Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Nick Soapdish
Apr 27, 2008

Welcome to the club, I've really enjoyed my Pixel XL these last few months. Worked perfect overseas too.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ded
Oct 27, 2005

Kooler than Jesus

Vasudus posted:

For my friends in the tech industry, Robert Half just pushed their 2018 salary guide: https://www.roberthalf.com/sites/default/files/documents/2018_salary_guide_NA_technology_1.pdf

I don't work in tech but it's always nice to be armed with as much market info as you can when it's time to negotiate. Come December I'm going to take my leadership to the cleaners because I'm generating a shitload of money for them. Not going to ask for too much and be told to gently caress off, but juuuuuust enough that they're willing to bump me up to keep the golden goose alive.

I tried getting a job through Robert Half a long time ago. They called me like 6 years later saying they had a position open.

boop the snoot
Jun 3, 2016
probably an obvious question but,

I'm assuming if a company is sending a driving record request off to the philly DMV that I am putting the address on my license in the "Driver Information" section of the Request for Driver Information sheet, and NOT my mailing/physical address, correct?

Specifically section C of this form

https://www.dot.state.pa.us/Public/DVSPubsForms/BDL/BDL%20Form/DL-503.pdf

boop the snoot fucked around with this message at 22:51 on Sep 15, 2017

quantumfoam
Dec 25, 2003

I randomly watched a season 11 trailer park boys episode.
Randy lost the greaser haircut, gained a mustache & a shirt?
NOT MY TRAILER PARK BOYS.

bengy81
May 8, 2010

NoNostalgia4Grover posted:

I randomly watched a season 11 trailer park boys episode.
Randy lost the greaser haircut, gained a mustache & a shirt?
NOT MY TRAILER PARK BOYS.

It was actually a pretty good season, better than 10 at least.

I'm honestly amazed that they are even watchable even if they aren't great, no show has any business being good after five seasons, much less ten.

A Bad Poster
Sep 25, 2006
Seriously, shut the fuck up.

:dukedog:

psydude posted:

So Google's sending me a Pixel XL as a replacement phone. Because I'm on Fi I barely had to wait. I only spent maybe 15 minutes total on the phone with Google.

Pesticide20 is the man.

You guys are making me kind of wish my phone was busted.

quantumfoam
Dec 25, 2003

There is 5 different trailer park boys series/movies on netflix.
gip internet wizzards please help me watch everything in order.

Chill Jim Lahey was unsettling, Randy having goals & being the trailer park rules nazi & wearing a shirt (tight-fitting as hell but still) & wanting to be a cop was just mindblowing.
Maybe Randy's ultimate goal is to be that burger headed cop from McDonald's playland & burger head Randy plans on a reign of justice & cannibalism.

UP THE BUM NO BABY
Sep 1, 2011

by Hand Knit

A Bad Poster posted:

You guys are making me kind of wish my phone was busted.

Is it a 6P? The batteries are a known terrible issue and if the charge isn't holding in yours that's all you need to get a replacement. I already replaced one and my second was going to poo poo. I was going to hold out for the Pixel 2 but my brother let me know about the 6P --> Pixel XL replacement.

A Bad Poster
Sep 25, 2006

Yeah, I have a 6P, I just got it a few months ago and haven't had any issues with the battery yet. Definitely going to keep an eye on it now.

boop the snoot
Jun 3, 2016

A Bad Poster posted:

Yeah, I have a 6P, I just got it a few months ago and haven't had any issues with the battery yet. Definitely going to keep an eye on it now.

Do you want the XL?

Because I remember you talking about having battery issues...

Hint hint

psydude
Apr 1, 2008

Pesticide20 posted:

Is it a 6P? The batteries are a known terrible issue and if the charge isn't holding in yours that's all you need to get a replacement. I already replaced one and my second was going to poo poo. I was going to hold out for the Pixel 2 but my brother let me know about the 6P --> Pixel XL replacement.

I figure that either way, I can always upgrade to the Pixel 2 next year.

Time Crisis Actor
Apr 28, 2002

by Hand Knit
*ruefully looks at iPhone 5 on the table*

The Rat
Aug 29, 2004

You will find no one to help you here. Beth DuClare has been dissected and placed in cryonic storage.

I was using a Motorola Moto G 2nd gen for a couple years and only recently upgraded to a Moto Z Force. The name sounds like something from power rangers, but it does have a much nicer camera.

Half of my previous Waldo shots were taken with that Moto G too, so it's no slouch either.

