Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Tricky D
Apr 1, 2005

I love um!

A Wizard of Goatse posted:

My (25M) fiancée's (27F) father (55M) is demanding a bride price. I need advice.

Dude should probably just suck it up and explain to her how separating her from her family is actually really good.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

A Wizard of Goatse
Dec 14, 2014

Ham Sandwiches posted:

It's these tiresome loving chiding remarks that I love the most about this thread. Every single time someone disagrees with the thread consensus, Wizard of Goatse finds the most relevant burn from his excel sheet w/r/t that poster and that's how you know the Thread Has Moved On

Dude you are a person that has spent months systematically insulting other people for disagreeing but post just little enough to avoid getting the same treatment, I think you're a real jackass, unironically

A few posters here genuinely make discussing the articles unenjoyable to the point that I just read the threads on reddit. It's great to see that the burns persist and the target simply shifts to whoever disagrees with the thread next.

Despite the bar for providing good content ITT being copy+paste you have literally never posted anything here but drivel about yourself, so if my posts have encouraged you to discontinue they're working just tragically far too slowly.

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe

Ham Sandwiches posted:

It's great to see that the burns persist and the target simply shifts to whoever disagrees with the thread next.

No, it's always just the same couple of people. Somehow several dozen other people manage to routinely disagree with each other without being so insufferable that the entire thread unites against them. What a really weird and bizarre coincidence.

Ham Sandwiches
Jul 7, 2000

Despite the bar for providing good content ITT being copy+paste you have literally never posted anything here but drivel about yourself, so if my posts have encouraged you to discontinue they're working just tragically far too slowly.

Dude when you aren't insulting me you are insulting ArbitraryC, when you aren't insulting them you are insulting Mirthless, what the gently caress is wrong with you? Are you the self appointed thread police that is there to make some garbage personal comment when you disagree?

Stop being a piece of poo poo in the thread, you aren't funny, and I don't know why you have appointed yourself as some kind of backseat mod but you should 100% stop helldumping posters and post about the stories instead of insulting everyone else in the thread?? food for thought

cumshitter
Sep 27, 2005

by Fluffdaddy
How obvious is it that you're gonna get a handjob if you walk into a handjob massage parlor? The few massages I've gotten have been in legit places so I'm not sure what the seedy ones actually look like.

Like is it super obvious to the point where it'll have a name like A Helping Hand and the receptionist will make terrible handjob puns like, "Our services come in handy when you need to take a load off!" while winking and bobbing their eyebrows and making a jerkoff gesture with one hand?

Jim Barris
Aug 13, 2009

cumshitter posted:

How obvious is it that you're gonna get a handjob if you walk into a handjob massage parlor? The few massages I've gotten have been in legit places so I'm not sure what the seedy ones actually look like.

Like is it super obvious to the point where it'll have a name like A Helping Hand and the receptionist will make terrible handjob puns like, "Our services come in handy when you need to take a load off!" while winking and bobbing their eyebrows and making a jerkoff gesture with one hand?
I've only ever been to such a place twice but if you wanted a handy you had to call ahead. There wasn't really any secret code or anything but when you made a reservation instead of just straight up walking in that was how you got a handjob with your massage. The guy who turned me onto the place didn't have to do that as he was a regular patron. He said they'd blow him but I'm not sure he wasn't lying.

A Wizard of Goatse
Dec 14, 2014

Ham Sandwiches I couldn't care less about disagreeing with you in this thread, cause it's not actually a thread I come to for incredibly tedious speculative arguments about anonymous strangers' lives; it's a thread I come to for fun stories and funny jokes. I would much rather just ignore you, because you never say anything worth reading, but the thread has a lot of people without the self-control to avoid rewarding your utterly worthless attention-seeking behavior and left to its own devices the whole thing just becomes endless pages of going in circles about just how loving stupid you are that are unreadable to anyone but you. Occasionally pointedly refusing to engage and just calling you a loving moron breaks the terrible cycle and allows the thread to be about anything but you again. I just wish it worked more quickly, or that insults really did make you leave for reddit instead of glomming onto the attention.

Landlord taking pictures while sleeping

quote:

My landlord has a cleaning lady come by once a month. Yesterday while my SO and I were asleep, we heard someone downstairs, we went to see who it was and we caught the cleaning lady taking pictures of some PII that was left out on the desk. We asked the cleaning lady to leave, and I then called the landlord to tell her what had happened. The landlord then tells me that she had let the cleaning lady in and asked her to take pictures as "evidence" that we're actively destroying the place. Very uncomfortable conversation ensues, and tells me that since I am no longer allowing the cleaning lady to come into the apartment, that she will be by to perform weekly wellness checks.

