Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

hakimashou
Jul 15, 2002
Upset Trowel
When will they ever learn?

When will they eeeeee-ver learn?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mirificus
Oct 29, 2004

Kings need not raise their voices to be heard

hakimashou posted:

When will they ever learn?

When will they eeeeee-ver learn?

Kickstarter projects backed by Lethality
  1. Embers of Caerus Investor Prototype

quote:

Be whatever you want to be in our massive medieval low-fantasy world. Putting the sand back into sandbox, and Massive back into MMORPG.

2. Shroud of the Avatar: Forsaken Virtues

quote:

Lord British returns to his fantasy RPG roots with Shroud of the Avatar, hearkening back to his innovative early work.

3. Camelot Unchained

quote:

Camelot Unchained is a counter-revolutionary RvR-focused MMORPG from Mark Jacobs and CSE set in a post-apocalyptic yet familiar world.

4. TUG

quote:

TUG is a multiplayer open-world sandbox-RPG using new technology and social sciences to directly involve players in the game’s design.

5. The Repopulation: A Sandbox MMORPG

quote:

A Sci-Fi based MMORPG which provides many of the same sandbox oriented features seen in Star Wars Galaxies and Ultima Online.

6. Crowfall - Throne War PC MMO

quote:

No subscription required! Buy once and play forever."It's like the unholy love child of Game of Thrones, EVE Online and The Walking Dead." - J. Todd Coleman, Creative Director

7. Hero's Song (Canceled)

quote:

Hero's Song is a 2D pixel art action RPG for the PC (followed by Mac) being built by Pixelmage Games with a team of Veterans.

8. Chronicles of Elyria - Epic Story MMORPG with Aging & Death

quote:

Dynamic & immersive MMORPG where your character ages & dies in a fully destructible world with non-repeatable quests.

9. Dual Universe :: Civilization Building Sci-Fi MMORPG

quote:

One universe, shared by everyone at the same time. Emergent gameplay. Fully editable voxel world, with player-made ships & constructs.

10. Indie Microblogging: owning your short-form writing

quote:

I'm writing a book about independent microblogging, and launching a publishing platform called Micro.blog.

11. Ashes of Creation ~ New MMORPG by Intrepid Studios

quote:

Ashes of Creation is an open-world, non-faction based, no P2W, high-fantasy MMORPG. Join us as we change the face of the genre.

Clockwerk
Apr 6, 2005

I think it's time for an intervention

Mirificus
Oct 29, 2004

https://twitter.com/real_lethality/status/909590405053911040

Top 10 MMOs in Development

Schubalts
Nov 26, 2007

People say bigger is better.

But for the first time in my life, I think I've gone too far.

Mirificus posted:

Dynamic & immersive MMORPG where your character ages & dies in a fully destructible world with non-repeatable quests.

What kind of broke-brained dip would think this is a good idea for an MMO?

Rad Russian
Aug 15, 2007

Soviet Power Supreme!

Schubalts posted:

What kind of broke-brained dip would think this is a good idea for an MMO?

Well now my character is 90 and bed-ridden. Can't wait to login today and continue to wait out his death! I'm hoping for a couple more weeks max before I can create a new character.

big nipples big life
May 12, 2014

The kind kickstarter relies on for its business model.

Zaodai
May 23, 2009

Death before dishonor?
Your terms are accepted.

I haven't even heard of half of those MMOs.
Star Citizen, Ashes (obviously) and Crowfall I've heard of. I didn't even know Life is Feudal was an MMO.

Shy
Mar 20, 2010

Zaodai posted:

Star Citizen, Ashes (obviously) and Crowfall I've heard of. I didn't even know Life is Feudal was an MMO.

CU used to have a bunch of goons fawning over their "progress", who even planned which faction they are going to play! I don't know if they're still trying to develop it.

edit: Pantheon is (was?) being made by some internet famous drug addict. It looks like everquest and tries to appeal to the same audience. Now you know!

Shy fucked around with this message at 19:14 on Sep 18, 2017

Freakazoid_
Jul 5, 2013

Buglord

Zaodai posted:

Life is Feudal had plans to be an MMO but it turns out that was hard so they sold their game as a private server-based thing (and later a town management game) until they could get the funds to actually develop an MMO. They've had a bunch of closed betas for backers and appear to be stuck doing that.

