Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Hed
Mar 31, 2004

Fun Shoe
It's true. Missouri likes to tout that it is the sole FBS school in a state with no competition but the competition is other schools coming in to pick our talent. We simply don't produce enough high-star talent to fill our football team with in-state recruits; the level of play just isn't in our school system to do it year in and year out.

One thing I skipped over in reading last week is that apparently the players went to Odom and our AD last week and that's a large reason why our DC Demontie Cross got fired on week 2. That's pretty damning when it was followed up by that game effort from our players and coaches. It is very easy to build a narrative that from the 2015 protests to now our coaches are letting players run the program. That's probably what will happen as this thing goes off the rails for the next few weeks until November.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?

Hed posted:

It's true. Missouri likes to tout that it is the sole FBS school in a state with no competition.

Do they? Because that's not true at all, even the way I think they mean in. There are three schools without any in state FBS competition in just the Big Ten West.

LLCoolJD
Dec 8, 2007

Musk threatens the inorganic promotion of left-wing ideology that had been taking place on the platform

Block me for being an unironic DeSantis fan, too!

Duckaerobics posted:

Ugh I live in Alabama and I hear racists talking all the time about how Missouri ruined their school and are shutting down because they let the blacks take over. Hopefully they get things worked out or fox news moves on to something else so they shut up about it.

"For good football turn around and leave UM campus immediately!"

Hed
Mar 31, 2004

Fun Shoe

MourningView posted:

Do they? Because that's not true at all, even the way I think they mean in. There are three schools without any in state FBS competition in just the Big Ten West

I meant to add in our conference. It was a common proxy for a consolidated fan base when conference realignment came up.

Kim Jong Il
Aug 16, 2003

Troy Queef posted:

yeah, athletics is doing well. the university however is really hurting (cutting professors, closing dorms) because a lot of rural/suburban students who usually went to MU are going to Southwest Missouri State instead, and out-of-staters are still thinking the university is run by those people and thus giving them a pass

Why would you pass up a national research university to go to the middle of nowhere? Are they just really into farming?

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

Kim Jong Il posted:

Why would you pass up a national research university to go to the middle of nowhere? Are they just really into farming?

Cost (among other reasons).

e: to expand on that. A smaller, D-II, D-III public school costs a significant fraction of the flagship. You may not have the name recognition, but when can pay a whole year's worth of tuition for what it costs for a single semester at the flagship and get a comparable education, yeah, people will take the cheaper option, especially now that student loans are very much a thing.

e2: UW-Madison costs 25k for tuition and on campus living a year. UW-Whitewater is 14k.

e3: that's if you're a Wisconsin resident, for what it's worth.

iospace fucked around with this message at 19:38 on Sep 17, 2017

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?

Kim Jong Il posted:

If you're just going for undergrad this doesn't really matter that much

Metapod
Mar 18, 2012

Kim Jong Il posted:

Because it's cheaper

Ghost of Reagan Past
Oct 7, 2003

rock and roll fun

iospace posted:

Cost (among other reasons).

e: to expand on that. A smaller, D-II, D-III public school costs a significant fraction of the flagship. You may not have the name recognition, but when can pay a whole year's worth of tuition for what it costs for a single semester at the flagship and get a comparable education, yeah, people will take the cheaper option, especially now that student loans are very much a thing.

e2: UW-Madison costs 25k for tuition and on campus living a year. UW-Whitewater is 14k.
Really? I don't know if things changed but Northern Arizona, Arizona, and ASU all had identical tuition when I went. Definitely not universal across states.

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

Ghost of Reagan Past posted:

Really? I don't know if things changed but Northern Arizona, Arizona, and ASU all had identical tuition when I went. Definitely not universal across states.

Yeah, the "lower" UW schools are all much cheaper. UW-Milwaukee, which is D-I, is probably the closest to UW-Madison in cost, but that's also the only other public research school here.

LiquidFriend
Apr 5, 2005

KKKLIP ART posted:

It really seems like Mizzou is the type of place where you need someone who can find the diamond in the rough players and develop them well, like your last coach did. Unless they start getting crazy good, they won't compete on getting ever 4- and 5- star recruit like an Alabama will, but if they can get enough 3 star players to develop to a high ceiling, they will be competitive. I don't really know who Mizzou could go after to make that happen.
They were starting to get to the point they could land higher tier recruits, but Pinkel got real lazy later on with his recruiting and gave up on Texas for whatever reason.

Right now they need a guy like Bobby Petrino that can spin poo poo into gold for a few years than upgrade once he eventually leaves.

wernox
Mar 26, 2001

I gave up my OG title for this.

Nissin Cup Nudist posted:

So which team hires Jeff Brohm this offseason

You keep your loving filthy paws off our shiny diamond.

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

UTEP has fired Offensive Coordinator Brent Pease

pillsburysoldier
Feb 11, 2008

Yo, peep that shit

DJExile posted:

That is quite the fall his career took

LLCoolJD
Dec 8, 2007

Musk threatens the inorganic promotion of left-wing ideology that had been taking place on the platform

DJExile posted:

He put up Doug Nussmeier-caliber numbers at Florida. Without Florida's talent, he was even worse.

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

Everybody's working for the weekend

pillsburysoldier posted:

That is quite the fall his career took

He'll go back to the Petersen-Harsin family like he always does and be fine. My sister was friends with his daughter in elementary school when he was at Baylor under Guy Morris; it's been kind of interesting following his career all this time.

