Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
TenCentFang
Sep 5, 2017

by Nyc_Tattoo

Gaz-L posted:

Something about characters that traditionally ride horses, riding motorcycles just works. I think it's half the reason Wynonna Earp works on TV. Cowgirl on bike is just cool.

She's a cowgirl, on a steel horse she rides. And I've not read the comic, but if she's still like a female Conan, then she must certainly be wanted dead or alive.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

TenCentFang posted:

She's a cowgirl, on a steel horse she rides. And I've not read the comic, but if she's still like a female Conan, then she must certainly be wanted dead or alive.

She's hunting down a biker gang that deals drugs (and maybe in human trafficking also? ) and thus the DEA is after her.

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
*woosh*

Zoro
Aug 30, 2017

by Smythe
Semi-political and maybe not worth throwing here, but, apparently, some media outlets with a right-wing bent are lambasting Superman for stopping a factory shooting.

https://twitter.com/CraigRozniecki/status/908719064012525568

Maybe this happens a lot, but first time I've heard of tv news stations lambasting comic books for having superheroes, well, be superheroes.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Zoro posted:

Semi-political and maybe not worth throwing here, but, apparently, some media outlets with a right-wing bent are lambasting Superman for stopping a factory shooting.

https://twitter.com/CraigRozniecki/status/908719064012525568

Maybe this happens a lot, but first time I've heard of tv news stations lambasting comic books for having superheroes, well, be superheroes.

People seem to have forgotten that Superman is an immigrant.

Madkal
Feb 11, 2008

Fallen Rib
Hold on. Are they saying Superman should have let those workers be killed? Do they think Superman regularly let's gunmen kill people because those people who are being shot at are from another country? Do these murderous idiots even know who Superman is?

Zoro
Aug 30, 2017

by Smythe

Madkal posted:

Hold on. Are they saying Superman should have let those workers be killed? Do they think Superman regularly let's gunmen kill people because those people who are being shot at are from another country? Do these murderous idiots even know who Superman is?

Considering one of the outfits criticizing was Briebart, then, yes, they would want Superman to let the gunmen kill those people because "they were illegal" and "to secure a future for our race." Fox News wants Superman to do the same thing, but would try to hide their intentions better...and fail at it.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

That's the best kind of propaganda.

It's 110% Superman, something nobody sane could argue is a bad thing to do, and it still makes the other guys look like morons.

Aphrodite fucked around with this message at 18:51 on Sep 15, 2017

A Strange Aeon
Mar 26, 2010

You are now a slimy little toad
The Great Twist
For some reason that Superman thing reminded me of when comics showed up in pop culture, before they actually WERE pop culture. I mean comics always were popular culture, but not like today with all the Marvel movies and TV shows. Like, there was a Rancid song I loved listening to growing up:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nP_nc8bS76I

"Wolverine was sad and it made him mad / every single cop got a bullet in the head"

A bit off-model, but still interesting as a kid into punk and comics to see a crossover like that.

TenCentFang
Sep 5, 2017

by Nyc_Tattoo
Look up yonder in the sky, now, what is that I pray?
It's a bird, it's a plane, it's a man insane, it's my President LBJ

Comics being fiercely guarded by right-wing assholes is a shockingly new development. See also: Sad Puppies, who think Sci-Fi has just now stopped being pew pew laser fights in favor of political discourse.

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

I'M HAVING A HOOT EATING CORNETTE THE LONG WAY
Trimp!!

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

A Strange Aeon posted:

For some reason that Superman thing reminded me of when comics showed up in pop culture, before they actually WERE pop culture. I mean comics always were popular culture, but not like today with all the Marvel movies and TV shows. Like, there was a Rancid song I loved listening to growing up:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nP_nc8bS76I

"Wolverine was sad and it made him mad / every single cop got a bullet in the head"

A bit off-model, but still interesting as a kid into punk and comics to see a crossover like that.

Comics have been pretty deeply ingrained into pop culture, in certain ways more intrinsically than they are now. Adventures in Babysitting and The Ice Storm use Thor and The Fantastic Four as tools to either advance the plot or add emotional depth to a character for instance. Pink Floyd made some references to Dr. Strange in the late 60's, a bunch of different rappers have references to comic books in their music, The Ramones covered the theme to Spider-Man.