TipsyMcStagger
Apr 13, 2013

This isn't where
I parked my car...
This game a scam yet?

Mulva
Sep 13, 2011
It's about time for my once per decade ban for being a consistently terrible poster.
If half those games release in any form I would be greatly shocked. If this game is one of them I may start assuming I live in some sort of alternate Lovecraft dimension, because that poo poo would defy everything I know about how the world works.

Orv
May 4, 2011

Mulva posted:

If half those games release in any form I would be greatly shocked. If this game is one of them I may start assuming I live in some sort of alternate Lovecraft dimension, because that poo poo would defy everything I know about how the world works.

But Revival got canceled?

Orv fucked around with this message at 09:45 on Sep 19, 2017

Hra Mormo
Mar 6, 2008

The Internet Man
I feel like most of these MMOs are developed by dinguses who have this idea of the perfect player interaction in an MMO and are just absolutely certain their game which has no distinguishing features worth mentioning is the game where that interaction will happen all the time. They basically revolve around the misconception that if you create the environment for it to happen (which already exists in most MMOs) it'll just constantly happen (it doesn't).

Mirificus
Oct 29, 2004

https://twitter.com/real_lethality/status/911378709344595968
https://twitter.com/real_lethality/status/911386145250054144

Loan Dusty Road
Feb 27, 2007
Just read this thread from start to finish. Good times, went great with some Jack and root beer.

Can we just make an ADL Schadenfreude thread already? Because this is the entire reason I read these. I think every sub forum should have a Schadenfreude thread. BFC has the Bad With Money one, MMOHMO needs the ADL one.

MMO HMO keeps me coming back for two reasons. These threads and nostalgia from the Great Era of MMOs. Everything else is just garbage in TYOL2017.

Tanners
Dec 13, 2011

woof

Dustoph posted:

Just read this thread from start to finish. Good times, went great with some Jack and root beer.

Can we just make an ADL Schadenfreude thread already? Because this is the entire reason I read these. I think every sub forum should have a Schadenfreude thread. BFC has the Bad With Money one, MMOHMO needs the ADL one.

MMO HMO keeps me coming back for two reasons. These threads and nostalgia from the Great Era of MMOs. Everything else is just garbage in TYOL2017.

Thats basically what the wildstar thread is, isnt it?

Mirificus
Oct 29, 2004

Dustoph posted:

https://twitter.com/real_lethality/status/865555599584411650
https://twitter.com/real_lethality/status/865569358441050112

DapperDraculaDeer
Aug 4, 2007

Shut up, Nick! You're not Twilight.

Finally, proof that this terrible genre really is dead.

Zaodai
May 23, 2009

Death before dishonor?
Your terms are accepted.

CoffeeBooze posted:

Finally, proof that this terrible genre really is dead.

MMOs can't die as long as we still have Wild West Online, from the makers of WarZ aka Infestation aka "One step shadier than actually buying games from a Russian man in an alley".

DapperDraculaDeer
Aug 4, 2007

Shut up, Nick! You're not Twilight.
Wasnt WarZ basically funded and published by a shady Russian man who probably spent a lot of time in dark alleys?

Zaodai
May 23, 2009

Death before dishonor?
Your terms are accepted.

CoffeeBooze posted:

Wasnt WarZ basically funded and published by a shady Russian man who probably spent a lot of time in dark alleys?

Yes. Who tried to use weasel words in the Steam description, but didn't know English well enough so he ended up just blatantly lying. Like saying the game supported "up to" 64 players per map. When they pointed out it only supported like 38, he said "well 38 is less than 64, so technically it's UP TO 64." Which isn't how that works, but you can kind of see the angle he was trying to pull?

But if you were actually buying games from a Russian man in an alley, there's a chance you get a copy of a good game, and possibly even a legitimate (for Russia) copy of a good game. If you're buying from the guys who made WarZ, you're basically handing your money over to a money laundering front for the Russian mob and getting nothing but a dick punch in return.

Applebee123
Oct 9, 2007

That's 10$ for the spinefund.
These kickstarter MMOs work by saying they will contain a lot of features that are hyped in the community. Then they have problems using their $3m budget to deliver anywhere near what people are expecting. MMO's are one of the most expensive game types to develop and these kickstarter mmos often only have 10% of the budget of a AAA single player game.

