Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Soothing Vapors
Mar 26, 2006

Associate Justice Lena "Kegels" Dunham: An uncool thought to have: 'is that guy walking in the dark behind me a rapist? Never mind, he's Asian.

I'm sorry for giving you guys false hope that you'd get 3 more weeks out of him

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

WHOOPS
Nov 6, 2009
Bradford (and Barr and Rhodes) are all listed as questionable for Sunday but expected to play vs the Steelers. Any of those guys being out dramatically reduces any chance the Vikings have to win.

tinstaach
Aug 3, 2010

MAGNetic AttITUDE

IcePhoenix posted:

Yeah, it's a pretty big jump from "good teams don't blow leads" to "good teams don't lose"

Yeah, but in both cases it's silly to conflate "good teams" and "good quarterbacks".

It is awfully cherry-picky, the linked article mentions Rodgers has two comebacks from being down 1. Why not just say he's 2-35 overall?

Johnny Five-Jaces
Jan 21, 2009

Packers have not won a SINGLE GAME in games where they have lost. Rodgers is DONE and a FRAUD

Ice Fist
Jun 20, 2012

^^ Please send feedback to beefstache911@hotmail.com, this is not a joke that 'stache is the real deal. Serious assessments only. ^^

Johnny Five-Jaces posted:

Packers have not won a SINGLE GAME in games where they have lost. Rodgers is DONE and a FRAUD

You can quote me on this: RG3 will be a better QB than Rodgers.

tinstaach
Aug 3, 2010

MAGNetic AttITUDE

Strong and cool Matthew Stafford has beaten the Green Bay Packers three times in his career, meanwhile lowly Aaron Rodgers has not beaten the Packers even one time!

Rod Hoofhearted
Jun 18, 2000

I am a ghost

I did a search to see what Aaron Rodger's WL vs winning teams was and here's what I found:

code:
Quarterback			Wins		Losses
Matthew Stafford		5		46
Aaron Rodgers			21		29
Tom Brady			50		33
Matt Ryan			17		22
Drew Brees			20		48
Russell Wilson			19		12
Got this from here: https://www.prideofdetroit.com/2017/7/18/15979628/matthew-stafford-record-vs-winning-teams-aaron-rodgers-drew-brees-tom-brady-matt-ryan

It's a pro-Lions site trying to argue that Stafford's 5-46 against winning teams is a bogus stat, but I think the above is pretty damning. No one said that in order to be a good quarterback you had to have a positive ratio, but it should be better than 10%.

Stafford's 5-46 is abysmal. Rodgers's 21-29 isn't great. Tom Brady's 50-33 is godlike. Russell Wilson's 19-12 is bullshit.

mastershakeman
Oct 28, 2008

by vyelkin
I bet Cutler has a winning records for winning teams that aren't the packers

although who cares mitch trubinsky has zero losses now that's what I'm talking about baby

Acebuckeye13
Nov 2, 2010
Ultra Carp

LabyaMynora posted:

I did a search to see what Aaron Rodger's WL vs winning teams was and here's what I found:

code:
Matthew Stafford		5		46
Aaron Rodgers			21		29
Tom Brady			50		33
Matt Ryan			17		22
Drew Brees			20		48
Russell Wilson			19		12
Got this from here: https://www.prideofdetroit.com/2017/7/18/15979628/matthew-stafford-record-vs-winning-teams-aaron-rodgers-drew-brees-tom-brady-matt-ryan

It's a pro-Lions site trying to argue that Stafford's 5-46 against winning teams is a bogus stat, but I think the above is pretty damning. No one said that in order to be a good quarterback you had to have a positive ratio, but it should be better than 10%.

Stafford's 5-46 is abysmal. Rodgers's 21-29 isn't great. Tom Brady's 50-33 is godlike. Russell Wilson's 19-12 is bullshit.

So are you suggesting that Russel Wilson is a better quarterback than Aaron Rodgers? Wins are a team statistic, and don't necessarily reflect on the abilities of the quarterback-especially when the rest of the roster is garbage. Stafford came into the league on the worst team in NFL history, playing against three different playoff contenders twice a year. Of course Stafford has a bad record against good teams, because the Lions were a bad team for a long time, and a highly inconsistent for years after that.

If you think Stafford's a bad QB, fine, and show me why you think he is. Don't just say "Oh well a 5-46 record is unacceptable" when any Lions fan will agree that the team was utter garbage Stafford's first few years (With 2011 being an overperformance against a soft schedule), and that the record would likely be 0-51 if it wasn't for Stafford's ability.

