Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

TheReverend
Jun 21, 2005

Don't move to Pudong! It sucks!!!
I live there it's very sucky!

For the amount of money they are spending on me in Lujiazui I could have lived in much better Jingan.

And I spend 70 percent of my time in Puxi anyways!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ceciltron
Jan 11, 2007

Text BEEP to 43527 for the dancing robot!
Pillbug

Grand Fromage posted:

That must have gotten annoying, wearing a mask 90% of the time.
Long-term considerations outweigh temporary comfort.

The Great Autismo!
Mar 3, 2007

by Fluffdaddy
AQI 28 today

Ceciltron
Jan 11, 2007

Pillbug

Welcome to a bad day where I live, friend.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

It's been known to sometimes get as high as 50 in the fairly large city I'm from. :eyepop:

The Great Autismo!
Mar 3, 2007

by Fluffdaddy
it actually hasn't been over 100 since I've been back

But as we all know, winter is coming

Ceciltron
Jan 11, 2007

Pillbug
I am dangerously off topic but moving back to my hometown I somehow managed to find a job (service industry, skilled but uneducated requirement level) that pays about as much as I made in China, but without the Mordor and insanity. It is never too late to reconsider Home rather than the People's Republic of Cancers.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

Believe me I'm looking. I cannot wait to be anywhere that isn't this pile of poo poo country.

Ceciltron
Jan 11, 2007

Pillbug

Grand Fromage posted:

Believe me I'm looking. I cannot wait to be anywhere that isn't this pile of poo poo country.

grand fromage if you can learn French quickly I will gladly hire you to work in my hardware store for about 15$ an hour, 40 hours a week. Your beard ( last I saw you) will endear you to our older clientele.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

Je suis pantaloons.

This is my current issue, there are jobs but they all pay less than what I'm getting now and I'm already just barely scraping by. My solution for this year was staying in China but interacting with it as little as I possibly can, I don't think I can handle it much longer though.

LentThem
Aug 31, 2004

90% Retractible
the big problem with going back to your own country from china is you'll have an adjustment period much like astronauts who come back to earth after a long time

90% of the people you pass on the street will be faster, sharper, and more energetic than you

kenner116
May 15, 2009

Grand Fromage posted:

This is my current issue, there are jobs but they all pay less than what I'm getting now and I'm already just barely scraping by. My solution for this year was staying in China but interacting with it as little as I possibly can, I don't think I can handle it much longer though.

Come to Taiwan. It's surprisingly easy to get a work visa here after arriving visa-free. Salaries aren't great but living expenses are probably similar to Chengdu and you get to live in a decent and open society.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

kenner116 posted:

Come to Taiwan. It's surprisingly easy to get a work visa here after arriving visa-free. Salaries aren't great but living expenses are probably similar to Chengdu and you get to live in a decent and open society.

Pay in Taiwan is a lot worse and it's all English teaching, which I refuse to do until I have literally no other alternative. I also have to have a job lined up in advance, I don't make enough money to save any so I cannot go any period of time without pay.

Save yourself from a lifetime of ruin and don't go to college, kids.

Ceciltron
Jan 11, 2007

Pillbug
this is not a terribly attractive offer, I understand.

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA
:xickos:

Grand Fromage posted:

Pay in Taiwan is a lot worse and it's all English teaching, which I refuse to do until I have literally no other alternative. I also have to have a job lined up in advance, I don't make enough money to save any so I cannot go any period of time without pay.

powerful self own

ladron
Sep 15, 2007

eso es lo que es

Grand Fromage posted:

I don't make enough money to save any so I cannot go any period of time without pay.

living the dream. why don't you just move back and go work at applebees or something?

GoutPatrol
Oct 17, 2009

*Stupid Babby*

Grand Fromage posted:

There are other jobs. Really, I know because I do. If you really are looking for things next school year I can give you some leads in Taiwan. They can't be as bad as whatever you hate on the mainland (although some may be close.) If you have any certification from the US or grad degree, you can go somewhere.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

GoutPatrol posted:

If you have any certification from the US or grad degree, you can go somewhere.

This is the issue. I can get teaching certification online and that opens up a lot of possibilities, but I can't afford to do it. I've yet to find anywhere that is willing to overlook that given how much experience I have. MUST HAVE PAPER.

I really don't want to live in Taiwan but I'd take the leads to at least give it a look.

peanut
Sep 9, 2007

how much are your student loans each month geez

peanut
Sep 9, 2007

the real answer is of course to *Marry Rich

*I didn't do this but let us know how it goes

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

They are $texas. Anyway goons have been good for job connections, it's how I got this one and it was fine until I lived in China long enough to develop a true, deep hatred of the place. The job itself isn't so bad, it's a waste of time but teaching.txt there. The problem is it's in China and all the Chinese people trying desperately to flee the country have the right idea.

LimburgLimbo
Feb 10, 2008
Have you tried Singapore because I am here now and it's p.cool

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

Noooope. I am not moving anywhere closer to the equator, it's already unbearable the majority of the year in Sichuan.

Warbird
May 23, 2012

America's Favorite Dumbass

What are all of you doing for work over there anyway? The Mrs. has mentioned wanting us to live in China for a bit, but I strongly suspect it would involve a pay cut on my part.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

High school history/science. Don't move to China it's a terrible place full of terrible people (myself and all other Chinagoons included). Visiting is fine, you get to eat some good food and then leave.

Amergin
Jan 29, 2013

THE SOUND A WET FART MAKES

Warbird posted:

What are all of you doing for work over there anyway? The Mrs. has mentioned wanting us to live in China for a bit, but I strongly suspect it would involve a pay cut on my part.

