Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Memnaelar
Feb 21, 2013

WHO is the goodest girl?
Cerebria is on Kickstarter. It's the newest game from Mindclash (Trickerion, Anachrony). It looks pretty incredible and as dense as their previous two games.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

djfooboo
Oct 16, 2004

Memnaelar posted:

Cerebria is on Kickstarter. It's the newest game from Mindclash (Trickerion, Anachrony). It looks pretty incredible and as dense as their previous two games.

Played at Gencon, it's deceptively light, just has a TON of fiddliness. It's certainly a game that didn't trim any fat in favor of elegance.

kinkouin
Nov 7, 2014

djfooboo posted:

Played at Gencon, it's deceptively light, just has a TON of fiddliness. It's certainly a game that didn't trim any fat in favor of elegance.

What do you mean by "fiddliness"?

djfooboo
Oct 16, 2004

kinkouin posted:

What do you mean by "fiddliness"?

The mechanisms are easy to miss and your inferred boardstate is ruined if you miss something. For instance, each of the 10 zones you are vying for control give you special powers that are easy to forget about. Each card has a special ability located on the bottom of the card, each gem from the center board has a special ability, you have a board movement aspect that seems tacked on to sell miniatures, it adds nothing to the game besides frustration in the fact that it take 2/3+ turns to get to the other side.

Like I said, they just didn't cut any fat. Plenty of people will love it, but I am probably not one of them. I prefer a game that isn't filled with exception rules.

Flavivirus
Dec 14, 2011

The next stage of evolution.
So the Iron Sky RPG kickstarter is pretty garbage - no surprises there - but it's actually incredible how pervasive the rubbish goes. First up, they're using their own generic d1000 system that counts kickstarter in 10th-of-a-second ticks for a game of pulp nazi-fighting, which is questionable.

Then you have the layout example, which they explictly say they made worse - adding hyphens everywhere and darkening the background - so that nobody pirates the two pages of layout.

And then you have the character sheet - because of course your nazi-fighting game needs to track your Family and House skill alongside your Crafts skill and your Hobbies and Recreation skill, as well as having separate boxes for Real Age and Apparent Age:

And to top that all off, here's the bio of the project runner.

quote:

Dirk Vandereyken cites several pivotal events leading up to his life as a journalist, writer, actor and PR consultant, the first of which is a class presentation about 'The Lord of the Rings' that Dirk witnessed when he was 10 years old. Shortly after the presentation, Dirk ran to the library and took out the collected works of Tolkien, devouring 'The Lord of the Rings' in only 2 weeks' time. He had come into contact with role-playing games one year before and had now found a common link, which led him to join a club of mature tabletop gamers.

At age 11, Dirk wrote 'IJs de verloren planeet', a science fantasy novel. The novel was published 3 years later, making Dirk Belgium's youngest (SF) author ever. At age 15, Dirk applied to become Regional Director for the Role-Playing Game Association Network for Belgium and soon landed the job. Seizing the opportunity to visit England and the United States at least a few times a year, the young author had to call in sick at school quite often, leading to his classmates sending him a postcard which stated: 'Congratulations with your 55th day of absence!' Dirk often cites his supportive parents as the main reason why he was able to develop his personality and skills, and gain the necessary contacts and experience to make his name known in the world of RPG's and the media.

Dirk started to study hypnosis in England and continued his education as a hypnotherapist in Belgium. Since this wasn't an academic study, he also added psychology at university, but quit after a few years because he didn't think it was making him a better therapist and because he saw too many of his fellow students get a degree without having the social skills and creativity Dirk deems necessary to be an excellent therapist. He chose to pursue a private education instead, delving into Neuro-Linguistig Programming, Hellinger family constellations, Stephen Gilligan's Self Relations, Ericksonian speech and Facial Action Coding System.

Over the years, Dirk had been the driving force behind fanzines 'The Fighting Bard' and 'Mandragon' and he soon became a true accredited journalist, working for dozens of print magazines and websites. He still works for a lot of different publications, some of which are his own.

Dirk's latest two novels, 'Fates Worse Than Death: Hunter' and 'Baour, Strands of Death', were published in print by Vajra Enterprises and BlackWyrm Books, respectively. He has also worked behind the scenes for several movies, sometimes as a ghost script writer, sometimes as an actors' director, sometimes as a martial arts choreographer and sometimes as a PR consultant. Before starting to handle the PR for movie companies and theatrical releases, he did the PR for the Belgian releases of DVD's and Blu-rays such as 'The Black Dahlia Murders', some of the 'Saw' films, 'Gravedancers', 'Minotaur', a re-release of 'Le fabuleux destin d'Amelie Poulain', many other films and National Geographic and Discovery Channel documentaries.. Dirk isn't only responsible for the public relations for several movie companies, but also for certain events, bands, artists, a beauty institute, CrossFit and more. Dirk also teaches acting, communication, hypnosis, NLP, lie detection, presentation and debating techniques and more. He is an accomplished martial artist, singer and songwriter as well, having fronted his own band in the past. Dirk has returned to the music business and is planning to one day mount a true progressive power metal musical in Las Vegas.

