Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Skunkrocker
Jan 14, 2012

Your favorite furry wrestler.

SilverSupernova posted:

Half expecting the dropped idea from the end of part V where Tommy was going to become the next Jason.

...gently caress, that's an amazing idea. :stare:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Polo-Rican
Jul 4, 2004

emptyquote my posts or die
2 little updates I would like:

1. A better interface for quickly choosing a counselor and Jason. I'd swap out more often between matches if I didn't have to enter and navigate that huge, full-screen chooser that forces you to lose sight of the lobby. Just give me some little tiles with portraits that appear directly over the lobby.

2. Option for cinematic camera mode while spectating. Have the camera rotate around the counselor automatically, plop near the ground with Dutch angles, snap in front of the face for pseudo-first person, etc.

King Vidiot
Feb 17, 2007

You think you can take me at Satan's Hollow? Go 'head on!

Polo-Rican posted:

1. A better interface for quickly choosing a counselor and Jason. I'd swap out more often between matches if I didn't have to enter and navigate that huge, full-screen chooser that forces you to lose sight of the lobby. Just give me some little tiles with portraits that appear directly over the lobby.

On that note, since drop-outs are sooo drat common I'd like the ability to switch your starting counselor or Jason outside of the lobby menu. I've had moments where I wanted to pick a different Jason for a change but I get dropped into a match that's just starting.

Related, am I alone in picking a favorite Jason but always going with random counselor? When I'm counselor I like to adapt my role on-the-fly depending on which one I'm picked to play, because it just feels "right" to me. Going in with a Pro Strat and trying to "win" a game that's not designed around competition seems a little silly to me. But I pick a Jason for two reasons, one because Part 7 sucks and two because there are clearly better and worse Jasons for different types of groups, and loving up as Jason is just not fun the way it is as a counselor. If I'm in a lobby that seems disorganized, like they're all total strangers, I can pick pretty much any Jason and have fun. If it's an organized group of players who look like they're all friends on Discord then I'll stick to Part 6 or Part 8 because knives or door destruction are really useful against good teams.

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

Required by his programming!
i go all random all the time

embrace the chaos

joylessdivision
Jun 15, 2013

King Vidiot posted:

On that note, since drop-outs are sooo drat common I'd like the ability to switch your starting counselor or Jason outside of the lobby menu. I've had moments where I wanted to pick a different Jason for a change but I get dropped into a match that's just starting.

Related, am I alone in picking a favorite Jason but always going with random counselor? When I'm counselor I like to adapt my role on-the-fly depending on which one I'm picked to play, because it just feels "right" to me. Going in with a Pro Strat and trying to "win" a game that's not designed around competition seems a little silly to me. But I pick a Jason for two reasons, one because Part 7 sucks and two because there are clearly better and worse Jasons for different types of groups, and loving up as Jason is just not fun the way it is as a counselor. If I'm in a lobby that seems disorganized, like they're all total strangers, I can pick pretty much any Jason and have fun. If it's an organized group of players who look like they're all friends on Discord then I'll stick to Part 6 or Part 8 because knives or door destruction are really useful against good teams.

I've been playing random across the board. Yeah it sucks to get a Jason I'm not used to playing or doesn't fit my strengths as a Jason player but it just forces me to think a little more about how to approach the match, especially if it's a small map.

Coolguye posted:

i go all random all the time

embrace the chaos

Yes.

Skunkrocker posted:

Going back to earlier... you guys know someone was working on an asymmetrical 3v1 Puppet Master game? One giant player would have to defend himself from 3 of Toulon's Puppets. It didn't look great, but it was a like one man development team apparently. Think Band/Full Moon C+D'd him though.

I would probably play the poo poo out of something like this. I'm not even a huge Puppet Master fan but that sounds like it would be hilariously fun.

King Vidiot posted:

Also looking at Part 8 Jason in that screenshot from that article, it will never not bug me that Jason changes his loving mask every single movie. It's never the same mask and yet it's supposed to be the same one with the same damage from movie-to-movie. The knife cut is still there on the top but it's completely different otherwise.

And me being the big horror dork I am, the other day I made me a Part 3 Jason mask from a cheap $7 Halloween hockey mask:

I think it looks pretty good considering it only cost me $12 (including chevron stencils from here: https://www.jdfstudios.com/) and 30 minutes of actual work.

Looks excellent. There's a YouTube video I watched a while back that shows how to do that with one of those store bought masks. I think they added the ax wound to the top, but I don't remember. Really impressive how cheaply you can make a screen accurate Jason mask for like $40 vs a couple hundred if you bought an "Officially licensed" one.

Polo-Rican
Jul 4, 2004

emptyquote my posts or die
f13 might seriously be improved by forcing the players to receive shuffled counselors each game. It would force you to change up your strategies, encourage teamwork, and prevent games where 4 people pick the same counselor.

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

people already quit over not seeing their pants in the intro screen, you think forcing a random survivor wouldn't make people quit out when they don't get their favorite teenager?

