Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
ThePeavstenator
Dec 18, 2012

:burger::burger::burger::burger::burger:

Establish the Buns

I may have bombed my last interview but apparently my resume is good or no one else is applying to the positions I'm applying for because I keep getting replies within like a day or two. A place within walking distance of my apartment wants to do a phone screen/interview.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JewKiller 3000
Nov 28, 2006

by Lowtax
if your resume is written in coherent english without formatting issues, and you're applying to smaller companies that aren't household names, they're probably excited to see you

champagne posting
Apr 5, 2006

YOU ARE A BRAIN
IN A BUNKER

I received two emails.

1) I'm sorry, we've received 1300 resumes and won't be having you for interview.

2) I'm sorry, we've received 15 resumes and won't be having you for interview.

:psyduck:

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene

Boiled Water posted:

I received two emails.

1) I'm sorry, we've received 1300 resumes and won't be having you for interview.

2) I'm sorry, we've received 15 resumes and won't be having you for interview.

:psyduck:

any response is a good response

ShadowHawk
Jun 25, 2000

CERTIFIED PRE OWNED TESLA OWNER

Arcsech posted:

be nice to work with, do what you can on your own but don't be afraid to ask questions as long as you've tried (like, at least a google or two) to answer them yourself,
The pro intern move is to phrase your questions along the lines of "I searched for <x>, and looked at the internal doc for <y>, but I still can't figure out...."

That way the host 1) immediately knows you're not wasting their time for no reason and 2) will almost always admit that such and such doc isn't as good as it could be and hey, why don't I explain it to you and then you can update it for us?

You then turn that situation of not knowing something into being downright useful.

The Management
Jan 2, 2010

sup, bitch?
of all the interns I've seen come and go, the one I remember best is the one who chugged the bottle of barbecue sauce on a dare

Schadenboner
Aug 15, 2011

by Shine

The Management posted:

of all the interns I've seen come and go, the one I remember best is the one who chugged the bottle of barbecue sauce on a dare

Same but ghost pepper salsa.

PokeJoe
Aug 24, 2004

hail cgatan

Lol

Schadenboner
Aug 15, 2011

by Shine

Based on his reaction I think it's entirely possible he hadn't heard of ghost peppers beforehand?

Iverron
May 13, 2012

10 months later and figgies are finally in my future from a job that is a big step forward in my career

:chaostrump:

qhat
Jul 6, 2015

The Management posted:

Nice.

jre
Sep 2, 2011

To the cloud ?

Iverron posted:

10 months later and figgies are finally in my future from a job that is a big step forward in my career

:chaostrump:

:yotj:

Hambilderberglar
Dec 2, 2004

jre posted:

So how did it go ?
dang

Notorious b.s.d. posted:

it's not personal

just send a nice note back that you're no longer interested
You're right. I have more figgies than before at the place that did hire me, I'm learning a ton of poo poo and getting extra responsibilities thrown at me exactly when I ask for them and looking back on my previous job it actually feels like a light went on in my life that was turned off for a long time. But still:

quote:

interviewing and job hunting is garbage

and these people aren't doing anything to dissuade me from replying back with a "we've decided not to move forward at this juncture". Or doing it exactly 87 days later.

jre
Sep 2, 2011

To the cloud ?

You'll eventually get bored with new job and it's best not to piss in the well just in case.

Also the person you reply to won't always work at that company and if you're a dick to them it could bite you when you apply to work somewhere dece

Hambilderberglar
Dec 2, 2004

jre posted:

You'll eventually get bored with new job and it's best not to piss in the well just in case.

Also the person you reply to won't always work at that company and if you're a dick to them it could bite you when you apply to work somewhere dece
I replied politely and thanked them for their interest. It's absolutely the smart and sane thing to do, but I still need convincing in spite of at least being a theoretical adult because I gravitate toward stupid ideas like a moth to a flame.

ThePeavstenator
Dec 18, 2012

Establish the Buns

Decided to apply to the FBI because why not? They have an office about 5 blocks from my apartment.

Mao Zedong Thot
Oct 16, 2008

ThePeavstenator posted:

Decided to apply to the FBI because why not? They have an office about 5 blocks from my apartment.

Fuckin narc

Bhodi
Dec 9, 2007

Oh, it's just a cat.
Pillbug
peaves, good luck on paper stacking but i don't think they'd be what people call a "culture fit"

Qtotonibudinibudet
Nov 7, 2011

Omich poluyobok, skazhi ty narkoman? ya prosto tozhe gde to tam zhivu, mogli by vmeste uyobyvat' narkotiki

ThePeavstenator posted:

Having recently finished reading The CI Desk:

this is a bad idea and you will be subject to horrible internal politics while also having terrible benefits.

however you may be able to someday write a book about working under Robert Hanssen, among other things.

ThePeavstenator
Dec 18, 2012

Establish the Buns

It's a computer science position, not field agent. I'm not that serious about it, just thought I'd apply.

qhat
Jul 6, 2015

Be prepared to get paid significantly underneath the market average just so you can serve your country or whatever.

Bhodi
Dec 9, 2007

Oh, it's just a cat.
Pillbug
oh and you get to work with complete assholes who are either koolaid drinking justice paladins or guys who a kick out of swinging their law dick around

really it's shocking they have so much trouble filling technical slots

ThePeavstenator
Dec 18, 2012

Establish the Buns

Which is why I'm not seriously considering actually trying to get an FBI job. The position is like 5 blocks from my apartment so I figured I might was well take 15 minutes and fill out an application, you never know.

