Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

I would have gone with the GPS version if the carriers weren't being such dicks about the pricing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

enojy
Sep 11, 2001

bass rattle
stars out
the sky

rage-saq posted:

At the same price it’s always been offered.

Fair enough! I was just hoping there'd be a discounted Series 2 SS available, or at least a Series 3 without the additional cellular cost tacked on. Looks like refurbished is gonna be the way to go, unless retailers start putting Series 2 on clearance soon.

jink
May 8, 2002

Drop it like it's Hot.
Taco Defender

Sock The Great posted:

My S0 tracks my walks / runs when I have my phone in my pocket via my phone's GPS. With an S2/3; will it do the same even without the phone?

In theory. My S2 is absolutely horrible at GPS. When I start an activity (regardless of in/out of range from iPhone) it usually reports about 2% of my run/walk/activity. I don't know what I am doing wrong; I've tried the built in activity app, RunKeeper, etc.

I was going to try waiting for WatchOS 4 before contacting Apple about this problem. Does anyone else have GPS issues?

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

Sounds like an issue, the GPS on mine is really accurate.

Violator
May 15, 2003

jink posted:

In theory. My S2 is absolutely horrible at GPS. When I start an activity (regardless of in/out of range from iPhone) it usually reports about 2% of my run/walk/activity. I don't know what I am doing wrong; I've tried the built in activity app, RunKeeper, etc.

I was going to try waiting for WatchOS 4 before contacting Apple about this problem. Does anyone else have GPS issues?

Do you mean the GPS isn't reporting accurately (i.e., the Workout app doesn't show you the correct path you took on the map) or that the Health app is reporting your workout statistics (i.e., how long you worked out) correctly?

rufius
Feb 27, 2011

Clear alcohols are for rich women on diets.

jink posted:

Time to visit the fruit stand.

My S2 is great at that scenario.

Ultimate Mango
Jan 18, 2005

Bum the Sad posted:

I don't think there is a reason to keep the AT&T grandfathered unlimited plan anymore. They offer an unlimited plan now for the same price with 10gb fee tethering, unlimited canada and Mexico service.

Oh and you can use the poo poo like international day plan which is awesome it's $10 a day to use your unlimited poo poo anywhere. I'm in Italy on a train right now, never had to give a gently caress about finding a SIM card and topping up and all that bullshit.

Good call, thanks. I think I am saving like $40-50 per month all told. Weird that Unlimited Data is back after I was holding on to the grandfathered plan.

buglord
Jul 31, 2010

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!

Buglord
I bought a new S2 yesterday from the Apple store and it’s fun. Doesn’t seem to be lacking much compared to the S3. Cellular is useless to me. I could have sworn the S3s were also 329 without cellular. But oh well.

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

TFW you see Flyers goaltending.
Grimey Drawer

Ultimate Mango posted:

Good call, thanks. I think I am saving like $40-50 per month all told. Weird that Unlimited Data is back after I was holding on to the grandfathered plan.

Competition, when done well, is a wonderful thing. Thank the government for rejecting ATT buying T-Mobile.

Haggins
Jul 1, 2004

I got a S0 sport that I've had not long after launch. It's a little slow but still gets a full days use. I swim with it (not a ton) and it's worked fine. The screen is scratched and there is a small crack in the corner. I wear it everyday.

I still love my watch. The big things for me are texting with it, notifications of calls, location/time reminders, activities, using Siri to set timers, and of course having the accurate time along with weather and the date. Also my calorie tracker app is cool.

Other than that I don't use the apps because it's just easier to pull out the phone. I'm planning on getting a S3, probably stainless since I'm pretty rough on my watch and the sport has a lot of wear. I didn't have much of a reason to upgrade to 2, but now I'm really looking forward to LTE. I'd like to be able to leave my phone behind and still stay in touch and be able to get an uber and what not.

Taima
Dec 31, 2006

tfw you're peeing next to someone in the lineup and they don't know

Haggins posted:

I got a S0 sport that I've had not long after launch. It's a little slow but still gets a full days use. I swim with it (not a ton) and it's worked fine.

