Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
SuperMechagodzilla
Jun 9, 2007

NEWT REBORN

Farg posted:

is it possible people like movie set a less than movie set b because the latter is more enjoyable to more people and not because they have horrible flaws that prevent them from seeing the true genius of movie set a

It's not only possible; it's exactly the case. You are not a horrible monster.

You are a boring person who perceives your enjoyment as being under threat.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

UmOk
Aug 3, 2003

BiggerBoat posted:

Also to protect his identity, which didn't work out so well. The coolest depictions of DD are when they actually show him struggling with stuff his senses can't decipher, like a computer screen or a cell phone. Being able to read ink on a printed page from the "impression" is bullshit because offset printing plates don't leave an impression and there's no "raised ink" either.

The best DD writers come up with interesting ways to demonstrate that he's still handicapped because otherwise, what's the point of the loving character?

At least in the show he reads braille. Comics Daredevil can read by detecting subtle differences in paper or some poo poo.

well why not
Feb 10, 2009

Yeah it was super dumb in the comics when all of his senses are raised to the point where he can do everything except see colours. A printed page or a computer screen should be beyond his grasp.

UmOk
Aug 3, 2003

well why not posted:

Yeah it was super dumb in the comics when all of his senses are raised to the point where he can do everything except see colours. A printed page or a computer screen should be beyond his grasp.

Sometimes, in comics, its like he has "blind" powers in the same way Flash has "speed" powers.

Guy A. Person
May 23, 2003

UmOk posted:

Daredevil pretends to be blind for sympathy. No reason he couldn't function as a regular sighted person.

Well there's certain things he explicitly can't do (read non-braille writing*, distinguish colors of things, detect a stoplight's status while driving**, etc) that would be hard to explain without letting on that he has super human abilities. Plus his eyes are all hosed up so if he was walking around court acting sighted while missing key poo poo with his eyes looking the way they do, people would get real suspicious of how weird this all was pretty fast.

* I know in the comics he can read by moving his hands over print but try explaining why you're rubbing your hand all over the newspaper you're reading. Plus like, digital stuff, or anything farther away that his hands can reach.
** I mean, probably, unless he can sense the light/heat coming from whichever bulb? He does live in NYC obviously so this is easily avoidable but still, you can easily foresee a "tell me when the light's green" situation happening at some point

Martman
Nov 20, 2006

Doesn't his blindness also help him maintain his secret identity? People don't know that Daredevil the superhero is blind, do they? Although I'm sure every other villain of the week in the comics turns out to shockingly know his secret or whatever... EDIT: Oops, already mentioned.

Gatts
Jan 2, 2001

Goodnight Moon

Nap Ghost

Martman posted:

Doesn't his blindness also help him maintain his secret identity? People don't know that Daredevil the superhero is blind, do they? Although I'm sure every other villain of the week in the comics turns out to shockingly know his secret or whatever... EDIT: Oops, already mentioned.

Sometimes he gets a bit more direct.

Sometimes he feels the other way.

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

You've got to admit, you are kind of implausible

Snowglobe of Doom posted:

The fact that the "Not my Superman" crowd think of him as "my Superman" is a big indicator that they had a sense of ownership over the character and were always going to measure the film against their personal pre-conceived notions. Any deviation from their idea of what the character must be like (even if he figured himself out and grew into the classic ideal version of Superman by the end of the film) was going to be seen as a betrayal.

The MoS/BvS critique can be boiled down into two categories:

a) it's bad because it's "not my Superman"

B) it's good because it's "not your Superman"

DeimosRising
Oct 17, 2005

¡Hola SEA!

SuperMechagodzilla posted:

When fans say the Watchmen comic is 'realistic', they are referring to a specific form of liberal-pragmatic realism.

(The time for idealism is over. We need to be realistic, because we are already at the end of history. It's either capitalism or the apocalypse. So now it's just a matter of administrating the system so that we maximize security and minimize loss of life....)

Consequently, fans celebrate the 'moral ambiguity' of heroes-without-ethics as they fight to defend liberal capitalism against its symptoms. It's decaf superheroism, without the 'super' part (e.g. the Stark Industries Avengers).

In other words, fans took the 'moral ambiguity' - over whether the holocaust was good - as a sign of these new heroes' intelligence and maturity. These new heroes are willing to ask the tough questions that Superman is afraid to ask - like "maybe this antichrist has some good ideas?"

Like murdering that homeless guy to cover up the truth that capitalism is what killed all those people. That's a pretty 'morally ambiguous' idea, because we do it and then feel slightly bad about it.

It also attempted a kind of psychological realism that was not unprecedented but pretty rare in comics previously and that got telephone gamed into "it's superheroes in THE REAL WORLD." Nothing about Watchmen is realistic or grounded in terms of trappings, aesthetic, plot, etc. The central contrivance isn't what if superheroes were real but what if real people were superheroes. It's like when people talk about how realistic Taxi Driver is when it ends in TWO fantasy sequences

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD posted:

Also, the squid thing is slyly based on this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ag44dRO8LEA

“Perhaps we need some outside universal threat to make us recognize this common bond. I occasionally think how quickly our differences worldwide would vanish if we were facing an alien threat from outside this world.”