LLCoolJD
Dec 8, 2007

Peterson fired him as Washington's WR coach a couple of years back because his receivers had butterfingers.

an adult beverage
Aug 13, 2005

1,2,3,4,5 dem gators don't take no jive. go gator -US Rep. Corrine Brown (D) FL
The football version of the Peter Principle. Its crazy how many poo poo tier coaches never get forced out of the sport.

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

an adult beverage posted:

The football version of the Peter Principle. Its crazy how many poo poo tier coaches never get forced out of the sport.

It seems like the opposite of the Peter Principle also often applies- with guys like Pease, or more notably Lane Kiffin- where they eventually fall back to their level of competence.

Proud Christian Mom
Dec 20, 2006
READING COMPREHENSION IS HARD

General Dog posted:

It seems like the opposite of the Peter Principle also often applies- with guys like Pease, or more notably Lane Kiffin- where they eventually fall back to their level of competence.

Except I'm not sure Pease has ever been competent

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

Proud Christian Mom posted:

Except I'm not sure Pease has ever been competent

Petersen seemed to like him since he kept moving up the ladder at Boise for six years (eventually to OC), and then brought him to Washington, but maybe the good will has run out.

LeeMajors
Jan 20, 2005

I've gotta stop fantasizing about Lee Majors...
Ah, one more!

God I forgot Brent Pease existed and I wish I'd never remembered. What a loving useless coach he was at UF.

Big Piece O Shit
Jan 30, 2006

He did okay with Driskel until he (Driskel) got hurt and summarily ran out of Gainesville like every other QB since Timmy.

LeeMajors
Jan 20, 2005

Ah, one more!

Big Piece O poo poo posted:

He did okay with Driskel until he (Driskel) got hurt and summarily ran out of Gainesville like every other QB since Timmy.

I reckon he did ok initially keeping Driskel from imploding in hilarious fashion like he would later, but the offense was a loving rattle-trap Goldberg machine of misdirection runs and screens held together with spit and cum.

Mike_V
Jul 31, 2004

3/18/2023: Day of the Dorks
What type of head coach is Mizzou going to bring in next season do you think? Odom was Mack Rhoade's parting gift to Mizzou and Jim Sterk hired Rocky Long at SDSU so maybe he can find another good coach for the Tigers?

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?
There a good mid major coaches with recruiting ties to that general geographic region they can get. Frank Wilson at UTSA, Neal Brown at Troy, Mike Norvell at a Memphis, Blake Anderson at Ark St., etc.

MourningView fucked around with this message at 19:40 on Sep 19, 2017

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

Yeah Mike Norvell likely isn't going to be at Memphis for very long.

C. Everett Koop
Aug 18, 2008
Possibility Mullen jumps to Tennessee/A&M? I can't see any other huge jobs being open, maybe if he falls apart at the end of the year and his price comes down some UCLA would be in the mix.

Hed
Mar 31, 2004

Fun Shoe

MourningView posted:

There a good mid major coaches with recruiting ties to that general geographic region they can get. Frank Wilson at UTSA, Neal Brown at Troy, Mike Norvell at a Memphis, Blake Anderson at Ark St., etc.

Blake Anderson is a good point, I liked listening to him when we played Ark St. also we could keep our OL coach (who coached for him)

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

C. Everett Koop posted:

Possibility Mullen jumps to Tennessee/A&M? I can't see any other huge jobs being open, maybe if he falls apart at the end of the year and his price comes down some UCLA would be in the mix.

As good as he is, I have a hard time seeing anyone else in the SEC shelling out the $7-8 million a year it would take to pry him away from Miss St.

Dango Bango
Jul 26, 2007

DJExile posted:

Yeah Mike Norvell likely isn't going to be at Memphis for very long.

Are you thinking hired as head coach or coordinator? Curious because couldn't it be argued his success is with Fuentes' players?

hifi
Jul 25, 2012

Dango Bango posted:

Are you thinking hired as head coach or coordinator? Curious because couldn't it be argued his success is with Fuentes' players?

He's been good everywhere he's coached though

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?

Dango Bango posted:

Why would he take a step down to coordinator?

A lot of the best players from the Fuente years graduated at the same time Fuente left, very few people expected them to continue to be as good as they have been. He was also a good assistant and coordinator before he got to Memphis; he should get a P5 head job really soon.

Real Name Grover
Feb 13, 2002

Like corn on the cob
Fan of Britches
The Shutdown Fullcast guys posited that Jeff Fisher will be Odom's successor

:)

dirty shrimp money
Jan 8, 2001

I give Norvell maybe one more year for lack of resume-padding NY6 bowl win, but if Arizona State wants him back at all they're going to have to do it this year.

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

Arizona State was trending down lately but they really cratered when Norvell left. He's a fantastic offensive mind.

Mike_V
Jul 31, 2004

3/18/2023: Day of the Dorks

Real Name Grover posted:

The Shutdown Fullcast guys posited that Jeff Fisher will be Odom's successor

:)

Delete this post.

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

Graphical guide for SEC coaching vacancies

LeeMajors
Jan 20, 2005

Ah, one more!

General Dog posted:

It's....it's beautiful.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

YOLOsubmarine
Oct 19, 2004

When asked which Pokemon he evolved into, Kamara pauses.

"Motherfucking, what's that big dragon shit? That orange motherfucker. Charizard."

General Dog posted:

In the end you just hire Ed Orgeron because he's already moved into the head coach office and had the nameplate changed and nobody wants to deal with the hassle of kicking him out.

• Locked thread