Wow that's really interesting. You swim with your s0? Could you elaborate on the conditions that you put the watch in swim-wise?

japtor
Oct 28, 2005

Happy Noodle Boy posted:

Using (ok opening) apps on a S0 feels incredibly slow nowadays. I mean, like 80% of my use is for Siri and notifications / replying to messages, but when I do want to use an app it just grinds to a halt as I wait for it to load.
Are you on OS 4 yet? It might help, if only a little, cause the way they changed up how apps run mostly/all on the watch instead of still having some split functionality between watch/phone. Nice part about it is that apps don't need to be updated for it.

Things are ok but not great on S2, messing with a few apps now and it seems noticeably better in OS 4, but there's only a few I mess with. FB Messenger doesn't seem completely broken now but it was messing up for me earlier so who knows, while other apps launched decently quickly enough even though I don't have them docked or anything. My biggest issue has been Maps being flaky when initiated from the watch (whether Siri or in app itself), and OS 4 didn't seem to help that much when I tried it yesterday.

Taima posted:

Wow that's really interesting. You swim with your s0? Could you elaborate on the conditions that you put the watch in swim-wise?
I'm curious how the speaker is, I think water eventually messed mine up and made it super tinny sounding while everything else with the watch was fine. But it might be fine if you blow out the water yourself, vs S2 having the speaker do it (and differently designed chamber on top of that).

Sock The Great
Oct 1, 2006

It's Lonely At The Top. But It's Comforting To Look Down Upon Everyone At The Bottom
Grimey Drawer
Braver man than I. I don't even wash dishes with my S0 on.

Violator
May 15, 2003

The S0 instructions said to hold it under a faucet and run warm water over it to clean it and to fix the Digital Crown's rotation if it gets sticky so it's water resistant. I swim with it, shower with it, wash my dog, etc. The only water thing I don't do is hot tubs because of the heat, but everything else has been fine per my experience.

The Dave
Sep 9, 2003

I went into the pool with my S1 for the whole day. I read that it wouldn't harm it and the watch can detect swim stroke so it wasn't a crazy idea, and I was drunk, so I just went for it. All is well.

Fiki
Dec 5, 2006
You mean Gumbercules? I love that guy!
I’ve had my S0 SS Watch since launch day and it’s been in the ocean, shower, pool, and hot tub dozens of times a year with no issues (so far). I didn’t care about the risk at first since I had AppleCare on it...and then I realized that it was working just fine so I kept doing it. Obviously YMMV but I just wanted to put it out there.

Im pretty happy that’s I’m still not seeing a reason to upgrade since my usage scenarios (check notifications, delete incoming emails, respond to texts, check weather, set timers, and track workouts) haven’t resulted in the S0 watch faltering yet.

Sock The Great
Oct 1, 2006

It's Lonely At The Top. But It's Comforting To Look Down Upon Everyone At The Bottom
Grimey Drawer
I'm upgrading from an S0 to an S2 on Monday. As far as the water resistance goes, do I need to enable the little motor to push the water out of the speaker for showers and that sort of stuff or does it detect it automatically?

eddiewalker
Apr 28, 2004

Arrrr ye landlubber

Sock The Great posted:

I'm upgrading from an S0 to an S2 on Monday. As far as the water resistance goes, do I need to enable the little motor to push the water out of the speaker for showers and that sort of stuff or does it detect it automatically?

It's a good idea to swipe up and turn on the water droplet before getting wet just to avoid weird phantom screen input. Spinning the crown to get out of water mode triggers the speaker eject sound.

Not the end of the world if you don't do it.

Housh
Jul 9, 2001

I'm thinking of picking up a refurb S2 from Apple. They still seem expensive at $589.00 CAD so I'm trying to build value. That's not a too bad price for a watch I would wear daily but I'm afraid that these things will become obsolete like the phones after a few years which kinda sucks for watch.

I have a 7Plus and it looks silly in my dress pants so it would be nice to keep it in my bag and have the watch to check messages. I also need a watch for my lectures cause I feel looking at my phone is inappropriate. I also like the idea of the fitness applications.

Anyways, what do you guys think? Was the watch worth it over a nice black G-Shock (I only like digital watches) or is it totally an overkill frivolously purchase if you have surplus funds...?

edit: what the gently caress why is the S3 (non cellular) only $469 CAD...cheaper than the S2 refurbished....I"m so confused.

edit2: oh ok stainless steel case vs aluminum...what are the advantages disadvantages?

