Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Diqnol
May 10, 2010

indigi posted:

Wentz isn't very good. I think Bortles 2015 may be his ceiling.

Quoted for posterity

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

how can we not talk about family
when family's all that we got?
granted we're only two games in but I haven't seen any real development at all yet. Still has garbage mechanics, still sails way too many short/intermediate passes, fumbles, makes bad decisions, etc. his ability to shrug off tacklers, extend plays, improvise, an ok-ish deep ball if his WRs have the space to adjust, and pick up yardage with his feet is good, but he showed us all of that last year. I'm just not seeing any actual progression of his skills yet, and idk if Pederson knows how to develop a QB.

Feb 24, 2006

#worldchamps
Went to the game. Had a poo poo ton of fun even with it being an away game at Arrowhead. First NFL game ever. Sucked making the 2 mile walk of shame back to the Airbnb with droves of poo poo talking and cat calling. Almost got us into a fight when this exchange basically happened.

Dude Driving By: "BRIAN DAWKINS IS A POOR MAN'S ERIC BERRY"
Me: "WHO'S PLAYING MORE SNAPS THIS SEASON NOW!!?"
Me: *goes off on talking more poo poo about Eric Berry*
*Other Chiefs fans hear my tirade, gets uncomfortable, we keep walking*

Was a great time. Was deflated from the loss, but lots of good is to be bad from the game. I'm not used to being around more than 2-3 Eagles fans so it was crazy bad rear end to see THOUSANDS everywhere. Eagles fans were freaking every where in Kansas City. Tailgating was fun with all the Chiefs & Eagles fans trolling each other. The KC mascot ran by and hosed my hair up.

Go to a NFL game. It's awesome.

Night was later made at a bar that was dead as gently caress, maybe 10 people in it when a group of drunk Eagles fans ran into a lone Cowboys fan at the bar and immediately smelled first blood and started giving him poo poo asking about the Denver game. 😂

Yodzilla
Apr 29, 2005

Now who looks even dumber?

Beef Witch
Who the gently caress talks any kind of yang about Brian Dawkins.

NotWearingPants
Jan 3, 2006

by Nyc_Tattoo
Nap Ghost

indigi posted:

Wentz isn't very good. I think Bortles 2015 may be his ceiling.

lol

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

:lol: giants

Feb 24, 2006

#worldchamps
Next Week.

Eagles D-Line vs. Giants O-Line

:allears:

shyduck
Oct 3, 2003

https://twitter.com/BackAftaThis/status/909986814047522817

:thunk:

axeil
Feb 14, 2006
So the entire NFC East is 1-1 except the Giants.

Just shameful.

18-1 is real

El Patron
Jul 9, 2011

Philly Philly
The Bortles comparison is mental, Wentz has looked good to me.

Amy Pole Her
Jun 17, 2002

El Patron posted:

The Bortles comparison is mental, Wentz has looked good to me.

He's up and down. Still young, tons of potential but he's not *good* yet. Dude struggles throwing a screen

NotWearingPants
Jan 3, 2006

by Nyc_Tattoo
Nap Ghost
brutal review of Seumalo's performance: http://www.phillyvoice.com/eagles-need-strongly-consider-replacing-isaac-seumalo-gifs-and-stuff

Cash Monet
Apr 5, 2009

Carson Wentz looks like a flashier Joe Flacco. In a good way.

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon
Man, it's really hard for me to even remotely give a poo poo about Washington anymore. I barely watched them play against Los Angeles. It was nice to see them win, but even if the rest of the NFC East is a dumpster fire I don't see this team doing well.

Gumbel2Gumbel
Apr 28, 2010

Beer4TheBeerGod posted:

Man, it's really hard for me to even remotely give a poo poo about Washington anymore. I barely watched them play against Los Angeles. It was nice to see them win, but even if the rest of the NFC East is a dumpster fire I don't see this team doing well.

I think it would be hard to give a poo poo because you're a good guy and they're terribly run franchise with a racist name

Diqnol
May 10, 2010

Welcome to the light, my child.