The Reagan joke is sadly under appreciated because it associates Veidt with him, and it shows the cynicism and lack of imagination they share. The Veidt was Right crowd think society can only be conceived, formed, and organized in opposition to a hated outside other.

DeimosRising fucked around with this message at 23:06 on Sep 16, 2017

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Don't you tell me my business again.

Davros1 posted:

The MoS/BvS critique can be boiled down into two categories:

a) it's bad because it's "not my Superman"

B) it's good because it's "not your Superman"

Disagree.

I liked MoS, loved Batfleck and think Superman was fine. I just thought the movie was a jumbled mess in spite of being nice to look at and going for some challenging ideas.

I think I'm the only dork here who loved MoS and hated BvS.

Snowman_McK
Jan 31, 2010

Schwarzwald posted:

Ah, my favorite American superhero, Korean Air.

Phylodox
Mar 30, 2006

College Slice

BiggerBoat posted:

Other than the fact that I only liked Man of Steel, I'm right there with you.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

Gatts posted:

Sometimes he feels the other way.

Oh my.

Hodgepodge
Jan 29, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 215 days!

porfiria posted:

Yeah? Well, the Jerkstore called and they want you back. There's a product recall on you, you're not jerky enough. You...you're a nice guy. You're really solid and there for your friends. You mean a lot to me.

Yeah, well I think you're a solid bloke who just dropped some edgy takes despite generally being pretty smart and on top of things!

Hodgepodge
Jan 29, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 215 days!

Gatts posted:

The whole comic fan thing hating Snyder probably has to do with a couple insecurities too. The fanatics have invested so much into the material for their own reasons that now they're facing Snyder who has better understanding and ability to deliver a complex story, present it and attempt to explore something beyond what the fanboy can think of - but one that may question or defy whatever the nerd felt and is trying to hold on to so it's challenging them. There's a bit of jealousy in that too. Marvel never really gets that much in depth of exploring themes or questioning things beyond the superficial and it's more easily digestible so it doesn't poke at the fanatic's understanding of what they believe of the material. And Whedon's is so limited for film he can just deliver the basics and be praised for it. Ang Lee's Hulk may be a flawed film but it did so much better for the Hulk, film, comics, and respected the material than anything Marvel's done and tried to get into the guts of things. But that didn't meet expectation versus Hulk punching Thor and bashing like CG toys. There's room for fun, hell yeah, but it doesn't need to be the end all.

*shock Superman snapped a neck and we see the horror of what would happen if my childhood heroes actually fought and the consequences???* NOT MY SUPERMAN!! Where is the hope?!? Where are my warm fuzzy feelings when Batman punches poor desperate homeless in the street with his Batmobile?

Hence SuperMechaGodzilla is right, comic fans don't actually love art or the comics or the material, they just love their own understanding and feeling of it and want to protect that and feel they have to defend it cause someone else isn't getting what they're getting out of it. They get insecure cause it has whatever value to them and now it's openly being questioned and prodded at so they have to run to defend it. I don't usually see the same kind of ingrained defenses against Dramas like, say Split which people can get into and really try to discuss themes and such or other movies versus SciFi/Comic Book movies that have a large fanbase because when a film is presented as art people debate and try to understand it. I guess it's when it becomes an institution like Star Wars or Trek or whatever that it happens.

I think it goes beyond comics fans to just general nerd culture. A good friend of mine (non-CD goon) was all Snyder hating and wasn't going to watch MoS or BvS. Then we sat down and watched them and he enjoyed them. Maybe not his favorite movies of all time or anything, but he isn't into sitting around and posting detailed takes on film either. It just became a knee-jerk thing for a lot of people.

I mean Sucker Punch probably didn't help. Maybe partly because it was a shot at nerd culture, but also because it was pretty clumsy and difficult to parse even if you agree with what it is ultimately trying to say.

UmOk posted:

Daredevil pretends to be blind for sympathy. No reason he couldn't function as a regular sighted person.

Eh, I'd be careful. His whole echolocation thing is exaggerated into a superpower, but it's a real thing blind people do.

Hodgepodge fucked around with this message at 03:13 on Sep 17, 2017

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

I always wanted Daredevil to hack a computer by listening to someone typing their password and read it by the echolocation of the keys clacking on the keyboard, then put his hand on the monitor and feel the subtle differences in temperature of the LEDs to "see" the screen.

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

Actually different keys do sound different. Someone made a program to log keystrokes by sound alone, and it's incredibly accurate. You have to calibrate it first, but after that it can tell you exactly what's being typed by sound alone.

got any sevens
Feb 9, 2013

by Cyrano4747

Al Borland Corp. posted:

Actually different keys do sound different. Someone made a program to log keystrokes by sound alone, and it's incredibly accurate. You have to calibrate it first, but after that it can tell you exactly what's being typed by sound alone.