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

Acebuckeye13 posted:

So are you suggesting that Russel Wilson is a better quarterback than Aaron Rodgers? Wins are a team statistic, and don't necessarily reflect on the abilities of the quarterback-especially when the rest of the roster is garbage. Stafford came into the league on the worst team in NFL history, playing against three different playoff contenders twice a year. Of course Stafford has a bad record against good teams, because the Lions were a bad team for a long time, and a highly inconsistent for years after that.

If you think Stafford's a bad QB, fine, and show me why you think he is. Don't just say "Oh well a 5-46 record is unacceptable" when any Lions fan will agree that the team was utter garbage Stafford's first few years (With 2011 being an overperformance against a soft schedule), and that the record would likely be 0-51 if it wasn't for Stafford's ability.

What's Stafford's record against winning teams if you limit for only years where the Lions were good?

augias
Apr 7, 2009

SKULL.GIF posted:

What's Stafford's record against winning teams if you limit for only years where the Lions were good?

Lions.... Good?

nah
Mar 16, 2009

SKULL.GIF posted:

#DIV/0! error

Blotto Skorzany
Nov 7, 2008

He's a PSoC, loose and runnin'
came the whisper from each lip
And he's here to do some business with
the bad ADC on his chip
bad ADC on his chiiiiip

186 posted:

Two guaranteed wins against the Packers.

Are you SV after a namechange? I've been off the forums for a year or so and now I hardly recognize people outside of the Eliminator thread :(

Acebuckeye13
Nov 2, 2010
Ultra Carp

SKULL.GIF posted:

If you limit it to winning seasons, 2-17 (0-6 2011, 1-5 2014, 1-6 2016)

Or, more accurately,

augias posted:

Lions.... Good?

Edit: If you limit it to just the past three Caldwell years (Overall record: 27-23), you end up with a 3-18 record against winning teams. Progress! :toot:

Acebuckeye13 fucked around with this message at 01:16 on Sep 16, 2017

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

Acebuckeye13 posted:

If you limit it to winning seasons, 2-17 (0-6 2011, 1-5 2014, 1-6 2016)

Honestly, that's impressive in a way. The Stafford Lions reliably crush bad teams? How often do good teams inexplicably lose against inferior teams? Look at the 2011 Packers and 2007 Patriots.

10-0, 10-0, 8-1 in these three years against non-winning teams.

Shangri-Law School
Feb 19, 2013

They've beaten quite a few teams that went 8-8, including the Tebow Broncos.

The only road win against a winning team was the 2015 Lambeau game, still one of the weirdest things I've ever seen.

Rod Hoofhearted
Jun 18, 2000

I am a ghost

Acebuckeye13 posted:

So are you suggesting that Russel Wilson is a better quarterback than Aaron Rodgers?

If you think Stafford's a bad QB, fine, and show me why you think he is.

In my opinion, Russell Wilson is not a better QB than Aaron Rodgers, but he's a luckier one. As the saying goes, sometimes it's better to be lucky than good. The Fail Mary game alone swings one win from Russell to Aaron.

I also don't think Matt Stafford is a bad QB, but I don't think he should be the highest paid player in the league or whatever. It seems ridiculous on its face. Yeah, you could say, well a lot of other teams would've paid him that, therefore that's his worth on the market. I don't think overpaying mediocre QBs and making them the highest player in the league is sustainable. It sucks enough when a Super Bowl winning QB like Flacco gets it, but now a guy who hasn't won a playoff game gets to be highest paid in the league? That's bullshit.

Also - the argument that his team has sucked is suspect. He had Calvin Johnson and Suh, for example. Put those two players on the Packers and Aaron Rodgers would have 2 more rings.

AsInHowe
Jan 11, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 6 hours!
The Lions consistently lose to every team that finishes better than them, and beat every team that finishes worse.

Essentially, the Lions are perennially 9th in the NFC. When they get a strong schedule, they end up in 12th place, play other weak teams next year, and sneak into the playoffs, before the cycle begins anew.

Acebuckeye13
Nov 2, 2010
Ultra Carp

LabyaMynora posted:

In my opinion, Russell Wilson is not a better QB than Aaron Rodgers, but he's a luckier one. As the saying goes, sometimes it's better to be lucky than good. The Fail Mary game alone swings one win from Russell to Aaron.

