Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Barudak
May 7, 2007

Batmans super power is networking

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Goffer
Apr 4, 2007
"..."

Lobok posted:

Clark Kent isn't a cover story for Superman.

Snowglobe of Doom posted:

There was a great scene in a recent comic about the first time that Superman, Wonder Woman and Batman met. Wonder Woman got them all to hold her golden lasso and reveal their true names:

:v:

MoS Superman ain't your comic book Superman.

For one, he's smiling.

Two, MoS Clark is obviously reborn as Kal-el and the last vestiges of his human life are stripped away when he finds his real father, and real purpose. The Clark persona is his prison of repression that was forced on him by his foster father, he sheds that part when he runs away from home. In MoS Clark is the mask he picks up at the end of the movie as cover for a shoehorned bit of comic fan service which isn't aligned with the character established in the movie at all.

got any sevens
Feb 9, 2013

by Cyrano4747

Barudak posted:

Something to pass on to Oracle

Gatts
Jan 2, 2001

Goodnight Moon

Nap Ghost

Barudak posted:

And money.

ungulateman
Apr 18, 2012

pretentious fuckwit who isn't half as literate or insightful or clever as he thinks he is

Goffer posted:

MoS Superman ain't your comic book Superman.

For one, he's smiling.

Two, MoS Clark is obviously reborn as Kal-el and the last vestiges of his human life are stripped away when he finds his real father, and real purpose. The Clark persona is his prison of repression that was forced on him by his foster father, he sheds that part when he runs away from home. In MoS Clark is the mask he picks up at the end of the movie as cover for a shoehorned bit of comic fan service which isn't aligned with the character established in the movie at all.

i'm afraid you're too late on the 'pretend to be lex luthor' gimmick, lejackal did that for months when the movie came out

Barudak
May 7, 2007

How do you think he stays so rich? He doesnt even run the day to day business of his company and instead he has a personally handpicked and vetted friend do it, does none of his own r&d and instead contracts that out a bottom rate prices due to connections, has the most proteges of any super hero, has an international group of associates on his beck and call, never forgets a name or face, his only use of his Bruce Wayne persona is to go to fancy charity dinners,and his primary method of resolving long term social ills is through the creation of foundations staffed by people he has personally schmoozed with.

The Cameo
Jan 20, 2005

I think you guys might be overthinking “I thought she was with you” thing a little bit. Batman sees this woman drop out of the sky and save his bacon, immediately followed up by Superman showing up out of the sky and pushing Doomsday into a bunch of gas tanks. Because Superman wasn’t there when Wonder Woman showed up and she just told him “I’ve killed things from other worlds before” (which think about how either dude could read that statement), Superman asks Batman “is she with you?”, since she’s standing right in front of Bruce and has been since Supes came back down from space. Batman, who just saw the both of them come out of the sky, turns to Superman and is like “I thought she was with you”.

It’s pretty straightforward.

edit: and yet it still fits the textual idea of what DC’s Trinity is - she’s not with either of them, of course, she occupies the space between Batman and Superman philosophically, and in the case of the frame in the hero shot, quite literally.

The Cameo fucked around with this message at 23:31 on Sep 18, 2017

Dark_Tzitzimine
Oct 9, 2012

by R. Guyovich
Matthew Vaughn also told to Collider what he would do for Superman

quote:

“Weirdly if I did do Superman—and I made the mistake of telling someone yesterday I have spoken about it and then wallop (laughs)—I think my main take would be, it’s really boring but make a Superman film. I just don’t feel a proper Superman—I think Donner did it to perfection for that time. Just doing the modern—I wanna do a modern version of the Donner [version]. Go back to the source material… For me Superman is color, feel-good, heroic. He’s a beacon of light in darkness. And that’s what I think Superman should be.”

The MSJ
May 17, 2010

quote:

He’s a beacon of light in darkness.

I'm glad he wants to continue this theme from MoS and BvS.

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

gently caress Donner. He died ten years ago let him rest

Snowman_McK
Jan 31, 2010
It's depressing that even someone as creative and interesting as Vaughn has such a loving boring vision for Superman.

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

What a horrible thread to have a post.
I doubt he knows much about the character's history. Pretty much any Superman fan can tell you that Mr. Perfect Daddy Superman is death for audience interest. It's the kind of thing that a "fan" who knows the character through a t-shirt and Donner's films says that they love, without realizing the consequences.

Anyway, the good news is that, in our current comic book landscape, Power Fantasy Smiling Superman would be rebooted faster than Spider-Man was.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Vaughn is speaking my language. I hope he makes it.

Snowman_McK
Jan 31, 2010
I think every story seems really simple as an outline, until you actually try to execute. I realised this when I had a go at writing a revenge story, a pretty straightforward sub-genre. Until you have to fill in the specifics. Superman is the same deal.

So, he's perfect, morally. What story do you tell with that character?

CelticPredator posted:

Vaughn is speaking my language. I hope he makes it.

