Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Fil5000
Jun 23, 2003

HOLD ON GUYS I'M POSTING ABOUT INTERNET ROBOTS

Davros1 posted:

Found this interesting. Now as you may or may not know, the Terry Nation sci-fi series "Blake's 7" replaced a cop show set in present day (1970s):

https://twitter.com/MakingBlakes7/status/907667629875265536

BBC gave a sci-fi show 50 pounds for sfx. 50!

You're making it sound worse than it is! That's £50 in 1978 money so it was a whopping £268 in current day money!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Stabbatical
Sep 15, 2011

I'd love for echoplex to estimate how much you could actually do with £268 in today's Who.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

I refuse to believe Blake's 7 had a sfx budget that high, they wouldn't have known what to do with all that money.

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

SiKboy posted:

Its not, its "I'll always remember when The Doctor was me". Its shown as, in a real sense, the death of the previous doctor ("I don't want to go"), not just a new face and wardrobe. Capaldi knew for a fact that HE was the doctor, he was just a) unsure exactly what type of doctor he was going to be and b) insecure about Clara preferring the previous version. I'd accept that in some cases the personalities of the old and new doctors are slightly blended for a short time, in universe because the doctor almost always has a traumatic regeneration, out of universe because it takes them a while to find the new "voice" for the character, but it is an immediate change. Eccleston, Tennant, Smith and Capaldi were all the doctor, but they were all different doctors in pretty much every way. Same memories, different personalities, viewpoints, likes and dislikes as well as the obvious physical differences. This isnt so much different actors playing the same character as it is different actors playing different characters who happen to share the same life and experiences.

As an aside, I dont know why I'm referring to them by actor rather than number, but I am and I'm not going back and changing it.

Ten says something like "I die and then some new person goes sauntering off with all my memories," which is how I've always thought of it.

echoplex
Mar 5, 2008

Stainless Style

Stabbatical posted:

I'd love for echoplex to estimate how much you could actually do with £268 in today's Who.

Looking at some old invoices...

2 x sheets of printed / laser cut emojis

4 x Clara portraits printed on plaster

1.15 days of Echoplex labour

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
So what you're saying is, a full season of Doctor Who!

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.
There is no sign of land.
You are coming down with me, hand in unlovable hand.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

:smith:

Grimey Drawer
Tonight's Episode, the Doctor must deal with invisible vandals who've pasted stickers all over the TARDIS.

Next Week: More invisible vandals putting up unauthorized street art.

Fil5000
Jun 23, 2003

The two part finale features the Doctor battling four cartons of Benson and Hedges and a bottle of Laphroaig.

Edward Mass
Sep 14, 2011

𝅘𝅥𝅮 I wanna go home with the armadillo
Good country music from Amarillo and Abilene
Friendliest people and the prettiest women you've ever seen
𝅘𝅥𝅮

Fil5000 posted:

The two part finale features the Doctor battling four cartons of Benson and Hedges and a bottle of Laphroaig.

But enough about Tom Baker's time on the show.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Oh look, it's a picture of Terry Nation 15 minutes before his script is due!

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Jerusalem posted:

And, some times, 30 minutes after!

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!
I'm aggressively wrong about everything!

Davros1 posted:

Found this interesting. Now as you may or may not know, the Terry Nation sci-fi series "Blake's 7" replaced a cop show set in present day (1970s):

https://twitter.com/MakingBlakes7/status/907667629875265536

BBC gave a sci-fi show 50 pounds for sfx. 50!

I know the same thing was generally true of the first season of Red Dwarf. It went into pre-pro pretending to be the second season of a drama (I think) called Good Times, which was unpopular and terrible but used more expensive cameras that inflated its budget to the point they could fund a low-budget sci-fi show's set and minimal effects.

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

Jerusalem posted:

The left bin is his discarded sci fi ideas and the right bin is filled with Dalek snippets that you can paste into the former.

Fil5000
Jun 23, 2003

Bicyclops posted:

The left bin is his discarded sci fi ideas and the right bin is filled with Dalek snippets that you can paste into the former.

£50 per snippet (or a some snout, he's not fussy)

Vinylshadow
Mar 20, 2017

Bicyclops posted:

I'm 27% sure one of those bins is in fact an Auton though

Which is probably why it's gone green after having digested those ideas

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

A bracing glass of carrot juice!
The recycling bin is definitely full of dalek stuff

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

MrL_JaKiri posted:

The recycling bin is definitely full of dalek stuff

Just the one script in there though.

Also just the one bin :tinfoil:

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."

:siren: OH poo poo :siren:

David Bradley as the 1st Doctor at Big Finish!

Box of Bunnies
Apr 3, 2012

by Pragmatica
I continue to be kinda iffy about full on recasting but

quote:

Two of the four stories are historical, focusing on tales from Earth’s history pre-1963. Back in its first few years, Doctor Who was intended to be an educational programme using time travel as a means to explore scientific ideas and famous moments in history, while still captivating the minds and imaginations of generations to come.

I really can't complain when it's getting me new historicals

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

But how does it taste? Yummy!
Dinosaur Gum
Honestly my bigger complaint is them pulling in the Adventure in Space and Time actors for Ian and Susan, given that the original cast is not only still alive, but frequent BF collaborators. I'm all for recasting in the event of an actor's death or refusal to participate, but that feels a bit off to me

Edit: is the Big Finish site getting hammered due to this? Or am I just having connection problems on my end? It's taking minutes for each page to load.

jivjov fucked around with this message at 12:25 on Sep 15, 2017

Box of Bunnies
Apr 3, 2012

by Pragmatica
I think that the way they're doing it is best. If they're going to recast the Doctor for a new range just going all in and using the entire AAiSaT cast feels best. Hearing Bradley alongside Ford and Russel would just be an extra layer of "wait, this is wrong..." to me.