Flavivirus fucked around with this message at 11:14 on Sep 13, 2017

Mojo Jojo
Sep 21, 2005

djfooboo posted:

Fiddly is the common thread between Mindclash's games. I still love Trickerion but I do sort of wish it had been through a trim to avoid the pre first turn silent planning ten minutes and the set up time

Vaguido
Feb 22, 2011

When the drug test comes back positive for performance enhancing drugs.
There's a new kickstarter for a hidden role game called Human Punishment that seems pretty okay. It looks like a more streamlined version of Bang. I'm mostly backing it because the art really caught my eye, but it looks like it will at least be a decent social deduction game.

Flavivirus
Dec 14, 2011

Vaguido posted:

There's a new kickstarter for a hidden role game called Human Punishment that seems pretty okay. It looks like a more streamlined version of Bang. I'm mostly backing it because the art really caught my eye, but it looks like it will at least be a decent social deduction game.

Oh lord, that's the fifth kickstarter in the last few months to use the same stock artist. I'm not going to rubbish them - I was one of those five! - but it's getting a little wearying seeing the same art over and over. Just, y'know, don't expect the quality of the artwork to be in any way reflected in the layout and graphic design.

Flavivirus fucked around with this message at 14:14 on Sep 13, 2017

Peas and Rice
Jul 14, 2004

Honor and profit.

Wow. Just wow.

Echophonic
Sep 16, 2005

ha;lp
Gun Saliva

Vaguido posted:

It's looks like a weird blend of Good Cop Bad Cop, Werewolf, and Bang. I thought it just looked like GCBC, but then I saw everyone had a role and it has the potential for neutral players. Looks interesting if your group's played all the relevant games. I'd be worried about first-time social deduction game players, though.

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

What a horrible thread to have a post.

Sounds like this guy would be a hoot to hang out with. Wouldn't recommend backing his project though.

LongDarkNight
Oct 25, 2010

It's like watching the collapse of Western civilization in fast forward.
Oven Wrangler

Doesn't Raven CS McCraken have a similarly ridiculous resume or am I thinking of some other terrible game designer?

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

LongDarkNight posted:

Doesn't Raven CS McCraken have a similarly ridiculous resume or am I thinking of some other terrible game designer?

Yes. So did the Senzar dudes.

Mors Rattus
Oct 25, 2007

FATAL & Friends
Walls of Text
#1 Builder
2014-2018

I'm pretty sure the SenZar dudes deliberately puffed theirs up for laughs tho. I really wish I could find a copy of SenZar.

cyberia
Jun 24, 2011

Do not call me that!
Snuffles was my slave name.
You shall now call me Snowball; because my fur is pretty and white.
Have you ever wanted to play a Pacific Rim board game? War Titans is for you! I haven't looked at it too deeply so it might be terrible but worth checking out for anyone who is into mechs and kaiju.

Flavivirus posted:

Oh lord, that's the fifth kickstarter in the last few months to use the same stock artist. I'm not going to rubbish them - I was one of those five! - but it's getting a little wearying seeing the same art over and over. Just, y'know, don't expect the quality of the artwork to be in any way reflected in the layout and graphic design.

What other projects have used this artist? Human Punishment caught my eye solely because of the art and I'd like to check out some more examples of it.

JazzFlight
Apr 29, 2006

Oooooooooooh!

cyberia posted:

Have you ever wanted to play a Pacific Rim board game? War Titans is for you! I haven't looked at it too deeply so it might be terrible but worth checking out for anyone who is into mechs and kaiju.

What other projects have used this artist? Human Punishment caught my eye solely because of the art and I'd like to check out some more examples of it.
I was into War Titans when they first launched, but the price is way too high for me for what you get. The board's pretty ugly, too. I do like the knock-off model designs, though.

Flavivirus
Dec 14, 2011

cyberia posted:

Let's see...

My one was Legacy: Life Among the Ruins 2e, though I'm actually commissioning the artist to make new pieces thanks to stretch goals. Pre-orders coming soon!
The Veil: Cascade has a few pieces.
Hellscapes was about doing post-apocalyptic stories in D&D 5e.
And Identeco is doing some kind of cyberpunk rpg thing.