TheChirurgeon
Aug 7, 2002

Remember how good you are
Taco Defender

Cash Monet posted:

This is p much how I see him, too

Jota
May 6, 2003

uga-booga uga-booga
On one hand I am super excited to see the Eagles D-line go against the Giants and shithouse Eli. Giants have looked like poo poo so far. On the other, those games have a strong ability to become close, ugly poo poo shows no matter how good or bad either team is and the Giants line is going to kill Seumalo if he plays. Also Kelce stinks too.

Our line is gonna eat though.

TheChirurgeon
Aug 7, 2002

Taco Defender
The Giants' offensive line is terrible, but it also seems like age is finally catching up to Eli. I hope that is the case.

Diqnol
May 10, 2010

So why can't the Eagles rotate OL starters? Why is it with our level of depth that we cannot, say, have Kelce in there for the first half and put Wisnewski in there the second or Warmack in there for runs, that kind of thing? I get the lack of reps aspect but surely this is feasible?

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

TheChirurgeon posted:

The Giants' offensive line is terrible, but it also seems like age is finally catching up to Eli. I hope that is the case.

There were plenty of 4th quarter Eli bullshit plays last night, though. He still has it, but his receivers cannot catch and his line cannot block.

TheChirurgeon
Aug 7, 2002

Taco Defender

Diqnol posted:

So why can't the Eagles rotate OL starters? Why is it with our level of depth that we cannot, say, have Kelce in there for the first half and put Wisnewski in there the second or Warmack in there for runs, that kind of thing? I get the lack of reps aspect but surely this is feasible?

It's generally not a good idea for a couple of reasons.

The first is that offensive lines need continuity--the players benefit more from playing together than any other unit. Offensive linemen have to communicate with each other and work together to combat the defense, and it's helpful for a player to know how the man next to him will react to a situation, and what his strengths and weaknesses are. Typically, offensive lines improve as a unit as they get more reps together, and it's common for offensive lines to take a season to gel. Swapping offensive linemen in and out can have a negative impact on line chemistry.*

The second is that swapping out an offensive lineman is a huge giveaway for the type of play you'll be running. If the defense sees you subbing in Warmack on run plays, they'll expect a run. Ideally your linemen are skilled in both types of plays, and already know how to work together in those situations. Teams that can operate a larger number of plays out of the same personnel groups and formations have a huge advantage.

*e: Football Outsiders has done some good work on this, and they track offensive line continuity year-to-year now. Link: http://www.footballoutsiders.com/stat-analysis/2017/offensive-line-continuity-scores-2016

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

Also you ideally keep pressure off your OL by establishing the run or some other type of short game. People like to bitch about screens and misdirection as being useless sometimes, but in the absence of an actual run game they can serve the same purpose of keeping the the defense honest. The giants were playing from behind all night and were one dimensional as gently caress so it's even easier to just dominate them. Part of the reason Dallas got so shellacked by Denver was the complete inability to establish a running game on offense (and no secondary on defense).

NotWearingPants
Jan 3, 2006

by Nyc_Tattoo
Nap Ghost
The Eagles defensive line should destroy the Giant's offensive line, but Eli has always been pretty good about getting rid of the ball quickly, at least against the Eagles. And for some reason he often seems to get the benefit of the doubt on intentional grounding calls.

aBagorn
Aug 26, 2004

NotWearingPants posted:

The Eagles defensive line should destroy the Giant's offensive line, but Eli has always been pretty good about getting rid of the ball quickly, at least against the Eagles. And for some reason he often seems to get the benefit of the doubt on intentional grounding calls.

The Eagles have been destroying Eli since his first game, though.

troofs
Feb 28, 2011

The better Manning.
Eli still had the fastest time to release of any QB in football last year, so he can still do that. I think that might be all he can do.

The Giants will probably lose every game they play without Beckham.

Phobeste
Apr 9, 2006

never, like, count out Touchdown Tom, man
Hmm how about the ones Beckham plays in such as last night and the rest of the season

Quiet Feet
Dec 14, 2009

THE HELL IS WITH THIS ASS!?

Cash Monet posted:

If this means the Eagles end up with 10 years of an average-y qb who flips the gently caress out for one SB-winning playoff run I'm fine with that.

axeil
Feb 14, 2006

Quiet Feet posted:

If this means the Eagles end up with 10 years of an average-y qb who flips the gently caress out for one SB-winning playoff run I'm fine with that.

