Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

A. Beaverhausen
Nov 11, 2008

by R. Guyovich

Solo Wing Pixy posted:

:wcc: Thanks you two! I really need a sheet to match up in-game names with Discord names with SA names. God knows mine are all completely different.

good dog

edit: nested quotes breaking things when people quote this post-ception

In game I'm Roth Devereaux in TPT

Speaking of those moments, I was dealing out dps and didn't notice a small lag spike. This led to my tank being one attack from death so I swiftcasted benefic 2 and I forget what the instacast cure is but that one. It looked totally clutch but I felt like such a dick for him getting that low

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Reco
Feb 26, 2011

enemy one body to the proximity Zan attack discard the power slap hit.
It's fine to not be amazing at healer dps, it's kind of a thing you work on and get a feel for

just don't be the whm i got in o2n that had 67% overheal and had their highest healing total come from the initial cast of medica 2 (which they used 97 times)

strong bird
May 12, 2009

Capn Jobe posted:

I've been steadily leveling as a scholar for the last couple weeks, currently at level 46, and have a lot more abilities than before. I just want to sure I'm not ignoring a key ability, or just generally doing things wrong.

I usually heal primarily with Adloquium, and complement with Physick (doesn't seem like Adloquium should be used repeatedly on the same target in a short span). I've used Succor a few times, but it's super situational, as people tend to be too spread out to use it most of the time. Assuming I'm not just mashing heals, I'll usually throw miasma/bio on mobs and occasionally complement with Ruin/Ruin II. I hit Energy Drain/Aetherflow periodically to keep MP up.

Anything that I'm missing?

Adlo isn't efficient to use as a primary heal because it costs an extreme amount of mana for just a 300 potency heal. It has a shield but targets die at 0 HP, and the shield doesn't give them more. Everything else looks OK, but there's no reason to use Ruin 2 unless you like (or need) to move around while doing it. It's the same potency for more mana.

Bane is still probably worth using over Energy Drain on packs of enemies. I don't really know how DoT calculations work.

Tenik
Jun 23, 2010

^Bane is absolutely better when you are dealing with a pack of mobs

Capn Jobe posted:

I've been steadily leveling as a scholar for the last couple weeks, currently at level 46, and have a lot more abilities than before. I just want to sure I'm not ignoring a key ability, or just generally doing things wrong.

I usually heal primarily with Adloquium, and complement with Physick (doesn't seem like Adloquium should be used repeatedly on the same target in a short span). I've used Succor a few times, but it's super situational, as people tend to be too spread out to use it most of the time. Assuming I'm not just mashing heals, I'll usually throw miasma/bio on mobs and occasionally complement with Ruin/Ruin II. I hit Energy Drain/Aetherflow periodically to keep MP up.

Anything that I'm missing?

Sounds like you are doing good. Three small notes if you want to be a big old try hard.

1) Use your oGCD skills after an instant cast spell, like Ruin II or that one instant cast dot. Since you have a short waiting period after you use your instant GCD skills, using your oGCD stuff then lets you avoid clipping into your big spells. Using Ruin II > Energy Drain > Ruin II > Energy Drain is a nice burst of damage.

2) Don't heal tanks above 90%. Your fairy is lazy, and will only cast their heal on targets who are around 89% or lower. By keeping tanks with partial HP, you can ensure that your fairy is constantly casting, and your tank is still safe, thanks to the HP buffer your shields provide.

3) You can set your fairies to Obey, and micro manage their skills. This is mostly useful for Eos to apply her heal potency boost before she uses her aoe regen, and for making sure that regen is buffed with spur.

Thundarr
Dec 24, 2002

Hivac posted:

just don't be the whm i got in o2n that had 67% overheal and had their highest healing total come from the initial cast of medica 2 (which they used 97 times)

It sounds like he was trying really hard to tank Catastrophy.

Note to any aspiring healers out there: massive AOE healspam like this actually *hurts* partywide dps because the tank has to spend more time generating enmity and less on doing damage in order to keep the idiot healer from getting murdered.

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

A note about bane: make sure you actually see your second dot go up on the enemy's debuff bar before you cast it. Depending on latency, if you try to cast it immediately after your second dot cast finishes, you might end up only spreading one of the dots, which is always a bad time.

I forget what level you get shadow flare and lustrate at but make sure you're using those, too.

Reiterpallasch
Nov 3, 2010

Fun Shoe
it's totally fine to not bother controlling your fairy outside of endgame raiding, but in that case you should use selene over eos.

