Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Skypie
Sep 28, 2008

CAPT. Rainbowbeard posted:

Paladins are freaks, let me tell you.

You are not kidding, it's like they save all the vice for the bedroom.

And blackguards, wow

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

secular woods sex
Aug 1, 2000
I dispense wisdom by the gallon.

Al Borland Corp. posted:

Haha holy poo poo your talking about Gerald? One time a loving burglar snuck into his house through the laundry room to steal his tv and fell into the pocket dimension where he set off, like, ALL the traps. Gerald has it on video and shows it sometimes at house parties. I have never seen some poor bastard so thoroughly destroyed. Gerald has got his poo poo on lock, mad respect.
Yeah, that's Gerald!

The cherry on top was the last trap shunted that burglar off into a closed timelike loop that begins when he hit the first trap. And a neat little variation on Causal Consciousness means that the guy not only experiences every trap in the moment, but he remembers all the past run throughs too.

I think Gerry originally devised this to power his home when he was trying to bang that corrupted were-druid, but once that didn't work out he kept it going as background noise.

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

I did not realize that. Jesus if that guy ever escaped the loop he'd be the greatest theif in the world.

naem
May 29, 2011

Al Borland Corp. posted:

I did not realize that. Jesus if that guy ever escaped the loop he'd be the greatest theif in the world.

:stare: so much EXP

CAPT. Rainbowbeard
Apr 5, 2012

My incredible goodposting transcends time and space but still it cannot transform the xbone into a good console.
Lipstick Apathy
I'm sure Gerald will never have a group of adventurers accidentally free that guy and eventually have some sort of cosmic comeuppance.

After all, I "bent" that Law.

::agesilaus:

Riot Bimbo
Dec 28, 2006

I'm not too familiar with local courts, but some court jackass pissed me off, so i put a curse in a simple runeword trap. Problem is, he was cooking dinner for the local lord when it went off.

It was a quiet activation, blink and you miss it, but it gives the afflicted stinky cum, stinky balls, and stinky pussy if it's a lady.

the kind of stank that stanks through clothing and hangs in the air. nothing subtle about it.

well everyone who ate food he prepared has been afflicted. the curse has attached itself to his cooking utensils, and he's basically typhoid marry. Word is, nobody can enter the castle without gagging and puking :lol:

The king is due for a royal visit in a few days and i'm looking forward to seeing that play out

naem
May 29, 2011

POWER WORD: STINKYBALLS

CAPT. Rainbowbeard
Apr 5, 2012

My incredible goodposting transcends time and space but still it cannot transform the xbone into a good console.
Lipstick Apathy

basic hitler posted:

I'm not too familiar with local courts, but some court jackass pissed me off, so i put a curse in a simple runeword trap. Problem is, he was cooking dinner for the local lord when it went off.

It was a quiet activation, blink and you miss it, but it gives the afflicted stinky cum, stinky balls, and stinky pussy if it's a lady.

the kind of stank that stanks through clothing and hangs in the air. nothing subtle about it.

well everyone who ate food he prepared has been afflicted. the curse has attached itself to his cooking utensils, and he's basically typhoid marry. Word is, nobody can enter the castle without gagging and puking :lol:

The king is due for a royal visit in a few days and i'm looking forward to seeing that play out

Haha, noice.

Goa Tse-tung
Feb 11, 2008

;3

Yams Fan

prophet45 posted:

Yeah, I'll freely admit that I'm kinda new to this, though I did get named top three up and coming wizards of Cerilia this year!

yo just so you know I caught that! there are only like three wizards on that plane worth the name :colbert:

how'd you manage to communicate from there anyway, I thought the Shadow World blocks everything like a Mist from Ravenloft? shout-outs to my inspiration Azrai :allears:

Patrat
Feb 14, 2012

As an evil dragon I practise wizardry as a sideline to more important activities like accumulating and sleeping atop gold but I have run into a problem.

The humans are industrialising, you know how it goes, they develop gunpowder, then steam engines, electricity. Initially this is great as it leads to far more humans who are also orders of magnitude more efficient at mining gold and organising efficient taxation systems to pay tribute. But I just know that the little shits are going to start making 'dragon killer' missiles or jet fighters or something within a few centuries.

Should I bring fire and devastation to their cities, transforming them into pyres for their civilisation? It would put the problem off but I have a great thing going ever since I replaced their emperor. Right now I do not ever need to get off my pile of gold and have princesses regularly delivered, how far should I let them go before culling them?

Hihohe
Oct 4, 2008

Fuck you and the sun you live under

I dont know how big a dragon you are but by the time they figure out rifling, most dragons are usually hosed. An ancient dragon is usually okay until they figure out ballistic missiles.

Just get some kobolds man. Dont those fuckers worship you guys like gods?

