Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

8one6 posted:

How about Riker selling some 20th century guy on the Enterprise solution.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IzUX_1jaO_I

For a company I've never heard of, the cost of this must have been obscene, given I don't think anyone else ever got to do anything like this with TNG.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

Dukat is a deluded piece of poo poo from day 1 but he's charismatic and Star Trek fans like most people can't tell the difference between charisma and character until they've personally been burned.

8one6
May 20, 2012

When in doubt, err on the side of Awesome!

MikeJF posted:

For a company I've never heard of, the cost of this must have been obscene, given I don't think anyone else ever got to do anything like this with TNG.

According to an interview with the marketing director of the company it was a $90k/year deal in 1993 dollars (plus a separate fee for Frakes), so still pricey but still within the realm for some software that was apparently fantastic for what it did.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Farmer Crack-rear end posted:

Wesley probably got more action on that ship than Geordi did.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KveHvN39QO4

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

Arglebargle III posted:

Dukat is a deluded piece of poo poo from day 1 but he's charismatic and Star Trek fans like most people can't tell the difference between charisma and character until they've personally been burned.
I like the Maquis 2 parter where you can see more of what makes Dukat tick. He's 100% on board with fascism and it's a good contrast when he is trying to figure out Cardassia's involvement in the Maquis issue and going around with Sisko who is trying to be impartial. He berates Sisko for not finishing off his friend Cal Hudson and then tries to do it himself.

yeah actually they will
Aug 18, 2012
I am watching enterprise s02e09 "singularity" and I think it kicks rear end

yeah actually they will
Aug 18, 2012
Episodes where everyone goes insane at the same time in a very specific way ftw. i mean, mostly. not that episode where ms troi made everyone on ds9 horny.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Arglebargle III posted:

Trailer I hadn't seen before:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5rtzB5O8uz0

Nothing here looks good IMO.
The starship combat looks light years better than anything we've seen before outside of a film.

From that trailer I'm gathering Burnham was a child on a ship which appears to be the USS Europa that was destroyed somehow, and she's rescued by Sarek.

I find it odd that they are not showing more of the Discovery itself. This thing comes out in a week.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."

FlamingLiberal posted:

I find it odd that they are not showing more of the Discovery itself. This thing comes out in a week.

I keep wondering if they haven't finalised the design of it yet. There was a bridge video released recently, and the panels seemed to show the ship's design as seen waaaay back in that godawful SDCC launch trailer, i.e. with the short nacelles. The pictures we've seen more recently of the ship's design have much longer nacelles that trail behind.

As opposed to this which came from SDCC this year:

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.
I'd honestly rather have the short nacelle version if it means we don't have to see those godawful saucer cutouts.

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

I don't think the nacelles make a significant difference in how fugly the ship is, which is very, which was the first big signal that this show was going to be shithouse when they can't even get the aesthetics right.

Winifred Madgers
Feb 12, 2002

Big Mean Jerk posted:

I'd honestly rather have the short nacelle version if it means we don't have to see those godawful saucer cutouts.

Same, but in reverse. The long nacelles make a huge difference, and the cutouts don't bother me that much.

After The War
Apr 12, 2005

to all of my Architects
let me be traitor

Orv posted:

Good man.

Kazinsal posted:

Awww yeah. Looking forward to that thread. M*A*S*H without the laugh track is a brilliantly dark comedy and some of the best television to come out of the 70s/early 80s.

All right, at the cost of many hours and the remnants of my sanity, I went ahead and did it:
https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3834562

Now to start that Thunderdome entry I've been neglecting!

Hipster_Doofus
Dec 20, 2003

Lovin' every minute of it.
Oh, yay! :woop: Nice effortpost, man.

primaltrash
Feb 11, 2008

(Thought-ful Croak)
http://io9.gizmodo.com/jonathan-frakes-let-slip-an-unexpected-star-trek-disco-1818490734

Frakes dropped a spoiler at a convention in Chicago

Discovery is going to the Mirror Universe in one episode

... huh.

Winifred Madgers
Feb 12, 2002

lmao, if I had any doubt left....

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Why don't you perform zazen, facing a wall?
Will anyone know the difference

The Fuzzy Hulk
Nov 22, 2007

ASK ME ABOUT CROSSING THE STREAMS

skasion posted:

Will anyone know the difference

It will be so dark all you can see is the lens flares.

Cross-Section
Mar 18, 2009

The_Doctor posted:

I keep wondering if they haven't finalised the design of it yet. There was a bridge video released recently, and the panels seemed to show the ship's design as seen waaaay back in that godawful SDCC launch trailer, i.e. with the short nacelles. The pictures we've seen more recently of the ship's design have much longer nacelles that trail behind.

Well, wouldn't be the first time there's been a mismatch like that.

yeah actually they will
Aug 18, 2012
enterprise season 2 episode 10 "vanishing point" this may be the worst episode of any star trek i've ever seen. what the gently caress.