TheRagamuffin
Aug 31, 2008

In Paradox Space, when you cross the line, your nuts are mine.

Ainsley McTree posted:

A note about bane: make sure you actually see your second dot go up on the enemy's debuff bar before you cast it. Depending on latency, if you try to cast it immediately after your second dot cast finishes, you might end up only spreading one of the dots, which is always a bad time.

I forget what level you get shadow flare and lustrate at but make sure you're using those, too.

For some reason, if I do Miasma->Bio 2 ->Bane, I have this problem almost every time, but not if I do Bio 2->Miasma->Bane.

Holyshoot
May 6, 2010
https://youtu.be/rKtxbPebvv4

Ryanbomber
Sep 27, 2004

strong bird posted:

Adlo isn't efficient to use as a primary heal because it costs an extreme amount of mana for just a 300 potency heal. It has a shield but targets die at 0 HP, and the shield doesn't give them more.

While it's true that you shouldn't rely on Adlo as a primary spell because it costs a lot more, you can pretty much just treat shields as more health. Enemies have to deplete the entire shield before it actually deals damage to HP, so shields are (more or less) a heal that can go beyond the target's max HP.

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Ryanbomber posted:

While it's true that you shouldn't rely on Adlo as a primary spell because it costs a lot more, you can pretty much just treat shields as more health. Enemies have to deplete the entire shield before it actually deals damage to HP, so shields are (more or less) a heal that can go beyond the target's max HP.

The more important thing is to not cast adlo back to back. Well, unless it's a wall to wall pull and there's legitimately that much damage going out continuously.

Xillah
Nov 29, 2002

I paid $10 to change some guys avatar to an Oblivion Elf with giant tits just to steal this gif
gently caress man, just re-subbed after a year and I am bloody clueless. My old FC is dead too.

All of my hotbars are hosed because the abilities seem to have changed too.

A. Beaverhausen
Nov 11, 2008

by R. Guyovich

Xillah posted:

gently caress man, just re-subbed after a year and I am bloody clueless. My old FC is dead too.

All of my hotbars are hosed because the abilities seem to have changed too.

Perfect time to join a goon guild!

Xillah
Nov 29, 2002

I paid $10 to change some guys avatar to an Oblivion Elf with giant tits just to steal this gif

A. Beaverhausen posted:

Perfect time to join a goon guild!

It would be but I'm on moogle server, last time I played there weren't any on there.

Would be up for paying to switch servers, are there many UK goons playing these days? I'm well past the days were I can stay up until 3am to play with yanks and still function. :D

Going to just plod along with the story for a bit and try to get back into the swing of things for a few days. I only played for 3 months last time around so have poo poo load of content still, not even up to heaven sword.

Was thinking of getting the PS4 compete version, worked out at about the same as storm blood when I shopped about, how are those little PS4 keyboards that attach to the pads? I can just get a wireless keyboard or use my headset for chat if they are shite.

SwissArmyDruid
Feb 14, 2014

by sebmojo
Eurogoons are located on Omega. The FC "Please Calm Down" is who you're looking for.

This may be a better choice for you, given that this year, the NA servers were moved from Montreal.... to Sacramento. (Yes, we don't like that it was moved there either. Even the Californians.)

Xillah
Nov 29, 2002

SwissArmyDruid posted:

Eurogoons are located on Omega. The FC "Please Calm Down" is who you're looking for.

This may be a better choice for you, given that this year, the NA servers were moved from Montreal.... to Sacramento. (Yes, we don't like that it was moved there either. Even the Californians.)

Thanks for the advice, I'll keep an eye on the thread and look into moving once I get back into the swing of things.

Scared shitless of running as a tank in any dungeons at the minute, can't remember what the hell I'm doing.

Scaly Haylie
Dec 25, 2004

Are you a paladin? Just hit flash, dummy.

Xillah
Nov 29, 2002

Lizard Wizard posted:

Are you a paladin? Just hit flash, dummy.

I'm doing it right then. :D

Edit: If I could remember who Thancred was the latest reveal might have meant something.

Asimo
Sep 23, 2007

Yeah aggro in leveling dungeons is... really not an issue these days. Hit your AOE threat thing 2-3 times and you're basically good to go. :v:

A. Beaverhausen
Nov 11, 2008

by R. Guyovich

Xillah posted:

I'm doing it right then. :D

Edit: If I could remember who Thancred was the latest reveal might have meant something.