Currently helping one of the wife's aunts overhaul their data warehousing (aka letting them know that no, keeping every bit of data on one Excel sheet is not a good idea) and making 1/4 of what I was making in Denver.

If you have other options, they are almost certainly better than working in China.

ladron
Sep 15, 2007

eso es lo que es

Grand Fromage posted:

They are $texas.

did you get a law degree from a private university?
if your loans are govt, you don't technically have to pay them bc you have no taxable income. if you can do that one neat trick for 25 years, they'll dismiss them and you'll only be on the hook for interest. what a deal!

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

I've been dealing with it for years, there is nowhere interesting or new for this conversation to go. But if anyone wants to drop lines about jobs in the future I'm listening.

ladron
Sep 15, 2007

eso es lo que es

Grand Fromage posted:

But if anyone wants to drop lines about jobs in the future I'm listening.

what's your education level, what do you want to do, and what are you absolutely unwilling to do?

peanut
Sep 9, 2007

my buddy said his manager at Publix was making around $90k a year in suburban Gainesville, hth

GoutPatrol
Oct 17, 2009

*Stupid Babby*

Grand Fromage posted:

This is the issue. I can get teaching certification online and that opens up a lot of possibilities, but I can't afford to do it. I've yet to find anywhere that is willing to overlook that given how much experience I have. MUST HAVE PAPER.

I really don't want to live in Taiwan but I'd take the leads to at least give it a look.

My job now, when I first got there only 20 percent of the staff had them, including me. Because they're now an IB candidate they won't accept people who don't have something now or don't have experience in the country already. There are places that will still accept no papers, especially if you can do science.

The Great Autismo!
Mar 3, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

Warbird posted:

i am like 99% sure my job will be open this time next year, i live in rural shenyang and work with an american university that has set up a experimental cohort where the students do their own projects and choose their own materials and i just oversee everything (includes three cohorts now and three foreigners)

anyway its in the middle of nowhere and there's no one around and i have a p big apartment and the pay is good and it's not too high stress, if anyone wants this job hit me up

coolusername
Aug 23, 2011

cooltitletext
I've scored a job in Suzhou (assuming my Z-visa paperwork will ever be completed), I've been voraciously reading all the China-wide tips but does anyone have any Suzhou-specific thoughts on the place?

Mongmonghi
Mar 1, 2006

LMBO LOOK AT DAT FUKKEN METEOR

Magna Kaser posted:

Pollution is usually much worse in the winter.

If it’s over like 200aqi it’s real bad and you should be wearing a mask. You should probably be wearing one before that but that’s my personal metric.

Don’t worry about how high up your apt is and just buy or make a purifier. They are cheap and very effective.

Maybe buy some N95 masks before coming over if they’re cheap where you are now.

I haven’t lived in Shanghai for a while but Jing’an is relatively pricy as Shanghai goes. Other goons who live there now can give better advice on that.

I’m always for learning Chinese, how long are you gonna be in China for?

Well I am going to work as an architect for a firm there and my contract is for 2 years on a Z visa, salarywise it is mid tier but I am going for the experience and the projects I can make there that are quite interesting compared to Europe.

Well if anyone could suggest a neighborhood apart Jing'an nearby Fudan university I would be grateful, my budget is max 3500 Yuan for a room.

Also for air purifiers, how long their filters last? And can anyone suggest a reliable brand?

Warbird
May 23, 2012

America's Favorite Dumbass

Amergin posted:

Currently helping one of the wife's aunts overhaul their data warehousing (aka letting them know that no, keeping every bit of data on one Excel sheet is not a good idea) and making 1/4 of what I was making in Denver.

If you have other options, they are almost certainly better than working in China.

So I assume that tech jobs are somewhat uncommon for expats to come into over there? I have enough trouble trying to explain why people need to refine/automate their continuous integration setups in my own language; I don't want to think of having to try and do it somewhere with a language barrier and far FAR less federal regulations poking the powers that be to get their asses in gear.

The Great Autismo!
Mar 3, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

Mongmonghi posted:

Well if anyone could suggest a neighborhood apart Jing'an nearby Fudan university I would be grateful, my budget is max 3500 Yuan for a room.

is 3,500 for a room in shanghai even remotely possible these days? my buddy has a studio in a decent part of town and he pays almost 8,000 i thought

The Great Autismo!
Mar 3, 2007

by Fluffdaddy
dude i have no idea if this is reliable or not but check out this website

https://www.numbeo.com/cost-of-livi...layCurrency=CNY

haha, my assistant gets 12,500 a month and he would have to make 27,000 in shanghai to have the same standard of life that he has in shenyang. this is actually even off because we are not in shenyang we are in fushun, which is even cheaper than shenyang

shanghai is really expensive, lol

The Great Autismo!
Mar 3, 2007

by Fluffdaddy
holy poo poo i'd have to make into the 100,000s+ a month if i wanted to keep the same lifestyle i have in shenyang if i moved to HK.

this website is interesting and cool

Tom Smykowski
Jan 27, 2005

What the hell is wrong with you people?
Working in ceciltrons shop sounds awesome, tbh

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ailumao
Nov 4, 2004

Warbird posted:

So I assume that tech jobs are somewhat uncommon for expats to come into over there? I have enough trouble trying to explain why people need to refine/automate their continuous integration setups in my own language; I don't want to think of having to try and do it somewhere with a language barrier and far FAR less federal regulations poking the powers that be to get their asses in gear.

Tech jobs are pretty common if you’re more senior. Developers, project managers, analysts, etc.... lots of international companies or even bigger Chinese ones like Tencent and Alibaba hire foreign talent as they can.

They’re hard to gall into tho, generally these guys have recruiters looking for peeps.