Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Jealous Cow
Apr 4, 2002

by Fluffdaddy
I've had a stainless steel since the original launch and have worn it almost every day, so I think I feel comfortable upgrading to a new watch, but I want to get the white ceramic edition. The series 2s seem to go for <$800 used, so like $450 savings off new for the series 3.

I'm never more than a few feet from my phone so I'm not sure the LTE radio matters that much. Is the S0 -> S2 upgrade good enough to get at least another 2 years out of it?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

WithoutTheFezOn
Aug 28, 2005
Oh no
Seems unlikely that watch tech will evolve enough to make the S0 obsolete this decade, but who knows.

Not sure I’d buy a used watch (I.e. battery) if I wanted it maximize the chance it lasts two years, though.

Haggins
Jul 1, 2004

Jealous Cow posted:

I'm never more than a few feet from my phone so I'm not sure the LTE radio matters that much. Is the S0 -> S2 upgrade good enough to get at least another 2 years out of it?

I think it's only worth if you want to go places without your phone. Like to the beach, running, water sports, other outdoor stuff, just want to disconnect or maybe you work in a place where watches are ok but cell phones aren't. I'm getting one to try disconnect while I'm out doing stuff and not be such an iPhone zombie. Basically I'm looking forward to it allowing me to stay in contact with people and be able to use maps and call an Uber without being tempted to check Facebook every 5 minutes.

Ultimate Mango
Jan 18, 2005

Wow so you scratched through the black? With the way I have scratched my watches I wonder if I will do the same. Or I just need to get smart and take off my watch when doing things that can scratch it?

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Jealous Cow posted:

I've had a stainless steel since the original launch and have worn it almost every day, so I think I feel comfortable upgrading to a new watch, but I want to get the white ceramic edition. The series 2s seem to go for <$800 used, so like $450 savings off new for the series 3.

Considering they're keeping the S1 around for at least another generation, I imagine you can get two years out of an S2.

Jealous Cow
Apr 4, 2002

by Fluffdaddy
Thanks goons.

Maybe I'll wait and see how WatchOS 4 is on my S0. I currently don't hit 10% until around bedtime anyway so I'm good on battery.

Haggins
Jul 1, 2004

Think it's worth getting the Apple car on the s3 stainless? I plan on keeping it at least 3 years and my S0 sport has a small crack in the corner. I'm always running around an industrial environment and smacking it around a lot. I'm assuming I'll probably be ok since the SS is sapphire.

rage-saq
Mar 21, 2001

Thats so ninja...
One thing to keep in mind is that the Series 3 represents a pretty big performance jump over the Series 1/2 (70% improvement claimed), which itself represented a huge performance jump over the S0. Apple didn’t put a number on the improvement between the first chip and the second, but it was pretty huge. This means the performance delta between the S0 and the S3 should be enormous, like 300% plus huge.
I know the day to day tasks on my Series 2, like checking alerts, dictating with Siri, checking the forecast with dark sky, etc are much quicker getting in and getting out.
With the watch achieving a lot more independence on the LTE model I can see that extra processing power coming into play as applications start being developed to use it.
To me, if you are putting good money (over $500) on a SS or Ceramic, get the S3 even if you don’t plan on using the LTE.

Smashing Link
Jul 8, 2003

I'll keep chucking bombs at you til you fall off that ledge!
Grimey Drawer
Soon to be first-time Apple Watch owner here (aluminum S3 with LTE). I really only ordered it to be able to stay in touch with my family while running. Interested to hear what features people think are useful and well-implemented in the UI that I can look forward to and which ones I shouldn't waste my time with. I'm hoping I use it a lot for my actual telephonic needs and get out of the habit of constantly checking my phone / wasting time browsing stupid poo poo.

jink
May 8, 2002

Drop it like it's Hot.
Taco Defender

Quantum of Phallus posted:

Sounds like an issue, the GPS on mine is really accurate.

Yeah, that's what I figured. Difficult to determine where the fault is; sounds like a call to Apple is in order.

