Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Yeast
Dec 25, 2006

$1900 Grande Latte
Man I hope the SE gets a refresh next year. I think an SE with wireless charging and waterproofing would be pretty amazing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

wicka
Jun 28, 2007

[quote="“Khablam”" post="“476411310”"]
honestly nothing follows this trajectory
[/quote]

Everything*

astral
Apr 26, 2004

wicka posted:

I cannot for the life of me think of a single example of Apple replacing a well-liked feature, like Touch ID, with something new that sucked. But I can think of a lot of times that simple-minded folks panicked because they are scared by change. Apple is almost at the same place as Microsoft, who can’t change a single thing about Windows without the world ending.

Think harder!

wicka posted:

Apple Maps is still unusably bad, at least for turn-by-turn navigation.

wicka posted:

Its a lot better than it used to be, but it is still not good, and it is just a sad pit of despair compared to Google Maps or Waze. It’s literally dangerous to use for navigation.

Grassy Knowles
Apr 4, 2003

"The original Terminator was a gritty fucking AMAZING piece of sci-fi. Gritty fucking rock-hard MURDER!"

OldSenileGuy posted:

I hate to interrupt the slap fight, but I installed iOS 11 on my iPhone 7 on Tuesday and my battery life suuuucks now. Also half the time when I pick up the phone it’s red hot. Hopefully there’s an 11.1 or something update coming not long after the official release.

Also, after restoring my phone from backup, all my ringtones are gone and there doesn’t seem to be a spot for them in iTunes anymore either :(

The first bit typically happens the first few days of any major OS update for reindexing or some bullshit.

The second part is maybe solved here? https://discussions.apple.com/thread/8064597?start=0&tstart=0

wicka
Jun 28, 2007

[quote="“astral”" post="“476411405”"]
Think harder!
[/quote]

Apple didn’t have a maps app before Maps.

Khablam
Mar 29, 2012

wicka posted:

Everything*
Don't know what reaction you're trolling for here, 'faceID might be magic fisheye we dont know' was better

Kalman
Jan 17, 2010

[quote="“Pivo”" post="“476405809”"]
to be fair you can’t use the screen with gloves either
[/quote]

It’s not like, the most important use case, but I can use the screen with etip gloves, but can’t use the TouchID sensor.

This basically only matters when I am on a chairlift and want to check my email without freezing my loving fingers off. Then again I can just use a passcode so not a huge deal either way (kind of like the desk example.)

wicka
Jun 28, 2007

[quote="“Khablam”" post="“476411489”"]
Don’t know what reaction you’re trolling for here, ‘faceID might be magic fisheye we dont know’ was better
[/quote]

The exact same complaints were leveled at Touch ID, the feature whose disappearance today is apparently murdering people’s families.

carry on then
Jul 10, 2010

by VideoGames

(and can't post for 10 years!)

When you have people recommending loving Samsung in here you know Apple hosed up.

Khablam
Mar 29, 2012

wicka posted:

The exact same complaints were leveled at Touch ID, the feature whose disappearance today is apparently murdering people’s families.

Nah, touchID didn't remove anything, it was an addition, most people were pretty stoked it looked to work so well
its genuinely one of the few actual "apple waits and does it better" because it still smokes most/all other print scanners

faceID can be literally instant and it'd still be lame as you have to hold the phone at yourself to work it

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Elon Musk is the closest to a breathing Steve Jobs we have, and he has set his sights a bit higher than pocket computers.

Until we get someone who can see fringe technology and decide it needs to be packaged in a personal device and also has the bankroll to make it happen, we're gonna be stuck with iterative improvements on our phones.

~Coxy
Dec 9, 2003

R.I.P. Inter-OS Sass - b.2000AD d.2003AD

Palladium posted:

iPhone SE v2 with A11 chip + 6S body = shut up and take my money

I'm not sure you understand the point of the SE...

Edit: whoops, that's a lot of pages to drag up a throwaway comment.

