Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Tippis
Mar 21, 2008

It's yet another day in the wasteland.

Maw posted:

None of the sort buttons for threads on spectrum actually seem to work, I can't order posts by newest or change the view. How is it this bad?

CIG specced it out and someone competent implemented their spec.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Colostomy Bag
Jan 11, 2016

:lesnick: C-Bangin' it :lesnick:

Maw posted:

None of the sort buttons for threads on spectrum actually seem to work, I can't order posts by newest or change the view. How is it this bad?

lol, you are right. Post it as a bug in the issue council.

Mirificus
Oct 29, 2004

Kings need not raise their voices to be heard

Dante80 posted:

The only thing more hilarious than the project burning in a black hole of bankruptcy would be the game actually coming out.

Just imagine those idiots getting their asses handed to them in non consensual PvP and then making threads about CIG and "Arbitrators Guild" not banning the players that got them.

Nanako the Narc
Sep 6, 2011

Virtual Captain posted:

Sewage ship for sale
Ben smiles broadly to all
a true gamechanger

:golfclap:

Beet Wagon
Oct 19, 2015

:allears:

Quavers
Feb 26, 2016

You clearly don't understand game development
Senior Gameplay Engineer at Amazon:

https://twitter.com/Yakaru/status/909673154431217664

Mne nravitsya
Jul 14, 2017

This looks like the 5 year evolution of Erin Roberts on the project

Mirificus
Oct 29, 2004

https://twitter.com/real_lethality/status/909590405053911040

Top 10 MMOs in Development

Hav
Dec 11, 2009

Fun Shoe

Wait until they finish the project and lay him off.

Roflan
Nov 25, 2007

Mirificus posted:

So MMOs are a dead genre, then? Pretty depressing, since it's my favorite even with its many, many... many problems.

Sunswipe
Feb 5, 2016

by Fluffdaddy

What a loving dumbass.

vyst
Aug 25, 2009

Awesome! posted:

the thought of fat people not being able to wipe their rear end has never even occurred to me

I used to be fat enough where it was a struggle to wipe my rear end. It's pretty sad and depressing. I wouldn't recommend it.

Wuxi
Apr 3, 2012

Publishers are bad, he said, while working 70 hours a week to please his corporate overlord

Colostomy Bag
Jan 11, 2016

Hav posted:

Wait until they finish the project and lay him off.

Yes, pretty much this.

Amazing how you can gauge how old someone is by the amount of poo poo they are willing to tolerate. Or maybe they have an amazing coffee machine and a foosball table.

Crazypoops
Jul 17, 2017

I'm proud that I'm being hosed over by my workplace.

Paramemetic
Sep 29, 2003

Area 51. You heard of it, right?

Fallen Rib

Roflan posted:

So MMOs are a dead genre, then? Pretty depressing, since it's my favorite even with its many, many... many problems.

A lot of times in reckon my fondness for the genre comes more from nostalgia for Ultima Online than for anything mechanical. I mean it is super nice being able to single out a guy and wook the hell out of him, and it's nice having persistent game worlds where doing that is possible, and it's especially nice when you can troll hard like when like 300 people would create level one lumberjacks and go on murder sprees. But yeah it's been a long time since anyone has even pitched that kind of game to my knowledge.

Mirificus
Oct 29, 2004

tuo
Jun 17, 2016

vyst posted:

I used to be fat enough where it was a struggle to wipe my rear end. It's pretty sad and depressing. I wouldn't recommend it.

This post plus the av makes me incredibly sad....glad you managed to change it, seriously! (also ex-fatso)

Colostomy Bag
Jan 11, 2016

IBM is a farce of a company, but it would be cool if Watson actually worked and calls this a scam.

MilesK
Nov 5, 2015

https://twitter.com/Yakaru/status/909798083164172288

This is pretty great

Beet Wagon
Oct 19, 2015

Wuxi posted:

Publishers are bad, he said, while working 70 hours a week to please his corporate overlord

Sunswipe posted:

What a loving dumbass.

I have no idea what you're talking about. It's obvious that all the employees there just can't help but to want to work nights and weekends to appease a stuttering thumb-man. I mean, honestly, it's not like a company would ever go to the very limits of the law to exploit their workers. It's never happened even one time that you can prove!

Seriously, between this and the guy who accused me of un-democratically punishing CIG by posting a funny photoshop, I'm loving amazed Crobbers doesn't have these guys working in a windowless basement stamping out citizen cards or whatever other bullshit merch they're trying to sell.

BMan
Oct 31, 2015

KNIIIIIIFE
EEEEEYYYYE
ATTAAAACK

Mirificus posted:

I looked up one of these and drat, these guys are taking the piss :allears:

big nipples big life
May 12, 2014

BMan posted:

I looked up one of these and drat, these guys are taking the piss :allears:

for 75 you don't even get the loving game lmao

Drunk Theory
Aug 20, 2016

Oven Wrangler

big nipples big life posted:

I'm afraid buying the actual game is passe. We put our money down for an extra three days to reserve your character name these days, thank you very much.

