Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Young Freud
Nov 26, 2006

Groovelord Neato posted:

that trailer was really bad cuz it makes the movie look like rosemary's baby tho it'd be difficult to advertize it i think. just like the trailers for noah didn't prepare you for how weird it got.

The first loving poster does that, too.

TheCool69 posted:

Earlier Robotech talk left me very confused. When i was a little child i just to watch this cartoon about cowboys who shot laser guns and had a huge robots who wore cowboy hats.. they might even combine into a giant robot..

I thought it was robotech but i guess it's not.. very strange

That's Saber Rider and the Star Sheriffs a.k.a. Space Musketeer Bismark.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=awxKPdqLHGE

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006
:negative:

Young Freud posted:

The first loving poster does that, too.

So third impact huh

Gatts
Jan 2, 2001

Goodnight Moon

Nap Ghost

Young Freud posted:

That's Saber Rider and the Star Sheriffs a.k.a. Space Musketeer Bismark.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=awxKPdqLHGE

Somehow I seem to remember the guy in Red was supposed to be the lead character but for American audiences they shifted it to the horse riding dude.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Calaveron posted:

So third impact huh

I hate spoiler tagging even vague outlines of plots but see below

Honestly, yeah kind of.

Young Freud
Nov 26, 2006

Calaveron posted:

So third impact huh

Goddamn, I hadn't even thought of the poster for End Of Evangelion being a reference to Rosemary's Baby but now I can't unsee it.

TBF, this didn't start off as a movie poster, I believe it was a Japanese LD cover that eventually was turned into a movie poster when the English release came around.

Also, I just realize that it's been ten years since I last watched it and should do it again.

warez
Mar 13, 2003

HOLA FANTA DONT CHA WANNA?

Calaveron posted:

So third impact huh

^^ yeah, had never made that connection before either (I guess because I tend to not really look for cinema references in anime). Great eye :)

kalel
Jun 19, 2012

trip report: mother! was pretty traumatizing

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

Is there a montage set to the song "Mother" where she like, straps on machine guns and a bandana and slow motion walks towards an enemy base? This is not my expectation but it is my hope.

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!
The best part of mother! Is the ad blitz it for during Bachelor in Paradise. There couldn't have been a single person with knowledge of the film thinking there was audience overlap.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Macdeo Lurjtux posted:

The best part of mother! Is the ad blitz it for during Bachelor in Paradise. There couldn't have been a single person with knowledge of the film thinking there was audience overlap.

Likely those spots were bought long ago, whatever film was intended to take them fell through/didnt have material ready/release shifted so they ran whatever they had that was coming out rather than lose the spots.

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

Mother is the closest I've ever come to having a panic attack.

Young Freud
Nov 26, 2006

warez posted:

^^ yeah, had never made that connection before either (I guess because I tend to not really look for cinema references in anime). Great eye :)

It really depends on the director. You'll see superficial stuff like borrowing (or "borrowing", I should say since they straight-up rip-off) elements like the Terminator or Aliens appearing or Bubblegum Crisis taking heavily from Streets Of Fire, but a lot of more diverse background directors will be more learned in their visual vocabulary. For instance, Oshii's influenced clearly by John Frankenheimer.

Tars Tarkas
Apr 13, 2003

Rock the Mok

A nasty woman, I think you should try is, Jess.

Anyone see American Assassin? I had forgotten all about that movie and it finished second this weekend. It looks like the kind of movie I'm going to go see when my Moviepass finally arrives.

Next weekend has Kingsman The Golden Circle and The LEGO Ninjago Movie, one of those might knock It out of the top spot. Also Friend Request, which looks so bad but it's also the kind of cheap horror film that makes lots of money back even though no one really likes it.

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

I will only know Friend Request as I'm Friends with a Ghost on Facebook! now thanks to RLM

MechanicalTomPetty
Oct 30, 2011

Runnin' down a dream
That never would come to me

Tars Tarkas posted:

Also Friend Request, which looks so bad but it's also the kind of cheap horror film that makes lots of money back even though no one really likes it.

We're also getting into Halloween season so that's another factor to keep in mind.

Are there any other "big" horror films set to come out soon? I thought I heard something about a new Paranormal Activity but I haven't really been keeping track lately.