And of course the biggie That time Superman defeated the KKK

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

There was a Grant Morrison digital sale a little while ago so I picked up several volumes and read through them through the last few days.

I think I caused myself a brain injury

Lightning Lord
Feb 21, 2013

$200 a day, plus expenses

People acting like Morrison's writing is an alien language will never stop being funny to me.

A Strange Aeon
Mar 26, 2010

The Great Twist

Lightning Lord posted:

People acting like Morrison's writing is an alien language will never stop being funny to me.

I feel like some of his stuff seems like every third page is missing.

I did just finish DC 1000000, though, and really enjoyed it. Really, the random side stories were more entertaining than the big plot.

Lightning Lord
Feb 21, 2013

Maybe it's just because he's one of my favorite writers, but I find his writing to be straightforward and clear.

Senior Woodchuck
Aug 29, 2006

When you're lost out there and you're all alone, a light is waiting to carry you home

Skwirl posted:

Comics have been pretty deeply ingrained into pop culture, in certain ways more intrinsically than they are now. Adventures in Babysitting and The Ice Storm use Thor and The Fantastic Four as tools to either advance the plot or add emotional depth to a character for instance. Pink Floyd made some references to Dr. Strange in the late 60's, a bunch of different rappers have references to comic books in their music, The Ramones covered the theme to Spider-Man.

And of course the biggie That time Superman defeated the KKK

Donovan's Sunshine Superman was what, '66? Hearing that on the oldies station as a kid was probably the first time I heard of Green Lantern.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Lightning Lord posted:

its not the complexity smuggo pants its the content that's causing my brains to leak out of my face

Edge & Christian
May 20, 2001

Earth-1145 is truly the best!
A world of singing, magic frogs,
high adventure, no shitposters

TenCentFang posted:

Look up yonder in the sky, now, what is that I pray?
It's a bird, it's a plane, it's a man insane, it's my President LBJ

Comics being fiercely guarded by right-wing assholes is a shockingly new development. See also: Sad Puppies, who think Sci-Fi has just now stopped being pew pew laser fights in favor of political discourse.
I mean, for the first several decades that superheroes existed, they were just attacked for being anti-Nazi (pre-WWII) or corrupting trash that makes your kid violent and gay (the 1950s) or conservative pap pushing conformity and authoritarianism onto Cold War Kids. Marvel books were periodically poo poo on for being for beatniks and hippies.

It wasn't really until the 1980s that superhero comics were entrenched enough in pop culture to be something to protect from the ravening hordes of progressivism and multiculturalism as opposed to just a threat to society in general. This sort of thing has happened to varying scales at least since the 1980s, when having [Captain America/Superman/whoever] question Reagan or a stand-in for Reagan was going to make an American icon into some sort of goddamned commie, or the X-Men preaching tolerance is an insidious pro-gay pro-immigration subliminal. Every time they 'kill off' Superman or Captain America or Iron Man or or Green Lantern or Green Arrow or whatever, it's them killing off a beacon of White Male American Exceptionalism, every time they introduce a character who isn't a White Male it's an Affirmative Action hire, this has been going on at least since the early 1990s, with flare-ups in the 1980s. I think it's just been amplified by the development of social media and the fact that Marvel and DC characters have exploded in prominence because of the film franchises.

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

I'M HAVING A HOOT EATING CORNETTE THE LONG WAY

Synthbuttrange posted:

its not the complexity smuggo pants its the content that's causing my brains to leak out of my face

This is not good

TenCentFang
Sep 5, 2017

by Nyc_Tattoo

Lightning Lord posted:

I tried reading Nameless. I really did.

TenCentFang fucked around with this message at 16:17 on Sep 16, 2017

Open Marriage Night
Sep 18, 2009

"Do you want to talk to a spider, Peter?"

My Shameful Secret, that I've mentioned before, is that I just couldn't get into the Invisibles.

I know about the old ads, but is Flex Mentallo's look based off of Bruno Sammartino at all? Do I have strong man blindness?

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
I need a roll of police tape that just says gently caress OFF!

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
e: nvm

Jordan7hm
Feb 17, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
No pictures, but some thoughts on my continuing read of the marvel universe from the start. Using CMRO.

