Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Powerful Two-Hander
Mar 10, 2004

Mods please change my name to "Tooter Skeleton" TIA.

what I said to the offshore team: "the grid result need to be exported to excel serverside so we need to look at how the legacy methods work because they're bad. it would be nice if we generated actual xlsx files but I think it might need Excel installed on the server so might not work. also data should be returned as a byte stream to the browser. "

what came back: literally the exact opposite. serverside com interop that needs a local excel install so fails because it's not installed on Web hosts and also memory leaked excel instances everywhere, storing temp files on the server and not deleting them and my favourite, returning a *path to a temp file on the server* as a response to the Web request that is then sent back to the server from the browser as another request to a controller that then just returns whatever file is at that path with zero access control

i don't know why I bother.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Powerful Two-Hander
Mar 10, 2004

oh poo poo I forgot that they also duplicated all of the data methods as well for the sole purpose of adding a single hard coded bit flag parameter to the procedure calls instead of just making it an optional parameter on the main method

i replaced all their code

Sapozhnik
Jan 2, 2005

Nap Ghost

Powerful Two-Hander
Mar 10, 2004

wisdom

Kind of related but a shout out gently caress you to Microsoft on COM interop which is still a pile of poo poo that doesn't shut down instances properly unless you janitor them manually

Sweevo
Nov 8, 2007

i sometimes throw cables away

i mean straight into the bin without spending 10+ years in the box of might-come-in-handy-someday first

im a fucking monster

Luigi Thirty posted:

also according to the DSP, the absolute value of signed zero ($80000000) is signed zero ($80000000)

I have no idea if that’s "right” or not

errata: accidentally implemented a hardware random number generator instead of a processor core
workaround: :flip:

DONT THREAD ON ME
Oct 1, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo
Floss Finder
we have a contracted team in south america and they're actually really good. best contractors ive ever worked with

Soricidus
Oct 21, 2010
freedom-hating statist shill

Powerful Two-Hander posted:

it would be nice if we generated actual xlsx files but I think it might need Excel installed on the server so might not work

actually there are decent libraries for making xlsx files without excel. I've used the python one with good results.

anthonypants
May 6, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo
Dinosaur Gum

Soricidus posted:

actually there are decent libraries for making xlsx files without excel. I've used the python one with good results.
did you know??? .xlsx is actually a .zip

CRIP EATIN BREAD
Jun 24, 2002

Hey stop worrying bout my acting bitch, and worry about your WACK ass music. In the mean time... Eat a hot bowl of Dicks! Ice T

Soiled Meat

FamDav posted:

jetbrains had a problem: they had to hold features because they needed to make upgrades worthwhile, and they would rather release features when ready and adopt an evergreen model. they wanted to move to a straight subscription model, but customers who liked having real ownership of the yearly release were mad, so they made it so you could get ownership of a release if you paid for a year. everybody is super happy about it and got what they wanted

except you, the person calling stuff retarded on the internet in 2017

gonadic io
Feb 16, 2011

>>=

anthonypants posted:

i've encountered a file that claimed to be xlsx that was actually an xml file. the only way i found to actually deal with it was open it in excel (with a bunch of warnings) and then actually save it as a real xlsx

anthonypants
May 6, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo
Dinosaur Gum

gonadic io posted:

i've encountered a file that claimed to be xlsx that was actually an xml file. the only way i found to actually deal with it was open it in excel (with a bunch of warnings) and then actually save it as a real xlsx
i'm sure you can rename a .csv or an .xls file or any other filetype excel can normally open to .xlsx and excel will open it (with a bunch of warnings)

ulmont
Sep 15, 2010

IF I EVER MISS VOTING IN AN ELECTION (EVEN AMERICAN IDOL) ,OR HAVE UNPAID PARKING TICKETS, PLEASE TAKE AWAY MY FRANCHISE

gonadic io posted:

Oh, God, was that Excel 2003? Single XML file (XMLSS), should be a .xml, not actually readable by basically anything other than Excel and certainly not by the Apache POI project that handles all the other Excel formats?

gonadic io
Feb 16, 2011

>>=

ulmont posted:

Oh, God, was that Excel 2003? Single XML file (XMLSS), should be a .xml, not actually readable by basically anything other than Excel and certainly not by the Apache POI project that handles all the other Excel formats?

quite possibly. i just made the person giving it to me open-and-resave it so i could use poi

Powerful Two-Hander
Mar 10, 2004

Soricidus posted:

yeah i suggested this and it just got blank silence and i couldn't be bothered to wade through 800 implementations to find a non-poo poo one myself so i just dumped the data to .csv and converted it to a bytesream. worksforme bug closed.

anthonypants posted:

i keep telling people this and they literally do not believe me

i also encountered this bullshit: if you load a .csv file into excel and the first column name is "ID" it will fail to parse it because excel thinks every file beginning with "ID" is a "SYLK" file and then throws a "cannot parse this file" error so you have to add a fix to change it to "id"

Powerful Two-Hander fucked around with this message at 23:29 on Sep 15, 2017

mystes
May 31, 2006

anthonypants posted:

It's still a pain to work with them directly, even ignoring the complexity of the actual xml content itself. I wish Office offered uncompressed flat-file formats like LibreOffice does now. They're really great for things like version control systems.

anthonypants
May 6, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo
Dinosaur Gum

Powerful Two-Hander posted:

i also encountered this bullshit: if you load a .csv file into excel and the first column name is "ID" it will fail to parse it because excel thinks every file beginning with "ID" is a "SYLK" file and then throws a "cannot parse this file" error so you have to add a fix to change it to "id"
lmao

Powerful Two-Hander
Mar 10, 2004

i swear that MS is maintaing some kind of "old school knowledge" program to ensure that some day, somehow, when somebody says "what is this 'cannot parse sylk file error'?" i can say "heh, actually..."

see also the classic "dtsx file parsing only looks at the first 1000 rows so will gently caress you over if you have a longer data type in row 1001"

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

Emergency confection port.