Housh fucked around with this message at 16:13 on Sep 16, 2017

Ultimate Mango
Jan 18, 2005

I have been trying to parse the real SS vs AL value myself. Sapphire vs Glass screens. Apparently scratches vs chips in the metal? Cost?

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

The new flashlight feature on WatchOS 4 is so useful. Holy poo poo.

Bum the Sad
Aug 25, 2002
Hell Gem
[quote="“Ultimate Mango”" post="“476440447”"]
[/quote]

Yeah I tried to find articles about it and apparently they were losing business to Verizon who apparently offer unlimited. But yeah competition is good.

Oh and with that savings make sure you picked the Plus plan and not Choice. The Choice plan gimps your internet speed. Plus is just like the old plan. Oh and free HBO.

It's nice to finally loving have tethering too after all these years.

Bum the Sad fucked around with this message at 17:14 on Sep 16, 2017

enojy
Sep 11, 2001

bass rattle
stars out
the sky

Housh posted:

I'm thinking of picking up a refurb S2 from Apple. They still seem expensive at $589.00 CAD so I'm trying to build value. That's not a too bad price for a watch I would wear daily but I'm afraid that these things will become obsolete like the phones after a few years which kinda sucks for watch.

I have a 7Plus and it looks silly in my dress pants so it would be nice to keep it in my bag and have the watch to check messages. I also need a watch for my lectures cause I feel looking at my phone is inappropriate. I also like the idea of the fitness applications.

Anyways, what do you guys think? Was the watch worth it over a nice black G-Shock (I only like digital watches) or is it totally an overkill frivolously purchase if you have surplus funds...?

edit: what the gently caress why is the S3 (non cellular) only $469 CAD...cheaper than the S2 refurbished....I"m so confused.

edit2: oh ok stainless steel case vs aluminum...what are the advantages disadvantages?

I'd strongly recommend waiting at least another week; the S2 is pretty much discontinued (no idea why S2 got the boot over S1) and retailers may clearance them out since it's soon to be a dead SKU. Last year, the S0 (first Apple Watch) got insanely discounted as the new ones came out. Or maybe that won't happen at all, but it's worth a shot. It's in a strange spot, with the S1 still being manufactured and shipped.

Stainless steel vs aluminum, cosmetic and build quality differences. Stainless gets a sapphire screen and a ceramic back "dome" (sensor cover) while the aluminum has a glass screen and plastic dome. The aluminum is plenty durable, but stainless looks nicer.

WithoutTheFezOn
Aug 28, 2005
Oh no
Best Buy already has S2s for $70 off and B&H Photo has them $80 off (42mm base model).

Ultimate Mango
Jan 18, 2005

Bum the Sad posted:

Yeah I tried to find articles about it and apparently they were losing business to Verizon who apparently offer unlimited. But yeah competition is good.

Oh and with that savings make sure you picked the Plus plan and not Choice. The Choice plan gimps your internet speed. Plus is just like the old plan. Oh and free HBO.

It's nice to finally loving have tethering too after all these years.

Yeah, I have the Plus plan, saw the thing about gimped speeds and gently caress that. Yeah, and tethering is awesome, I will use it for sure.

And calls and texts to Canada will save me a few bucks too.

About the Apple Watch, I have two iPhones, one for work and one for personal. Can I use one watch with two phones? I know cellular can only pair with one number, but what about the rest?

japtor
Oct 28, 2005

Ultimate Mango posted:

I have been trying to parse the real SS vs AL value myself. Sapphire vs Glass screens. Apparently scratches vs chips in the metal? Cost?
Basically this:

enojy posted:

Stainless steel vs aluminum, cosmetic and build quality differences. Stainless gets a sapphire screen and a ceramic back "dome" (sensor cover) while the aluminum has a glass screen and plastic dome. The aluminum is plenty durable, but stainless looks nicer.
To add a little more, stainless can probably scuff easier actually, but you can buff stuff out, or just let it all wear in if you’re into patina. Space black stainless isn’t impossible to scratch, but relative to everything else it might as well be. Like in this thread I think I’m the only one to have damaged theirs (thanks, rock climbing wall! :downs:), afaik everyone else’s is indistinguishable from brand new. The one drawback is if (and that is a legit big if) you do manage to mess it up, there’s no fix, like aluminum.

Ultimate Mango posted:

About the Apple Watch, I have two iPhones, one for work and one for personal. Can I use one watch with two phones? I know cellular can only pair with one number, but what about the rest?
I don’t think you can. I know you can do multiple watches with one phone but haven’t heard of the other way around.