Falstaff
Apr 27, 2008

I have a kind of alacrity in sinking.

Not sure if this best goes here or in the Industry thread, but apparently the Paranoia kickstarter has hit another snag, this time relating to one of the planned adventures/stretch goals:

Mongoose posted:

Here at Mongoose HQ, we have all but given up on Ultraviolent. It is hellishly late, every self-imposed deadline Mr Wallis has given us for it has been broken, and now communication has ceased altogether. For the past few months, we have only been able to reach Mr Wallis via another writer (which is a ridiculous situation for grown adults to be in), and the last thing we heard was 'there are only 3,000 words to go'. That was a couple of months ago.

So the bad news is... we are now considering Ultraviolent to be a dead project.

Given the delays the Paranoia Kickstarter has endured (almost all of which have come from this one source), along with posts I have been reading on RPG.net of delays in other projects Mr Wallis is involved in, I do not believe we will ever see it.

I find it a little odd, given that it was my understanding that Ultraviolent was supposed to be written by John Wick, so I'm not sure when it switched to Wallis.

dwarf74
Sep 2, 2012

Buglord

Falstaff posted:

Not sure if this best goes here or in the Industry thread, but apparently the Paranoia kickstarter has hit another snag, this time relating to one of the planned adventures/stretch goals:

I find it a little odd, given that it was my understanding that Ultraviolent was supposed to be written by John Wick, so I'm not sure when it switched to Wallis.
I'm stunned that the Alas Vegas guy is bad with deadlines and communications.

potatocubed
Jul 26, 2012

*rathian noises*

dwarf74 posted:

I think his excuse for that was 'my friend died in a horribly similar way to something I'd just written' and I'm willing to believe that will mess someone up enough to delay KS fulfillment.

Vox Valentine
May 31, 2013

Solving all of life's problems through enhanced casting of Occam's Razor. Reward yourself with an imaginary chalice.

"John Wick's Paranoia module" was something I absolutely didn't want to happen so it sucks that they got someone else to do it and it's not happening anyway.

Memnaelar
Feb 21, 2013

WHO is the goodest girl?

dwarf74 posted:

It's a real bummer. I mean, he finally did get that PDF out and it was pretty great. He got a lot of praise and really seemed re-energized and thankful.

But now, the print books are still in limbo and the other work he's pledging to do is also falling by the wayside. It's a real shame, as he's clearly talented and does seem to care very much about the work. Whatever other issues he's dealing with personally, they must be pretty crippling.

Thranguy
Apr 21, 2010

Deceitful and black-hearted, perhaps we are. But we would never go against the Code. Well, perhaps for good reasons. But mostly never.
Is Steve Jackson Games actually kickstarting an illuminati-themed CaH playalike, or is there something more to Conspiracy Theory than is apparent on a first glance?

Mors Rattus
Oct 25, 2007

FATAL & Friends
Walls of Text
#1 Builder
2014-2018

Munchkin's well can't be running dry, can it?

Alien Rope Burn
Dec 5, 2004

I wanna be a saikyo HERO!

Thranguy posted:

Is Steve Jackson Games actually kickstarting an illuminati-themed CaH playalike, or is there something more to Conspiracy Theory than is apparent on a first glance?

Nope. He just keeps describing it as a "black card, white card" game. Presuming no shenanigans, it is exactly that.

Hopefully this helps helps encourage the Illuminati remake which is supposedly next year, but hell, I'm still waiting on the next edition of Car Wars they said would be coming. When were they supposed to start working on that? 2013? My well of trust is looking awfully dry, Steve.

(Instead they rereleased the car wars card game which is easily one of the worst games they've ever done.)

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

But how does it taste? Yummy!
Dinosaur Gum

potatocubed posted:

I think his excuse for that was 'my friend died in a horribly similar way to something I'd just written' and I'm willing to believe that will mess someone up enough to delay KS fulfillment.

That was one of his two dozen or so excuses for why Alas, Vegas was delayed.

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!

Memnaelar posted:

It's a real bummer. I mean, he finally did get that PDF out and it was pretty great. He got a lot of praise and really seemed re-energized and thankful.

But now, the print books are still in limbo and the other work he's pledging to do is also falling by the wayside. It's a real shame, as he's clearly talented and does seem to care very much about the work. Whatever other issues he's dealing with personally, they must be pretty crippling.