BMan
Oct 31, 2015

KNIIIIIIFE
EEEEEYYYYE
ATTAAAACK

I guess that's a single player version of the game, IDK I've never heard of this game before.

peter gabriel
Nov 8, 2011

Hello Commandos
CIGs real legacy will be that they opened the floodgate to poo poo games charging $hundreds instead of $30 for early access
Just like how Wing Commanders legacy was the big budget evil publisher blockbuster

Bumbler
Dec 17, 2005

I have followed and gotten hyped up over a dozen or more pre-release MMOs over the years, and I got burned on almost every single one. I'm just glad I got through my gullible phase before Kickstarter was a thing, because some of these pricing schemes are manipulative as gently caress. Now I just enjoy the games that exist. There's a lot of them, even good ones.

BMan
Oct 31, 2015

KNIIIIIIFE
EEEEEYYYYE
ATTAAAACK

Dauntless, the monster hunter clone is also doing this poo poo. You can pay high prices to beta test a game that is going to be FREE TO PLAY on launch :psyduck:

Saint Drogo
Dec 26, 2011

Paramemetic posted:

A lot of times in reckon my fondness for the genre comes more from nostalgia for Ultima Online than for anything mechanical. I mean it is super nice being able to single out a guy and wook the hell out of him, and it's nice having persistent game worlds where doing that is possible, and it's especially nice when you can troll hard like when like 300 people would create level one lumberjacks and go on murder sprees. But yeah it's been a long time since anyone has even pitched that kind of game to my knowledge.
Shroud of the Avatar thread in the MMO forum is a loving gem.

Colostomy Bag
Jan 11, 2016

big nipples big life posted:

Yeah, sounds like Star Citizen.

Rad Russian
Aug 15, 2007

Soviet Power Supreme!

Drunk Theory posted:

I'm afraid buying the actual game is passe. We put our money down for an extra three days to reserve your character name these days, thank you very much.

According to Steam reviews the developer abandoned the game like a year ago and there have been no updates. I'm glad they're still collecting money for dreams though. Lethality believes!

I'm legit surprised Shroud of the Avatar is not in the top 10. For those not following MMO threads, Lord British had the gall to run a live fund raising telethon RIGHT after hurricane Harvey happened, and offered in-game rewards for contributions of up to $50K. 100% of the money going to Shroud of Avatar of course. While the game is still an asset-flip tech demo years later, just house and castle jpegs.

Rad Russian fucked around with this message at 17:25 on Sep 18, 2017

Virtual Captain
Feb 20, 2017

Archive Priest of the Stimperial Order

Star Citizen Good, in all things forevermore. Amen.
:pray:
paid one hundred for ship
commando fell through the floor
yeah, pretty much done

big nipples big life
May 12, 2014

BMan posted:

Dauntless, the monster hunter clone is also doing this poo poo. You can pay high prices to beta test a game that is going to be FREE TO PLAY on launch :psyduck:

Capcom murdered that game by announcing Monster Hunter World for PC anyway. I would feel sorry for the Dauntless devs but they are doing typical F2P/Early Acess poo poo so I'm glad Capcom poo poo on them.

Virtual Captain
Feb 20, 2017

Archive Priest of the Stimperial Order

Star Citizen Good, in all things forevermore. Amen.
:pray:
Waiting three dot oh
so backers can finally

hmm and furthermore

Virtual Captain fucked around with this message at 17:19 on Sep 18, 2017

Drunk Theory
Aug 20, 2016

Oven Wrangler

Rad Russian posted:

According to Steam reviews the developer abandoned the game like a year ago and there have been no updates. I'm glad they're still collecting money for dreams though. Lethality believes!

Another successful money funneling project. Sounds like a typical success in this new disruptive game development environment.

Seriously though, I don't know why everyone thinks game development is hard. Here let me lay down the steps.

1. Brainstorm your game. Basically find a genre that looks cool, preferably one with an existing fanbase that hasn't had a game in this type for a few years.
2. Create some graphics in an engine for your game. Only a little bit though, basically a maybe a few minute cut youtube video and some high res screenshots
3. Tell the people about your new game and all the cool features and things it will have.
4. Sell items or perks for your game.
5. Profit.
6. That's it you're done.

Game development in 2017.

Drunk Theory fucked around with this message at 17:22 on Sep 18, 2017

Roflan
Nov 25, 2007

Paramemetic posted:

I mean more in general than just sandboxes. My main MMOs right now are GW2 and FFXIV and I occasionally play old has-beens like SWToR and never weres like LotRO. Basically, I like quite a few big budget MMOs and from what I've seen, those aren't going to get made anymore. Especially since publishers are discovering that gamers are stupid enough to accept MMO monetization tactics in single player games...

big nipples big life
May 12, 2014

Or MMO Monetization tactics without even a game.

Beet Wagon
Oct 19, 2015

Star Citizen 3.0 is definitely right around the corner so I embedded joysticks into my loving desk.

Roflan
Nov 25, 2007

CIG has that market cornered. You have to have at least a veneer of a game to make it palatable to the masses.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Colostomy Bag
Jan 11, 2016

Good lord, a moon buggy exploding on a ramp isn't a game?