Nostalgia4Dogges
Jun 18, 2004

Only emojis can express my pure, simple stupidity.

Every time apple does something ridiculous or backwards (always) I think about going android. Always end up back on ios though 🤷‍♀️

I realize android is worlds better than the poo poo battery life mess from before

A Bad Poster
Sep 25, 2006

NUKES CURE NORKS posted:

Do you want the XL?

Because I remember you talking about having battery issues...

Hint hint

Now that you mention it, it has been getting slower to charge. Started out being able to go from dead to full in about an hour and a half and now it's taking about that long to go from half to full...

Can't really do anything about it while I'm out here in the desert, though. I'll have to wait until I get back before I look into it.

Nostalgia4Butts
Jun 1, 2006

WHERE MY HOSE DRINKERS AT

iphone se right now

might grab a 7 plus since t-mobile looks like they're trying to dump em

boop the snoot
Jun 3, 2016
I've had bad luck in the past using a an updated iOS on an old iPhone. Like iOS 11, which was probably designed with the 8/X in mind, on an iPhone 7. Always seems to run like poo poo for me.

If Apple had a way to roll back ios versions I probably would've done it every time a new iOS came out and I was using last year's iPhone model.

Nostalgia4Dogges
Jun 18, 2004

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PHXkhUJWTXM

lol

for reference:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X-DxGoIVUWo

boop the snoot
Jun 3, 2016
Took an Uber. Chose the wrong destination that was about double the distance of where I was going.

They still charged me the price for the destination I chose, not the one I went to.

This was a week ago and I've contacted them twice about it.

Normally I don't give a poo poo but it's time to start using Lyft.

Nostalgia4Dogges
Jun 18, 2004

They're both lovely and exploitative but lyft is the better of the two by far

Vasudus
May 30, 2003
I use Uber because I can expense out half my trips. They added tipping to the DC metro area so at least there's that.

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

I hate that they brought back tipping instead of just paying their drivers. I don't want to incentivize drivers to make the back seat a party bus; simply getting me to my destination without wrecking is enough.

At least now I can pay in the app instead of eating a 1-star rating because I didn't bring three dollar bills with me.

boop the snoot
Jun 3, 2016

Vasudus posted:

I use Uber because I can expense out half my trips. They added tipping to the DC metro area so at least there's that.

If you're familiar with it, how in demand is housing in Alexandria and the areas around it? Do I need to start looking like a year in advance or can I wait until ~3-6 months before I plan on moving and be able to find something I'm reasonably happy with instead of just settling for what is available?

Also, what areas around Alexandria are more affordable?

psydude
Apr 1, 2008

NUKES CURE NORKS posted:

If you're familiar with it, how in demand is housing in Alexandria and the areas around it? Do I need to start looking like a year in advance or can I wait until ~3-6 months before I plan on moving and be able to find something I'm reasonably happy with instead of just settling for what is available?

Also, what areas around Alexandria are more affordable?

Are you working in Alexandria, or just entertaining the thought of moving there to work in DC? If you're working IN Alexandria, the MD side of the river across the bridge is quite a bit cheaper, as is south near Mount Vernon. If you want to live in Alexandria to commute to DC, the corner near where 395 and 495 meet up has some nice apartments that aren't too expensive at all. If you need to be near a metro line, then prepare to pay out the rear end regardless. And if you're thinking of buying, then be prepared for some sticker shock.

redneck nazgul
Apr 25, 2013

Apartment/condo or townhouse/actual house near DC?

The rental market is really easy.

Buying requires you to be wealthy as gently caress, fine with living 45 minutes away pre-traffic, or supremely lucky in getting your bid read first by the realtor.

boop the snoot
Jun 3, 2016
Renting. It also has to be a pet friendly place. I'm just entertaining the idea in case I get hired by this company. And like I said they are hiring a year out, and with my experiences in the town I'm in right now, I just want to make sure I don't need to secure a place 8-12 months in advance of moving.

The company is HQ'd in Alexandria and that's where I'll be going most days, with a few trips to DC sprinkled in here and there every month.

Buying a house is out of the question at the moment. I'm going to wait until I work for firm for >2 years before making that type of commitment regardless of where the firm is.

redneck nazgul
Apr 25, 2013

Yeah, the area between Springfield and Alexandria proper is probably what you're looking for. You can expand out west/south of Alexandria a little if not having walking distance to a Metro line isn't a dealbreaker.