What do I do now? How do I keep this crazy person away and get out of this apartment?

Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dec 22, 2005

GET LOSE, YOU CAN'T COMPARE WITH MY POWERS

cumshitter posted:

People probably don't know how common they are, at least in big places. I live in NYC and my sister came and visited with a friend, who saw one and was immediately excited and said "lets go get massages". I had to give her the bad news about what sort of place it (likely?) was...

ranbo das
Oct 16, 2013

I drive by this place a couple times a week called Tokyo Massage which has bad flame graphics all over their sign. I don't have to go in to figure out its a seedy handjob place.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!

Straight White Shark posted:

No, it's always just the same couple of people. Somehow several dozen other people manage to routinely disagree with each other without being so insufferable that the entire thread unites against them. What a really weird and bizarre coincidence.

Because this thread has a spiraling effect were if you have made a bad post in the past posters will jump all of ver themselves to make an easy joke regardless of relevance.

It makes this thread really tedious sometimes.

Ham Sandwiches
Jul 7, 2000

Ham Sandwiches I couldn't care less about disagreeing with you in this thread, cause it's not actually a thread I come to for incredibly tedious speculative arguments about anonymous strangers' lives; it's a thread I come to for fun stories and funny jokes. I would much rather just ignore you, because you never say anything worth reading, but the thread has a lot of people without the self-control to avoid rewarding your utterly worthless attention-seeking behavior and left to its own devices the whole thing just becomes endless pages of going in circles about just how loving stupid you are that are unreadable to anyone but you. Occasionally pointedly refusing to engage and just calling you a loving moron breaks the terrible cycle and allows the thread to be about anything but you again. I just wish it worked more quickly, or that insults really did make you leave for reddit instead of glomming onto the attention.
Since I haven't posted here in a while, and I'm commenting on you making GBS threads on ArbC and Mirthless for posting, I don't know why you're trying to make this about me. This is about you and something you are doing. Your tiresome "HERE THEY GO AGAIN" dumb loving jokes when people post feed into the endless parade of white noise posters trying to get in on the sick burns and it makes the thread loving lovely

No one makes you do it, and you have the power to stop. I urge you to use this power.

It's amazing that CharlesTheHammer understands 100% what I'm talking about but you are playing willfully dense!! Or are actually dense!!

A Wizard of Goatse
Dec 14, 2014

This is something that applies, to a lesser extent, to ArbitraryC and Mirthless, the exception being that at points in the past they have made good posts, they just often choose not to and instead start a stupid dozen-page argument about nothing. You haven't, you can't, get out.

HerStuddMuffin
Aug 10, 2014

YOSPOS
/r/relationships: Is it legal in this thread to have bitchslap fights to the death?

Ham Sandwiches
Jul 7, 2000

This is something that applies, to a lesser extent, to ArbitraryC and Mirthless, the exception being that at points in the past they have made good posts, they just often choose not to. You haven't, you can't, get out.

No dude, you don't get to chase posters you don't like out of the thread by making GBS threads up the thread whenever they post and turning it into personal bullshit, and you bitch endlessly about those people and don't stop insulting them so uhhh

[edit]Like just get over yourself and post about the reddit stories like everyone else, how is this hard?

Ham Sandwiches fucked around with this message at 18:53 on Sep 18, 2017

Barudak
May 7, 2007

If it says business massage they will gently caress you.

Also, dude with the Hmong fiance should point out that the going rate for a vietnamese woman to be sold into sexual slavery is only about $3,000 so hes charging an insulting price.

Doc Hawkins
Jun 15, 2010

Dashing? But I'm not even moving!

Tricky D posted:

Dude should probably just suck it up and explain to her how separating her from her family is actually really good.

Very tragic historic resonance from an American telling this to a Hmong, unless :thejoke:. What's next, telling them he'll definitely pay for the festivities and just not showing up on the date?

If I were in his position I wouldn't pass up the chance for a traditional wedding. I have friends who had two wedding ceremonies, partly to satisfy grannies on both sides of their personal cultural divide, partly because poo poo, two parties, right? No idea how much they spent, but it can't have been too much: they were in school at the time, and the grannies must have known the score.

Doc Hawkins
Jun 15, 2010

Barudak posted:

Also, dude with the Hmong fiance should point out that the going rate for a vietnamese woman to be sold into sexual slavery is only about $3,000 so hes charging an insulting price.

Friend, this is not a good look for anyone, but also for you especially.

Modus Pwnens
Dec 29, 2004
I just got my haircut at a strip mall that has, from left to right, a sports bar, a church, a handjob parlor, a salon, a dentist.