GrandpaPants
Feb 13, 2006

Free to roam the heavens in man's noble quest to investigate the weirdness of the universe!

MechanicalTomPetty posted:

We're also getting into Halloween season so that's another factor to keep in mind.

Are there any other "big" horror films set to come out soon? I thought I heard something about a new Paranormal Activity but I haven't really been keeping track lately.

I think the Saw reboot is coming soon?

Tars Tarkas
Apr 13, 2003

Rock the Mok

A nasty woman, I think you should try is, Jess.

There is Jigsaw and Boo 2! A Madea Halloween, and something called Happy Death Day

There is a non-horror film called Bad Grandmas coming out, it isn't in the Bad Moms cinematic universe as far as I can tell, but does have Florence Henderson despite the fact she's dead.

got any sevens
Feb 9, 2013

by Cyrano4747
Happy Death Day is the Groundhog Day murder movie

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

Happy Death Day looks like a ton of stupid fun.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ntxS1bBg5o0

It's like the Edge Of Tomorrow of horror movies.

Ape Agitator
Feb 19, 2004

Soylent Green is Monkeys
College Slice

Tars Tarkas posted:

Anyone see American Assassin? I had forgotten all about that movie and it finished second this weekend. It looks like the kind of movie I'm going to go see when my Moviepass finally arrives.

American Assassin is a complete mess of a movie and might be the worst thing I've seen in a while that is still competently shot and directed.  It just fits nowhere at all.

It would feel like an 80s throwback but the hero never says any cool one liners.  It would feel like a hyper-conservative revenge fantasy but the confrontations are constantly shifting among different antagonists of indistinct affiliation and the heroes are never really "taking control" like you get in turbo racist _ has Fallen movies.  It would feel more serious with a provocative title like American Assassin but it never actually feels like it crosses moral/ethical boundaries like Sicario.  And it doesn't actually engage in that "process fascination" like The Hunted with Tommy Lee Jones and Benicio.  The hero is basically self made and they take him "under their wing" for approximately an afternoon before getting off on a plot with a villain who couldn't possibly be less motivated or interesting.  The hero has a very Marty McFly "chicken" trigger word and everyone abuses it constantly and he never addresses or overcomes it.  Even better, they tell him constantly to follow orders and he explicity never does and it would work if it was xXx because they hired him for kind of that reason but instead they're mad about it?

I had hopes it would be some combo of The Hunted and Sicario but it's really just London Has Fallen only without big set pieces, less racist, and a hero who thinks he's in a serious movie.

got any sevens
Feb 9, 2013

by Cyrano4747
How's Keaton's part? He was the main reason i'd see it anyway

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

i wish happy death day didn't have such a bad title.

syscall girl
Nov 7, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe

Vince MechMahon posted:

Mother is the closest I've ever come to having a panic attack.

I saw Requiem for a Dream in the theater with three friends. Two of them agreed with me that throwing themselves off the balcony had occurred to them.

Snowman_McK
Jan 31, 2010

Groovelord Neato posted:

i wish happy death day didn't have such a bad title.

That had a very different and less stupid title when I first saw it advertised, I'm sure of it.

Turns out I was sort of right. It was called 'half to death' which is different, but roughly as stupid.

Ape Agitator posted:

American Assassin is a complete mess of a movie and might be the worst thing I've seen in a while that is still competently shot and directed.  It just fits nowhere at all.

It would feel like an 80s throwback but the hero never says any cool one liners.  It would feel like a hyper-conservative revenge fantasy but the confrontations are constantly shifting among different antagonists of indistinct affiliation and the heroes are never really "taking control" like you get in turbo racist _ has Fallen movies.  It would feel more serious with a provocative title like American Assassin but it never actually feels like it crosses moral/ethical boundaries like Sicario.  And it doesn't actually engage in that "process fascination" like The Hunted with Tommy Lee Jones and Benicio.  The hero is basically self made and they take him "under their wing" for approximately an afternoon before getting off on a plot with a villain who couldn't possibly be less motivated or interesting.  The hero has a very Marty McFly "chicken" trigger word and everyone abuses it constantly and he never addresses or overcomes it.  Even better, they tell him constantly to follow orders and he explicity never does and it would work if it was xXx because they hired him for kind of that reason but instead they're mad about it?