I take it you didn't start in the best city way back when

Xillah
Nov 29, 2002

Asimo posted:

Yeah aggro in leveling dungeons is... really not an issue these days. Hit your AOE threat thing 2-3 times and you're basically good to go. :v:

poo poo man, I remember getting pelters for doing it wrong last time around so was worried about loving a run up.

gently caress waiting for dungeons as a DPS.

Xillah
Nov 29, 2002

A. Beaverhausen posted:

I take it you didn't start in the best city way back when

I started as a Gladiator in that desert one (Ul Dah?). I vaguely remember him now, it's been a year man.

Edit: These twats are waaaay too happy about going to war.

A. Beaverhausen
Nov 11, 2008

by R. Guyovich

Xillah posted:

I started as a Gladiator in that desert one (Up Day?). I vaguely remember him now, it's been a year man.

Oh, you're good then.

Ok look, short version he's an attractive rogue, who may act very nonchalant but is capable. Good dude.

KoB
May 1, 2009
hes some sort of Handsome Stranger.

Xillah
Nov 29, 2002

KoB posted:

hes some sort of Handsome Stranger.

I just saw him go darkside , it would have meant more if I remembered who he was.

I just got a good 20 minutes of cut scenes that helped me remember what was going on and have the hang of the controls again.

I guess tomorrow I'll try to figure out what is lucrative to sell again. By the looks of things I was selling Alumen and aldgoat leather. Is that still worth the hassle of should I check out some guides?

Bell_
Sep 3, 2006

Tiny Baltimore
A billion light years away
A goon's posting the same thing
But he's already turned to dust
And the shitpost we read
Is a billion light-years old
A ghost just like the rest of us

Fister Roboto posted:

Generally speaking, especially in low level dungeons, healers in this game are more like hybrid dps with some healing spells.
I remember I have healing spells more often on my RDM than my WHM.

SwissArmyDruid
Feb 14, 2014

by sebmojo

Xillah posted:

I just saw him go darkside , it would have meant more if I remembered who he was.

I just got a good 20 minutes of cut scenes that helped me remember what was going on and have the hang of the controls again.

I guess tomorrow I'll try to figure out what is lucrative to sell again. By the looks of things I was selling Alumen and aldgoat leather. Is that still worth the hassle of should I check out some guides?

You can sell toad leather and silver ore forever. May not be much of a margin, but the demand will never die, because those are used to make GSM and LTW glamour crystals.

Xillah
Nov 29, 2002

SwissArmyDruid posted:

You can sell toad leather and silver ore forever. May not be much of a margin, but the demand will never die, because those are used to make GSM and LTW glamour crystals.

That rings a bell, I think I switched back to aldgoat when I began levelling ninja, the toads were a bit much at the time.

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

Here's something I've never bothered to test; if someone casts a Rez on a character, does the game prevent other party members from casting a Rez on the same person? Or can conceivably all the healers and rdms/smns cast their rez spells and blow their MP at the same time?

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Ainsley McTree posted:

Here's something I've never bothered to test; if someone casts a Rez on a character, does the game prevent other party members from casting a Rez on the same person? Or can conceivably all the healers and rdms/smns cast their rez spells and blow their MP at the same time?

Yes they can all waste their casts - that's why people use raise macros.

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

Ainsley McTree posted:

No, yes. That's why some people use rez macros

Solo Wing Pixy
Aug 5, 2008

It's an amanojaku!
And it hates you so much!

hobbesmaster posted:

Yes they can all waste their casts - that's why people use raise macros.

You actually use res macros to annoy your party members and optionally mock the person who died.

Even if it's your fault they died.

ESPECIALLY if it's your fault.

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

God damn it, you've got to be kind.
I'm going to cry when I have to replace these glasses with some dumb hat.

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

Dick Trauma posted:

I have some good news for you about a feature that unlocks at level 50

apostateCourier
Oct 9, 2012

Dick Trauma posted:

That's why the glamour system exists. Once you hit 50 you can unlock that and then Fashion Fantasy begins.

A. Beaverhausen
Nov 11, 2008

by R. Guyovich
Until then you must hobo

Jimbot
Jul 22, 2008

When's the next big update supposed to go live?

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice

Jimbot posted:

When's the next big update supposed to go live?

probably mid October

a kitten
Aug 5, 2006

discuss

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
I'm a dragoon and am a nerd