Same. Hell I'm even fine with ending up in the Andey Zone. I think the front office is smart enough to build a team that can win even if Wentz isn't the next Brady (he is)

Nissin Cup Nudist
Sep 3, 2011

Sleep with one eye open

We're off to Gritty Gritty land

Cash Monet posted:

Joe Flacco is elite, so this checks out

troofs
Feb 28, 2011

The better Manning.

Phobeste posted:

Hmm how about the ones Beckham plays in such as last night and the rest of the season

On the field for about 10 snaps. Dude is still hurt, but you're right, I should have said ones where he's actually healthy.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

ODB being healthy didn't matter for the giants. They had zero OL protection the entire game, had zero rushing game, and brandon marshall dropped everything that came his way.

TheChirurgeon
Aug 7, 2002

Taco Defender

Mr. Nice! posted:

ODB being healthy didn't matter for the giants. They had zero OL protection the entire game, had zero rushing game, and brandon marshall dropped everything that came his way.

The bigger problem is that it doesn't matter overall--a healthy ODB is worth 14 points per game. That's pretty drat good! When healthy, he's a top-3 receiver. The flip side is that the Giants haven't scored 20+ points in a game since Thanksgiving last year. That's pretty drat bad. A Giants' team with a healthy ODB is probably going to average 17-21 points per game, which probably isn't enough to get a winning record--last year's teams scored 22.7ppg. The Giants have to find ways to score points beyond just ODB's production, and unless they can do that, they're going to struggle against teams that have multiple weapons.

axeil
Feb 14, 2006

TheChirurgeon posted:

The bigger problem is that it doesn't matter overall--a healthy ODB is worth 14 points per game. That's pretty drat good! When healthy, he's a top-3 receiver. The flip side is that the Giants haven't scored 20+ points in a game since Thanksgiving last year. That's pretty drat bad. A Giants' team with a healthy ODB is probably going to average 17-21 points per game, which probably isn't enough to get a winning record--last year's teams scored 22.7ppg. The Giants have to find ways to score points beyond just ODB's production, and unless they can do that, they're going to struggle against teams that have multiple weapons.

Even if he's healthy will it matter? ODB's primary skill is his ability to get downfield. How much help is that if Eli is getting sacked 2 seconds after the snap?

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

TheChirurgeon posted:

That's why the announcers kept crooning over Brandon Marshall saying he was brought in to score. Then he proceeded to drop almost every pass thrown his way.

axeil posted:

Even if he's healthy will it matter? ODB's primary skill is his ability to get downfield. How much help is that if Eli is getting sacked 2 seconds after the snap?

Eli bullshit is good enough to hit ODB on 2-3 deep passes that will turn into scores a game as chir mentioned. The only thing that's gonna save macadoo right now is some sort of short game.

Gumbel2Gumbel
Apr 28, 2010

I think ODBs injuries are caught up to him and he's gonna start regressing hard

shyduck
Oct 3, 2003

I propose a deathmatch between Isaac Seumalo and Ereck Flowers on Sunday at halftime

Impossibly Perfect Sphere
Nov 6, 2002

They wasted Luanne on Lucky!

She could of have been so much more but the writers just didn't care!
OBJ can take a 10 yard slant and turn it into a 60 yard TD. He's not just some deep ball savant.

Gumbel2Gumbel posted:

I think ODBs injuries are caught up to him and he's gonna start regressing hard

He's 24.

NotWearingPants
Jan 3, 2006

by Nyc_Tattoo
Nap Ghost
https://twitter.com/PhilaBCoulter/status/909733530321768448

https://twitter.com/PhilaBCoulter/status/910140316107276288

for reference:
Prescott 30/50, 238, 2Tds 2Ints, 35.1 QBR, 68.6 RTG
Wentz 25/46 333, 2Tds 1Int, 47.7 QBR, 83.0 RTG
Manning 22/32 239, 1Td 1Int, 25.6 QBR, 87.9 RTG.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

shyduck
Oct 3, 2003

If you want to be extra mad, go take a peek at the ESPN power rankings today.

• Locked thread