Kickstarter must be the most effective vector ever for the spread of serious, life crippling health issues.

malkav11
Aug 7, 2009
It's possible I just missed an earlier post about it, but the expected Doomtown Reloaded relaunch Kickstarter from Pinnacle is up and apparently has been for several days:
https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/545820095/doomtown-reloaded-there-comes-a-reckoning?ref=email

They're mainly Kickstarting a new expansion, but you can snag a "trunk" for storing the base game and all the addon card sets as well as dividers and the new expansion at the $50 tier, $75 throws in the base game as well, and you can if you so desire drop $250 to get the whole shebang including all of the previous Saddlebag and Pine Box addon releases put out by Alderac before the game was shuttered. Or you can pick them up piecemeal as addons, $10 per Saddlebag, $15 per Pine Box. Also there will be Doomtown-specific content for the Deadlands RPG thrown in at pretty nearly every backer tier (in PDF, so far as I can tell), errataed card reprints, etc.

Edit: Actually, looks like at the $50 tier and up you're getting the Deadlands Doomtown sourcebook in print, as well as the revised card game rulebook (which at low tiers is PDF only). Probably the adventures and other ancillary RPG-related stretch goal stuff will remain PDF/be a print addon.

malkav11 fucked around with this message at 01:32 on Sep 16, 2017

theironjef
Aug 11, 2009

The archmage of unexpected stinks.

Alien Rope Burn posted:

Nope. He just keeps describing it as a "black card, white card" game. Presuming no shenanigans, it is exactly that.

Hopefully this helps helps encourage the Illuminati remake which is supposedly next year, but hell, I'm still waiting on the next edition of Car Wars they said would be coming. When were they supposed to start working on that? 2013? My well of trust is looking awfully dry, Steve.

(Instead they rereleased the car wars card game which is easily one of the worst games they've ever done.)

Hey, it could have been Car Wars Munchkin.

Or wait, does that exist already? It would almost be weird if it didn't.

Alien Rope Burn
Dec 5, 2004

theironjef posted:

Hey, it could have been Car Wars Munchkin.

Or wait, does that exist already? It would almost be weird if it didn't.

There isn't, actually, because Steve Jackson Games seems really reluctant to revisit Car Wars for whatever reason. And Car Wars: the Card Game isn't any better - it's another facile "take that!" sort of game, only minus the puns and Kolavic art. You draw weapon cards that can target the various sides or tires of a car or defense cards to counter attacks - and that's most of the game. There's some ongoing equipment like armor that you play in advance of attacks but it's exceedingly random and doesn't really have much strategy you can employ other than working out who to dick over and who you can convince not to dick you over - much like Munchkin.

The reprint version was a kickstarter bonus for backing the Car Wars Arena Book kickstarter and about the best thing I can say about it is somebody was willing to buy my copy.

Jimbozig
Sep 30, 2003

I like sharing and ice cream and animals.

Memnaelar posted:

I'm torn. On the one hand, I have every sympathy for life's lovely garbage getting in the way of writing.

On the other hand, you have to be aware of your limitations and not commit to multiple things if you can't follow through on any of them. If my daughter didn't have cancer, I would have run a Strike! expansion Kickstarter over the summer. I didn't because I know that if things get bad, I wouldn't be able to meet my publishing obligations and deadlines. I am writing several game things at once, but I have promised nobody anything and nobody expects anything of me.

But then on the gripping hand, I have a "real" job outside of writing (actually three part time jobs because labor is dead). I don't know about Wallis, but if he is a full time RPG writer, he may not have the freedom to turn down paying work.

So I dunno. I can't be too judgemental. It sucks that he can't finish his work. It sucks for his fans and customers, for his partners, and for him because it will presumably gently caress up his future prospects. It just sucks all around.

Kung Fu Fist Fuck
Aug 9, 2009
this is amazing

quote:

28mm Army of Spartacus (Canceled) [Submitted by Foundry Miniatures Ltd.]

Date: 2017-08-13T09:58:02.000-04:00

Sender
[Private]
Foundry Miniatures Ltd.
The Carriage Court, Stoke Hall, Church Lane, East Stoke
Newark, Nottinghamshire NG235QF
GB

Sent via online form

Recipient
Kickstarter, PBC
58 Kent Street
Brooklyn, NY 11222
USA

Re: 28mm Army of Spartacus (Canceled)