Violator posted:

Do you mean the GPS isn't reporting accurately (i.e., the Workout app doesn't show you the correct path you took on the map) or that the Health app is reporting your workout statistics (i.e., how long you worked out) correctly?

Both; the map view doesn't show anything close to the route I took. The overall reporting is waaay off as well. :(

Dick Nipples posted:

Time to visit the fruit stand.

My S2 is great at that scenario.

Crap. That's what I figured. The closest one to me is 172mi away.

rage-saq
Mar 21, 2001

Thats so ninja...
[quote="“Smashing Link”" post="“476495230”"]
Soon to be first-time Apple Watch owner here (aluminum S3 with LTE). I really only ordered it to be able to stay in touch with my family while running. Interested to hear what features people think are useful and well-implemented in the UI that I can look forward to and which ones I shouldn’t waste my time with. I’m hoping I use it a lot for my actual telephonic needs and get out of the habit of constantly checking my phone / wasting time browsing stupid poo poo.
[/quote]

I think if you dismiss the idea that the Apple watches functionality doesn’t resemble that of a normal watch you will be fine.
I use my watch for the following things in order of how frequently they are used. I exclusively use the modular face which packs the most functionality in.
1: glance to check the time / date / temperature / calendar
2: check notifications to see if I need to deal with an email (I get about 60-70 a day)
3: respond to texts via Siri
4: control music played via airpods from my phone

Haggins
Jul 1, 2004

rage-saq posted:

One thing to keep in mind is that the Series 3 represents a pretty big performance jump over the Series 1/2 (70% improvement claimed), which itself represented a huge performance jump over the S0. Apple didn’t put a number on the improvement between the first chip and the second, but it was pretty huge. This means the performance delta between the S0 and the S3 should be enormous, like 300% plus huge.
I know the day to day tasks on my Series 2, like checking alerts, dictating with Siri, checking the forecast with dark sky, etc are much quicker getting in and getting out.
With the watch achieving a lot more independence on the LTE model I can see that extra processing power coming into play as applications start being developed to use it.
To me, if you are putting good money (over $500) on a SS or Ceramic, get the S3 even if you don’t plan on using the LTE.

That's the big thing I'm looking forward to with a S3 coming from S0. Most apps are pretty laggy and sometimes Siri falls apart. When things work, it's great but it gets frustrating when I have to wait for something to work, usually easier to just pull the phone out (like when using dark sky). I'm assuming there won't be any problems with the new watch.

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

TFW you see Flyers goaltending.
Grimey Drawer
The Apple Watch is great for keeping your phone in your pocket more, especially for travel and for being out with friends. It's not life and drag, but it's really nice once you start using it.

TraderStav
May 19, 2006

It feels like I was standing my entire life and I just sat down

Duckman2008 posted:

The Apple Watch is great for keeping your phone in your pocket more, especially for travel and for being out with friends. It's not life and drag, but it's really nice once you start using it.

I thought this as well, but I've encountered people think I'm looking at the time as if I'm boring them. It's a weird tradeoff. I'm trying to be more respectful of their time by not pulling out my phone every buzz to see if it's something important but instead they think I'm impatient.

I'm actually looking to sell my S2, not a great time to make that call with the 3 dropping. I need to use my AC to make it sellable (good chip taken out of the thick part of the glass by the band, yikes!) and now am not sure I'd clear $200 after expenses ($69 replacement) even with the 1 extra AC claim on it for a year.

Stupid me.

japtor
Oct 28, 2005

Ultimate Mango posted:

Wow so you scratched through the black? With the way I have scratched my watches I wonder if I will do the same. Or I just need to get smart and take off my watch when doing things that can scratch it?
Well like I said I think I'm the only one in this thread to have scratched theirs, and I've had it since space black started shipping (like July 2015). And the only times I've been able to scratch it is against the indoor rock climbing walls (presumably actual outdoor surfaces have a decent chance too, depending on composition), and for these scratches it was pretty obvious when it happened. There was a good amount of force involved and it was audibly grinding against the wall (for any climbers out there, it was poor technique where I was hanging on with my wrist vs my hands/fingers).

