Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Kruxy posted:

Wow, that was super smooth. AUP would use again. A++++

No poo poo!

Got the phone and watch done in 3 min flat.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BGrifter
Mar 16, 2007

Winner of Something Awful PS5 thread's Posting Excellence Award June 2022

Congratulations!
Yep, silver iPhone 8 64gb preorder placed through the app. No hassles, estimated delivery next Friday!

illcendiary
Dec 4, 2005

Damn, this is good coffee.
Forgot how much easier the app is than the website.

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

Jesus. I placed 2 separate orders within 5 mins. I’ve never had it go that smoothly. The servers are usually making GBS threads themselves for at least 30 mins after midnight.

Sock The Great
Oct 1, 2006

It's Lonely At The Top. But It's Comforting To Look Down Upon Everyone At The Bottom
Grimey Drawer
Was able to upgrade with ATT next through the Apple Store app. Relief

BGrifter
Mar 16, 2007

Winner of Something Awful PS5 thread's Posting Excellence Award June 2022

Congratulations!
Now it's time for accessory shopping! Buying a couple Spigen ultra slim bumper cases cause of how much I love the one on my 6s.

What's the best option for a Qi charging mat?

wicka
Jun 28, 2007

BGrifter posted:

So um... I'm feeling pretty good about going with the iPhone 8 right about now. :stare:

https://www.macrumors.com/2017/09/14/iphone-x-notch/

That's hideous. Everything about the notch looks janky and awful.

I don’t see any problem with this at all.

dissss
Nov 10, 2007

I'm a terrible forums poster with terrible opinions.

Here's a cat fucking a squid.

~Coxy posted:

"Turning WiFi off" in IOS11 is meant to disassociate you from the network, but leave Wifi itself on.

Yep and it really makes perfect sense - the only time I want to turn wifi off is if it's latched on to some crappy network and the iOS 11 way I don't have to remember to turn it back on when I get back to home/work

Xenomorph
Jun 13, 2001
When I order from Apple, their site insists that they ship the phone to the billing address. That means when I'm at work, they ship it to my house.

When I order from AT&T, they let me put ANY address in as the shipping one. For my iPhone 6S, it was delivered right into my hands at my desk.

Well, they changed their site since then. You can still type in whatever address you want, but their stupid site only takes the first line of the address. So it cropped out my department, box number, etc. I double-checked my 6S confirmation email from 2015, and it had the full address (THREE lines, I believe).

So now I have to worry about this until I get to an AT&T store tomorrow to try and sort it out. Their website chat support can't make address/order changes.

Durzel
Nov 15, 2005

BGrifter posted:

So um... I'm feeling pretty good about going with the iPhone 8 right about now. :stare:

The render at the bottom of that article looks fantastic. That's absolutely what it should've looked like.

Some places have argued that Apple are really leaning into the notch as the "new home button", and that article and the whole "don't work around the notch" would support that. I get that a notch sets the phone apart from its rivals, but that isn't automatically a good thing. Anyone saying that they welcome an arbitrary design cue like that, that actually impacts their quality of life with the product, is 100% suffering from Stockholm Syndrome.

Durzel fucked around with this message at 09:20 on Sep 15, 2017

spongeworthy
Jan 16, 2009
Snagged an i8 from AT&T's app without any fuss. That was indeed the smoothest pre-order to date.

dissss posted:

Yep and it really makes perfect sense - the only time I want to turn wifi off is if it's latched on to some crappy network and the iOS 11 way I don't have to remember to turn it back on when I get back to home/work

So how does one exactly turn off wifi now? When I turn off wifi/BT I want that poo poo =off=. If they want to gently caress around with security like that they should just make a "disconnect" switch.

Poppyseed Poundcake
Feb 23, 2007

BGrifter posted:

The chinese kids who make this stuff must be so ashamed right now

dissss
Nov 10, 2007

I'm a terrible forums poster with terrible opinions.

Here's a cat fucking a squid.

spongeworthy posted:

So how does one exactly turn off wifi now? When I turn off wifi/BT I want that poo poo =off=. If they want to gently caress around with security like that they should just make a "disconnect" switch.

Pretty sure you have to go right into settings.

I don't know why you think turning WiFi or Bluetooth off has anything to do with security though.

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

spongeworthy posted:

Totally agree regarding the WiFi. What’s annoying is when you hit the icon to I guess disconnect from current WiFi, the icon turns off like WiFi is completely disabled. Annoying.

ulvir
Jan 2, 2005

coming from Android, that's going to piss me off regularly for the first few weeks, I suppose. when I hit a quick toggle for wifi and bluetooth, I expect it to turn it off, not just disconnect from whatever's current and keep it on in the background. who the gently caress gave that decision?

the truth
Dec 16, 2007

So if I enroll in the iPhone upgrade program, will I still have the option to buy my next phone outright?

