Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Cerepol
Dec 2, 2011

Truly the most annoying thing about this thread, is the reversal into glorifying the human that is Zack Snyder instead of just discussing his work. Not that y'all don't do that, occasionally someone dips into how manly he is as if that is relevant or anything.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Serf
May 5, 2011

His Dawn of the Dead remake was pretty fun, and Watchmen was probably about as good an adaptation as you could realistically expect. None of his other stuff has really grabbed me, aside from BvS which is dismal. The only movies that I think were roughly as unpleasant to see as that are Green Lantern and Wolverine Origins.

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

McCloud posted:

Snyder has made it a point to strip the paint of the superhero fantasy and reveal how ugly that reality could be, and I think that's the biggest reason many fans dislike his movies. They don't get escapism, they get a dose of superhero realism, and they hate it. They'd rather see a world of glib sarcastic superheroes that know how to save the day than one that is grounded in reality portraying a hopeful optimist hero fighting against a cynical world (and winning)

Stripping the paint off but still giving it the proper big budget treatment (there's plenty of smaller indie films that deconstruct the genre) would have been a huge step in 'maturing' superhero movies and making them accessible to wider film audiences, it's a natural progression in popular film genres that we saw with Westerns and cop movies and all the rest. But a big problem here is that Batman and Superman carry an extraordinary amount of cultural baggage so exposing the ugly reality behind those specific superhero fantasies was always going to piss off a large number of people.

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

You've got to admit, you are kind of implausible

well why not posted:

The Watchmen adaptation is smart about updating the puply references to be cinematic references IMO. Night Owl looking like a Schumacher Batman and fighting like Jason Bourne is a joke lost on a lot of people.

NIte Owl should've looked like the Adam West Batman.

well why not
Feb 10, 2009

That'd make sense more if it was made in the 60's or 70's.

10 Beers
May 21, 2005

Shit! I didn't bring a knife.

I think we can all agree that besides Dr. Manhattan, the most superpowered person in Watchmen is Silk Specter. How else she could fight and move so well in in those stiletto heels?

McCloud
Oct 27, 2005

Snowglobe of Doom posted:

Stripping the paint off but still giving it the proper big budget treatment (there's plenty of smaller indie films that deconstruct the genre) would have been a huge step in 'maturing' superhero movies and making them accessible to wider film audiences, it's a natural progression in popular film genres that we saw with Westerns and cop movies and all the rest. But a big problem here is that Batman and Superman carry an extraordinary amount of cultural baggage so exposing the ugly reality behind those specific superhero fantasies was always going to piss off a large number of people.

What kinda gets me though is that the movie wasn't disrespectful of the characters. On the contrary, you can tell that Zack has a great deal of love for the characters, especially Superman, who goes from exiled recluse to unwilling hero to messiah. Yeah, the superhero fantasy of having big knockdown brawls in heavily populated metropolitan cities is dumb, but Supermans love for us and his optimism still shines through, and because it's not mired in a consequence free fantasyworld like the Avengers, that optimism shines stronger as a contrast. You'd think that would be appreciated more.

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

McCloud posted:

What kinda gets me though is that the movie wasn't disrespectful of the characters. On the contrary, you can tell that Zack has a great deal of love for the characters, especially Superman, who goes from exiled recluse to unwilling hero to messiah. Yeah, the superhero fantasy of having big knockdown brawls in heavily populated metropolitan cities is dumb, but Supermans love for us and his optimism still shines through, and because it's not mired in a consequence free fantasyworld like the Avengers, that optimism shines stronger as a contrast. You'd think that would be appreciated more.

The fact that the "Not my Superman" crowd think of him as "my Superman" is a big indicator that they had a sense of ownership over the character and were always going to measure the film against their personal pre-conceived notions. Any deviation from their idea of what the character must be like (even if he figured himself out and grew into the classic ideal version of Superman by the end of the film) was going to be seen as a betrayal.

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

What a horrible thread to have a post.

