Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

blarzgh
Apr 14, 2009

SNITCHIN' RANDY
Grimey Drawer

Improbable Lobster posted:

That's a stupid idea and you're stupid for thinking it

You're mean for saying that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ArbitraryC
Jan 28, 2009
Pick a number, any number
Pillbug
i think blarzgh is suggesting that the story seems to have two contradictory halves that come across almost intentionally scripted to project the reader's own personal bias.

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

"From each according to his ability" said Ares. It sounded like a quotation.
Buglord

blarzgh posted:

You're mean for saying that.

Don't use text to speech

PHIZ KALIFA
Dec 21, 2011

#mood

Absurd Alhazred posted:

This is like Confederacy of Dunces fanfic or something.

Edit: With a touch of Lovecraft.

nah this is pretty bog-standard Indian Subcontinent English. I haven't been exposed to enough of it to pick out regional variances but I'd imagine they live near one of the larger metropolitan area. Might be living abroad, but it's definitely not their first language.

PetraCore
Jul 20, 2017

👁️🔥👁️👁️👁️BE NOT👄AFRAID👁️👁️👁️🔥👁️

A Wizard of Goatse posted:

if you voluntarily impair your judgement to the point you start thinking rape is cool or leaving your buddies to die is a good idea you were still of sound mind when you engineered that situation, basically, even if you weren't at the moment an actual crime was committed. It's the same logic by which if someone dies while you're robbing a bank you can be charged with murder, even if you didn't personally kill them and their death wasn't your objective when you started robbing the bank.

Okay, yes, this is what I was trying to articulate.

Whorelord
May 1, 2013

Jump into the well...

so who got raped the time me and my friends got paralytic and spent £400 each on strippers? cos i definitely wouldn't consent to that and there's a moldovan woman out there who took too much of our cash

epsilon
Oct 31, 2001

PHIZ KALIFA posted:

but it's definitely not their first language.

OH REALLY

YOU THINK

Lone Goat
Apr 16, 2003

When life gives you lemons, suplex those lemons.

epsilon posted:

OH REALLY

YOU THINK

People in this thread poo poo their loving pants when a British person uses "whilst" so it's not a surprise that an American can't figure out that a person is obviously ESL and yes it needs to be pointed out.

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

To these sing-alongs 🎤of siren 🧜🏻‍♀️songs
To oohs😮 to ahhs😱 to 👏big👏applause👏
With all of my 😡anger I scream🤬 and shout📢
🇺🇸America🦅, I love you 🥰but you're freaking 💦me 😳out
Biscuit Hider
Wait there are people who don't learn English at birth???

DragQueenofAngmar
Dec 29, 2009

You shall not pass!

Lone Goat posted:

People in this thread poo poo their loving pants when a British person uses "whilst" so it's not a surprise that an American can't figure out that a person is obviously ESL and yes it needs to be pointed out.

that's because 'whilst' is a garbage word for pretentious idiots and saying it's commonly used in england only serves to completely prove that point

YeahTubaMike
Mar 24, 2005

*hic* Gotta finish thish . . .
Doctor Rope

Submarine Sandpaper posted:

lol of course goons would blame the prostitute wrt consent. Do you scream "assault assault!" if a stripper touches you?

Content, although IMO a pretty obvious troll of e/n

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3773996&userid=221663

"BE Shinull" is definitely fake as hell

sephiRoth IRA
Jun 13, 2007

"Science is not only compatible with spirituality; it is a profound source of spirituality."

-Carl Sagan

DragQueenofAngmar posted:

that's because 'whilst' is a garbage word for pretentious idiots and saying it's commonly used in england only serves to completely prove that point

:yeah:

I agree that the story seemed a little too loaded, but might some of that might be a guy not willing to acknowledge that he was raped because our culture repeatedly tells us that men can't be raped?

DragQueenofAngmar
Dec 29, 2009

You shall not pass!
feel bad saying this but I lost a lot of sympathy for the guy when in a comment he says "well at least herpes can be covered up by a condom and isn't contagious" like this dumb fucker is gonna go give this to a bunch of innocent folks

Multilake
Dec 11, 2016

If you're in a jam, a crayon scrunched under your nose makes a good pretend moustache.

fruit on the bottom posted:

Wait there are people who don't learn English at birth???