And those walls can scratch the sapphire too, to give a sense of how much hardness is needed to scratch the black coating. Like I can't think of anything in normal circumstances that would scratch the drat thing. What things were you thinking of that might scratch it?

Speaking of scratches, I forget where the ceramic rates but it's also in the same ballpark afaik. The difference is that it's the same color/material all the way through, so even if it does scratch it'd be less visible (but not polishable like plain stainless). I've read about self healing properties too but hell if I know if Apple's ceramic mix has that.

Haggins posted:

Think it's worth getting the Apple car on the s3 stainless? I plan on keeping it at least 3 years and my S0 sport has a small crack in the corner. I'm always running around an industrial environment and smacking it around a lot. I'm assuming I'll probably be ok since the SS is sapphire.
In theory sapphire is gonna be more crack prone since it's harder, but in any case it's nice piece of mind. My main problem with it is that there's only coverage for two incidents, and only two years if you just plan to keep it as long as possible. There's always third party warranties but I'm not sure how they are value wise for the watch vs Applecare.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

So does Os4 really get rid of the music apps ability to select music from your iPhone :raise: ?
That’s a HUGE drawback for me

Ouhei
Oct 23, 2008

:minnie: Cat Army :minnie:

rage-saq posted:

I have a S0 now and for most of my use it's fine (mainly just checking notifications and workout tracking, with some dictation for texts every once and a while). It gets jammed up every once and a while so I've been thinking of going with a non-LTE S3 in hopes that it speeds all that stuff up. I'm not a heavy user so I'm not in a huge rush, but I think I'll jump on the S3 train at some point.

I just want those new sport loop bands, so cool looking. Super annoying I can't buy a 42mm with one of those. Makes me kinda wish they sold just the watch without a band.

Sock The Great
Oct 1, 2006

It's Lonely At The Top. But It's Comforting To Look Down Upon Everyone At The Bottom
Grimey Drawer

Ouhei posted:

I have a S0 now and for most of my use it's fine (mainly just checking notifications and workout tracking, with some dictation for texts every once and a while). It gets jammed up every once and a while so I've been thinking of going with a non-LTE S3 in hopes that it speeds all that stuff up. I'm not a heavy user so I'm not in a huge rush, but I think I'll jump on the S3 train at some point.

I just want those new sport loop bands, so cool looking. Super annoying I can't buy a 42mm with one of those. Makes me kinda wish they sold just the watch without a band.

https://www.amazon.com/OULUOQI-Sili...42mm+sport+band

$9 on Amazon

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

He's talking about the nylon ones, I think.

Ouhei
Oct 23, 2008

:minnie: Cat Army :minnie:

Endless Mike posted:

He's talking about the nylon ones, I think.

Yeah, this thing: https://www.apple.com/shop/product/MQVX2AM/A/38mm-black-sport-loop

If you want a GPS only 42mm, you cannot order it with the sport loop, only sport bands or nike sport bands. I'll probably order this whenever I upgrade: https://www.apple.com/shop/buy-watc...L/A&step=detail

Smashing Link
Jul 8, 2003

I'll keep chucking bombs at you til you fall off that ledge!
Grimey Drawer

rage-saq posted:

I think if you dismiss the idea that the Apple watches functionality doesn’t resemble that of a normal watch you will be fine.
I use my watch for the following things in order of how frequently they are used. I exclusively use the modular face which packs the most functionality in.
1: glance to check the time / date / temperature / calendar
2: check notifications to see if I need to deal with an email (I get about 60-70 a day)
3: respond to texts via Siri
4: control music played via airpods from my phone

Cool, sounds similar to my typical use pattern with my phone.

TraderStav
May 19, 2006

No matter if I turn notifications off in the Watch app, News keeps sending me updates. I do enjoy having them come to my phone so am hesitant to turn them off altogether. Is this a bug that (hopefully) will be address in WatchOS4? Or has anyone figured out a solution? It's very annoying. I'm trying to keep my notifications on my wrist to be actual people communicating to me and not getting an update that Trump did something stupid again.

