Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness

Heartcatch posted:

Being able to destroy the containers/door is pretty important to me. That's one thing Divinity: Original Sin did that I appreciated a lot compared to, say.. Star Ocean IV.
oh man derailing my own derail apparently D:OS2 comes out today?!

Like I backed the kickstarter ages ago and always vaguely skimmed the updates, didn't play the beta to save it for release, and then I got one that was just like "Release Day!"

gonna wait a few weeks for patches and all that but still, nice.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
people say the minigames in ap suck with kb+m but i thought they were way easier that way. lockpicking is really drat fiddly on a controller

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!
what kind of controller are you using? i find that it's really precise and responsive on a 360 pad, but on a ds4, it's a little fiddly.

dukerson
Dec 28, 2012

Getsuya posted:

Actually after hearing folks talk about it I think I should play Wild Arms 3. I need to sit down and play through all my Japanese PS2 games anyway.

It's worth playing, IMO. I think it would be better if the final two chapters were combined into one, but the graphical style aged pretty well and the gameplay felt really fresh.

Getsuya
Oct 2, 2013

dukerson posted:

It's worth playing, IMO. I think it would be better if the final two chapters were combined into one, but the graphical style aged pretty well and the gameplay felt really fresh.

Yeah I started it and got a few hours in but then got distracted. It's about time I went back and finished up a bunch of the RPGs I never have. Embarrassingly, I've never even finished the first Popolocrois game (or any of them actually) despite having it for an avatar and constantly singing it's praises.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"
Okay, what do I need to know to abuse the poo poo out of The Secret Garden in Wild Arms 3? Because this seems like something I can presumably snap clean over my knee somehow.

Getsuya
Oct 2, 2013
Oh hey Sega just announced a new Popolocrois game, yay!
But it's a mobile game! Boo!
But it's not a lovely cash-in gacha game. They actually appear to be sort of trying to make a real next Popolocrois. Maybe yay?
I guess people just really hated the next generation of Popolocrois characters because after the sequels on PS2 everything else has been a mid-quel. It's getting to be like Kingdom Hearts.

OneDeadman
Oct 16, 2010

[SUPERBIA]

Neddy Seagoon posted:

Okay, what do I need to know to abuse the poo poo out of The Secret Garden in Wild Arms 3? Because this seems like something I can presumably snap clean over my knee somehow.

Going to sleep at a inn is the fastest way to grow poo poo. Baskar Villiage has the best place to do so. Also, breed your harvests to increase the chance of getting stuff when it grows.

Wendell
May 11, 2003

I played the Popolocrois PSP game. Utter poo poo.

Getsuya
Oct 2, 2013

Wendell posted:

I played the Popolocrois PSP game. Utter poo poo.

It is. Sadly none of the Popolocroises available in English can hold a candle to the first two on PS1, which have been declared untranslatable.

Morpheus
Apr 18, 2008

My favourite little monsters
So played the Octopath demo on the Switch...pretty neat. Combat system is interesting without requiring your full attention is every battle, art style is pretty neat too, though it sometimes washes details out due to the lighting. Plus I had a lot of fun beating the poo poo out of everyone in the village as the warrior. I'll be looking for it when it comes out.

Tired Moritz
Mar 25, 2012

wish Lowtax would get tired of YOUR POSTS

(n o i c e)
I dont even play a switch but I appreciate any game that learned from Radiata Stories

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

Neddy Seagoon posted:

everything you need to know is written in excruciating detail right here: https://www.gamefaqs.com/ps2/478787-wild-arms-3/faqs/23067

tl;dr? here's how it works.

1) when you plant a consumable item, it will continuously generate more copies of itself, for free, forever. this will keep happening until you replace what you planted. :420: the secret garden :420: will harvest them automatically, and can store up to 99 of each type of item at once.

2) plants generate copies after a certain amount of "time." you get 20 units of time for sleeping. plants take anywhere from 25 to 100 units of time to grow and be auto-harvested. the thing i linked has the specifics, but the rule of thumb is, the better an item is, the longer it takes to grow.

3) every item has a base success rate of being harvested after you meet its time quota. it's just a whole number percentage roll against 100. regular heal berries start at a 70% harvest chance. tiny flowers start at 5%. you can use the breeding command to sacrifice an item of that type to permanently increase the success rate by 1%, to a maximum of 100%.

3a) obviously if you don't have 8 of an item to plant at once, it's better to grow duplicates to fill all eight slots first before you start increasing their success rate through breeding.

4) sample model if you planted eight full carrots (growth cycle is 100 time units) at their base 20% success rate, and slept in baskar village 50 times (+100 time units), because the game automatically harvests, you can expect to have [(8 <number of plants> * 10 <number of cycles 1000time/100cycle>) * .20 <20% success rate>] ≈ 16 full carrots waiting for you when you visit the secret garden again.