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

You should do what dragons did on our Earth. Just take human form and build your own corporation. It's not the same as sitting on a pile of gold, it's not physical. But when society is Advanced is like you have your entire hoard in your pocket. After a while you don't even have to use any of it, it grows no matter what you do. People will die for you and break the law for you and work themselves to death for you and you don't even have to do poo poo.

Anyone who even thinks about slaying you will be written off as dangerous and thrown in jail. You can rip someone's face off and a dozen guys will line up saying "well he won't rip MY face off" just to be close to power.

If you want to do something really hosed up just pretend to be your own kid, they'll let you off scot free.

John Wick of Dogs fucked around with this message at 23:50 on Sep 16, 2017

CAPT. Rainbowbeard
Apr 5, 2012

Lipstick Apathy
Yes, just hire some PR people, they're "evil" anyway, this will hardly be a stretch for them.

Goa Tse-tung
Feb 11, 2008

;3

Yams Fan

Hihohe posted:

I dont know how big a dragon you are but by the time they figure out rifling, most dragons are usually hosed. An ancient dragon is usually okay until they figure out ballistic missiles.

Just get some kobolds man. Dont those fuckers worship you guys like gods?

*looks up from dusty tome*
isn't protection from missile weapons a level two spell?

oh wait those guys are sorcerers lmao

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

I wouldn't recommend clowning on dragons just because they are sorcerers. That doesn't prevent them from becoming wizards, and a great many do. They have natural spells from their bloodline, can read magic and prepare spells just like any of us, and also they are a loving dragon.

secular woods sex
Aug 1, 2000

Goa Tse-tung posted:

*looks up from dusty tome*
isn't protection from missile weapons a level two spell?

oh wait those guys are sorcerers lmao
Protection from missile weapons might work but it depends on what kind of effect you get. It's all well and good if you deflect it, but if it slows down and stops in mid-air inches from your face and then *snick* turns out it's a situation activated switchblade arrow and you get a foot of blessed steel through your face.

ChaseSP
Mar 25, 2013

Don't forget loopholes like people tying their ammo with a long weightless rope so it technically counts as being apart of them and not a missile. Rare but every once in a while you get a smartass.

Goa Tse-tung
Feb 11, 2008

;3

Yams Fan

ChaseSP posted:

Don't forget loopholes like people tying their ammo with a long weightless rope so it technically counts as being apart of them and not a missile. Rare but every once in a while you get a smartass.

ok now im upset, heros really are scum

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

ChaseSP posted:

That's odd, I could swear I was once attacked by a ninja wielding a kunai w/chain (long story) and it deflected off of a missile protection spell.

ChaseSP
Mar 25, 2013

Al Borland Corp. posted:

That's odd, I could swear I was once attacked by a ninja wielding a kunai w/chain (long story) and it deflected off of a missile protection spell.

Mileage will vary on your god/ess or source of magic.

Blurry Gray Thing
Jun 3, 2009
Dragons do very, very well in a post-industrial steampunk or cyberpunk setting. Wealth is power, there.

Knowing you're no longer strong enough to kill them all by yourself might chafe for a bit. But your true power will skyrocket.

And you might still be a badass, even in a straight up fight. It's honestly a bit weird. Any clash between a modern military and medieval places with dragons never goes well for the dragons. It gets all tragic and relentless-progress-destroys-our-dreams-y. Fighters gunning them down from above, anti-air flak guns ripping through wings, a slow, melancholy fall from the sky. The fall of the golden age. All that. But a dragon who lives in a corporate reality can take out jet-fighters and shrug off nukes. Maybe the corporation's bottom line and the dragon-CEO's crazy high net worth have something to do with it.

secular woods sex
Aug 1, 2000
In a very real sense, wealth is power for dragons. Consider the following:

Dragon A sleeps on a pile of physical gold and adventurer bones. Yeah he's still a dragon, but any lucky hayseed farm boy with an enchanted blade has got his number.

Dragon B manipulates a fiat currency and advanced financial market to wield the GDP of nations. Any attempt to kill this badass is going to require exotic technologies and trained strike teams with state of the art weaponry. You can't bring a hick with a magic sword against a wyrm with a global satellite network and voidborne kinetic energy weapons.

Automatic Slim
Jul 1, 2007

Not unless those hayseeds are a well funded (narco) Marxist insurgency.

Automatic Slim
Jul 1, 2007

You're talking about Dragons turning from sitting on piles of gold and eating livestock/maidens to being the power of multinational corporations and Concerns. Most dragons don't have the tolerance or interest for any of that. It's too human.

If they're smart they'll hand it off to a majordomo or some kind of fanatical servant (or well paid accountant). I don't know if dragons find the same pleasure of laying on top of piles of paper cash or bonds like they do with precious metals, but of their land doesn't have a fiat currency it's going to be in a perpetual recession with all that gold hoarding.

deedee megadoodoo
Sep 28, 2000
Two roads diverged in a wood, and I, I took the one to Flavortown, and that has made all the difference.