WithoutTheFezOn
Aug 28, 2005
Oh no

Ultimate Mango posted:

Can I use one watch with two phones?
No.

You can obviously unpair it from one and pair it to the other, but I’m guessing that’s not what you want to do.

enojy
Sep 11, 2001

bass rattle
stars out
the sky

WithoutTheFezOn posted:

Best Buy already has S2s for $70 off and B&H Photo has them $80 off (42mm base model).

That's pretty good. Stainless steel S2 42mm is $499 at B&H... I'm gonna stick it out til the end of the month and see what happens. Also need to look into what kind of resale value my S1 aluminum could fetch.

About the watch becoming obsolete in a few years, it's a little hard to say. It largely depends on how you use the watch. If you find yourself just using it for the time, notification pushes, and a few menial tasks (e.g. Hands free calls/directions/timers via Siri) then any of the current models could last indefinitely, until their batteries go kaput.

I can't really come up with a "power user" use case for the watch that would require annual CPU/memory/storage bumps. The room for growth on smart watches is pretty constrained (literally,) and even the S0 isn't missing a whole lot compared to the brand new S3 -- more definitive waterproofing, built-in GPS and cellular, and a brighter display. With your phone on hand, the S0 does everything the S3 can do, just a little slower.

Grassy Knowles
Apr 4, 2003

"The original Terminator was a gritty fucking AMAZING piece of sci-fi. Gritty fucking rock-hard MURDER!"

Ultimate Mango posted:

Yeah, I have the Plus plan, saw the thing about gimped speeds and gently caress that. Yeah, and tethering is awesome, I will use it for sure.

And calls and texts to Canada will save me a few bucks too.

Everytime you switch phones you’ll be restoring the watch, which is a time consuming process. It’s doable, but the juice isn’t worth the squeeze.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

enojy posted:

(no idea why S2 got the boot over S1)
It's actually pretty obvious. The wifi S3 offers a clear upgrade over the the S1 (GPS, specifically), while it wouldn't offer one over the S2 beyond being generally faster and having a barometer that may or may not be useful. Now, if they had made the S3 only LTE, then I could have seen where the S2 would fit into the lineup. As it is, they'd either have to drop the S1 price more or raise the S3 price a bit, otherwise there just wouldn't be a lot of price differentiation to make the S2 really fit.

Ultimate Mango
Jan 18, 2005

japtor posted:

To add a little more, stainless can probably scuff easier actually, but you can buff stuff out, or just let it all wear in if you’re into patina. Space black stainless isn’t impossible to scratch, but relative to everything else it might as well be. Like in this thread I think I’m the only one to have damaged theirs (thanks, rock climbing wall! :downs:), afaik everyone else’s is indistinguishable from brand new. The one drawback is if (and that is a legit big if) you do manage to mess it up, there’s no fix, like aluminum.

I have a had a few stainless watches now, just like regular mechanical watches. I tend to get them scuffed and scratched pretty good. I can take them to like a watch place and have them buffed out and such, it I'm at the point where I would rather buy an Apple Watch than spend $500-700 getting my current watch cleaned up and in good working condition again(7 years old, needs a tear down).

Would you be willing to share a pic or two of your space black stainless in its current condition? I feel like that's the way to go even at 2x the cost of regular AL watch.

buglord
Jul 31, 2010

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!

Buglord
My S2 is pretty cool. I miss being able to take a smart watch into the shower and not think anything of it. That alone was worth the premium over the S1. The screen brightness doesn’t seem that different compared to the S1 even in daylight. If it is there, it didn’t seem as drastic as the reviewers said. Build quality is great and Applely, but the gravest mistake I made was trying the stainless steel and the ceramic at the store for grins and giggles. Either way, aluminum feels alright, I just wish it came in the ceramic white color so I could match it with the vinyl rainbow bands.

I’m assuming no other watchbands handle sweat and water as well as apples included silicony ones?

Sock The Great
Oct 1, 2006

Grimey Drawer

buglord posted:

My S2 is pretty cool. I miss being able to take a smart watch into the shower and not think anything of it. That alone was worth the premium over the S1. The screen brightness doesn’t seem that different compared to the S1 even in daylight. If it is there, it didn’t seem as drastic as the reviewers said. Build quality is great and Applely, but the gravest mistake I made was trying the stainless steel and the ceramic at the store for grins and giggles. Either way, aluminum feels alright, I just wish it came in the ceramic white color so I could match it with the vinyl rainbow bands.