5) you can get a couple rewards for raising success rates to 100%. the first thing you max out gives you a skill item that doubles the effectiveness of healing items. if you max out everything, you get a key item related to new game+.

6) full carrots and tiny flowers lmao

Fur20 fucked around with this message at 21:13 on Sep 15, 2017

dukerson
Dec 28, 2012

The White Dragon posted:

everything you need to know is written in excruciating detail right here: https://www.gamefaqs.com/ps2/478787-wild-arms-3/faqs/23067

tl;dr? here's how it works.

also obvious caveat: you really don't have to do this for the crazy stuff (i didn't, and breezed through the endgame just fine).

that being said, i recommend trying to max heal berries asap because you get a really good accessory for the first item you max.

Stexils
Jun 5, 2008

has there been any kind of release date or plans announced for cold steel 2 pc?

lets hang out
Jan 10, 2015

it's gonna be next year

Getsuya
Oct 2, 2013
I don't know how it is in English but the writing in Wild Arms 3 is really poetic in Japanese. Everything is 'law of the wasteland' this and 'trails to the open sky' that. It's great. I love how seriously it takes its own setting. I don't often care about reading all the books in every RPG I play, but the lore in WA3 already has me hooked.

Also, I may be misremembering, but wasn't the English opening a vocal one? Does that mean this is the one bizarre case in which the Japanese version is the instrumental and the English version is vocal? That's some kind of crazy.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Getsuya posted:

I don't know how it is in English but the writing in Wild Arms 3 is really poetic in Japanese. Everything is 'law of the wasteland' this and 'trails to the open sky' that. It's great. I love how seriously it takes its own setting. I don't often care about reading all the books in every RPG I play, but the lore in WA3 already has me hooked.

Also, I may be misremembering, but wasn't the English opening a vocal one? Does that mean this is the one bizarre case in which the Japanese version is the instrumental and the English version is vocal? That's some kind of crazy.
Nah, there's both an instrumental and a vocal version of the opening in both versions of the game.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dHNo2yXLZ_k

Also yeah, the wild arms writer is great. He wrote a magical girl anime and the random lore books and setting descriptions on the website are all filled with goofy poo poo about how the european union is in crippling debt and had to sell magical swords to japan, or long theses on the tower of babel.

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!

Getsuya posted:

apparently the translation changes how a lot of dialog reads but i wanna say it maintains that to a degree, at the very least it's a much better translation than wild arms 2 and maintains the personality in the cast

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

The Colonel posted:

apparently the translation changes how a lot of dialog reads but i wanna say it maintains that to a degree, at the very least it's a much better translation than wild arms 2 and maintains the personality in the cast

The translation takes flight on wings of freedom across the wasteland.

Getsuya
Oct 2, 2013
Jesus. I think I remember why I quit playing the Japanese version. Anytime the text starts going automatically, which it does during most important scenes, it goes way too fast. Even with easy Japanese I still take long enough to parse it that I can't just read multiple sentences in a single glance. And it must be based on the amount of text, cuz when there's only one sentence or so it's up there for like a split second. I can't read this poo poo which is fairly problematic in a game whose story I'm trying to enjoy.

GulagDolls
Jun 4, 2011

the amount of times wings/birds/flying is brought up is...weird. when virginia's response to a tense situation is to speak about bird metaphor for the 11th time it comes across as really corny. this party needs to replace clive/jet with liz/ard

im replaying it now. everyone keeps saying janus is a very bad man but I don't think I've really seen him do anything outrageous yet

Kokoro Wish
Jul 23, 2007

Post? What post? Oh wow.
I had nothing to do with THAT.
Just started Cold Steel 1 and this is great. I like the characters for the most part, even if the school setting is kind of irksome. I love the lush teacher and I am totally hanging out with that whenever I can. Just up to the second field trip, so let's see how this goes from here.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Kokoro Wish posted:

Just started Cold Steel 1 and this is great. I like the characters for the most part, even if the school setting is kind of irksome. I love the lush teacher and I am totally hanging out with that whenever I can. Just up to the second field trip, so let's see how this goes from here.

Just remember to talk to everyone at Thors Academy and in Trista whenever the day period changes, because they're all doing their own things throughout the year :allears:.

And there's always a hidden sidequest in the evening on Free Days.

Kokoro Wish
Jul 23, 2007

Post? What post? Oh wow.
Yeah, I've seen two of those so far, so I guess I'm on par atm. Does this game have a New Game + system at all? Symphonia allowed you to start over with bonuses and the like.