Dienes
Nov 4, 2009

dee
doot doot dee
doot doot doot
doot doot dee
dee doot doot
doot doot dee
dee doot doot

College Slice

cumshitter posted:

The biggest tipoff I've seen is their hours of operation. There were a few massage parlors I've driven by that were open until like 2am. They were not the legit massage parlors.

Edit: Oh! And one time I drove by one with the sign "TRUCKERS WELCOME." I'll let you figure out how legit it was.

VictorianQueerLit
Aug 25, 2017

cumshitter posted:

Actually it's not that obvious at all despite what people seem to think. It's completely plausible that the dude just obliviously walked dick first into the start of a happy ending which isn't his fault. Goons are being goons and expecting something out of a movie with a flickering OPEN sign at a place called the "STIFF SERPENT" or something.

You'd think of all people Goons would be the ones to be the experts on paying for sex.

Modus Pwnens
Dec 29, 2004
They all look basically the same but the biggest tip-off is when you search for reviews before letting a stranger mess with your back and the top results are Backpage and rubmappers or whatever it's called.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Doc Hawkins posted:

Friend, this is not a good look for you, specifically.

The concept of a bride price is offensive as gently caress and no different than saying your daughter exists only for your, personal monetary gain. There is no situation where I would not insult that man and burn any bridge with him I could to the point of building extra bridges, like in this example, to burn in front of him.

I could go for days about the hosed up kidnapping and extortion ring that goes on for Vietnamese women into China alone but I wont, because it makes me unreasonably mad and this isnt the thread for it.

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe

CharlestheHammer posted:

Because this thread has a spiraling effect were if you have made a bad post in the past posters will jump all of ver themselves to make an easy joke regardless of relevance.

It makes this thread really tedious sometimes.

Not really though. It's always the same couple of problem posters and when they're blissfully gone the thread just continues smoothly without turning on anyone else. Random people will still take weird dumb stands and the thread will argue and then everyone just moves on and forgets.

Tricky D
Apr 1, 2005

I love um!

Doc Hawkins posted:

Very tragic historic resonance from an American telling this to a Hmong, unless :thejoke:. What's next, telling them he'll definitely pay for the festivities and just not showing up on the date?

If I were in his position I wouldn't pass up the chance for a traditional wedding. I have friends who had two wedding ceremonies, partly to satisfy grannies on both sides of their personal cultural divide, partly because poo poo, two parties, right? No idea how much they spent, but it can't have been too much: they were in school at the time, and the grannies must have known the score.

I'm only half serious. But if I were in the position of being demanded a loving bride price, telling the father in law to gently caress off for life would be my automatic response.

ArbitraryC
Jan 28, 2009
Pick a number, any number
Pillbug

This is something that applies, to a lesser extent, to ArbitraryC and Mirthless, the exception being that at points in the past they have made good posts, they just often choose not to and instead start a stupid dozen-page argument about nothing. You haven't, you can't, get out.

You do randomly bring me up a lot when I haven't posted in this thread for like half a week, and it's almost always you specifically throwing a random jab at me in a topic I haven't even popped in to discuss. It is kinda weird dude.

Doc Hawkins
Jun 15, 2010

Barudak posted:

The concept of a bride price is offensive as gently caress and no different than saying your daughter exists only for your, personal monetary gain. There is no situation where I would not insult that man and burn any bridge with him I could to the point of building extra bridges, like in this example, to burn in front of him.

I could go for days about the hosed up kidnapping and extortion ring that goes on for Vietnamese women into China alone but I wont, because it makes me unreasonably mad and this isnt the thread for it.

Okay, good explanation. I'm glad I didn't express my concern less charitably, but I apologise for it just the same.

I am unsettled by how informed you are on these subjects, but then they are unsettling subjects.

blarzgh
Apr 14, 2009

SNITCHIN' RANDY
Grimey Drawer
Am I reading it wrong or is Hmong dad actually saying, "help us pay for 2nd ceremony, or help pay for brothers's ceremony" and calling it "bride price"?

Submarine Sandpaper
May 27, 2007

blarzgh posted:

Am I reading it wrong or is Hmong dad actually saying, "help us pay for 2nd ceremony, or help pay for brothers's ceremony" and calling it "bride price"?

Does it matter? It's the bride's family responsibility to pay for the wedding :downs:

Mirthless
Mar 27, 2011

by the sex ghost

cumshitter posted:

With some places it's really obvious (blackout curtains, name like "CHINA GIRL MASSAGE" or "EBONY CARESS") but I understand with a lot of massage places they're just renting space and the owner has no idea (by design) what their tenants are doing. There's kind of a strip club vibe to the compensation schemes at many massage parlors. You could have a seemingly legitimate massage spa with 8 out of 10 people working there doing legitimate massage, and the remaining 2 out of 10 blowing everyone they see.