Time Crisis Actor
Apr 28, 2002

by Hand Knit
How many GIP goons live in DC/NoVA?

vains
May 26, 2004

A Big Ten institution offering distance education catering to adult learners

Deathy McDeath posted:

How many GIP goons live in DC/NoVA*?

*suburban hellscape. an endless array of strip malls and traffic.

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Does a bear split in the woods near Zheleznogorsk?

Deathy McDeath posted:

*ruefully looks at iPhone 5 on the table*

Mine's charging in the other room, because battery life is atrocious (on its 2nd) and apparently after I plugged it in and wiggled the cable around to get it to make contact, it shifted and didn't charge all night so it died. Again.

I need to make friends with someone who can get discounts on apple poo poo.

RichieHimself
May 27, 2004

No way dude, she looks like Gargamel.

Godholio posted:

However, my 5 is loving hosed. But I'm really not thrilled by the looks of the 8. And for the decent amount of memory, it's also stupid expensive.

Does your 5 still have the original battery? I recently went back to a 5 after my SE fell in a lake and the battery was dogshit, it'd be down to 60% by lunch just being in standby.

I got a kit online for $40 that included a new battery and all the tools you need to swap it out. Getting the case open was the hardest part, but well worth it since now it's like my phone is brand new. I only really use my phone for texting and google maps so having a strong battery saves me from upgrading until the rest of the parts start to fail.

edit: I guess a new battery won't help you much, but other bros rocking old iphones with lovely batteries should definitely throw a new one in there. $40 and 15 mins of work is all it takes.

RichieHimself fucked around with this message at 18:24 on Sep 16, 2017

boop the snoot
Jun 3, 2016
Buncha poors itt

-posted from my iPhone 7

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Does a bear split in the woods near Zheleznogorsk?

RichieHimself posted:

Does your 5 still have the original battery? I recently went back to a 5 after my SE fell in a lake and the battery was dogshit, it'd be down to 60% by lunch just being in standby.

I got a kit online for $40 that included a new battery and all the tools you need to swap it out. Getting the case open was the hardest part, but well worth it since now it's like my phone is brand new. I only really use my phone for texting and google maps so having a strong battery saves me from upgrading until the rest of the parts start to fail.

edit: I guess a new battery won't help you much, but other bros rocking old iphones with lovely batteries should definitely throw a new one in there. $40 and 15 mins of work is all it takes.

Second battery, second screen (cracked up in the corner). Power button doesn't work. Charging port is very questionable, takes some time to get a connection to any cable.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

bone shaking.
soul baking.
My 6s+ is basically perfect still and runs super loving fast so there's no reason to upgrade for me.

Untagged
Mar 29, 2004

Hey, does your planet have wiper fluid yet or you gonna freak out and start worshiping us?

Deathy McDeath posted:

How many GIP goons live in DC/NoVA?

Quite a few.

Nostalgia4Dogges
Jun 18, 2004

lol the new iphone 7siPhone 8 doesn't change poo poo over the 7. Granted, l gots save some for the X. A new camera might have

The 7 is a nice sweet spot and I'd be content just using an iPhone 7-esque with incremental upgrades forever.

I might get the next X if it has touchID, which is pretty much confirmed it's not coming back and apple all but abandoned it on the X

boop the snoot
Jun 3, 2016
Filed a dispute with my credit card company over Uber charging me $9 more than they should have.

It's me, the pettiest motherfucker alive.

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

NUKES CURE NORKS posted:

Filed a dispute with my credit card company over Uber charging me $9 more than they should have.

It's me, the pettiest motherfucker alive.

Your account's gonna get banned but you can probably get another one with a different credit card

boop the snoot
Jun 3, 2016

TheGreasyStrangler posted:

Your account's gonna get banned but you can probably get another one with a different credit card

I'll probably just start using Lyft. I used Uber for so long because they were the only game in town and they had this deal with my credit card where I take so many trips and I get a $15 credit.

Now Lyft is here and they don't even have that deal going anymore. And they overcharged me because my dropoff location changed after I requested the ride (they charged me for the original, $9 more expensive drop off location). I waited until the charge cleared my account and it was still there. I contacted them about it and they basically told me to gently caress off.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vasudus
May 30, 2003
I like the DC area for the most part. The weather is loving awful for me but I'm pretty much stuck here for the next 15 years or so at least so it's good I like it I guess.

Probably gonna buy a house in like uh...maybe 3-4 years. Yeah. Combined household income of 300k...probably 3-4 years maybe.

• Locked thread