I also don't think Matt Stafford is a bad QB, but I don't think he should be the highest paid player in the league or whatever. It seems ridiculous on its face. Yeah, you could say, well a lot of other teams would've paid him that, therefore that's his worth on the market. I don't think overpaying mediocre QBs and making them the highest player in the league is sustainable. It sucks enough when a Super Bowl winning QB like Flacco gets it, but now a guy who hasn't won a playoff game gets to be highest paid in the league? That's bullshit.

Also - the argument that his team has sucked is suspect. He had Calvin Johnson and Suh, for example. Put those two players on the Packers and Aaron Rodgers would have 2 more rings.

Can you name literally any other player on the Lions from 2009 to 2013? Suh and Johnson were terrific players. They were also the only good players on the Lions aside from Stafford and the loving kicker, which is why the Lions went 4-12 even when Johnson was breaking the single-season receiving record.

edit: :rip: Jason Hanson

Rod Hoofhearted
Jun 18, 2000

I am a ghost

Ziggy Ansah? Golden Tate? Cliff Avril? Did they have a RB named Abdullah that seemed good for a while? Or are they after 2013? I honestly don't know, not being sarcastic.

AsInHowe
Jan 11, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 6 hours!

Acebuckeye13 posted:

Can you name literally any other player on the Lions from 2009 to 2013? Suh and Johnson were terrific players. They were also the only good players on the Lions aside from Stafford and the loving kicker, which is why the Lions went 4-12 even when Johnson was breaking the single-season receiving record.

edit: :rip: Jason Hanson

kyle vanden bosch

Q_res
Oct 29, 2005

We're fucking built for this shit!
The Lions haven't had an effective running game literally the entire time Stafford has played for them, nor have they had an effective defensive secondary for most, in not all of that time. He singlehandedly drug that team to wins last year, repeatedly. Is he overpaid, probably, but I don't understand what planet you're from to be arguing that he's "mediocre". I'd seriously consider the possibility that he's a Top 10 QB, regardless of the playoff results.

tinstaach
Aug 3, 2010

MAGNetic AttITUDE

LabyaMynora posted:

Ziggy Ansah? Golden Tate? Cliff Avril? Did they have a RB named Abdullah that seemed good for a while? Or are they after 2013? I honestly don't know, not being sarcastic.

All post-2013 except for Avril. I don't remember him being all that, but PFR has him getting 39.5 sacks and forcing 16 fumbles in his five years in Detroit, which probably makes him the best Lions defender of that era.

Acebuckeye13
Nov 2, 2010
Ultra Carp

LabyaMynora posted:

Ziggy was drafted in 2013, replacing Avril when he left for the Seahawks that year. Tate was picked up in 2014, and Abdullah was drafted in 2015.

Lions players from that period, however, include:

-2010 1st Round Pick Jahvid Best, who played a season and a half before taking a career-ending concussion.
-2011 2nd Round Pick Titus Young, who was a great #2 receiver until he started intentionally running the wrong routes because he thought he was better than Calvin Johnson and getting into fistfights in the locker room. Currently serving a prison sentence for armed robbery.
-Four receivers in 2012 who weren't Calvin Johnson, none of whom you've heard of and none of which are still in the league (Though Kris Durham is currently playing in the Italian football league, good for him)
-Long-running center Dominic "Good for a personal foul penalty right at the worst loving moment, every time" Raiola
-As mentioned, the decaying corpse of Kyle Vanden Bosch
-The constantly underperforming Nick Fairley, which in retrospect potentially makes more sense now considering his recently diagnosed debilitating heart condition

So, yeah. Not exactly some talent-infused teams right there, to put it lightly. And the only reason why they were ever competitive to begin with was because of Stafford, especially in the early years. The man had a bad habit of throwing picks, but man, he just did not give up on games, and still doesn't.

Is he worth $27 million a year? Debatable. Is he worth whatever price it takes to keep him on the Lions? Without loving question.

Acebuckeye13 fucked around with this message at 03:24 on Sep 16, 2017

Shangri-Law School
Feb 19, 2013

Stafford's contract takes up a lower percentage of the salary cap than Flacco's post-Super Bowl one did. Honestly, he could have gotten more if he wanted. As long as the cap keeps going up it won't be a problem. Cue the cap never increasing again.

Soothing Vapors
Mar 26, 2006

Associate Justice Lena "Kegels" Dunham: An uncool thought to have: 'is that guy walking in the dark behind me a rapist? Never mind, he's Asian.