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
yeah, there are scenes you can only see in new game+ and they give you more bonding points

dioxazine
Oct 14, 2004

The important thing to remember is that no matter how hard Jusis tries, he'll never be Olivier. :allears:

Eponymous
Feb 4, 2008

Maybe I just want to be happy, huh?! Maybe I want my life to not be a trainwreck for five GOD DAMN minutes?!
I don't really know anything about the series, but I keep seeing good things about Ys VIII. Are there already impressions in the thread somewhere, or is it too soon?

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

The Colonel posted:

yeah, there are scenes you can only see in new game+ and they give you more bonding points

I wouldn't try leaping right into it after beating the game though. Cold Steel is a looooong game.

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!

Eponymous posted:

I don't really know anything about the series, but I keep seeing good things about Ys VIII. Are there already impressions in the thread somewhere, or is it too soon?

you could ask in the falcom thread since that's a place where fans of the series generally post, i know there are a few people who've been playing it

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Oh no oh god it's all true!

Getsuya posted:

wa3 has lots of different openings

Kokoro Wish
Jul 23, 2007

Post? What post? Oh wow.
Oh hey, it's Undertale's two year anniversary already? I wonder if that fan-game I was looking at has released y-

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e2NFMZn-R9k

Taear
Nov 26, 2004

Ask me about the shitty opinions I have about Paradox games!
In might and magic they replaced locked chests altogether with every single chest having a trap on it. So no matter what you can open it, but you'll take shedloads of damage unless you can disarm the trap.
And at least it means your inventory isn't constantly packed with tools to open doors and stuff with. I'm not sure this is specifically better because of course it still means you're forced to take someone who can disarm traps but it felt like it made a tiny bit more sense to me.
It beats the four skills Wasteland 2 has for opening stuff up, at least.

Also that trailer for Xenoblade has made me super excited for the game. My favourite part of the first game was the extremely interesting setting and exploring that setting. In the second one it didn't have the same "feel" because of that. But it did have some absolutely loving enormous monsters in it which I loved. So focusing this game around those gigantic monsters is seriously a dream come true for me.
I hope it's a bit less Japanese than the most recent game as well. 13 year olds that are genuises and love wearing very few clothes is just a bit much.

Wrestlepig
Feb 25, 2011

my mum says im cool

Toilet Rascal

Kokoro Wish posted:

Oh hey, it's Undertale's two year anniversary already? I wonder if that fan-game I was looking at has released y-

I'd rather play Undertale 2:Overtale

Erg
Oct 31, 2010

Eponymous posted:

the gameplay is great and polished, the localization job is bad

HGH
Dec 20, 2011
I was mentioning NISA's gently caress ups even before release, and saw they managed to even typo the title (Lacrismosa). What else did they ruin?

Erg
Oct 31, 2010

HGH posted:

I was mentioning NISA's gently caress ups even before release, and saw they managed to even typo the title (Lacrismosa). What else did they ruin?

after 3 hours of ys 8, game of the month im sad to say the tl for the pre demo section of the game is just as bad. I forgot to screenshot but I've had an instance of a character introducing herself with "My name is Alison. You can just call me Alison"

it's serviceable in that you'll get the plot but characters don't really have distinct voices and feel like they aren't even consistent during a conversation. also any time the game tries to go with a character expressing complex thoughts the tl doesn't hold together. it feels like different people were translating per line because thoughts just don't follow

also the term for magic is fuckin' Energy and im gonna be mad when i find out the jpn script uses the english word Energy

Erg
Oct 31, 2010

im going to play more ys now though so it's not game ruining, just disappointing considering this was supposed to be the ys where falcom tried to do a story

Ventana
Mar 28, 2010

*Yosh intensifies*

Kokoro Wish posted:

I loved Undertale, but idk if I really want fangames or sequels out of it

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.

Erg posted:

after 3 hours of ys 8, game of the month im sad to say the tl for the pre demo section of the game is just as bad. I forgot to screenshot but I've had an instance of a character introducing herself with "My name is Alison. You can just call me Alison"

it's serviceable in that you'll get the plot but characters don't really have distinct voices and feel like they aren't even consistent during a conversation. also any time the game tries to go with a character expressing complex thoughts the tl doesn't hold together. it feels like different people were translating per line because thoughts just don't follow

also the term for magic is fuckin' Energy and im gonna be mad when i find out the jpn script uses the english word Energy

Yeah, that was what I took away from the demo. Nobody has a distinct voice or personality and it's not even funny bad, just..bleh. Also for some reason the system text ""Empty Bottle" left over.." bugs the poo poo out of me. The game's really fun but HOO BOY NISA really must have been the lowest bidder.