King Vidiot
Feb 17, 2007

Polo-Rican posted:

f13 might seriously be improved by forcing the players to receive shuffled counselors each game. It would force you to change up your strategies, encourage teamwork, and prevent games where 4 people pick the same counselor.

Oh no man, I love playing a match as counselor where I roll a Deborah on a team of Buggzys, Vanessas and Adams, and I'm the one who gets killed by Jason (followed by the Adams) and then the fast bastards just kite Jason for the next fifteen minutes until they die finally in the last few minutes of the match.

I also love the Elusive Tiffanys who grab the good weapons and items and then just hide up on top of a rock the whole match. But I guess that's roleplaying!

Spacebump
Dec 24, 2003

Dallas Mavericks: Generations
In games where Jason is killed, what happens during the normal cut scene of Jason walking to the cabin?

Sea Lily
Aug 5, 2007

Everything changes, Pit.
Even gods.

Spacebump posted:

In games where Jason is killed, what happens during the normal cut scene of Jason walking to the cabin?

You don't see that, it just cuts to the post game leaderboard thing after his death animation is over

Archenteron
Nov 3, 2006

:marc:

SilverSupernova posted:

Only if Tommy Jarvis gets replaced with Stryker whenever he is picked.

Hell no, Johnny Cage

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

Haha after attacking he yells "U JUST GOT CAGED"

Skoll
Jul 26, 2013

Oh You'll Love My Toxic Love
Grimey Drawer

Crescent Wrench
Sep 30, 2005

The truth is usually just an excuse for a lack of imagination.
Grimey Drawer

uhh thanks

Skoll
Jul 26, 2013

Grimey Drawer
Oh, I didn't see it was already posted.

Whoops

Danaru
Jun 5, 2012

何 ??
Holy gently caress I'm finally getting the chance to watch Part 5 and :swoon: This movie has done almost everything right god drat. 'Jason's' entrance by loving EXPLODING through the door was absolutely perfect, and I swear the music playing as he chases Pam is Part 6's theme from the REGGIE JUST RAN DOWN ROY WITH A loving BULLDOZER WHILE I'M TYPING THIS THIS MOVIE IS PERFECT

Tinfoil Papercut
Jul 27, 2016

by Athanatos

Hey, you guys see this yet?

DeathChicken
Jul 9, 2012

Nonsense. I have not yet begun to defile myself.

I've been rewatching them recently. It's kind of funny, I really like the cast of 3, except the movie itself is pretty drat bad and those cheesy 3D effects never stop. 4 is a much better movie on paper, but the kids are pretty forgettable outside of Tommy. And Crispin Glover

DeathChicken fucked around with this message at 23:20 on Sep 16, 2017

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Danaru posted:

Holy gently caress I'm finally getting the chance to watch Part 5 and :swoon: This movie has done almost everything right god drat. 'Jason's' entrance by loving EXPLODING through the door was absolutely perfect, and I swear the music playing as he chases Pam is Part 6's theme from the REGGIE JUST RAN DOWN ROY WITH A loving BULLDOZER WHILE I'M TYPING THIS THIS MOVIE IS PERFECT

Part 5 gets a lot of poo poo for no reason

Danaru
Jun 5, 2012

何 ??

Burkion posted:

I legit want Pam as a playable counselor. Screw Tommy, she tried to chainsaw Jason in half straight up. That's the kind of chutzpa I want rescuing me :allears:

EDIT: Holy poo poo, after Tommy has his vision of becoming Jason, it starts including "ta-ta-ta" with the ki-ki-ki and ma-ma-mas :stare: that's some solid gold foreshadowing. I'm almost sad they didn't go through with it, although I still like Zambo Jason as a concept better

Danaru fucked around with this message at 23:36 on Sep 16, 2017

Skoll
Jul 26, 2013

Grimey Drawer

Tinfoil Papercut posted:

Hey, you guys see this yet?

No, thanks!

joylessdivision
Jun 15, 2013

Danaru posted:

Also Demon singing on the toilet. The movie really does have everything.

And a helpful lesson: don't murder fat kids or their crazy dad will dress up in a hockey mask and murder you.

Danaru
Jun 5, 2012

何 ??

joylessdivision posted:

And a helpful lesson: don't murder fat kids or their crazy dad will dress up in a hockey mask and murder you.

Oh man, if one of the new Jasons ends up being Tommy-As-Jason, the replacement for Tommy has got to be a grown up Reggie out to avenge his brother and granpda :stwoon: It writes itself

Ghostpilot
Jun 22, 2007

"As a rule, I never touch anything more sophisticated and delicate than myself."

joylessdivision posted:

Actually, didn't Roy kill everyone except for the guy who killed his son?

joylessdivision
Jun 15, 2013

Ghostpilot posted:

Actually, didn't Roy kill everyone except for the guy who killed his son?

I don't actually remember. It's been a few years since I watched Part 5 so maybe? If that's the case then loving LOL Roy, YOU HAD ONE JOB!

Phylodox
Mar 30, 2006

College Slice

joylessdivision posted:

I don't actually remember. It's been a few years since I watched Part 5 so maybe? If that's the case then loving LOL Roy, YOU HAD ONE JOB!