Snowglobe of Doom posted:

The fact that the "Not my Superman" crowd think of him as "my Superman" is a big indicator that they had a sense of ownership over the character and were always going to measure the film against their personal pre-conceived notions. Any deviation from their idea of what the character must be like (even if he figured himself out and grew into the classic ideal version of Superman by the end of the film) was going to be seen as a betrayal.

Superman is the closest thing we have to a bona-fide modern folk hero who stands for some implacable element of American character. Meddle with him at your own peril. (this is not a defense of the Not My Superman types, simply a recognition of the unique relationship Superman has with the public)

Anyway Snyder's Big Artistic Film was Sucker Punch, a movie that pretends to do one thing while actually (clumsily) doing another.

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

Electromax posted:

I was thinking about all the comic book actors who fake an American accent:
- superman
- dr. strange
- spiderman x2
- batman (TDK)
- young beast
- quicksilver (avengers)
- nebula
- doc ock
- daredevil
- iron fist
...probably some others. They can usually swing it well (I had no idea about e.g. Tom Holland until after I saw the movie) and I omitted a ton of international actors who get to use an accent of some kind.

The actors for Supe, Batman, Beast, Doc Ock, and Nebula sound exactly American.

Daredevil slips up sometimes. Dunno about Iron Fist.

Strange is a poo poo show. Just a weird offputting lisp thing happening, that is obvi very different from his natural speaking voice.

e: thinking of this quote by Christian Bale on accents

quote:

You know what the mistake is people make? Imitating other films instead of imitating other people. Because, and especially in Americans doing English accents why shouldn't they be able to do them impeccably, it's because largely you get a sort of middle to upper class accent that is represented in film and in television that makes it way across the atlantic and then all Americans think all English speak that way which is absolute bollocks, so it would be actually go to the place and talk to the people and it's the same way going the other way.

I have a really good English friend, who when he tries to sound American sounds like a John Wayne trying to speak through a full mouth, grumbly and mumbling. THat's the Stephen Strange accent to me.

Shageletic fucked around with this message at 19:13 on Sep 15, 2017

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

*Israeli Government-affiliated poster
Captain Marvel has a new co-writer - Geneva Robertson-Dworet - who doesn't have any movies released yet, but she is writing the scripts for the upcoming Gotham City Sirens and Tomb Raider movies. Meg LeFauve (Inside Out) and Nicole Perlman (Guardians of the Galaxy) are still the main writers.

Captain Marvel also just hired Andy Nichols (Gravity, Jurassic World, Captain America: The First Avenger) as the Production Designer and Visual Coordinator.

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

And now I'm in a youtube hole, here's a vid on why British singers sound American when they sing: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DQ8RdLtZWlc

It's b/c American is the most neutral accent.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours
A lot of British singers sound American when they sing for an even simpler reason: many, MANY British singers were directly and consciously influenced by American artists. Adele sounds like a 90's soul singer because that's what she's influenced by. Led Zepplin were a blues cover band. You might as well ask why ska bandleaders sound like they're pretending to be Jamaican, or what's up with Joey Ramone's "California" singing accent.

Mordiceius
Nov 10, 2007

If you think calling me names is gonna get a rise out me, think again. I like my life as an idiot!
I remember seeing the Watchmen film at a midnight show. As I was walking to my car in the movie theater parking lot, I passed a couple guys (no joke, all wearing fedoras and long coats), and they were ranting about how "This movie was poo poo! It was human poo poo! How could they take out the squid?!?!"

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

You've got to admit, you are kind of implausible

well why not posted:

That'd make sense more if it was made in the 60's or 70's.

It was set in the 80s, so it'd make more sense to look like that then the costumes of the 90s/00s

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

Inescapable Duck posted:

Even Logan did a bit of that.

And what was Man of Steel if not an exploration of how awesome and horrifying a true superhero battle is? Something can be cool, and also be terrible and horrifying, which I think Snyder tries very hard to get across.