Taima
Dec 31, 2006

tfw you're peeing next to someone in the lineup and they don't know

That is amazing, I've never seen anything like that before. Not even close.

I wonder if scratching it initially gives a better surface area for further scratches to form, thus making the effect worsen over time.

In any case, I am actually impressed. I am close to people at apple and have seen my share of space black watches. This is just a whole other level from anything I've heard of or seen.

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

Never owned a smart watch before, so I have a couple questions. I'm considering the LTE version for my fiancee. She is a runner (just got accepted to Boston 2018 yesterday actually :)). She runs in the dark at 5am multiple times a week and brings her phone with her so I can Find My Friends her just to make sure she's not dead in a ditch somewhere. She wears a Garmin to track the runs.

- I assume I could Find My Friends her watch if I got her the LTE version? Do we know anything about that yet?
- For the GPS in the S2 or whatever, how accurate is it compared to a Garmin? Do most people use RunKeeper/Strava? Or does Apple have a built-in tracker?

I'm trying to mash 2 devices into 1 small one since she hates carrying her phone or wearing it in a belt.

Also, what's the difference between the "regular" Apple Watches and the Nike one? Is it just extra faces or whatever, or are there actual, meaningful differences?

Henrik Zetterberg fucked around with this message at 20:40 on Sep 18, 2017

rage-saq
Mar 21, 2001

Thats so ninja...

Henrik Zetterberg posted:

Never owned a smart watch before, so I have a couple questions. I'm considering the LTE version for my fiancee. She is a runner (just got accepted to Boston 2018 yesterday actually :)). She runs in the dark at 5am multiple times a week and brings her phone with her so I can Find My Friends her just to make sure she's not dead in a ditch somewhere. She wears a Garmin to track the runs.

- I assume I could Find My Friends her watch if I got her the LTE version? Do we know anything about that yet?
- For the GPS in the S2 or whatever, how accurate is it compared to a Garmin?

I'm trying to mash 2 devices into 1 small one since she hates carrying her phone or wearing it in a belt.

Also, what's the difference between the "regular" Apple Watches and the Nike one? Is it just extra faces or whatever, or are there actual, meaningful differences?

I don't think it has been explicitly stated but yes I assume that Find My Friends will update frequently via the Apple Watch over LTE.

Agronox
Feb 4, 2005
Congrats to the GF, qualifying for Boston is a sweet accomplishment.

TraderStav
May 19, 2006

- For the GPS in the S2 or whatever, how accurate is it compared to a Garmin? Do most people use RunKeeper/Strava? Or does Apple have a built-in tracker?

Not that this conflicts with her use case, but I was always irritated that I couldn't both track my activity through Apple AND use the watch version of Strava to capture my run. The watch doesn't do a good job of multitasking at all.

Yes, I realize the answer is just to pick one and go for it, but I like Activity AND Strava!

doingitwrong
Jul 27, 2013

Faces and strap. For awhile the straps were exclusive but now you can get them seperate.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

TraderStav posted:

Not that this conflicts with her use case, but I was always irritated that I couldn't both track my activity through Apple AND use the watch version of Strava to capture my run. The watch doesn't do a good job of multitasking at all.

Yes, I realize the answer is just to pick one and go for it, but I like Activity AND Strava!

Strava uploads all the data into activity though?

japtor
Oct 28, 2005

Taima posted:

That is amazing, I've never seen anything like that before. Not even close.

I wonder if scratching it initially gives a better surface area for further scratches to form, thus making the effect worsen over time.

In any case, I am actually impressed. I am close to people at apple and have seen my share of space black watches. This is just a whole other level from anything I've heard of or seen.
That all happened in one go afaik (well once per side). I climbed a good amount with my first one too and the only thing on there was like a single scratch across the black and sapphire near the top. This one was just...extraordinarily bad, and probably wouldn't have even happened outdoors (cause irregular rock face vs flat wall). Outside of what I did I can't really think of another way of accidentally pulling off that much damage in every day use for most people.