ThePeavstenator
Dec 18, 2012

Establish the Buns

I should add that it's like 1 of 10 other places I talked to at a job fair so it's not like I went out looking for FBI openings.

minato
Jun 7, 2004

cutty cain't hang, say 7-up.
Taco Defender
Doing IT work for the FBI is pretty easy, anytime anything goes wrong they just cut the power.

FMguru
Sep 10, 2003

peed on;
sexually

minato posted:

Doing IT work for the FBI is pretty easy, anytime anything goes wrong they just cut the power.
*electromagnetic lock swings open*
*beethovens ode to joy plays*

ltugo
Aug 10, 2004

If there was a grading scale for torture I would give sleep deprivation and waterboarding a C-.
In my 20 years in the military, I've had occasion to work with individuals from he CIA, NSA, DIA, NCIS, and the FBI. I must say, the FBI agents were the only ones who carried themselves just like their TV/movie counterparts. They really did look the part.

The Eyes Have It
Feb 10, 2008

Third Eye Sees All
...snookums
I remember reading that Mueller specifically dressed like a Hoover era G man because at the time the FBI's mandate and duties were changing a lot and he wanted to signal that despite all the changes it was still the same FBI.

Progressive JPEG
Feb 19, 2003

ltugo posted:

In my 20 years in the military, I've had occasion to work with individuals from he CIA, NSA, DIA, NCIS, and the FBI. I must say, the FBI agents were the only ones who carried themselves just like their TV/movie counterparts. They really did look the part.

av post combo

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

ThePeavstenator posted:

you're going to be so confused when they get back to you in 4 years

ltugo
Aug 10, 2004

If there was a grading scale for torture I would give sleep deprivation and waterboarding a C-.

Let those who are without red text cast the first stone.

Mahatma Goonsay
Jun 6, 2007
Yum
I just got a message from a recruiter about a literal fart app that I made. I am speechless.

MrMoo
Sep 14, 2000

cis autodrag posted:

i wish programmers were paid better in the uk (and trans people weren't totally hosed by the nhs) because I would move to London or Edinburgh like instantly if I could make comparable figgies there, accounting for a slightly lower income due to Healthcare being free.

I've been trying to find work in Glasgow, found a great Satellite company sponsored by the fisherman's wife. They tried to get me to move to Singapore instead, then found a better positioning in San Francisco, then stalled for a while. A bit later they opened up a position in Glasgow, which is mainly a hardware office, and the salary is £26K. Oof.

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene

cis autodrag posted:

i wish programmers were paid better in the uk (and trans people weren't totally hosed by the nhs) because I would move to London or Edinburgh like instantly if I could make comparable figgies there, accounting for a slightly lower income due to Healthcare being free.

they don't have to pay programmers better because they have a captive population.

literally everyone would like to live in london.

jre
Sep 2, 2011

To the cloud ?

MrMoo posted:

I've been trying to find work in Glasgow, found a great Satellite company sponsored by the fisherman's wife. They tried to get me to move to Singapore instead, then found a better positioning in San Francisco, then stalled for a while. A bit later they opened up a position in Glasgow, which is mainly a hardware office, and the salary is £26K. Oof.

26k doing what ? Also what's your skill set ?

Notorious b.s.d. posted:

literally everyone would like to live in london.
lol no

jre fucked around with this message at 00:04 on Sep 30, 2017

MrMoo
Sep 14, 2000

jre posted:

26k doing what ? Also what's your skill set ?

Software engineering developing their cloud apps and infrastructure for signal processing and other tasks.

The job listings appear to shuffle about a bit visiting again today: https://spire.com/careers/openings/

I'm a messaging middleware developer (TIBCO RV, ZeroMQ) and solutions architect for small financial projects, I'm currently finishing off the NYSE equities floor display system rewrite (6 months) and starting to work on their Options floor. So that's various bits of real time market data infrastructure development, protocols, networking, and all the garbage JS and Polymer based front end with WebGL too. From 220 servers down to 2, and a team of 30+ developers to just me, that also means I'm on significantly better figgies 😎

jre
Sep 2, 2011

To the cloud ?

MrMoo posted:

Software engineering developing their cloud apps and infrastructure for signal processing and other tasks.

The job listings appear to shuffle about a bit visiting again today: https://spire.com/careers/openings/

I'm a messaging middleware developer (TIBCO RV, ZeroMQ) and solutions architect for small financial projects, I'm currently finishing off the NYSE equities floor display system rewrite (6 months) and starting to work on their Options floor. So that's various bits of real time market data infrastructure development, protocols, networking, and all the garbage JS and Polymer based front end with WebGL too. From 220 servers down to 2, and a team of 30+ developers to just me, that also means I'm on significantly better figgies 😎

lmfao, 26k would be a shameful lowball for a graduate.

Are you against working for merchant banks ? There's plenty of that paying good figgies in Glasgow

Sapozhnik
Jan 2, 2005

Nap Ghost
the uk is a third world country, i'm so loving glad i left

Stymie
Jan 9, 2001

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
kudos to uk tech companies for working to rein in out of control programmer salaries

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MrMoo
Sep 14, 2000

JP Morgan Chase is a big employer in Glasgow, and I actually have an active contractor badge with them in NYC. Banks tend not to like WFH and are overly bureaucratic for employees but pretty good for contractors making a mess of things. I've never worked in a formal development environment until a recent few months at an FX trading shop, I'm usually the only developer in larger teams with others working on the financial or business side.

I have a wonderfully short résumé but it usually gets me in for an interview, most interviewers want a Computer Scientist specializing on algorithms or simply don't value a lot of the things I'm good at and ask stupid quiz questions about CSS 3. That interviewer was on the floor as they IPOd recently, odd moment.

MrMoo fucked around with this message at 01:42 on Sep 30, 2017

• Locked thread