Logan was not as good as it should have been, since they didn't wanted to have their cool action along with their deconstructionist comic book stylings. It'd be infinitely better if Logan had lost the fight against the cartoonish Latinos in the beginning, for example.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD posted:

A lot of British singers sound American when they sing for an even simpler reason: many, MANY British singers were directly and consciously influenced by American artists. Adele sounds like a 90's soul singer because that's what she's influenced by. Led Zepplin were a blues cover band. You might as well ask why ska bandleaders sound like they're pretending to be Jamaican, or what's up with Joey Ramone's "California" singing accent.

There's that, but a lot of musicians claim they're not trying to mimic it, so it's either a subconscious thing or like how some scientists in the field claim, due to the particulars of the American accent, one without the massive pitch changes and sing song natures found in a lot of dialects in English.

I mean there's a reason why a lot of country singers lose their accents mid song too. Accenting vowels and pushing through the vocal chord inhibit a lot of regional accents.

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

Cerepol posted:

Truly the most annoying thing about this thread, is the reversal into glorifying the human that is Zack Snyder instead of just discussing his work. Not that y'all don't do that, occasionally someone dips into how manly he is as if that is relevant or anything.

I try to not talk about Snyder here. It gets weird.

Punkin Spunkin
Jan 1, 2010

DC Murderverse posted:

https://twitter.com/bubbawheat/status/904371610651648001

y'all should send this dude a list of comic movies, I'm kind of curious as to the results (and enough of us might be able to skew MoS onto the upper reaches of the list)
I don't think he'll let me include Darkman :( it was a comic after the fact and it's the best superhero movie period but yah
I mean, I guess this means you could throw in stuff like Road to Perdition

Electromax posted:

I was thinking about all the comic book actors who fake an American accent:
- superman
- dr. strange
- spiderman x2
- batman (TDK)
- young beast
- quicksilver (avengers)
- nebula
- doc ock
- daredevil
- iron fist
...probably some others. They can usually swing it well (I had no idea about e.g. Tom Holland until after I saw the movie) and I omitted a ton of international actors who get to use an accent of some kind.

I found this Quora about it:
https://www.quora.com/Why-does-Hollywood-keep-casting-British-actors-to-play-American-superheroes

Many people point to:
- better training
- lack of enough theatre exposure in US
- cheaper
...as primary reasons, just wondered if anyone had additional comments about that.
I liked Legion's clever leverage of this phenomenon. poo poo should do that more often
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WLwqaqPwWvA

Shageletic posted:

And now I'm in a youtube hole, here's a vid on why British singers sound American when they sing: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DQ8RdLtZWlc

It's b/c American is the most neutral accent.
I wonder why I feel like I've heard the reverse too, American singers sounding like they're putting on a British accent.

Serf
May 5, 2011

They could've just made Strange british. It's not like "is American" is a huge character trait for him

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
Studying the art of terrorists
To keep you safe

Serf posted:

They could've just made Strange british. It's not like "is American" is a huge character trait for him

People got mad when Emma Stone was cast as Gwen Stacey because her hair wasn't the right color (ignoring the fact that she dies her hair red and is actually a natural blonde, but that's beside the point). People would have lost their poo poo at making Strange British.

Not saying that should be a reason for doing it. gently caress those people. But that's why the studio wouldn't have done it.

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007

Serf posted:

I'm sure they have some sort of focus group data that concluded with someone that arrogant, sarcastic and british would be too unlikable for american audiences.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

I just saw strange and didn't even notice he was using an accent .

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007

euphronius posted:

I just saw strange and didn't even notice he was using an accent .

i was too bored to care

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

MacheteZombie posted:

i was too bored to care

I knew nothing about strange so I rly liked it. Felt different then the other marvel movies .

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
Studying the art of terrorists
To keep you safe

euphronius posted:

I knew nothing about strange so I rly liked it. Felt different then the other marvel movies .

I liked it, but it felt like Iron Man mixed with Green Lantern. Only, you know, better than GL.

It also had one of my favorite endings to a Marvel movie yet, with the bargaining scene.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

euphronius posted:

It was basically a remake of Iron Man.

That said I did like the way the 'boss' was defeated so it has that going for it.