The Dave
Sep 9, 2003

Honestly the notch only sucks in landscape and outside of videos god doesn't want you using your phone in landscape.

Khablam
Mar 29, 2012

rage-saq posted:

Fortunately, because there is a screen there, they can change the behavior in software and make the notch 'disappear' in use by making it a solid black bar across the notch when you put it in landscape, and keep the notch in portrait mode where they act as designated indicator space for the the carrier/clock/battery area.
Hell, you could even have the notch area serve as a dedicated quick scroll bar when used in landscape mode, where its black (stealth notch mode) and when you drag your finger up/down it, it scrolls super fast. That would be neat.

Did you read the page? Apple aren't allowing you to write apps that do that.
Your app needs to keep the notch visible.

BGrifter posted:

Now it's time for accessory shopping! Buying a couple Spigen ultra slim bumper cases cause of how much I love the one on my 6s.

What's the best option for a Qi charging mat?
Should be noted Apple are not bundling a charger capable of quickcharge, so you might want to hold off til its known what you need.
Qi without quickcharge isn't very effective.

Pivo
Aug 20, 2004

Yeah I don't even remember the last time I turned orientation lock off on my phone.

Also that site is wrong about 'less vertical space than 4.7" because of home swipe indicator'. First, the UI renders underneath the home swipe indicator, you're just not supposed to put controls there BUT controls that scroll down there will recieve every UI action except a swipe up. Second, if your app NEEDS to have content there with no indicator on it, you can have it autohide. Third, if your app NEEDS to have interactions there, you can enable Edge Protection and it fades out the home indicator and turns the Home swipe into a two-swipe affair (once to activate it, another to go home). It really should never get in the way in practice.

I do think the notch looks a little weird with a full-screen white-background in landscape mode, but ... well, I personally never use my phone like that. I can certainly see why some people don't like it, though, but I can also see why Apple went this way instead of including thin bezels - that 'edge to edge' look makes it look significantly different than just an iPhone with thinner bezels. *shrug*

Canned Sunshine
Nov 20, 2005

CAUTION: POST QUALITY UNDER CONSTRUCTION

I really wish there was a 128 GB tier. I have 25 GB available on my iPhone 6 Plus 64 GB so I'd think the 64 GB is sufficient, but we just had a baby in May and I feel as if there's going to be a lot of photos and videos in the coming years...

Weedle
May 31, 2006

I'm not crazy about the notch or the removal of the home button, but I expect that X owners will adapt quickly, it will all turn out to be basically fine, and after the first few weeks the only people complaining will be the dogged crusaders who were never going to buy one anyway but pop up in every comment thread to talk about how it's practically the same as Tim Cook making GBS threads directly into their mouths.

Kekekela
Oct 28, 2004
Thanks for recommending the Apple Store for pre-ordering, thread! Last time I got a new phone was 2 or 3 years back and it was a pretty lovely instore experience.

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

SourKraut posted:

I really wish there was a 128 GB tier. I have 25 GB available on my iPhone 6 Plus 64 GB so I'd think the 64 GB is sufficient, but we just had a baby in May and I feel as if there's going to be a lot of photos and videos in the coming years...
Pay for a bigger iCloud storage plan. Trust me. I haven't worried about space on my phone in a very long time now. Of course I also have the 256GB 7+...

Sock The Great
Oct 1, 2006

It's Lonely At The Top. But It's Comforting To Look Down Upon Everyone At The Bottom
Grimey Drawer

SourKraut posted:

I always back all my photos up to Google Photos. More straightforward than iCloud photo sharing and works across everything.

Theophany
Jul 22, 2014

SUCCHIAMI IL MIO CAZZO DA DIETRO, RANA RAGAZZO

2022 FIA Formula 1 WDC

Weedle posted:

it's practically the same as Tim Cook making GBS threads directly into their mouths.

It's exactly the same!! He is LITERALLY making GBS threads directly into my mouth.

Also, I'll be getting the 256GB iJesus X, so expect to get it in time for Easter.

Question Mark Mound
Jun 14, 2006

Tokyo Crystal Mew
Dancing Godzilla
The Notch is a worthless bloated disgrace that inserts itself where its not wanted and makes everyone's life worse.

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

SourKraut posted:

Google Photos, my dude.

The ability to recognize kids as they get older is pretty impressive too.

Over There
Jun 28, 2013

by Azathoth
Wooo got the 8+ last night from the T-Mobile website. It ran into a couple hiccups and I was sure I was gonna miss it but it worked! :dance:

Sock The Great
Oct 1, 2006

Grimey Drawer

Henrik Zetterberg posted:

Google Photos, my dude.