I’m assuming no other watchbands handle sweat and water as well as apples included silicony ones?

My $10 Amazon Milanese one has been through hundreds of sweaty workouts and gotten quite wet without any signs of wear.

Ultimate Mango
Jan 18, 2005

Sock The Great posted:

My $10 Amazon Milanese one has been through hundreds of sweaty workouts and gotten quite wet without any signs of wear.

Interesting.

Can you get a stainless steel S3 with a regular band? The Apple site I find really confusing, and it seems like the black only comes with the loop, or maybe a sport band somehow?

Sorry for all the questions, I'm just trying to figure out a kind of major purchase, and if an amazon Milanese loop saves hundreds of dollars, I am pretty game...

WithoutTheFezOn
Aug 28, 2005
Oh no
If you’re interested in a Milanese loop band, my suggestion would be to get the $10-12 Amazon knockoff first to see if you like it. In particular, the magnet slips a bit a few times daily, and that could be annoying to some people. From what I’ve been told (probably in this very thread) that happens with the genuine ones, too, so it’s probably a good $12 experiment.

I have a knockoff black loop band with about a year of wear on it, and it’s starting to lose a bit of paint on parts of it, but it’s the “outer inside” part that you never see (that’ll make sense once you try on a loop band).

fr3lm0
May 25, 2004

Ultimate Mango posted:

Interesting.

Can you get a stainless steel S3 with a regular band? The Apple site I find really confusing, and it seems like the black only comes with the loop, or maybe a sport band somehow?

Sorry for all the questions, I'm just trying to figure out a kind of major purchase, and if an amazon Milanese loop saves hundreds of dollars, I am pretty game...

You can get either color stainless with a sport band for 600/650 for 38/42mm. The stainless with milanese is 700/750. The black stainless with black Milanese has a $50 premium, so 750/800.

I like the nike style sport bands for working out. There are lots of knockoffs on amazon for about $10.

fr3lm0 fucked around with this message at 01:15 on Sep 17, 2017

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Ultimate Mango posted:

Interesting.

Yes. They have both silver and black stainless with white or black sport band, respectively, available for $599 or $649 for 38mm or42mm. With an Apple Milanese loop it's $699-$799 depending on color and size. Getting a sport band and a knockoff Milanese loop is much cheaper.

japtor
Oct 28, 2005

Ultimate Mango posted:

I have a had a few stainless watches now, just like regular mechanical watches. I tend to get them scuffed and scratched pretty good. I can take them to like a watch place and have them buffed out and such, it I'm at the point where I would rather buy an Apple Watch than spend $500-700 getting my current watch cleaned up and in good working condition again(7 years old, needs a tear down).

Would you be willing to share a pic or two of your space black stainless in its current condition? I feel like that's the way to go even at 2x the cost of regular AL watch.
Bonus damage: weirdness on screen! When on it's basically just a giant dead spot, I'd still be using it if not for that. It appeared months and months after the scratches, they say it's related (pressure on screen may have damaged water sealing or something and might be liquid damage :iiam:). That was my second space black actually, I replaced my first under warranty cause the speaker, I had a small scratch on that one, along with a light one on the sapphire. Then this happened like a week after :doh:

For comparison, side is fine, blemish looking things are just dust specks:

Replacement cost is $250 but it's an S0 so not really worth it, unless they stop making replacements and give me a S1/S2. I eventually just got an aluminum Nike one when they were on sale a while back.

buglord posted:

The new nylon velcro loop ones are supposed to be decent at that, but ultimately they're still a type of fabric so I imagine they'll absorb and take a bit to dry out. If I got it (...or a much cheaper knockoff when those start coming out) I'd probably just rinse sweat out after workouts. I'm a bit concerned about velcro long term but conceptually I like them cause they have some flexibility so should be easier to keep tight for HR tracking.

BoyBlunder
Sep 17, 2008
When does watchOS4 drop officially?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

eddiewalker
Apr 28, 2004

Arrrr ye landlubber

BoyBlunder posted:

When does watchOS4 drop officially?

Tuesday with ios11.

• Locked thread