Reading through 60s marvel you really can't overemphasize the quality of Spider-Man. Pretty much every one of his books is solid. Whereas Iron-Man and Ant/Giant-Man spend their issues fighting villains of the week and spinning their wheels in relationships with ladies who moon over them, Spider-Man actually experiences real character development. The early stuff with Betty is great, and I'm at the point where Flash has been beaten by Peter and Liz Allen starts taking notice of him, and it's just really cool to see him transition from an angry loser teenager into a confident man. Dr Octopus is an awesome villain. I love that his stories are litmus tests of Peter's abilities and character. When fighting Oct he gets beat down but it's always just to show him getting back up. I'm not even to If This Be My Destiny yet (not even close actually, 100+ issues to go before that).

Speaking of Giant Man, the relationship with him and Janet is kind of weird. She's the daughter of one of his friends (who dies) and there are some weird daddy issues or something. Very paternalistic relationship. She moons over him and he acts like there's nothing there but they go on vacations and walk down the street holding hands. His books are boring and I hate him. He fights a lot of commies.

Iron Man is just fine. Hes had some full length stories but nothing really meaningful. Even Giant Man has recurring villains. They seem to want to do something with Happy and Pepper and maybe some kind of love triangle but there's not really enough there for that. I'm at the point where they have the Watcher in the backup story in Tales of Suspense and the Iron Man stories seem to be getting smaller. Not a big fan.

The Hulk was fantastic in his six issue run. Just a lot more interesting than I expected it to be. He's not stupid, he's just disconnected and angry. It's a more nuanced character than I think of outside of stuff like the Peter David run. I haven't read a ton of Hulk stuff though. I was sorry when his series ended.

Thor started off as being pretty awful but Journey to Mystery 99-104 is maybe my favourite run so far. Thor gets his powers cut in half by Odin, is sent to the future, and it all ends in a great big god throw down in New York. At this point they're also running Tales of Asgard backup stories which are awesome Norse myths (through a marvel lens). I was sour on Thor and this just turned me right around.

Fantastic Four is up there with Spider-Man in quality. The relationships aren't moving forward as fast as they are in Spider-Man, but they are moving forward, and the adventures they have are great and give Kirby a chance to show off his chops. Doom is up there with Doc Oc as the best early marvel villain. Maybe the best just because of how ridiculous he is.

Strange Tales starring Human Torch on the other hand sucks. Johnny is not an interesting enough character to hold up a book at this point and his stories are very much just fights against fairly pedestrian villains. But then they start running Dr Strange backup stories and gently caress yes I am all in on those. Ditko doesn't have the ability to match Kirby's fantastical landscapes but his nightmare worlds are the next best thing and I think he draws a much better "normal looking guy". Strange's stories are these short little fantastical vignettes and I really like them.

X-Men is petty hit and miss in those early days, but better than I thought it would be. They lean a lot heavier on Magneto than I expected them to given how other books rotate so many villains. Magneto is a lot less interesting in the early X-Men days than in his first appearance or future appearancess though. Very generic.

Captain America's return was floated in an issue of Strange Tales (#114), when they had a villain masquerade as him to fight the Torch. Did not know that. His actual return in Avengers #4 was pretty great, but that story had more going on than I expected... like the Avengers being turned to stone by an ancient alien who was also responsible for the Medusa myth.

The Avengers is pretty good. I'm only up to #4, but they've been pretty action packed so far and they're clearly trying to do some cool stuff with team dynamics.

Other random stuff:
Daredevil showed up in his dumb yellow suit. Certainly jammed a lot into that first issue. I hear he is terrible for a very long time. Not looking forward to that.
Matt Fox shows up a couple times in backups. I think these were probably older stories as they don't even have the Watcher / Wasp narrative gimmick and his style is so distinct they probably couldn't fake it with a bullpen artist. I love Matt Fox's inking.
The Wasp / Watcher gimmick used to set up old school horror / SF / monster tales in Tales to Astonish and Tales of Suspense is kind of dumb.
Kirby is really not living up to the legend here. There's some good stuff but there's a lot of bad Kirby art. Ditko is my favourite.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Jordan7hm posted:

Strange Tales starring Human Torch on the other hand sucks. Johnny is not an interesting enough character to hold up a book at this point and his stories are very much just fights against fairly pedestrian villains.

Captain America's return was floated in an issue of Strange Tales (#114), when they had a villain masquerade as him to fight the Torch.

ZANTÉ!

Lightning Lord
Feb 21, 2013

Jordan7hm posted:

Kirby is really not living up to the legend here. There's some good stuff but there's a lot of bad Kirby art. Ditko is my favourite.

As an Orthodox Kirbyist I cannot allow this blasphemy to stand. Please report for disintegration post haste.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Lightning Lord posted:

As an Orthodox Kirbyist I cannot allow this blasphemy to stand. Please report for disintegration post haste.

I can't lie, if Jack Kirby started a religion I'd become that version of a Jehovah's Witness.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

Rhyno posted:

I can't lie, if Jack Kirby started a religion I'd become that version of a Jehovah's Witness.

If he started a fringe political party I'd definitely join.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Skwirl posted:

If he started a fringe political party I'd definitely join.

That. Let's do that.

TenCentFang
Sep 5, 2017

by Nyc_Tattoo
For the longest time I always thought Kirby's art was kind of ugly, but as I've gotten older and expanded my mind a bit, I've grown to appreciate it, mainly by mentally reverse engineering my love of Tom Scioli. I still think his faces are pretty drat wack, though. He's really best drawing unreal things and alien machinery.

Jordan7hm
Feb 17, 2011

Lipstick Apathy

TenCentFang posted:

For the longest time I always thought Kirby's art was kind of ugly, but as I've gotten older and expanded my mind a bit, I've grown to appreciate it, mainly by mentally reverse engineering my love of Tom Scioli. I still think his faces are pretty drat wack, though. He's really best drawing unreal things and alien machinery.

I was the same way but I got turned around on his art with the Fourth World stuff. But his early Marvel work, some monster anthology work, Thor, and FF excluded, is generally pretty pedestrian. He really excels with big adventures and fantastic monsters and landscapes. The early Marvel stuff doesn't have nearly enough of that. A lot of plain Jane superhero stuff.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

https://twitter.com/juanitamcritch/status/909035247941152774

A Strange Aeon
Mar 26, 2010

The Great Twist

Jordan7hm posted:

No pictures, but some thoughts on my continuing read of the marvel universe from the start. Using CMRO.

Reading through 60s marvel you really can't overemphasize the quality of Spider-Man. Pretty much every one of his books is solid. Whereas Iron-Man and Ant/Giant-Man spend their issues fighting villains of the week and spinning their wheels in relationships with ladies who moon over them, Spider-Man actually experiences real character development. The early stuff with Betty is great, and I'm at the point where Flash has been beaten by Peter and Liz Allen starts taking notice of him, and it's just really cool to see him transition from an angry loser teenager into a confident man. Dr Octopus is an awesome villain. I love that his stories are litmus tests of Peter's abilities and character. When fighting Oct he gets beat down but it's always just to show him getting back up. I'm not even to If This Be My Destiny yet (not even close actually, 100+ issues to go before that).

Speaking of Giant Man, the relationship with him and Janet is kind of weird. She's the daughter of one of his friends (who dies) and there are some weird daddy issues or something. Very paternalistic relationship. She moons over him and he acts like there's nothing there but they go on vacations and walk down the street holding hands. His books are boring and I hate him. He fights a lot of commies.

Iron Man is just fine. Hes had some full length stories but nothing really meaningful. Even Giant Man has recurring villains. They seem to want to do something with Happy and Pepper and maybe some kind of love triangle but there's not really enough there for that. I'm at the point where they have the Watcher in the backup story in Tales of Suspense and the Iron Man stories seem to be getting smaller. Not a big fan.

The Hulk was fantastic in his six issue run. Just a lot more interesting than I expected it to be. He's not stupid, he's just disconnected and angry. It's a more nuanced character than I think of outside of stuff like the Peter David run. I haven't read a ton of Hulk stuff though. I was sorry when his series ended.

Thor started off as being pretty awful but Journey to Mystery 99-104 is maybe my favourite run so far. Thor gets his powers cut in half by Odin, is sent to the future, and it all ends in a great big god throw down in New York. At this point they're also running Tales of Asgard backup stories which are awesome Norse myths (through a marvel lens). I was sour on Thor and this just turned me right around.

Fantastic Four is up there with Spider-Man in quality. The relationships aren't moving forward as fast as they are in Spider-Man, but they are moving forward, and the adventures they have are great and give Kirby a chance to show off his chops. Doom is up there with Doc Oc as the best early marvel villain. Maybe the best just because of how ridiculous he is.

Strange Tales starring Human Torch on the other hand sucks. Johnny is not an interesting enough character to hold up a book at this point and his stories are very much just fights against fairly pedestrian villains. But then they start running Dr Strange backup stories and gently caress yes I am all in on those. Ditko doesn't have the ability to match Kirby's fantastical landscapes but his nightmare worlds are the next best thing and I think he draws a much better "normal looking guy". Strange's stories are these short little fantastical vignettes and I really like them.

X-Men is petty hit and miss in those early days, but better than I thought it would be. They lean a lot heavier on Magneto than I expected them to given how other books rotate so many villains. Magneto is a lot less interesting in the early X-Men days than in his first appearance or future appearancess though. Very generic.

Captain America's return was floated in an issue of Strange Tales (#114), when they had a villain masquerade as him to fight the Torch. Did not know that. His actual return in Avengers #4 was pretty great, but that story had more going on than I expected... like the Avengers being turned to stone by an ancient alien who was also responsible for the Medusa myth.

The Avengers is pretty good. I'm only up to #4, but they've been pretty action packed so far and they're clearly trying to do some cool stuff with team dynamics.

Other random stuff:
Daredevil showed up in his dumb yellow suit. Certainly jammed a lot into that first issue. I hear he is terrible for a very long time. Not looking forward to that.
Matt Fox shows up a couple times in backups. I think these were probably older stories as they don't even have the Watcher / Wasp narrative gimmick and his style is so distinct they probably couldn't fake it with a bullpen artist. I love Matt Fox's inking.
The Wasp / Watcher gimmick used to set up old school horror / SF / monster tales in Tales to Astonish and Tales of Suspense is kind of dumb.

This is all super helpful. I plan on getting Marvel Unlimited at some point to binge on the 60s Marvel stuff, so it's nice having a bit of a road map--I'm not going to have the time or resources to be as completionist as your project is!

Scaramouche
Mar 26, 2001

SPACE FACE! SPACE FACE!

I did a similar read a while ago and what struck me about Daredevil is how nice the art got, relative to the time, as soon as Wally Wood got in there.

A Strange Aeon
Mar 26, 2010

The Great Twist
I got this discount book catalog in the mail and it has some comics in it. Could the "Just Imagine Stan Lee Creating the DC Universe Omnibus" be worth $25? It's 726 pages, and Kubert, Gibbons, Buscema, and Ordway are mentioned as artists.

I'm having a hard time imagining Stan's takes on Batman and Green Lantern as any good, but maybe it's interesting as a curio? When did they publish this, anyway?

joehonkie
Jan 12, 2006

I'm a member of STARS.

A Strange Aeon posted:

I got this discount book catalog in the mail and it has some comics in it. Could the "Just Imagine Stan Lee Creating the DC Universe Omnibus" be worth $25? It's 726 pages, and Kubert, Gibbons, Buscema, and Ordway are mentioned as artists.

I'm having a hard time imagining Stan's takes on Batman and Green Lantern as any good, but maybe it's interesting as a curio? When did they publish this, anyway?

It's tacky and great as a curiosity. I want it for twenty five bucks!

I love how Batman is just Luke Cage but with bat powers.

Mr. Maltose
Feb 16, 2011

The Guffless Girlverine
Batman makes all his money as a pro wrestler. It's like if The Rock became a vigilante. It's the dumbest and best poo poo.

TenCentFang
Sep 5, 2017

by Nyc_Tattoo
I say this whenever Stan Lee's modern projects come up, but I'm 90% sure he's not actually done a single thing since leaving Marvel other than license his name and maybe do a design or two.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dr Kool-AIDS
Mar 26, 2004

TenCentFang posted:

I say this whenever Stan Lee's modern projects come up, but I'm 90% sure he's not actually done a single thing since leaving Marvel other than license his name and maybe do a design or two.

That's what Ditko fans say he did at Marvel too though.

• Locked thread