Sweevo posted:

errata: accidentally implemented a hardware random number generator instead of a processor core
workaround: :flip:

essentially yes

I’m currently porting my C matrix math library over to the Jag DSP because I am literally insane

distortion park
Apr 25, 2011

Creating the new style xlsx files is ok with some of the libraries, although there's a load of boilerplate. God help you if you have to parse one though (especially user created. Just use csv or the far superior tsv instead

PokeJoe
Aug 24, 2004

hail cgatan

quiggy posted:

hey what's a good issue tracker these days

Trello

quiggy
Aug 7, 2010

[in Russian] Oof.

they picked Bugzilla :rolleye:

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

Jaguar RISC manual posted:

G_PC: The GPU program counter register. Changing this while the GPU is running is probably not a good idea.

today’s adventure is trying to figure out how to tell the GPU to start executing a program at a specific offset so I can load my whole matrix math library into memory and call add/subtract/etc like subroutines

the RISC CPUs are something like 10-12x faster than the 68k in matrix operations taking the doubled clock speed and near 1 cycle per instruction timing into account, and you can do the operations in parallel with the CPU.

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

THEN WHY DID YOU PUT IT IN THE MANUAL

carry on then
Jul 10, 2010

by VideoGames

(and can't post for 10 years!)

Luigi Thirty posted:

optimism

pokeyman
Nov 26, 2006

That elephant ate my entire platoon.

Luigi Thirty posted:

courage

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

in reality this means there's a whole chapter of "DON'T TOUCH THESE REGISTERS OR YOU'LL BLOW UP YOUR TV" video settings

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene

Luigi Thirty posted:

because they didn't wanna re-run the layout tool lol

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene

Luigi Thirty posted:

in reality this means there's a whole chapter of "DON'T TOUCH THESE REGISTERS OR YOU'LL BLOW UP YOUR TV" video settings

that doesn't disprove their claims

analog video output is a nightmare

Sapozhnik
Jan 2, 2005

Nap Ghost

Luigi Thirty posted:

I mean, not so much the chip itself, but the jag did indeed become the backbone of many products that were definitely unforeseen

A toothbrush holder, for example.

pokeyman
Nov 26, 2006

Notorious b.s.d. posted:

that doesn't disprove their claims

analog video output is a nightmare

presumably vaguely related, I've always assumed HDMI is a hilarious nightmare to implement, but I've never bothered to attempt to verify that assumption. so if you or anyone has a handy link detailing, idk, some relevant insanity, I'd read it

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009

pokeyman posted:

presumably vaguely related, I've always assumed HDMI is a hilarious nightmare to implement, but I've never bothered to attempt to verify that assumption. so if you or anyone has a handy link detailing, idk, some relevant insanity, I'd read it

Not really. There is a well defined standard and it's digital. Most cpus have it built in and you just have to run the traces. Ezpz. Auto-negotiation is part of the standard as well, so resolution and hertz rate are easy enough to decipher as well.

Wheany
Mar 17, 2006

Spinyahahahahahahahahahahahaha!

Doctor Rope
i think upnp is the standard that's just complete unimplementable garbage

Zemyla
Aug 6, 2008

I'll take her off your hands. Pleasure doing business with you!

Luigi Thirty posted:

also according to the DSP, the absolute value of signed zero ($80000000) is signed zero ($80000000)

I have no idea if that’s "right” or not

This is what you get from pretty much all 2s-complement types. $80000000 is -2147483648, and since 32-bit integers only go up to 2147483647, adding 1 to that gives you -2147483648 again.

carry on then
Jul 10, 2010

by VideoGames

(and can't post for 10 years!)

Wheany posted:

i think upnp is the standard that's just complete unimplementable garbage

ive always wondered that about pcmcia and/or expresscard

pokeyman
Nov 26, 2006

ratbert90 posted:

Not really. There is a well defined standard and it's digital. Most cpus have it built in and you just have to run the traces. Ezpz. Auto-negotiation is part of the standard as well, so resolution and hertz rate are easy enough to decipher as well.

that's cool. happy to be wrong!

eschaton
Mar 7, 2007

Don't you just hate when you wind up in a store with people who are in a socioeconomic class that is pretty obviously about two levels lower than your own?

pokeyman posted:

DVI and DVI are honestly not so bad, they're just transports for bitstreams, you need a transceiver but otherwise your video hardware will probably generate a compatible bitstream easily (and if you're using an FPGA there'll probably be a functional block that does so that you can just drop in)

feedmegin
Jul 30, 2008

Zemyla posted:

This is what you get from pretty much all 2s-complement types. $80000000 is -2147483648, and since 32-bit integers only go up to 2147483647, adding 1 to that gives you -2147483648 again.

What he's describing sounds more like a representation with an actual sign bit, tho, like IEEE floating point for eg?

Corla Plankun
May 8, 2007

improve the lives of everyone
i've been programming various poo poo for 15 years and i just realized literally today that underscores are magic characters in sql LIKE-statements

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

i just found out that our mongo data is converted from xmls (half-assedly, explaining schema inconsistencies), and when i asked about that to confirm the fact, the "lead database guy replied" THAT THEY ARE CONVERTING XML RESPONSES TO JSON SO THEY COULD BE STORES IN A DATABASE

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

words can't explain in english the extent of ёбаный стыд this speaks of given that we are running postgre servers amongst other things

• Locked thread