They hate us, because they ain't us:boom:

Doc Hawkins
Jun 15, 2010

Dashing? But I'm not even moving!

Someone needs to pull the red pill out of their rear end and take off their cuck-colored glasses.

Haifisch
Nov 13, 2010

Objection! I object! That was... objectionable!

Taco Defender
I [29M] opened my big mouth about my GF [29F] of a year and 4 months parenting with [3M] it's got me in hot water with her.

quote:

I opened my fat mouth about my girlfriends parenting and it got me in hot water. I don't live with her. I was just here to help fix something.

Earlier tonight he was eating dinner and didn't want his carrots & peas she made with his chicken. He threw the plate down which caused a mess. She took him and made him sit in his time out stool for 10 minutes. She cleaned the mess he made. He went to go grab one of his toys. She took it away from him and put it in the box. She sat on his toy chest and stated that he doesn't get to play with them for throwing food on the floor.

I opened my fat mouth about him getting bored if he has nothing to play with. She looked at me and simply said, "You stay out of this!" She told me to leave shortly after that. She didn't really make eye contact and slammed the door behind me.

tl;dr: hosed up. What to do?

The_end
May 17, 2014

Haifisch posted:

I [29M] opened my big mouth about my GF [29F] of a year and 4 months parenting with [3M] it's got me in hot water with her.

He should stay out of her life.

dads friend steve
Dec 24, 2004

Haifisch posted:

The kid got a 10 minute time out, but this goober earned himself a lifetime one with her

Admiral Ray
May 17, 2014

Proud Musk and Dogecoin fanboy

Haifisch posted:

She should dump you, tbh.

dads friend steve
Dec 24, 2004

I can just feel through his text how icy the "you stay out of this" must have been. Haunting...

cumshitter
Sep 27, 2005

by Fluffdaddy
Good job on showing what a poo poo parent you'll be by siding against the mom with a literal child.

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

I'm going to go out a limb and guess he's undermined her in a million little ways before this and this was the last straw.

Admiral Ray
May 17, 2014

"You can't create a consistent and well-enforced cause-based punishment he might get bored!"

goethe.cx
Apr 23, 2014

feel bad saying this but I lost a lot of sympathy for the guy when in a comment he says "well at least herpes can be covered up by a condom and isn't contagious" like this dumb fucker is gonna go give this to a bunch of innocent folks

unfortunately for this guy, not knowing that herpes is contagious isn't going to help him when he gives it to someone and they press charges for sexual battery

Bunni-kat
May 25, 2010

Service Desk B-b-bunny...
How can-ca-caaaaan I
help-p-p-p you?

Proteus Jones posted:

I'm going to go out a limb and guess he's undermined her in a million little ways before this and this was the last straw.

I was thinking the idiot should just apologize, but reading your take seems really likely.

dads friend steve
Dec 24, 2004

Avenging_Mikon posted:

I was thinking the idiot should just apologize, but reading your take seems really likely.

That's what blows me away. He could have at least expressed his dumbshit opinion privately instead of undermining her in front of her OWN CHILD

DragQueenofAngmar
Dec 29, 2009

You shall not pass!
one of the most baffling things to me is how incredibly large the amount of people who seem to just narrate their thoughts out loud as they occur to them is. like, I can see having that thought flit through my head, maybe, because I think dumb stuff all the time. but is no one else running a mental check on their thoughts on the way from brain to mouth or what

Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dec 22, 2005

GET LOSE, YOU CAN'T COMPARE WITH MY POWERS

one of the most baffling things to me is how incredibly large the amount of people who seem to just narrate their thoughts out loud as they occur to them is. like, I can see having that thought flit through my head, maybe, because I think dumb stuff all the time. but is no one else running a mental check on their thoughts on the way from brain to mouth or what

Being able to turn this thing off is a greatly valuable skill. Consciously lowering inhibitions is very powerful when applied right, generally when brainstorming in a large group or performing creative tasks are in pursuit. I'm sure some people err too far one way, and the the other, same as everything.

Haifisch
Nov 13, 2010

Objection! I object! That was... objectionable!