Of course, I hope that the original actors continue to record EAs/Chronicles as long as they're willing/able. But for this range this approach feels right.

docbeard
Jul 19, 2011

Davis Bradley is one hell of an actor and necromancy isn't a thing so I'm completely fine with the recasting of someone who died 40 years ago.

Box of Bunnies
Apr 3, 2012

by Pragmatica
Somehow completely overlooked that the article says that we're getting another Big Finish Master in this range, James Dreyfus as the first Master. Only know him from Gimme, Gimme, Gimme so I guess we'll see how that goes?

docbeard posted:

Davis Bradley is one hell of an actor and necromancy isn't a thing so I'm completely fine with the recasting of someone who died 40 years ago.

The BBC already recast him 50 odd years ago. Some guy called Troughton? I dunno, seems like a bit of a clown.

Astroman
Apr 8, 2001

Wow, full cast audios of First Doctor adventures with Barbara AND the First Master?

Very excited about this. :dance:

Fil5000
Jun 23, 2003

Astroman posted:

Wow, full cast audios of First Doctor adventures with Barbara AND the First Master?

Very excited about this. :dance:

Not sure on the casting of the Master to be honest.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Yeah, David Bradley is cool but it does feel a bit weird having the other actors in there when William Russell and Carole Ann Ford are both still around and, as noted, frequent Big Finish collaborators. Still, definitely gonna give this a shot.

Box of Bunnies posted:

Only know him from Gimme, Gimme, Gimme

Wait, Gimme, Gimme, Gimme was an actual show and not some fever dream I had back at the turn of the century? No, I refuse to believe that.

docbeard
Jul 19, 2011

Jerusalem posted:

Yeah, David Bradley is cool but it does feel a bit weird having the other actors in there when William Russell and Carole Ann Ford are both still around and, as noted, frequent Big Finish collaborators. Still, definitely gonna give this a shot.

Yeah, that does feel odd, and I'd like to think it was down to unavailability or scheduling conflicts rather than them just being overlooked.

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

It's pretty incredible that Carole Ann Ford has been getting the short shrift on Susan for like fifty four years.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

But how does it taste? Yummy!
Dinosaur Gum
I really hope she shows up in the Christmas special in some capacity

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

You've got to admit, you are kind of implausible

Box of Bunnies posted:

Somehow completely overlooked that the article says that we're getting another Big Finish Master in this range, James Dreyfus as the first Master. Only know him from Gimme, Gimme, Gimme so I guess we'll see how that goes?

That's him on the cover and I did not recognize him at all.

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

jivjov posted:

I really hope she shows up in the Christmas special in some capacity

e: whoops, accidentally posted before I'd finished typing!

It's going to be the First Doctor saying "I'm finally back!" and her just responding by screaming.

Fil5000
Jun 23, 2003

Davros1 posted:

Holy poo poo, he looks like Hugh Bonneville there or something.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."

Davros1 posted:

Wow, me neither. I see they've got him in the same sort of coat as Simm had in The Doctor Falls. I hope he's not actually the first Master, just an earlier Master.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Fil5000 posted:

Or Liam Cunningham.

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

You've got to admit, you are kind of implausible

It's not his only BF either. He's in the upcoming Tales from New Earth (As "The Most Exalted High Persian", though now I wonder ...) and this:

https://twitter.com/DreyfusJames/status/875459706235621376

Fil5000
Jun 23, 2003

That looks much more like how I expected him to look. I think I've just never seen him with a neutral facial expression before.

TinTower
Apr 21, 2010

You don't have to 8e a good person to 8e a hero.
The most important question is actually how Jemma Powell introduces herself when she's on holiday in France.

echoplex
Mar 5, 2008

Stainless Style

Fil5000 posted:

I did a film with him a couple of years ago and I couldn't work out who he was for at least 2 weeks, it was driving me insane.

Astroman
Apr 8, 2001

Jerusalem posted:

Well I'm sure they'll still use them for other audios. As was said, it might be a bit weird to throw just Bradley and the person playing Barbara in with Russell and Ford. Probably better to do all or nothing.

Plus, while Carole Ann Ford is reasonably believable as Susan, 80% of the time Russell's much older voice takes me out of it. Though he can sometimes channel his younger self. He does a killer Hartnell though.

What I more worry about, and I say this as someone who has said ITT since Adventure in Space and Time that BF should do this, is how well they can really play the characters. Like sure, you can play William Russell playing Ian, but can you play Ian? I'm not worried about Bradley, because he's the bomb, but I haven't seen the others in enough to know if they can really channel the characters as well as the original actors. Despite what I said about the age of Russell's voice above, when he's playing Ian, especially in stuff like the Rocketmen episodes, he's really playing Ian and advancing the character.

Still though, it's all good. If you'd told me 15 years ago we'd be getting new stories with the first 3 Doctors in 2017 that sound so close to the old ones with Bradley/Purves, Frazier, and Treloar, I'd have never believed you. This is awesome. :dance:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pesky Splinter
Feb 16, 2011

A worried pug.

I don't know what to make of this, other than cautious optimism. :ohdear:

Astroman posted:

Still though, it's all good. If you'd told me 15 years ago we'd be getting new stories with the first 3 Doctors in 2017 that sound so close to the old ones with Bradley/Purves, Frazier, and Treloar, I'd have never believed you. This is awesome. :dance:

If you think about it, we've never really had so much Doctor Who, and is kind of surreal to think that they're still producing brand new content, and stories (with the actual actors) fifty years later.
Like, we've seen the beginning and ending of some of their stories, but they're still slotting in new ones, expanding and developing these character and concepts in neat and interesting ways. It loving fantastic. :unsmith:

• Locked thread