I think we would need to know the name of the place to judge whether it should have been obvious

webmeister
Jan 31, 2007

The answer is, mate, because I want to do you slowly. There has to be a bit of sport in this for all of us. In the psychological battle stakes, we are stripped down and ready to go. I want to see those ashen-faced performances; I want more of them. I want to be encouraged. I want to see you squirm.

blarzgh posted:

I'm reading it as dad saying "for us to gain face we must have an extra Hmong wedding with 400+ people, most of whom you don't know and have never met. We are happy to pay for this, but you must give us $5000 to cover the costs"

Mirthless
Mar 27, 2011

by the sex ghost

You have posted more than anyone else in this thread except Pick (you passed me 200 posts ago) and I would bet that at least 1 in 6 of your posts in this thread are specifically about other people's posting habits

Pick a new gimmick

Tricky D
Apr 1, 2005

I love um!
I wonder how they arrived at that $5000 figure.

PetraCore
Jul 20, 2017

👁️🔥👁️👁️👁️BE NOT👄AFRAID👁️👁️👁️🔥👁️

13Pandora13 posted:

$5k for a ceremony accommodating 400 loving people? That's a steal, he should do it, there's probably going to be great food.

Yeah, I mean, if you consider it the cost for the organization of the ceremony instead of literally paying for your fiancee as a piece of property, it makes a lot more sense. The question is just if they consider the ceremony worth it.

EDIT: Also I think it's fine to be wigged out by the framing of it as a bride price. I'm just wondering if it's a case where like, the dad thinks it's more acceptable to ask for the money under the pretense of a bride price, and everyone involved is supposed to just know that it's really about paying for the ceremony, so there's a cultural disconnect.

PetraCore fucked around with this message at 19:29 on Sep 18, 2017

Pivotal Lever
Sep 9, 2003

13Pandora13 posted:

$5k for a ceremony accommodating 400 loving people? That's a steal, he should do it, there's probably going to be great food.

It's totally worth it, and Hmong people know how to throw a motherfucking party, roast pig and beer for all.

Mirthless
Mar 27, 2011

by the sex ghost

webmeister posted:

I'm reading it as dad saying "for us to gain face we must have an extra Hmong wedding with 400+ people, most of whom you don't know and have never met. We are happy to pay for this, but you must give us $5000 to cover the costs"

there's a weird xenophobic vibe here that is kind of gross tbh

Panfilo
Aug 27, 2011
Probation
Can't post for 6 days!
White people can be pretty bad about being culturally insensitive. If the hmong family is kind and helpful to the couple then compromising can go a long way in the future.

I've seen some white guys throw the biggest tantrum about stuff like this even though their in laws do a million things for them in exchange. And yeah hmong have great parties. $5,000 is a steal for a big wedding considering what a lot of white people pay for a fraction of as many guests.

Benagain
Oct 10, 2007

Can you see that I am serious?
Fun Shoe
He repeatedly says that his fiance isn't feeling it either and is feeling forced into it or she'll be cut off from the family.

Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dec 22, 2005

GET LOSE, YOU CAN'T COMPARE WITH MY POWERS
Just tell them you generally charge a $5000 appearance fee for weekend engagements but as your gift to them, this time it's free. Great party or no it's spending your saturday surrounded by 400 strangers - it's something I'd do for the sake of my fiancee but paying for the privilege, especially if my fiancee were already on the fence, would make me pretty uneasy.

I'd be highly inclined to tell them to go scratch but then again, I'm 100% comfortable doing that with my own family when it needs doing as well, no double standards there.

Jeffrey of YOSPOS fucked around with this message at 20:23 on Sep 18, 2017

PetraCore
Jul 20, 2017

👁️🔥👁️👁️👁️BE NOT👄AFRAID👁️👁️👁️🔥👁️

Benagain posted:

He repeatedly says that his fiance isn't feeling it either and is feeling forced into it or she'll be cut off from the family.
Yeah, that's the barometer to me.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Palpek
Dec 27, 2008

Do you feel it, Zach?
My coffee warned me about it.

They both don't want a big wedding with hundreds of strangers no matter what tradition it originates from. They have a pretty clear vision of what they actually want and they're willing to pay for it. The additional factor is them being manipulated by the father by using the actual bride as laverege for him to get what he wants. There are other ways to communicate that without pulling that poo poo. Don't have a wedding strictly for your family's amusement, there are countless examples of that turning an important day in people's lives into something they don't want to ever remember. Have it the way you want it even if you have to sacrifice a roast pig for it.

Palpek fucked around with this message at 20:50 on Sep 18, 2017