~Coxy fucked around with this message at 03:49 on Sep 15, 2017

wicka
Jun 28, 2007

[quote="“Khablam”" post="“476411677”"]
Nah, touchID didn’t remove anything, it was an addition, most people were pretty stoked it looked to work so well
its genuinely one of the few actual “apple waits and does it better” because it still smokes most/all other print scanners

faceID can be literally instant and it’d still be lame as you have to hold the phone at yourself to work it
[/quote]

I didn’t say it removed anything, I said it faced the same criticisms, and it did. And everyone was wrong, and now they love it. No one will complain about Face ID after they use it, but no one will learn from their mistakes, and we’ll be doing this idiot poo poo again a year from now.

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

Palladium posted:

iPhone SE v2 with A11 chip + 6S body = shut up and take my money
The iPhone 8 is basically the A11 in the 6S body.

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

...the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt. —Bertrand Russell

wicka posted:

I didn’t say it removed anything, I said it faced the same criticisms, and it did. And everyone was wrong, and now they love it. No one will complain about Face ID after they use it, but no one will learn from their mistakes, and we’ll be doing this idiot poo poo again a year from now.

This is the dumbest goddamn argument I've seen all week. Shut up already.

Canned Sunshine
Nov 20, 2005

CAUTION: POST QUALITY UNDER CONSTRUCTION

Could Apple ever go ahead and just add a virtual home button on the X? Or is that what was rumored/patented to occur for some future revision?

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

SourKraut posted:

Could Apple ever go ahead and just add a virtual home button on the X? Or is that what was rumored/patented to occur for some future revision?

You can do this now via accessibility options. I wonder if that option will still be a choice on the X.

Minidust
Nov 4, 2009

Keep bustin'

Kalman posted:

It’s not like, the most important use case, but I can use the screen with etip gloves, but can’t use the TouchID sensor.

This basically only matters when I am on a chairlift and want to check my email without freezing my loving fingers off. Then again I can just use a passcode so not a huge deal either way (kind of like the desk example.)
TouchID rules because I can sperg out and keep my phone in a ziploc bag when I'm on the beach and it still works through the bag (and it's an SE so that's the older sensor)

fourwood
Sep 9, 2001

Damn I'll bring them to their knees.
Is there any compelling reason to get the Apple TV 4K over the regular/base model if I don't have a 4K+HDR TV (or any plans of getting one any time soon)? Is it sufficiently faster/does it have a lot more RAM/any other reason that might make it worth springing for the better model at 1080p (if I don't have an Apple TV already)?

Matt Zerella
Oct 7, 2002

Norris'es are back baby. It's good again. Awoouu (fox Howl)

fourwood posted:

Is there any compelling reason to get the Apple TV 4K over the regular/base model if I don't have a 4K+HDR TV (or any plans of getting one any time soon)? Is it sufficiently faster/does it have a lot more RAM/any other reason that might make it worth springing for the better model at 1080p (if I don't have an Apple TV already)?

If you have a good surround system, the audio support is wayyyyyyy improved. I’d get the 4K and then you’re good for a long time.

Bill Barber
Aug 26, 2015

Hot Rope Guy

fourwood posted:

The 4k is pretty futureproof as far as settop streaming devices go.

prom candy
Dec 16, 2005

Only I may dance
How long does it usually take for phones to be readily available after launch if I don't preorder? Like when will I be able to just walk into an Apple Store and walk out with an 8/8+?

WithoutTheFezOn
Aug 28, 2005
Oh no
Last year for base model 7's it was about 6 weeks in the Midwest. October 19, to be specific.

prom candy
Dec 16, 2005

Only I may dance
Cool, I can wait that long, thanks!

Skeezy
Jul 3, 2007

prom candy posted:

How long does it usually take for phones to be readily available after launch if I don't preorder? Like when will I be able to just walk into an Apple Store and walk out with an 8/8+?

I have a feeling it shouldn’t be as long as the 7/7+ was because of the X being the unicorn this time.

EconOutlines
Jul 3, 2004

Did they make changes to how WiFi turns on/off with known networks with iOS 11 GM? I'm used to turning it off when I leave the apartment, on when I get to work, off leaving work, on at home.

However, today I realized it turned itself back on multiple times after turning it off in the CP. Nothing in Settings to indicate that.

Battery life seems a bit less than before but I'll see what it's like after a week or so of use.

Housh
Jul 9, 2001

My sisters are identical twins. How does FaceID deal with that?

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe

Housh posted:

No way to know until November!

prom candy
Dec 16, 2005

Only I may dance

Housh posted:

They can unlock each other's phones.

enojy
Sep 11, 2001

bass rattle
stars out
the sky

Housh posted:

One of them will have to do duckface for their FaceID setup to ensure proper security between the two.

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

prom candy posted:

They can unlock each other's phones.

Didn’t they basically say this during the presentation?

OldSenileGuy
Mar 13, 2001

Grassy Knowles posted:

The first bit typically happens the first few days of any major OS update for reindexing or some bullshit.

The second part is maybe solved here? https://discussions.apple.com/thread/8064597?start=0&tstart=0

I hope you’re right on the first part. And thanks for the link, I was able to get my ringtones back!

And now, for my next annoyance, the phone needs to stop recommending that I turn on Driving Mode when I’m on the drat subway. IM NOT DRIVING APPLE

(I’m sure there’s a way to turn this off I just haven’t bothered to look for it yet)

Grassy Knowles
Apr 4, 2003

"The original Terminator was a gritty fucking AMAZING piece of sci-fi. Gritty fucking rock-hard MURDER!"

OldSenileGuy posted:

I hope you’re right on the first part. And thanks for the link, I was able to get my ringtones back!

And now, for my next annoyance, the phone needs to stop recommending that I turn on Driving Mode when I’m on the drat subway. IM NOT DRIVING APPLE

(I’m sure there’s a way to turn this off I just haven’t bothered to look for it yet)

The best I've found is that in the Do Not Disturb settings there's a dropdown for "Do not disturb while driving" labeled Activate with the choices "Automatically" "When Connected to Car Bluetooth" and "Manually." Manually does not stop that notification, but I haven't gotten it using the Bluetooth option yet.

Grassy Knowles fucked around with this message at 05:54 on Sep 15, 2017

~Coxy
Dec 9, 2003

R.I.P. Inter-OS Sass - b.2000AD d.2003AD

EconOutlines posted:

Did they make changes to how WiFi turns on/off with known networks with iOS 11 GM? I'm used to turning it off when I leave the apartment, on when I get to work, off leaving work, on at home.

However, today I realized it turned itself back on multiple times after turning it off in the CP. Nothing in Settings to indicate that.

Battery life seems a bit less than before but I'll see what it's like after a week or so of use.

"Turning WiFi off" in IOS11 is meant to disassociate you from the network, but leave Wifi itself on.

BGrifter
Mar 16, 2007

Winner of Something Awful PS5 thread's Posting Excellence Award June 2022

Congratulations!
So um... I'm feeling pretty good about going with the iPhone 8 right about now. :stare:

https://www.macrumors.com/2017/09/14/iphone-x-notch/

That's hideous. Everything about the notch looks janky and awful.

ArgumentatumE.C.T.
Nov 5, 2016

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

BGrifter posted:

So um... I'm feeling pretty good about going with the iPhone 8 right about now. :stare:

wow

rage-saq
Mar 21, 2001

Thats so ninja...

BGrifter posted:

This is a little concerning, some of that stuff looks pretty bad but some of it looks just fine.

Fortunately, because there is a screen there, they can change the behavior in software and make the notch 'disappear' in use by making it a solid black bar across the notch when you put it in landscape, and keep the notch in portrait mode where they act as designated indicator space for the the carrier/clock/battery area.
Hell, you could even have the notch area serve as a dedicated quick scroll bar when used in landscape mode, where its black (stealth notch mode) and when you drag your finger up/down it, it scrolls super fast. That would be neat.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

BGrifter posted:

gently caress all that.

BGrifter
Mar 16, 2007

Winner of Something Awful PS5 thread's Posting Excellence Award June 2022

Congratulations!
I was worried the iPhone X would outshine the 8 and I'd feel like I was getting "the second best iPhone" ever made. After seeing it the X feels like both the worse phone and the more expensive phone. It's the single port MacBook all over again.

I get what they were striving for, but it needs to go back in the oven for year or two.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kruxy
May 19, 2004

Just a steel town girl on
a Saturday night, looking
for the fight of her life

Wow, that was super smooth. AUP would use again. A++++