movie that he isn't in.

You know I tired looking it up and not I'm sure. Your right that the studio game Vin massive creative control for the later movies but he only got the rights to the Riddick movies for this cameo in Fast and Furious 3. I can't imagine that kind of stink Vin would raise if a studio tried to do a F&F movie without him through. (Even if he's characters arc is completely done).

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

BexGu posted:

You know I tired looking it up and not I'm sure. Your right that the studio game Vin massive creative control for the later movies but he only got the rights to the Riddick movies for this cameo in Fast and Furious 3. I can't imagine that kind of stink Vin would raise if a studio tried to do a F&F movie without him through. (Even if he's characters arc is completely done).

Yeah, I seriously doubt he has any legal control of the IP, since he didn't have any creative input in probably the first 4 films. It's like how JJ Abrams had tons of input and basically designed the overall arc of the new Star Wars movies, but if Disney felt like it they could tell him gently caress off and there'd be nothing he could do.

If the new movie is a buddy action film about The Rock and Jason Statham, I don't think Vin Diesel throwing a poo poo fit will hurt the box-office much.

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

People generally like the Rock more anyway. If he throws a hissy fit he'll be the only one looking bad. The studio kind of has all the cards here.

Alexander Hamilton
Dec 29, 2008
Yeah, we probably had more sway before he tried to do his own F&F with xXx and it bombed.

LesterGroans
Jun 9, 2009

It's funny...

You were so scary at night.
He apparently got a Rock/Statham post-credit sequence axed from F8, so he still has some pull. I can't imagine it reaches far enough to stop the studio from making a multi-million dollar spinoff though.

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

I'm honestly a little annoyed that Statham's crimes got completely disappeared after a short "bonding scene". It took Han's death and have it the weight of "That guy stole my car, what a cad!" It's a ridiculous series but that's too much and bad planning on top of that. At least have him come back and say he faked his death or something so Statham isn't an actual murderer.

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

We never actually saw him kill Han anyway. Maybe he didn't!

GrandpaPants
Feb 13, 2006

Free to roam the heavens in man's noble quest to investigate the weirdness of the universe!

I would watch a Han solo movie.

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

The Kwanzaa Bot is here to protect me.

The series still needs to time travel and go to space before it's really complete and Tokyo Drift exists in some weird time anomaly as established in F7, so maybe in F9 they can time travel to save Han before he blows up.

Snowman_McK
Jan 31, 2010

GrandpaPants posted:

I would watch a Han Seoul-O movie.

Literally his name.

NoneMoreNegative
Jul 20, 2000
GOTH FASCISTIC
PAIN
MASTER

shit wizard dad

raditts posted:

The series still needs to time travel and go to space before it's really complete and Tokyo Drift exists in some weird time anomaly as established in F7, so maybe in F9 they can time travel to save Han before he blows up.

lol

Furiouser and Furiouser: Racing Time

The Rock speeds through a glowing blue portal to leap out of his car and tackle Statham just as he is about to ambush Han

Rock powers through another portal, Statham leaning right out of the passenger window to catch Gal Gadot

etc

Snowman_McK
Jan 31, 2010

NoneMoreNegative posted:

lol

Furiouser and Furiouser: Racing Time

The Rock speeds through a glowing blue portal to leap out of his car and tackle Statham just as he is about to ambush Han

Rock powers through another portal, Statham leaning right out of the passenger window to catch Gal Gadot

etc

This would be, unironically, an almost perfect team up, where The Rock and Statham bluster at each other, and the other two roll their eyes constantly.

And it would only require the, like, third dumbest thing in the series.

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

raditts posted:

Just make Overdrift canon

FrumpleOrz
Feb 12, 2014

Perhaps you have not been to the *Playground*.
The *Playground* is for Taalo and for Orz, but *Campers* can go.
It more fun than several.
You can go there for too much fun.
They could just add clones and it wouldn't be that out of place for the series. A cloned Han leads a group of clones of the main F&F Family. It doesn't seem THAT silly for the series overall.

Shrimp or Shrimps
Feb 14, 2012

Wait, why doesn't Gibson want The Rock to do a spin-off? Is it like an "out of respect for the series" kind of thing?

I can't imagine a spin-off being successful as anything but a validation of the series.

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK posted:

Just make Overdrift canon

What now?

The MSJ
May 17, 2010

John Wick Chapter 3 is set for release on May 17, 2019.

raditts posted:

What now?

Here it is IN THE SCALES

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N2IWxqvsSY8

The MSJ fucked around with this message at 03:20 on Sep 15, 2017

40 Proof Listerine
Jul 1, 2007

Baroness Kanan-Zelaya of the minor House of Carbon

Shrimp or Shrimps posted:

Wait, why doesn't Gibson want The Rock to do a spin-off? Is it like an "out of respect for the series" kind of thing?

I can't imagine a spin-off being successful as anything but a validation of the series.
Fast and Furious 9 already has a release date announced for 2019, so if a spinoff with The Rock happens (of which, no details are set yet), it will probably cause a production delay and that means a delayed paycheck for all the other actors in the Fast Franchise not named The Rock.

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007

Just have Vin Diesel come back as his character from The Wheelman and no one acknowledges the change other than calling him by that name instead.

Guy Mann
Mar 28, 2016

by Lowtax
The guy who made Room 237 is doing a documentary about Jayne Mansfield and Anton LaVey.

Chairman Capone
Dec 17, 2008

Not unexpected, but great to have it official. I liked John Wick, but Chapter 2 was just such a fun movie. Great visual style and I admire its willingness to just fully embrace this bizarre secret society of ritualistic assassins full on.

FishBulb
Mar 29, 2003

Marge, I'd like to be alone with the sandwich for a moment.

Are you going to eat it?

...yes...
I wish they had explained it a little less.

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

Yeah, John Wick is one of those cases where it's better to keep the world a bit mysterious because the concept is so ridiculous that it falls apart if too much is explained. And JW2 saw the line and took a flying leap over it. There are apparently far more people in New York who are assassins than not.

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

raditts posted:

Yeah, John Wick is one of those cases where it's better to keep the world a bit mysterious because the concept is so ridiculous that it falls apart if too much is explained. And JW2 saw the line and took a flying leap over it.
It was a little too much but it managed to still keep it fun.

Riot Bimbo
Dec 28, 2006

the thing about john wick 2 is you still basically know nothing about that world by the end, just that new york is a dangerous place for an assassin that breaks the rules.

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

JW2 doesn't explicitly say this, but I get the feeling that the assassination poo poo is incredibly common place in it, which is really funny and I love.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Taintrunner
Apr 10, 2017

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

basic hitler posted:

the thing about john wick 2 is you still basically know nothing about that world by the end, just that new york is a dangerous place for an assassin that breaks the rules.

You know that you really don't care anymore as there's no emotional weight and there's never a meaningful opponent to wick as he carves through infinite dudes running into frame with no regard for their own life

• Locked thread