Description of copyrighted material: Miniature figurines

Description of infringing material: INFRINGEMENT OF FOUNDRY MINIATURES LTD. COPYRIGHT I am writing to you because you have published a Kickstarter called “28mm Army of Spartacus”. All the miniatures pictured in your Spartacus Kickstarter are an infringement of Foundry Miniatures Ltd. copyright. The Spartacus range in your Kickstarter has been created using Foundry Miniatures Ltd. models, dolls and component parts that breach our copyright. Many of them are complete existing Foundry figures with the heads swapped for heads from other existing Foundry models. You have even pirated the exact same separate weapons, shields and horses that we supply with these models. The models in your Spartacus Kickstarter have all been created using models and component parts that were sculpted by Mark Copplestone for Guernsey Foundry Ltd. and/or Foundry Miniatures Ltd. All of the models, including greens, dolls and component parts that were sculpted by Mark Copplestone for Guernsey Foundry Ltd. and Foundry Miniatures Ltd. are the exclusive copyright of Foundry Miniatures Ltd. All of the models sculpted by Mark Copplestone for Guernsey Foundry Ltd. and Foundry Miniatures Ltd. continue to be manufactured and sold by Foundry Miniatures Ltd. under our trading names of Wargames Foundry, Warmonger Miniatures, Casting Room Miniatures and Foundry Collectables. The only reason for greens, dolls or component parts to ever leave the Foundry premises is for use in official Foundry Miniatures Ltd. models by sculptors who work for Foundry from home. All the greens, dolls and component parts remain the property of Foundry Miniatures Ltd. They are not the property of the sculptor. The Spartacus range that appears in your Kickstarter was originally pirated by Douggie Cameron who claims he had been sold the Foundry Miniatures master castings, greens, dolls and component parts by an employee of Foundry Miniatures Ltd. Foundry Miniatures Ltd. has never sold, loaned or gifted any master castings, greens, dolls or component parts and has never sold, loaned or gifted any models with the rights to produce them. The Foundry Miniatures Ltd. master castings, greens, dolls and component parts used to create the Spartacus range advertised in your Kickstarter have been created using stolen goods that are Copyright Foundry Miniatures Ltd. The exact same Spartacus range was briefly pirated by Aventine Miniatures in 2012. Aventine Miniatures immediately removed the entire range from sale when we ordered samples from their website using our Foundry Miniatures Ltd. business address. We did not take legal action against Aventine Miniatures because they immediately removed this range from sale on their website and because we believed that they were an innocent third party who had been tricked into producing the range by Douggie Cameron. We require you to immediately delete the Spartacus Kickstarter, cease any other sales or advertising of these models and make a public apology on the internet forums that you have used to advertise your Kickstarter acknowledging that the models are Copyright Foundry Miniatures Ltd. We require you to send us all of the greens, master castings, dolls and component parts that were used to produce the Spartacus range. They are stolen goods. They are the property of Foundry Miniatures Ltd. We require you to either provide evidence of the destruction of any master moulds and production moulds of the Spartacus range or send them to us to destroy. The intended use of these moulds can only be to breach our copyright. We will hold you liable, in part or in full, for any further breach of our copyright by any third party using the materials currently in your possession. If this breach of our copyright is not resolved by 4pm BST on Friday 18th August 2017 we will instruct solicitors to take action against you. We will hold you liable for all our legal costs in relation to this matter. We reserve all our rights in this matter. Your faithfully Diane Ansell Managing Director Foundry Miniatures Ltd.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."
SU&SD are doing another expansion for a game, this time the Metagame.

DalaranJ
Apr 15, 2008

Yosuke will now die for you.

Alien Rope Burn posted:

Nope. He just keeps describing it as a "black card, white card" game.

That seems a little unfair to apples to apples.

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

Phil Brucato's Powerchords, which may be the only high-profile RPG kickstarter that was later than Far West, finally delivered today after funding in 2010, a year before Far West. Admittedly, I don't know what problems Powerchords had that caused it to take so drat long, but hey.

Bieeanshee
Aug 21, 2000

Not keen on keening.

Grimey Drawer
Jesus, I'd love to see a Behind the Music on that one.

Mors Rattus
Oct 25, 2007

FATAL & Friends
Walls of Text
#1 Builder
2014-2018

It being written by an actual insane person probably didn't help it, nor his many other writing commitments in that time (he oversaw the whole of Mage 20th Anniversary Edition).

Alien Rope Burn
Dec 5, 2004

The webcomic that game was based on ended four years ago, and the domain is now being squatted by an anti-divorce screed. :v:

malkav11
Aug 7, 2009

Evil Mastermind posted:

Phil Brucato's Powerchords, which may be the only high-profile RPG kickstarter that was later than Far West, finally delivered today after funding in 2010, a year before Far West. Admittedly, I don't know what problems Powerchords had that caused it to take so drat long, but hey.

Wow. 7 years and only 55 comments.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

malkav11 posted:

Wow. 7 years and only 55 comments.

They didn't want to distract him.