Jewel Repetition
Dec 24, 2012

Ask me about Briar Rose and Chicken Chaser.

yeah actually they will posted:

Episodes where everyone goes insane at the same time in a very specific way ftw. i mean, mostly. not that episode where ms troi made everyone on ds9 horny.

For a second I wondered why episodes where everyone gets horny are apparently always bad, but then I realized it's because it can't show them having raw sex.

Tighclops
Jan 23, 2008

Unable to deal with it

Grimey Drawer

MillennialVulcan posted:

http://io9.gizmodo.com/jonathan-frakes-let-slip-an-unexpected-star-trek-disco-1818490734

... huh.

It's funny how nothing that comes out about this show inspires any confidence even when it's really fanservicey

Evek
Apr 26, 2002

"It's okay. I wouldn't remember me either."

MillennialVulcan posted:

... huh.

They really couldn't resist. Its already been done to death and the season is only 15 episodes long. Bet there will be a two part time travel episode to cap it off.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

Mirror universe is tired and done but it also only works once you've had a few seasons to really establish and get to know the characters so the mirror universe can really contrast them.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Baronjutter posted:

Mirror universe is tired and done but it also only works once you've had a few seasons to really establish and get to know the characters so the mirror universe can really contrast them.
Yeah I don't mind the MU but doing it the first season? That seems odd.

The Fuzzy Hulk
Nov 22, 2007

ASK ME ABOUT CROSSING THE STREAMS

In good Trek news, a new episode of The Orville is on tonight.

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

The Fuzzy Hulk posted:

In good Trek news, a new episode of The Orville is on tonight.

Here's a good clip. Not video tagging for "spoilers" in case anyone cares, but I feel this encapsulates the show quite well.

https://youtu.be/dh5tmI1r-vM

Kazinsal
Dec 13, 2011
Discovery has more dutch angles than Battlefield Earth.

loving hell.

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

🎧Listen to Cylindricule!🎵
https://linktr.ee/Cylindricule

There has got, got, got to be a way to make it sound less like an actor speaking stiffly through a mask, these days. All the makeup art in the world comes off as makeup art when the guy is like "yefff we haff been whaiting fffor thiff" and poo poo. God.

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

"Jesus, did I say that? Or just think it? Was I talking? Did they hear me?"

Kazinsal posted:

Discovery has more dutch angles than Battlefield Earth.

loving hell.

That's pretty impressive, considering that BFE, I think, has the most Dutch angles of any film ever made.

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

Gonz posted:

That's pretty impressive, considering that BFE, I think, has the most Dutch angles of any film ever made.

Hell it's the whole reason anyone knows what a Dutch angle is.

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

"Jesus, did I say that? Or just think it? Was I talking? Did they hear me?"

dont even fink about it posted:

Hell it's the whole reason anyone knows what a Dutch angle is.

Not necessarily. 60's Batman, Tim Burton, Terry Gilliam and Sam Raimi are famous for use of Dutch angles in their projects.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."

Al Borland Corp. posted:

Here's a good clip. Not video tagging for "spoilers" in case anyone cares, but I feel this encapsulates the show quite well.

https://youtu.be/dh5tmI1r-vM

That is such a good moment, and I really hope it's indicative of the show to come.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Have they clarified what the deal with these Klingons is? I think they have said both that these Klingons in the series are some kind of 'ancient' Klingons, but that the redesign of the species applies to all Klingons? It has not been very clear. I had originally thought that they were going to explain the redesign as these Klingons all being some kind of ancient version, but I guess that's not the case.

Senor Tron
May 26, 2006

I actually quite like the cutouts, because sectioning the pressure vessels up like that makes sense. It's easy to believe that if you stripped the hull off the surface of any of the Enterprises you could end up with something like that.

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

My theory on the Klingons: this was just their regular design for Klingons, it leaked or they posted it on the internet and saw a huge negative reaction, they couldn't reshoot, so they went "uh, actually um these are TOTALLY DIFFERENT Klingons, all will be revealed!" then rewrote future episodes around this

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
I will laugh if that spoilered episode concept is the second episode, just like The Naked Now. So we get to see all the characters be different despite not knowing anything about any of them yet. What a loving waste that episode was.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Cojawfee posted:

I will laugh if that spoilered episode concept is the second episode, just like The Naked Now. So we get to see all the characters be different despite not knowing anything about any of them yet. What a loving waste that episode was.
Season 1 TNG was such a mess. It's amazing to me that they were even able to produce 26 episodes with all of the problems they had.

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Why don't you perform zazen, facing a wall?

Cojawfee posted:

The Naked Time is the 4th episode of TOS. Spock's emotional monologue was essentially Nimoy inventing the character's backstory on the fly. Naked Now doesn't suck just because it's early in the run, it sucks because it's a stupid episode.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Orv
May 4, 2011
Don't forget the mandatory weird cultural racism about wives episode!