Taco Defender

Jeffrey of YOSPOS posted:

I'm sure some people err too far one way, and the the other, same as everything.
Considering how 'my SO is an rear end in a top hat who justifies it by claiming having no filter is a positive thing' stories we've seen...

DragQueenofAngmar
Dec 29, 2009

You shall not pass!

Jeffrey of YOSPOS posted:

Being able to turn this thing off is a greatly valuable skill. Consciously lowering inhibitions is very powerful when applied right, generally when brainstorming in a large group or performing creative tasks are in pursuit. I'm sure some people err too far one way, and the the other, same as everything.

it's a lot easier to have a strong one and just smoke some weed when you need to write a killer song tho

Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dec 22, 2005

it's a lot easier to have a strong one and just smoke some weed when you need to write a killer song tho
Sometimes you have to do it in places where that's hard, I dunno, maybe you're a corporate improv coach???

DragQueenofAngmar
Dec 29, 2009

You shall not pass!
it's 2017, lol if the finance bros arent dabbing up in the office like a worst-future mad men

cumshitter
Sep 27, 2005

by Fluffdaddy

it's 2017, lol if the finance bros arent dabbing up in the office like a worst-future mad men

Nobody is dabbing at my office but the sales reps definitely get clients liquored up over lunch/dinner if their money isn't doing as well as they'd like.

Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dec 22, 2005

That's probably a 5000 year old tradition.

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost

Haifisch posted:

Considering how 'my SO is an rear end in a top hat who justifies it by claiming having no filter is a positive thing' stories we've seen...

tactlessbastard
Feb 4, 2001

Godspeed, post
Fun Shoe

My cousin used to be married to a woman who managed to alienate the entire family, one at a time, within a few weeks of meeting everyone, by having the complete inability to keep a thought to herself or being breathtakingly unaware of her audience.

For example, pertinent to recent discussion, approximately five seconds after she had her first baby she felt at absolute liberty to offer unsolicited parenting advice to any and all. For example, telling her mother-in-law what she could have done better.

DragQueenofAngmar
Dec 29, 2009

You shall not pass!
the fuc

I'm[24M] annoyed with my dad[37M] and his girlfriend[26F], who I used to date

quote:

Long story short, I was in a relationship with this amazing woman Kate. We were together for 6 months. 3 months into the relationship, she met my dad and I sensed an instant attraction between the two though obviously they tried to ignore it. I don't think my dad paid her too much attention in the beginning but I did know that Kate had a pretty big crush on him. That didn't bother me, it was kinda funny (at first), because obviously you can be attracted to more than one person. And my dad is...very good looking. He got up to a lot of trouble as a kid because of this, as you can tell by our age difference.

So anyway, time goes on and turns out that they have a whole lot in common. Kate breaks up with me and tells me she has feelings for my dad, can't ignore them, and she needs time to herself to sort through these emotions and that it isn't fair of her to stay with me

Couple months later my dad comes to me and tells me that he is interested in Kate but he won't make a move if I wasn't ok with it. I told him fine. So they began dating and they've together quite awhile now, I think they'll probably get married

What bothers me is that it's pretty annoying to do anything with them or go to family functions. I feel like all our family members are staring at me the whole time because the first time they met Kate she was my girlfriend

Aside from this my dad's a great guy and raised me by himself after his parents died when he was 17

edit: need to clarify that I'm not asking them to break up. I understand that I said ok. More annoyed at how everyone reacts to it I guess and wanting them to stop having sex so much when I'm around because it seems inconsiderate. But also don't think they know I can hear them in their house

tl;dr: dad is dating my ex girlfriend and I fret about what other people think of us; I also get annoyed with them a lot especially because I visited them once and heard them having sex at least 4 times in one day (they didn't know I heard)

nice twist on age gaps too

Admiral Ray
May 17, 2014

the fuc

Wait, this dude's dad was 13 when he was born?

DragQueenofAngmar
Dec 29, 2009

You shall not pass!

Admiral Ray posted:

Wait, this dude's dad was 13 when he was born?

quote:

And my dad is...very good looking. He got up to a lot of trouble as a kid because of this, as you can tell by our age difference.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dads friend steve
Dec 24, 2004

the fuc

:wtc: