Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

there are some funny fuckups, like the menus being incredibly screwed up so cooking ingredients are listed under materials, tools are listed under cooking ingredients, etc.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
word is that nisa got the job pretty much entirely cause of money and the promise of a simultaneous pc release and, uh, well

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Erg posted:

after 3 hours of ys 8, game of the month im sad to say the tl for the pre demo section of the game is just as bad. I forgot to screenshot but I've had an instance of a character introducing herself with "My name is Alison. You can just call me Alison"

it's serviceable in that you'll get the plot but characters don't really have distinct voices and feel like they aren't even consistent during a conversation. also any time the game tries to go with a character expressing complex thoughts the tl doesn't hold together. it feels like different people were translating per line because thoughts just don't follow

also the term for magic is fuckin' Energy and im gonna be mad when i find out the jpn script uses the english word Energy

HGH
Dec 20, 2011

Erg posted:

after 3 hours of ys 8, game of the month im sad to say the tl for the pre demo section of the game is just as bad. I forgot to screenshot but I've had an instance of a character introducing herself with "My name is Alison. You can just call me Alison"

it's serviceable in that you'll get the plot but characters don't really have distinct voices and feel like they aren't even consistent during a conversation. also any time the game tries to go with a character expressing complex thoughts the tl doesn't hold together. it feels like different people were translating per line because thoughts just don't follow

also the term for magic is fuckin' Energy and im gonna be mad when i find out the jpn script uses the english word Energy

Erg posted:

im going to play more ys now though so it's not game ruining, just disappointing considering this was supposed to be the ys where falcom tried to do a story
Yeah, this is just sad. And this is the Ys game that's getting more attention/traction than usual to boot.
I just hope this isn't a preview of things to come for Cold Steel 3. That'd be a total shitshow.

The Colonel posted:

word is that nisa got the job pretty much entirely cause of money and the promise of a simultaneous pc release and, uh, well
Oh yeah, this was supposed to be a simultaneous release, wonder what ha-
*Delayed until further announcements*
WELL THEN.
What a bunch of gently caress ups.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

theres no way on this or any other planet that nisa gets cold steel 3

Erg
Oct 31, 2010

Endorph posted:

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

HGH posted:

Yeah, this is just sad. And this is the Ys game that's getting more attention/traction than usual to boot.
I just hope this isn't a preview of things to come for Cold Steel 3. That'd be a total shitshow.

XSEED has localized TiTS SC, Third Chapter, and both Cold Steels. They've got CS3 locked down.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Ys 8 is pretty great so far despite its crappy translation.

Getsuya
Oct 2, 2013
Well dropping WA3 until I can get the English version due to unreadably fast auto advancing text.

In the meantime: Legend of Mana. I plan on using a guide for placing artifacts, but will I need a guide to figure out the quests and stuff?

WrightOfWay
Jul 24, 2010

Neddy Seagoon posted:

XSEED has localized TiTS SC, Third Chapter, and both Cold Steels. They've got CS3 locked down.

I mean XSEED also localized every Ys game since Oath up until Ys 8

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
yeah but there's no fuckin reason for a bigger company to care about trails when it doesn't give nearly as much of an immediate return on investment than ys in the us

plus given ys 8 basically broke the big agreements that got nisa the rights in the first place i dunno if they'll be localizing another falcom game

The Colonel fucked around with this message at 16:56 on Sep 16, 2017

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Getsuya posted:

Well dropping WA3 until I can get the English version due to unreadably fast auto advancing text.

In the meantime: Legend of Mana. I plan on using a guide for placing artifacts, but will I need a guide to figure out the quests and stuff?

You'll need either a guide or to not care about it completely and just do whatever, I recommend the latter. Do not try and understand the crafting system, no one else does 20 years later.

E: guess it's only 18

HGH
Dec 20, 2011

Endorph posted:

The Colonel posted:

yeah but there's no fuckin reason for a bigger company to care about trails when it doesn't give nearly as much of an immediate return on investment than ys in the us

plus given ys 8 basically broke the big agreements that got nisa the rights in the first place i dunno if they'll be localizing another falcom game
Yeah, guess I was paranoid. When I think about it logically there's no way anyone would put themselves through that headache inducing amount of work involved or turn out a quick buck on a project like that.

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

Ventana posted:

I loved Undertale, but idk if I really want fangames or sequels out of it

Let me help resolve your confusion:

You don't.

Tired Moritz
Mar 25, 2012

wish Lowtax would get tired of YOUR POSTS

(n o i c e)
no fangame is good

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

Tired Moritz posted:

no fangame is good

AM2R

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!
Sonic mania

HGH
Dec 20, 2011

Tired Moritz posted:

no fangame is good

OddObserver
Apr 3, 2009

Endorph posted:

Tragicomedy option: Aksys
(When is Tokyo Xanadu PS4 coming out, anyway?)

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
is nisa bad now

they were good at disgaea and the early neptunia games

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

cheetah7071 posted:

is nisa bad now

NISA always had problems. The disguised it with a lot of script rewriting mostly but they went steadily downhill and have gotten worse and worse and worse both in terms of translation quality and production quality. They're the goofus to XSEED's gallant at this point, though obviously XSEED isn't unimpeachable or anything.

They've been bad since the frigging PS2 era though, where they released games so hosed up they had to apologize for it.

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
nisa released ar tonelico 2 with a bug that literally made an optional boss impossible to beat because it would freeze the ps2

they then went on to release like more than three more games with similar issues, except sometimes worse

Ventana
Mar 28, 2010

*Yosh intensifies*

Tired Moritz posted:

no fangame is good

I always considered Undertale one giant weird Earthbound fangame

Kinda like Freedom Planet and Sonic I guess

dioxazine
Oct 14, 2004

The Colonel posted:

nisa released ar tonelico 2 with a bug that literally made an optional boss impossible to beat because it would freeze the ps2

they then went on to release like more than three more games with similar issues, except sometimes worse

Ar Tonelico 1 had incredible amounts of menu hang, though I'm not sure if that was inherent or part of the localisation.

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
if you think about it, DOOM is an alien fangame

Mill Village
Jul 27, 2007

A lot of the PS2 Gust games NISA released had weird audio delays during combat.

Wendell
May 11, 2003

The Colonel posted:

if you think about it, DOOM is an alien fangame

Surely you mean Metroid???

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
never forget esty dee

Ventana
Mar 28, 2010

*Yosh intensifies*
Metroid is a fangame of Alien, Doom is a fangame of Aliens. Not sure about the other movies

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

yeah fantasy maiden wars is legitimately one of the most innovative SRPGs released in decades. it has big balance problems sometimes but i still highly recommend it. hopefully there's a tl patch for fmw4 soon so more people can experience the joys of how busted most of the cast of that game is.

Tired Moritz
Mar 25, 2012

wish Lowtax would get tired of YOUR POSTS

(n o i c e)
the gently caress, I don't know your touhou references

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Ventana posted:

Metroid is a fangame of Alien, Doom is a fangame of Aliens. Not sure about the other movies

Metroid Fusion involves the protagonist being fused with the iconic villain of the franchise while being trapped on a space station where the government was engaging in illegal research by cloning said iconic villain of the franchise.

poo poo be Alien: Resurrection, yo.

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
doom 3 is alien 3

ACES CURE PLANES
Oct 21, 2010

MGSV is Prometheus

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!
doom is a fangame of spear of destiny

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Oh no oh god it's all true!

ImpAtom posted:

Metroid Fusion involves the protagonist being fused with the iconic villain of the franchise while being trapped on a space station where the government was engaging in illegal research by cloning said iconic villain of the franchise.

poo poo be Alien: Resurrection, yo.

also it's bad, so the parallels between the two are many

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

Aliens vs. Predator is Aliens vs. Predator

GulagDolls
Jun 4, 2011

i've gotten up to stage 6 of fmw1. i dont have a crazy boat map attack yet so I guess that must be in one of the later games. it's kind of hard to muster energy to play it without touhou knowledge

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.

cheetah7071 posted:

is nisa bad now

Disgaea 5 was still fine but I don't think I've played anything else of theirs in the last year or two.

corn in the bible posted:

also it's bad, so the parallels between the two are many

Actually Fusion is good.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Scoss
Aug 17, 2015
I love making big parties in RPGs and I have often seen Etrian Odyssey recommended as a good crawler. I tried EO3 a few years ago and lost interest after maybe 5 hours on account of it feeling a bit too old and grindy.

I tried the new EO5 demo and found it considerably more pleasant? Between all the little QoL touches and the more modern graphics I was still pretty engaged through the end of the demo. Can anyone more familiar with EO attest that the newer games are a little more approachable or am I being suckered into a grindy oldschool trap?

Tangentially related, I tried the Monster Hunter Stories demo upon hearing that it was like "better pokemon" and found it to be really insufferably slow and the rock-paper-scissors combat did not really engage at all.