Sneakers is such a cool movie

well why not
Feb 10, 2009

Al Borland Corp. posted:

All the more reason to carry one of six alternating, custom-made mechanical keyboards. I'm never getting wikileaked.

bushisms.txt
May 26, 2004

Scroll, then. There are other posts than these.

BiggerBoat posted:

Disagree.

I liked MoS, loved Batfleck and think Superman was fine. I just thought the movie was a jumbled mess in spite of being nice to look at and going for some challenging ideas.

What's messy about it? The characters all speak their or others intentions right into the camera, and it's beautifully shot. The homing device is probably the only "flaw" I can think of. Why even have the device end up next to where the batmobile lands? It's pointless. Larry Fishbourne and Eisenberg are really fun to watch in it.

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

The theatrical version suffers from a lack of establishing shots and very fast scene changes that don't really give the viewer time to process things that are happening, sacrifices made for the same of time.

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
The thing about the theatrical version is that it's a very dreamlike movie that seems to be intentionally designed to piss off a certain set of nerds.

The ultimate cut is a much more normal movie in that regard, and not designed to anger people except for when it still does

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Don't you tell me my business again.

bushisms.txt posted:

What's messy about it? The characters all speak their or others intentions right into the camera, and it's beautifully shot. The homing device is probably the only "flaw" I can think of. Why even have the device end up next to where the batmobile lands? It's pointless. Larry Fishbourne and Eisenberg are really fun to watch in it.

Not going there again. Was just responding to a guy saying that critics of the film were easily divided into 2 categories specifically related to Superman. Just about everything to be said about BvS has been said already but that was a new one.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
I was mocking Avengers in an argument presenting an infertile woman as a monster equal to the Hulk, in a rather terrible taste joke, and it did get me to pondering how Wonder Woman's appearance in BvS holds up in retrospect, after her own movie was a critical and box office hit. I recall a fair amount of criticism that she kinda comes out of nowhere, but again, that's kinda the point from the perspective of Superman and Batman.

Spacebump
Dec 24, 2003

Dallas Mavericks: Generations

Inescapable Duck posted:

I was mocking Avengers in an argument presenting an infertile woman as a monster equal to the Hulk, in a rather terrible taste joke, and it did get me to pondering how Wonder Woman's appearance in BvS holds up in retrospect, after her own movie was a critical and box office hit. I recall a fair amount of criticism that she kinda comes out of nowhere, but again, that's kinda the point from the perspective of Superman and Batman.

She was around before the fight. The best part was Batman sending her those hilarious e-mails.

LesterGroans
Jun 9, 2009

It's funny...

You were so scary at night.

Spacebump posted:

She was around before the fight. The best part was Batman sending her those hilarious e-mails.

Of course Bruce Wayne is a #NotAllMen kinda guy.

Guy A. Person
May 23, 2003

Inescapable Duck posted:

I think people gave it poo poo at first but then CA:CW did basically the same thing with Spider-Man (right down to using found footage to discover the existence of other metahumans - christ those 2 movies have so many similarities) and people realized it was both cool and awesome.

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007

Al Borland Corp. posted:

The theatrical version suffers from a lack of establishing shots

BvS continues to be the only movie I've ever heard this complaint about.

K. Waste
Feb 27, 2014

MORAL:
To the vector belong the spoils.
It suffers from a lack of Gotham P.D.

well why not
Feb 10, 2009

The most unbelievable part of the movie is that a political cartoon would be that good, without coming from a satirical publication.

ynohtna
Feb 16, 2007

backwoods compatible
Illegal Hen
Nice purse

graham cracker
Mar 8, 2004

"There is no God! Right, Mama?"

"True."

Have any BvS fans justified the jar of piss yet?

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

graham cracker posted:

It's a brilliant gently caress you to a lady who said that she'd recognize a jar of piss when she saw it?

DeimosRising
Oct 17, 2005

¡Hola SEA!

graham cracker posted:

How do you mean? What's unjust about it

porfiria
Dec 10, 2008

by Modern Video Games
It wasn't a jar of piss it was liquefied gold kryptonite which prevented Superman from using his super vision to see the bomb.

http://dc.wikia.com/wiki/Gold_Kryptonite

graham cracker
Mar 8, 2004

"True."

DeimosRising posted:

How do you mean? What's unjust about it

I meant justify it in the sense of it being necessary in a superman movie.

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

Star Trek: The Motion Picture is a boring movie
Yeah it's great. Holly Hunter totally dunks on Luthor so he shoves it in her face and loving blows her up. It's amazing.

On the downside, no more Holly Hunter, who was great in that small role.

graham cracker posted:

NOT MY SUPERMAN.

Jose Oquendo fucked around with this message at 19:10 on Sep 17, 2017

graham cracker
Mar 8, 2004

"True."

Burkion posted:

It's a brilliant gently caress you to a lady who said that she'd recognize a jar of piss when she saw it?

On that note, is a woman's lauded ability to identify piss necessary in said movie.

Gorn Myson
Aug 8, 2007

Not sure why anyone even needs to justify it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sir Kodiak
May 14, 2007

graham cracker posted:

I don't know what it would mean for something to be necessary or unnecessary "in a superman movie."

• Locked thread