I once met a Sand Dragon masquerading as a Saudi prince whose entire mansion was gilded. He seemed perfectly content just being in an exquisitely decorated home. He was a total sociopath though. Dragons are bad news.

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

I once defeated a dragon by talking him into playing WoW. He's addicted to virtual hording now.

Zzulu
May 15, 2009

(▰˘v˘▰)
I once hosed a dragon right up its stupid dragon PUSSY and then we had CHILDREN and now we're MARRIED and it's GREAT

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

Teach them to read magic young, before their natural abilities develop if you can. Don't want them becoming sorcerers.

CAPT. Rainbowbeard
Apr 5, 2012

Lipstick Apathy
I don’t think that’s how it works. You’ll just make them some kind of wizard/sorcerer multiclass, which seems like a waste on the face of it, but lets them cast any of their wizard spells as a sorcerer, and the only real limitation to a sorcerer’s riotous power is their limited spell selection.

I mean, if you can get that little bugger to imprint on you out of the egg, you’re golden. Otherwise, you may have a legitimate threat to your power.

Speleothing
May 6, 2008

Spare batteries are pretty key.
Let the kids do what they want. Justin make it clear that you're immortal and undying and that there won't be an inheritance.

Pththya-lyi
Nov 8, 2009

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2020
What kind of incubator should I use for my dragon eggs?

deedee megadoodoo
Sep 28, 2000
Two roads diverged in a wood, and I, I took the one to Flavortown, and that has made all the difference.

Pththya-lyi posted:

What kind of incubator should I use for my dragon eggs?

A 10 inch nonstick omelet pan

Pththya-lyi
Nov 8, 2009

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2020

HatfulOfHollow posted:

A 10 inch nonstick omelet pan

Listen, a hedge wizard like you might be happy messing around with hensbane and cantrips, but I'm reaching for the stars here! I wanna be a Dragon Queen, dammit!

Numb Three Ers
Jul 7, 2007
What do you mean it's pronouced "numbers"?
If I make a golem out of a pile of bones or flesh and infuse it with life, are they considered undead? I have to deal with some clerics and regular zombies won't cut it.

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

I don't mean this in a condescending way, but did you skip a couple classes? I'm amazed you can create bone and flesh golems and didn't know the answer. They should be just fine against clerics, in most circumstances. But there's always some weird sub class of cleric that turns stuff you wouldn't believe, there's a slim chance one can turn golems in general.

I ran into a cleric once that could turn loving cats! Cats! There's lots of weird rear end religious rules out there.

Speleothing
May 6, 2008

Usually. Depends on what ritual you're using.

I think only Garnoral's Embodying and the variants get around that. But it can be hard to find a copy of it, and is a bitch to pull off. Plus side is the flesh golem stops smelling so bad, but I'd rather just bind elemental spirits into household objects. Creepy dolls and suits of armor are really easy.

Or just strait up bind a freely-forming elemental, if you've got the cajones for it. Not many clerics have actual magic weapons, just blessed ones.

Edit: flesh and bone golems are still undead, but stronger enough to kill the cleric first, is I think what the above poster means. Unless his plane has a lot more copies of Garnoral's

Speleothing fucked around with this message at 20:47 on Sep 20, 2017

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

What the poo poo? I just looked in my book, and you're right they count as undead! I know that's wrong though. I went and looked again, and now it says I'm right and they are just constructs. I put a bookmark in, closed the book, opened it again, it says they're undead. What the gently caress

Edit: oooohhhhh gently caress I just tried to cast a simple spell and it wouldn't work, took off my flak jacket and then it worked. Can't cast spells while wearing armor! Of course I can't! Why would I think I could? Why do I even own loving armor? Except I cast a spell like a half hour ago while wearing the same armor. I know I did because it's a floating disc and it's duration isn't up yet. I'm... I'm stuck oscillating through editions?

John Wick of Dogs fucked around with this message at 20:57 on Sep 20, 2017

Numb Three Ers
Jul 7, 2007
Thanks for the advice. I'm somewhat new to the whole evil thing. The local worlock ( I think, again super new) got himself killed s nd i figured I could try to take his place. First I got a take care of the clerics that killed him and I was just double checking.

Numb Three Ers
Jul 7, 2007
My previous gig was making simple automatons out of stone or mud. They're strong but really dumb and can only do one thing at a time I was making bank doing living statues but one noble wanted a "special friend" made. Well long story short it turns out golems don't know what a safeword is and now I'm looking for a new gig.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Speleothing
May 6, 2008

Going deep into necromancy right away is a good way to get burnt out. Often Literally. Learn to talk to the spirits of the dead, learn to animate and command skeletons and zombies. The basics to make life easier around the tower, then go hard into elementalism.

• Locked thread