The ability to recognize kids as they get older is pretty impressive too.

This x1000. I've never been able to get a handle on iCloud Photo Sharing / Photostream. It's not clear at all which photos are on the device and which are not (at least to me); which is really important when you have a 16GB phone.

OMGMYSPLEEN
Jul 12, 2009

Rawwwwhiiiiide
College Slice
What I thought would take 5 minutes took an hour with Verizon at 3 am. No matter what I did, on both Verizon and Apples order sites, it wanted me to pay full price up front instead of payments to Verizon.

Ended up ordering it through a Verizon rep in the online chat on the site. They had no idea why it did that.

That’s my first world problems story thanks for listening!

ulvir
Jan 2, 2005

two dumb questions:

1) any recommended adblockers to look out for when the phone arrives?

2) I'm using LastPass as a password manager, how well does it work on iOS?

Khablam
Mar 29, 2012

ulvir posted:

They don't work well, for anything that's not a specifically supported app you'll need to copy-paste.

That said, don't use lastpass. It's a security nightmare. Use 1password or Keepass.

Pivo
Aug 20, 2004

Khablam posted:

They don't work well, for anything that's not a specifically supported app you'll need to copy-paste.

Which isn't the worst thing in the world at all. With multi-tasking you just hop in between the two apps, copy to clipboard with two taps. With TouchID (or FaceID I guess) with 1Password, using it on iOS is a lot faster than using it on my Mac or Windows machines (and having to type in my complex database password).

ulvir
Jan 2, 2005

Khablam posted:

which is pretty similar to android, then. thanks.

Khablam posted:

That said, don't use lastpass. It's a security nightmare. Use 1password or Keepass.

from what I've read in the past they're pretty quick to respond to threats, though? it was already somewhat of a hassle to migrate to one password manager, I can't imagine switching to another would be any simpler.

nate fisher
Mar 3, 2004

We've Got To Go Back

Xenomorph posted:

When I order from Apple, their site insists that they ship the phone to the billing address. That means when I'm at work, they ship it to my house..

I always order from the Apple Store app, and I am able to ship to a different address than my billing address. I even did it this morning when ordering an AppleTV 4K.

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

I’m picking up at the closest ~*Fruit Stand*~ and get there extra early so I can have people clap at me when I go pickup the latest stupid expensive purchase I made.

Thwomp
Apr 10, 2003

BA-DUHHH

Grimey Drawer

ulvir posted:

from what I've read in the past they're pretty quick to respond to threats, though? it was already somewhat of a hassle to migrate to one password manager, I can't imagine switching to another would be any simpler.

Using Lastpass is better than not using a password manager at all. It's fine so long as you're not a sperg about being "the most safe" rather than "safe".
(Not that it matters at all as Equifax will just leak all your identity information so who cares about passwords?)

That said, I find the Lastpass app works really well. You can add it to the share screen too so you can quickly get at a website's password.

buglord
Jul 31, 2010

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!

Buglord

Thwomp posted:

Using Lastpass is better than not using a password manager at all. It's fine so long as you're not a sperg about being "the most safe" rather than "safe".
(Not that it matters at all as Equifax will just leak all your identity information so who cares about passwords?)

That said, I find the Lastpass app works really well. You can add it to the share screen too so you can quickly get at a website's password.

On the other hand I started having identity issues as soon as I hopped on lastpass. They’re sorta at Equifax levels of security incompetence and all my account flags stopped going off when I switched to 1Password.

Khablam
Mar 29, 2012

ulvir posted:

Not really, if you use keepass or several other managers, there's tighter integration.
Keepass2android lets you use a keyboard anywhere that pastes your passwords.

ulvir posted:

They're threats that should never ever have happened. In software terms its like "any keyfobb opens any car" - there's no level of response time that's OK when that needs to be pointed out to them and was an active attack vector for that whole release (read: a year). You can read a lot about this, they're a garbage fire.

Also switching takes about 20mins, conservatively. They import/export between one another.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ouhei
Oct 23, 2008

:minnie: Cat Army :minnie:

ulvir posted:

two dumb questions:

1) any recommended adblockers to look out for when the phone arrives?

1) I use AdGuard and find it works pretty well, I use it on desktop too.

2) I dunno if you have other apple products, but I do and I use Safari/iCloud for all my password storage stuff and it's great because it just works across devices without installing anything. It even pulls up in app sign in stuff now which is pretty cool. Of course you're storing that stuff in iCloud but at some point you're storing that stuff in SOME cloud place and Apple does as good a job as anyone keeping people out.