30.5 Days
Nov 19, 2006
New World hasn't even announced anything, amazon just said "it's gonna be a game, probably with some survival and massive mutliplayer poo poo".

randombattle
Oct 16, 2008

This hand of mine shines and roars! It's bright cry tells me to grasp victory!

CoffeeBooze posted:

Probably.

It was also developed by the folks behind Big Rigs Over the Road Racing!

Rhymenoserous
May 23, 2008
Hmmm. Alexander DeLarge is excited about yet another MMO. Better settle in for the train wreck.

Mirificus
Oct 29, 2004

https://www.ashesofcreation.com/shop/

Herewaard
Jun 20, 2003

Lipstick Apathy
Clearly they aren't spending their budget on marketers with creativity

Ehud
Sep 19, 2003

football.

So they’re at a point where they’re doing pre-alpha streams of what looks like a pretty standard MMORPG.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VM7d8BpYix4

If the goal was a PVE dungeon crawler then they’re doing pretty good!

Orange DeviI
Nov 9, 2011

by Hand Knit
I unironically prefer tab targeting, good poo poo

Ehud
Sep 19, 2003

football.

please knock Mom! posted:

I unironically prefer tab targeting, good poo poo

I'm the same way.

I like what they've been showing lately. The game looks nice so far, I like the 8x8 class system, I like that the dungeons seem difficult.

The next step though is trying to deliver on all the dynamic content that is supposed to be the selling point of the game lol

joshtothemaxx
Nov 17, 2008

I will have a whole army of zombies! A zombie Marine Corps, a zombie Navy Corps, zombie Space Cadets...

Ehud posted:

The next step though is trying to deliver on all the dynamic content that is supposed to be the selling point of the game lol

Isn’t hat when EQ Next totally poo poo the bed? When they realized (1) our people aren’t good enough to get the voxels system working well and (2) that company we paid to do our dynamic enemies and quest system can’t deliver?

Orange DeviI
Nov 9, 2011

by Hand Knit

Ehud posted:

I'm the same way.

I really hate the people clamoring for more action combat garbage. We have GW2, BDO, TERA, and it always just devolves into mindless buttonmashing unless you're engaging a boss or something. I hope they stick with oldschool. EQ1 with updated graphics and QoL stuff would be amazing.

Ehud
Sep 19, 2003

football.

joshtothemaxx posted:

Isn’t hat when EQ Next totally poo poo the bed? When they realized (1) our people aren’t good enough to get the voxels system working well and (2) that company we paid to do our dynamic enemies and quest system can’t deliver?

Yeah but it's okay because these devs know what not to do now :toot:

I really hate the people clamoring for more action combat garbage. We have GW2, BDO, TERA, and it always just devolves into mindless buttonmashing unless you're engaging a boss or something. I hope they stick with oldschool. EQ1 with updated graphics and QoL stuff would be amazing.

Me too. I like slower, more controlled combat where each skill feels more meaningful.

Freakazoid_
Jul 5, 2013

Buglord

Sounds like you want Pantheon: Rise of the Fallen.

I'd link you the thread but somebody closed it (probably the op).

Mulva
Sep 13, 2011
It's about time for my once per decade ban for being a consistently terrible poster.
God that Monster Coin System is like my kryponite. drat it game you will never ship stop being interesting!

e: Although they are actually making steady, reasonable progress. It might actually ship, and then be horribly disappointing. In mmo terms, this is a wild success.

Mulva fucked around with this message at 11:51 on Feb 13, 2018

RagnarokZ
May 14, 2004

Emperor of the Internet

Ehud posted:

So they’re at a point where they’re doing pre-alpha streams of what looks like a pretty standard MMORPG.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VM7d8BpYix4

If the goal was a PVE dungeon crawler then they’re doing pretty good!

Sweet merciless Eris, that just looks tedious as all hell.

I also enjoy how they show absolutely nothing unique at all, that just looks like a fairly crap older wow instance.

ModeSix
Mar 14, 2009

Yeah. They've really nailed the generic mmorpg look.

It kind of looks like an upgraded version of LOTRO

Midig
Apr 6, 2016

Is the game in any way having progress?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shy
Mar 20, 2010

no