I had hopes it would be some combo of The Hunted and Sicario but it's really just London Has Fallen only without big set pieces, less racist, and a hero who thinks he's in a serious movie.

You can always spot poo poo action movies since their trailers have twenty shots of the hero expertly racking the slide on their pistol rather than doing anything with said pistol.

Ape Agitator
Feb 19, 2004

Soylent Green is Monkeys
College Slice

got any sevens posted:

How's Keaton's part? He was the main reason i'd see it anyway

Half what you'd hope. The training section is where you'd think he'd be the most fun to watch but that's so drat brief that you get depressed. But then there's a later section where he gets to really get silly and that pays off.

I can't say that it would make it worthwhile but if you're going to see it at least you'll have something to watch.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

American Assassin is an adaptation of a book by Vince Flynn, who died in 2013 at only 47. I enjoyed reading his earlier books until he went off the deep end and used his books as a way to get his abhorrent political beliefs onto paper. Flynn was one of the more popular 'airport thriller novel' writers until he died. One of the later books of his I read in like 2008/2009 spent a ridiculous time going into some insanity about abortion which had nothing to do with the plot.

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

syscall girl posted:

I saw Requiem for a Dream in the theater with three friends. Two of them agreed with me that throwing themselves off the balcony had occurred to them.

Requiem made me want to die from depression, but Mother had me literally squirming in my seat and fighting the urge to flee the room due to how uncomfortable parts of it made me feel.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

Tars Tarkas posted:

I saw a ton of ads for it during Sunday Football, looked decent except the lead seems bland as hell while they're trying to make him be a bad rear end. The quality will probably be directly proportional to the amount Michael Keaton is in it.

Grendels Dad
Mar 5, 2011

Popular culture has passed you by.

Snowman_McK posted:

That had a very different and less stupid title when I first saw it advertised, I'm sure of it.

Turns out I was sort of right. It was called 'half to death' which is different, but roughly as stupid.

Disappointed it wasn't 'Edge of Death'. Or 'Live Die Death'.

VAGENDA OF MANOCIDE
Aug 1, 2004

whoa, what just happened here?

College Slice

Grendels Dad posted:

'Live Die Death'.

Redundant.

Chairman Capone
Dec 17, 2008

I Live, I Die, I Live Again!

got any sevens
Feb 9, 2013

by Cyrano4747
Had a dream about an Alien vs Jesus movie :wtc:

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

got any sevens posted:

I'd be more interested in Jesus vs. Predator

Punkin Spunkin
Jan 1, 2010

got any sevens posted:

Who won?

JordanKai
Aug 19, 2011

Get high and think of me.

got any sevens posted:

Too bad they already used up the name 'Alien: Resurrection'.

The MSJ
May 17, 2010

Iron Crowned posted:

I'd be more interested in Jesus vs. Predator

Only if this ends like Nick Cave's Gladiator 2.

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

got any sevens posted:

So you had a dream about Alien 3.

Gatts
Jan 2, 2001

Goodnight Moon

Nap Ghost
If a facehugger manages to get Jesus does this mean the Xenomorph inherits the God's characteristics? Perhaps the movie should follow 3 Predators vs Divine Xenomorphs. I suppose we got a glimpse of that with the end of Prometheus but I'm thinking an army of Xenomorphs racing across a sea towards a band of humans protected by Predators and one goes Moses splitting the sea in half by going nuclear self sacrifice.

EDIT: I still think we haven't gotten a Aliens vs Predator movie that reaches its full potential. The side scrolling arcade game is still the best.

Gatts fucked around with this message at 16:22 on Sep 19, 2017

Beachcomber
May 21, 2007

Another day in paradise.

Slippery Tilde

Gatts posted:

If a facehugger manages to get Jesus does this mean the Xenomorph inherits the God's characteristics? Perhaps the movie should follow 3 Predators vs Divine Xenomorphs. I suppose we got a glimpse of that with the end of Prometheus but I'm thinking an army of Xenomorphs racing across a sea towards a band of humans protected by Predators and one goes Moses splitting the sea in half by going nuclear self sacrifice.

EDIT: I still think we haven't gotten a Aliens vs Predator movie that reaches its full potential. The side scrolling arcade game is still the best.

Do they bleed holy acid?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

Chairman Capone posted:

They Live, They Die, They Live Again!

• Locked thread