I vaguely recall reading somewhere that Find My Friends would automatically switch over to the watch when they're separated, but not 100% sure on that. In the S2 people have complained about GPS accuracy, ymmv there I guess. Time will tell with the S3 but worst case I'd just assume it still won't be as accurate as a dedicated running watch. And yeah Apple's workout app has tracking too, but if she already uses one of the other apps I guess use them unless they suck on the watch.

The Nike ones have a few extra faces, and an extra color (or more?), not sure if it's different per watch but mine as the "volt" color (I got the black/volt watch one). I like the color and the faces...not so much a fan of the unchangeable Nike complication on them though.

TraderStav
May 19, 2006

MarcusSA posted:

Does it use the watch HR though? I remember there being a compelling reason as to why I wanted both, as if there wasn't a good overlap.

It's been a while.

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

MarcusSA posted:

Yeah if you use Strava on an iPhone, it sticks the data in the Health app. I would assume it would work the same way on the watch?

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

TraderStav posted:

Does it use the watch HR though? I remember there being a compelling reason as to why I wanted both, as if there wasn't a good overlap.

It's been a while.

Yes it does use the watch HR. It will also connect to a chest strap.

Braincloud
Sep 28, 2004

I forgot...how BIG...

As a runner/cyclist who also hates carrying his phone or wearing it in a belt, I picked up the LTE version so I could ditch that phone at home. I doubt I'll make a lot of calls/texts, but it is nice to have. I've been lugging my phone around since my Fitbit fell apart last year.

For your "keeping tabs on location" needs, there are actually a couple apps that do this. Glympse has a Watch integration and is a real-time location sharing (your GF would have to share her location with you). Strava also has a track my location feature if you pay for Premium. I haven't played around with it at all since I don't have Premium, but that could be an option as well. Of course, I think you have to have LTE for those to work w/o your phone.

io_burn
Jul 9, 2001

Vrooooooooom!
Are there any Apple Watch games worth playing anymore? I haven't really seen anything pop up in the last couple years aside from that Runeblade game which was really just a clicker that happened to run on the Apple Watch instead of your iPhone.

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

Braincloud posted:

As a runner/cyclist who also hates carrying his phone or wearing it in a belt, I picked up the LTE version so I could ditch that phone at home. I doubt I'll make a lot of calls/texts, but it is nice to have. I've been lugging my phone around since my Fitbit fell apart last year.

For your "keeping tabs on location" needs, there are actually a couple apps that do this. Glympse has a Watch integration and is a real-time location sharing (your GF would have to share her location with you). Strava also has a track my location feature if you pay for Premium. I haven't played around with it at all since I don't have Premium, but that could be an option as well. Of course, I think you have to have LTE for those to work w/o your phone.

Yeah we've used Glimpse before, but it's kind of annoying since she has to set it up every time she runs. I like Find my Friends since I can just pull it open and see where all our devices are on demand.

Sock The Great
Oct 1, 2006

It's Lonely At The Top. But It's Comforting To Look Down Upon Everyone At The Bottom
Grimey Drawer
So I picked up my refurb Apple Watch from the fruit stand today and there was no charger in the box? It's fine because I have an S0, but it seems weird that they wouldn't include a charger in the box, even for a returb.

ddogflex
Sep 19, 2004

blahblahblah

Sock The Great posted:

So I picked up my refurb Apple Watch from the fruit stand today and there was no charger in the box? It's fine because I have an S0, but it seems weird that they wouldn't include a charger in the box, even for a returb.

Like, you bought the refurb, or it was a replacement?

WithoutTheFezOn
Aug 28, 2005
Oh no
You Should have gotten a charging cable but no wall wart. I think they took out the wall wart when the S1 came out.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

S2 always had a wall wart, S1 did not.

Just checked the refurb page and it looks like they do not come with the wall wart anymore. Odd.

• Locked thread