This is going to sound meaner than I intend it, but I'm really glad you're not the decision maker here.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

I'm also really glad none of you are the decision makers.

josh04
Oct 19, 2008

"THE FLASH IS THE REASON
TO RACE TO THE THEATRES"

This title contains sponsored content.

I mean, that film exists, and it's called Superman Returns, and it was made by a guy Matthew Vaughn has worked very closely with.

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

josh04 posted:

I mean, that film exists, and it's called Superman Returns, and it was made by a guy Matthew Vaughn has worked very closely with.

Actual Donner Superman worshippers would tell you that Singer's version fails because Superman is a "creepy stalker" in it.

That's right! Literally the only interesting thing he does in that movie is bad, because it shows him being less than perfect and doing something morally ambiguous and uncomfortable. So let's erase that and have 30 more minutes off bullets bouncing off eyeballs to remind you that, yes, Superman cannot be harmed.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

We've already had two Man of Steel toned movies. So let's go for another style.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours
Snyder's experience directing car commercials and music videos makes him exceptional at realizing cliches. For example, his pitch for Superman is exactly the same, but he's skipped the first principles and just made the video for Joan Osborne's "What If God Was One Of Us?"

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

CelticPredator posted:

We've already had three Donner-toned movies. So let's go for another style.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

I agree. Lets go for Vaughn's uplifting style.

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

CelticPredator posted:

I agree. Lets go for Vaughn's uplifting style.

He literally says he's going to do a Donner pastiche in the interview.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

He can do Tommy Wiseau pastiche and it would still be great. Vaughn hasn't let me down yet.

Gorn Myson
Aug 8, 2007

Yeah, lets go for something different by replicating a movie that came out in the 70s.

I'm also hoping they do something interesting with the Batman movies, by copying the cartoon from the 90s.

got any sevens
Feb 9, 2013

by Cyrano4747

Snowman_McK posted:

I think every story seems really simple as an outline, until you actually try to execute. I realised this when I had a go at writing a revenge story, a pretty straightforward sub-genre. Until you have to fill in the specifics. Superman is the same deal.

So, he's perfect, morally. What story do you tell with that character?

He's uncompromising and destroys all tools of oppression and inequality and brings humans back to the stone age. Then reeducates everyone to be pacifist.

The MSJ
May 17, 2010

Based on his previous superhero and comic book movie work, I'm interested in how sexual and maybe even homoerotic Vaughn can make his Superman movie.

Snowman_McK
Jan 31, 2010

got any sevens posted:

He's uncompromising and destroys all tools of oppression and inequality and brings humans back to the stone age. Then reeducates everyone to be pacifist.

This movie would in fact be fantastic. Like that episode of Futurama where Bender becomes wood, but longer. And probably more expensive.

Equeen
Oct 29, 2011

Pole dance~

CelticPredator posted:

A style that's been dominant for 40 years? Listen, I like the Donner movies, but holy poo poo do we need new voices for Superman. I would absolutely love it if a woman or a person of color directed a Superman movie, but at this point I'll take Edgar Wright or George Miller.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

What if the woman made it optimistic instead of dark. What then CD!

LesterGroans
Jun 9, 2009

It's funny...

You were so scary at night.

CelticPredator posted:

I wouldn't say those two are mutually exclusive.

Gorn Myson
Aug 8, 2007

The Snyder movies are optimistic.

Brother Entropy
Dec 27, 2009

the 'snyder's superman films aren't optimistic' meme

Snowman_McK
Jan 31, 2010

CelticPredator posted:

Well, we've already had two really optimistic movies, Man of Steel and Batman Vs Superman that were also dark, which sort of suggests you're proposing a false dichotomy.

LesterGroans
Jun 9, 2009

It's funny...

Gorn Myson posted:

The Snyder movies are optimistic.

Yeah, I'd definitely call Man of Steel optimistic at the very least. I wouldn't call it dark either.

LesterGroans
Jun 9, 2009

It's funny...

I love Superman: The Movie and really like Superman Returns, so I'm not against something in that style. Vaughan specifically mentioning Donner does make it feel tired though.

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
Also Superman the movie had some heavy sexual themes running through the whole thing.

Just, the entire Lois/Superman interview. All of it.

UmOk
Aug 3, 2003
The real problem with Mans of Steel is the stupid way he dealt with Zod. Why didn't he just pull the shrink wrap S-logo off his chest and throw it at Zod to capture him?

LesterGroans
Jun 9, 2009

It's funny...

He should have gently kissed his head and wiped his memory. Amateur hour, Kal El.

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

Jor El:  You will give the people of Earth an ideal to strive towards. They will race behind you, they will stumble, they will fall. But in time, they will join you in the sun, Kal. In time, you will help them accomplish wonders. 

Nerds: What is this dour grimdark bullshit!?!?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

UmOk posted:

The real problem with Mans of Steel is the stupid way he dealt with Zod. Why didn't he just pull the shrink wrap S-logo off his chest and throw it at Zod to capture him?

Because Zod specifically and correctly points out at the beginning of the film that the Phantom Zone is bullshit.

• Locked thread