Serf
May 5, 2011

thrawn527 posted:

People got mad when Emma Stone was cast as Gwen Stacey because her hair wasn't the right color (ignoring the fact that she dies her hair red and is actually a natural blonde, but that's beside the point). People would have lost their poo poo at making Strange British.

Not saying that should be a reason for doing it. gently caress those people. But that's why the studio wouldn't have done it.

I think at this point it can be safely concluded that those people are not where the money is. Hell, Doctor Strange is one of my favorite comic book characters and if you had asked me where he was from I wouldn't have known.

MacheteZombie posted:

I'm sure they have some sort of focus group data that concluded with someone that arrogant, sarcastic and british would be too unlikable for american audiences.

This is probably true. I just wish they'd gone with someone less predictable.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

Jutsuka posted:

The lack of self-awareness required to write these two statements in the same paragraph is staggering.

McSpanky posted:

Typically you give a person enough rope and they hang themselves, but every now and then they end up in Japanese rope bondage instead. :allears:

I really should've known better than to try to post in this miserable thread.

BravestOfTheLamps
Oct 12, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy
Everyone who read the comic will completely understand why the film was wrong

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

Yes, see, the fact that you're in this thread should've been my first warning.

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth

ImpAtom posted:

It was basically a remake of the entire Iron Man series if his character development had stuck.

I mean kinda, if you squint a lot.

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

What a horrible thread to have a post.

ImpAtom posted:

It was basically a remake of Iron Man.

That said I did like the way the 'boss' was defeated so it has that going for it.

That entire ending was pretty neat, and of course the fact that Dr Strange has already lost and try to win by boring his opponents to death on a technicality (which actually works!) was funny to me. The ultimate Neoliberal Worldview: when technology doesn't save the day, try doing the same procedure over and over until you win!

Guy A. Person
May 23, 2003

Lurdiak posted:

I really should've known better than to try to post in this miserable thread.

It sucks that when you tried to talk poo poo about everyone in this "miserable thread" it came off as oxymoronic and kind of dumb seeming but I hope you learn to get along with people :gbsmith:

SuperMechagodzilla
Jun 9, 2007

NEWT REBORN
When fans say the Watchmen comic is 'realistic', they are referring to a specific form of liberal-pragmatic realism.

(The time for idealism is over. We need to be realistic, because we are already at the end of history. It's either capitalism or the apocalypse. So now it's just a matter of administrating the system so that we maximize security and minimize loss of life....)

Consequently, fans celebrate the 'moral ambiguity' of heroes-without-ethics as they fight to defend liberal capitalism against its symptoms. It's decaf superheroism, without the 'super' part (e.g. the Stark Industries Avengers).

In other words, fans took the 'moral ambiguity' - over whether the holocaust was good - as a sign of these new heroes' intelligence and maturity. These new heroes are willing to ask the tough questions that Superman is afraid to ask - like "maybe this antichrist has some good ideas?"

Like murdering that homeless guy to cover up the truth that capitalism is what killed all those people. That's a pretty 'morally ambiguous' idea, because we do it and then feel slightly bad about it.

The MSJ
May 17, 2010

New promo picture of Barry Allen in his pad.

Dark_Tzitzimine
Oct 9, 2012

by R. Guyovich
That looks so cool :allears:

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours
I forgot he was the titular character in We Need To Talk About Kevin and now it's all I can see.

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.
For me, the real terrible Alan Moore adaptation is V for Vendetta, where a pro-anarchism book became pro-liberal democracy, losing the edge that made it interesting.

porfiria
Dec 10, 2008

by Modern Video Games
Zack Snyder is dumb, this is very easy to determine. He's a Christian in 2017.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

porfiria posted:

Zack Snyder is dumb, this is very easy to determine. He's a Christian in 2017.

We really going to label some one as stupid for being religious?

Really?

In 2017 no less? Not even the bad kind of religious, where he's espousing harmful views that hurt people. The normal kind where he just does his own thing and doesn't bother anyone and some times works the imagery into his own work when he can

• Locked thread