Blotto Skorzany posted:

Are you SV after a namechange? I've been off the forums for a year or so and now I hardly recognize people outside of the Eliminator thread :(

nope that's Shaft after a namechange, the last remaining holder of the sparkcrotch avatar

WHOOPS
Nov 6, 2009
Stafford is worth $27m/year cause the alternative is having Not Stafford at QB.

Aaaaaaarrrrrggggg
Oct 4, 2004

ha, ha, ha, og me ekam

Blotto Skorzany posted:

Nope, but I wish I was.

Soothing Vapors posted:

nope that's Shaft after a namechange, the last remaining holder of the sparkcrotch avatar

:wink:

Detroit_Dogg
Feb 2, 2008
Aaron Rodgers is gay and lame and oh please cum in me Aaron PLEASE I NEED IT OH STAFFORD YOUR COCK IS NOT WORTHY ONLY THE GAYEST RODGERS PRICK CAN SATISFY MY DESPERATE THROAT

WHOOPS posted:

Boat or mystery box

Paint Crop Pro
Mar 22, 2007

Find someone who values you like Rick Spielman values 7th round picks.

LabyaMynora posted:

code:
Matthew Stafford		5		46
Aaron Rodgers			21		29
Tom Brady			50		33
Matt Ryan			17		22
Drew Brees			20		48
Russell Wilson			19		12

Belicheck and Carroll good + coaches, McCarthy is not, and the revolving door of coaches Stafford has had to play with have not been. :thunk:

howe_sam
Mar 7, 2013

Creepy little garbage eaters

OxySnake posted:

Belicheck and Carroll good + coaches, McCarthy is not, and the revolving door of coaches Stafford has had to play with have not been. :thunk:

Revolving door? Two head coaches, and three offensive coordinators over eight season isn't all that unstable. Certainly not compared to the Millen years.

Yaws
Oct 23, 2013

WHOOPS posted:

No kidding.

You get a pretty good QB like Stafford you loving lock him down.

BGrifter
Mar 16, 2007

Winner of Something Awful PS5 thread's Posting Excellence Award June 2022

Congratulations!
In my mind it boils down to whether Stafford and 3-5 picks in the 15-20 range are worth more than 3-5 picks in the top three and the cap space. The Lions have done well with their last three high picks (Stafford, Suh and Megatron) but QBs are such a crapshoot it's probably not worth the risk. They could easily end up with another Joey Harrington.

mastershakeman
Oct 28, 2008

by vyelkin
since we keep talk about stafford's record vs winning teams being so bad i figured cutler's would suck but he was 5-10 in denver and 12-37 in chicago, 17-47 overall

woof thats a lot of losses

TITTIEKISSER69
Mar 19, 2005

SAVE THE BEES
PLANT MORE TREES
CLEAN THE SEAS
KISS TITTIESS

1 more than Stafford. Not bad for having been drafted what, 3 or 4 years prior?

Hizawk
Jun 18, 2004

High on the Lions.

Stafford is going 16-0, throwing 50+ TDs 5k yards, super bowl win this year.

He will have only faced teams with losing records or 8-8, and meet all the 8-8 teams in the playoffs and super bowl to keep this dumb narrative going forever.

Chris James 2
Aug 9, 2012

Vikings promoted QB Kyle Slotet to active roster from practice squad. Sam Bradford remains questionable.

A Gnarlacious Bro
Apr 25, 2007

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Hizawk posted:

Stafford is going 16-0, throwing 50+ TDs 5k yards, super bowl win this year.

He will have only faced teams with losing records or 8-8, and meet all the 8-8 teams in the playoffs and super bowl to keep this dumb narrative going forever.

This is my heartfelt wish every year

GenericMartini
Oct 22, 2012

AYYYYY PAPI
We get closer and closer to a Case Keenum start, and it's a good thing I might have something else to do that day.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

WHOOPS
Nov 6, 2009
I'll be bummed if Bradford's out because obviously i'd like to win but this does feel like an ideal game to sit him as a precaution if they're that concerned about his knee. Early in the season, non-conference away game... not going to be bummed if they lose (since they're rightly an underdog even with Bradford).

certainly the right kind of irony that last season, with a ravaged line that couldn't block anything, Bradford didn't miss a snap, and then in one game he has a flare up even though the protection held up great and he took no noticeable hits.

• Locked thread