The guy who killed Roy's boy was arrested and taken to jail. Justice was served. But Roy doesn't care about justice. Roy cares only for blood.

joylessdivision
Jun 15, 2013

Phylodox posted:

The guy who killed Roy's boy was arrested and taken to jail. Justice was served. But Roy doesn't care about justice. Roy cares only for blood.

Oh well there ya go. I seem to remember there never being any explanation of where Roy got his outfit or why he chose it, but I'm probably wrong.

a cock shaped fruit
Aug 23, 2010

The true enemy of humanity is disorder.

Danaru posted:

Burkion posted:

'Hurf durf audience psyche out NOT THE REAL JASON' - People are dumb, 5 legit owns.

joylessdivision posted:

Get you a girl who sings while you poo poo.

Coffee And Pie
Nov 4, 2010

"Blah-sum"?
More like "Blawesome"
Oooh baby, ooh baby.

Reggie the reckless for life.

King Vidiot
Feb 17, 2007

a cock shaped fruit posted:

'Hurf durf audience psyche out NOT THE REAL JASON' - People are dumb, 5 legit owns.

I mean until they established the whole "Jason's just a zombie now and can loving come back whenever" thing, Jason was dead at the end of Part IV. I don't know what the hell audiences expected when that mask came off besides some kind of copycat.

Regrettable
Jan 5, 2010

joylessdivision posted:

Oh well there ya go. I seem to remember there never being any explanation of where Roy got his outfit or why he chose it, but I'm probably wrong.

No, you're right but you don't even find out it's Roy until he dies so that seems like it would be pretty out of place, especially considering he's not actually wearing Jason's mask.

joepinetree
Apr 5, 2012

King Vidiot posted:

I mean until they established the whole "Jason's just a zombie now and can loving come back whenever" thing, Jason was dead at the end of Part IV. I don't know what the hell audiences expected when that mask came off besides some kind of copycat.
He could always just come back whenever. I mean, he starts in a morgue on 4 because he took an axe to the head on 3. And 3 starts by retconning the severity of the machete in part 2. The only thing "new" on part 6 was the fact that even his decayed flesh could move. In fact, part VI is only different in the sense that he clearly doesn't die at the end. Of course, this is a series where Jason kills someone by hiding under a hammock, unseen. You are not supposed to think that hard about it.

DeathChicken
Jul 9, 2012

Nonsense. I have not yet begun to defile myself.

They really made double super certain he was dead at the end of 4 though. Like, there's taking an axe through a hockey mask and being hung. Great. 4 saw his head split in half, then Tommy deciding to make Jason burgers out of him when he twitched

a cock shaped fruit
Aug 23, 2010

The true enemy of humanity is disorder.

King Vidiot posted:

Yeah, It's ridiculous that people got all upset about it.

Drunken Baker
Feb 3, 2015

VODKA STYLE DRINK
Uhhhh, if we're getting 2 new Jasons and one is Roy does that mean the other one is Uber Jason? Because I really want X and his flat mask. :smith:

joylessdivision
Jun 15, 2013

DeathChicken posted:

They really made double super certain he was dead at the end of 4 though. Like, there's taking an axe through a hockey mask and being hung. Great. 4 saw his head split in half, then Tommy deciding to make Jason burgers out of him when he twitched

Yeah part 4 was supposed to be "The Final Chapter" so they killed him off as definitively as possible. Part 5 is a lot like Halloween 3, a good movie that got poo poo on because it didn't feature the guy with a mask like the previous films.

Or the wrong guy in a mask as it were.

A.o.D.
Jan 15, 2006

joylessdivision posted:

Yeah part 4 was supposed to be "The Final Chapter" so they killed him off as definitively as possible. Part 5 is a lot like Halloween 3, a good movie that got poo poo on because it didn't feature the guy with a mask like the previous films.

Or the wrong guy in a mask as it were.

That's not quite right. Pt 5 was still a F13 movie and only makes sense in the context of the previous movies. Halloween 3 had absolutely nothing in common with any of the other Halloween movies other than the date.

Coffee And Pie
Nov 4, 2010

"Blah-sum"?
More like "Blawesome"

DeathChicken posted:

Jason burgers, you say?

Drunken Baker
Feb 3, 2015

VODKA STYLE DRINK
I'm one of those morons who hated part 5 even though I only watched them all retroactively after seeing part 6 anyway.

I'll haven't seen it since the VHS days. I'll have to rectify that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sea Lily
Aug 5, 2007

Everything changes, Pit.
Even gods.

Drunken Baker posted:

Uhhhh, if we're getting 2 new Jasons and one is Roy does that mean the other one is Uber Jason? Because I really want X and his flat mask. :smith:

I think X and Uber Jason might be one Jason, with some special mechanic. Like he's easy to kill but comes back crazy OP as Uber Jason once you do.

We'll see though. They could make up another new Jason like Savini, or use one from an unexpected source.

The key thing is one of those new Jasons comes alongside a new map, so it's got to be from something where that makes sense.

• Locked thread