Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

rocketrobot
Jul 11, 2003

Phrosphor posted:

Wow really? I haven't seen a single headshot since the new update, you must be fantastically unlucky!

This is not the first context in which I've been told that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Psion
Dec 13, 2002

eVeN I KnOw wHaT CoRnEr gAs iS
Ammo explosions are real, and they're real mean.

A DFA headshotting a pristine Trebuchet is also real, and it's beautiful (when you did the DFA)

the new update is really good. It plays right, it feels right. There's still some things I'd like to see smoothed out, but the core is very, very strong right now.

Section Z
Oct 1, 2008

Wait, this is the Moon.
How did I even get here?

Pillbug

rocketrobot posted:

This is not the first context in which I've been told that.

I understand your pain.

Amechwarrior
Jan 29, 2007

Here are both parts of what I think is the best Red City play-through from PDXcon. Mitch clearly had been doing this multiple times before these two and does a much better job of explaining the various mechanics. The interviewer controlling the game is also a TT nerd and already gets the basics. The pure excitement he shows while playing is great. They run about an hour total. I think this interview should be one of the first things to show people who might be interested, but don't know anything about the franchise. Would make a great addition to the OP.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ft1mzn0FyJ0
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OncJWeODv2M

A PCgaming article with Jordan also goes in to what they are trying to shoot for when talking about "The spirit of the game" they're trying to capture.
https://www.pcgamesn.com/battletech/battletech-rules

quote:

“We set our goal as to reproduce the same tactical considerations and the same unit identification. If you're talking about a particular mech, that mech should feel the same in our game as it did on the tabletop. We wanted to recreate the tactical considerations, the strategic considerations, the lore, and the feeling of it, but not be concerned with reproducing the exact mechanics.”

Sidesaddle Cavalry
Mar 15, 2013

Oh Boy Desert Map
That's a really helpful statement and I hope a lot of 'Mech designs and variants are generally worked towards being what they're kind of supposed to be like in lore. Some units on tabletop definitely don't perform up to the standards they're written to haha

kingcom
Jun 23, 2012

Amechwarrior posted:

Here are both parts of what I think is the best Red City play-through from PDXcon. Mitch clearly had been doing this multiple times before these two and does a much better job of explaining the various mechanics. The interviewer controlling the game is also a TT nerd and already gets the basics. The pure excitement he shows while playing is great. They run about an hour total. I think this interview should be one of the first things to show people who might be interested, but don't know anything about the franchise. Would make a great addition to the OP.

A PCgaming article with Jordan also goes in to what they are trying to shoot for when talking about "The spirit of the game" they're trying to capture.

The yogs have a pretty huge audience so having their excitement and selling of the game is a pretty solid boon to HBS.

DatonKallandor
Aug 21, 2009

"I can no longer sit back and allow nationalist shitposting, nationalist indoctrination, nationalist subversion, and the German nationalist conspiracy to sap and impurify all of our precious game balance."

Amechwarrior posted:

Not even the most zombiest of Awesome and still takes forever to kill that thing. Awesomes are just amazing.

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

Zombie Awesomes are terrifying on the tabletop

Dolash
Oct 23, 2008

aNYWAY,
tHAT'S REALLY ALL THERE IS,
tO REPORT ON THE SUBJECT,
oF ME GETTING HURT,

Hey y'all, sorry to ask a dumb question but I've been avoiding the beta to keep the game fresh for when it comes out. The only mention I've seen of a release date lately is 2018, which is pretty broad, though the chatter in here over the last couple pages seems pretty positive about how the game's coming along. Any indication it might be ready in a few months or should I expect to tune out for another year?

Sky Shadowing
Feb 13, 2012

At least we're not the Thalmor (yet)
Early 2018 is the current scuttlebutt, I believe.

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

Dolash posted:

Hey y'all, sorry to ask a dumb question but I've been avoiding the beta to keep the game fresh for when it comes out. The only mention I've seen of a release date lately is 2018, which is pretty broad, though the chatter in here over the last couple pages seems pretty positive about how the game's coming along. Any indication it might be ready in a few months or should I expect to tune out for another year?

i'd calibrate your expectations to mid 2018.

TheParadigm
Dec 10, 2009

sebmojo posted:

i'd calibrate your expectations to mid 2018.

hmn. Last I heard they had the framework of the dropship campaign/stuff going. You really think 9 months is enough for polish?

aniviron
Sep 11, 2014

Given the size of undertaking that this project represents I wouldn't be surprised to see another bump from early 2018 to mid-year. Especially given that the game went from crowdfunded-only to crowdfunded-with-publisher, HBS should have the funding to work on the game a little longer instead of pushing it out the door when they money is gone. Either way, I have faith.

Hammerstein
May 6, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 2 hours!
Considering that their Shadowrun games were really good I have no problem waiting a bit longer. I didn't play the backer beta that much, but I think the concept is sound and if properly fleshed out we will finally have one helluva mech game in 2018.

And if it's a financial success for them, well who knows, maybe do some expansion packs. More mechs, a timeline advance, another campaign...and so on.

Zaodai
May 23, 2009

Death before dishonor?
Your terms are accepted.

Given that they've announced a delay of basically every date they announced, it's safe to assume that "early next year" is actually mid-late next year.

veedubfreak
Apr 2, 2005

by Smythe
Do you want it good, or do you want it on time.

Psion
Dec 13, 2002

TheParadigm posted:

hmn. Last I heard they had the framework of the dropship campaign/stuff going. You really think 9 months is enough for polish?

probably, yes

but you never know :shrug:

Section Z
Oct 1, 2008

Wait, this is the Moon.
How did I even get here?

Pillbug

veedubfreak posted:

Do you want it good, or do you want it on time.

I want it good but not delayed until 2019 due to Harmony Gold :v:

Rygar201
Jan 26, 2011
I AM A TERRIBLE PIECE OF SHIT.

Please Condescend to me like this again.

Oh yeah condescend to me ALL DAY condescend daddy.

Zaodai posted:

Given that they've announced a delay of basically every date they announced, it's safe to assume that "early next year" is actually mid-late next year.

As opposed to unannounced delays?

I'd rather it be delayed and good personally

Zaodai
May 23, 2009

Death before dishonor?
Your terms are accepted.

I mean, so would I. But the question itself was how likely is it to be delayed, so smug "I'd rather it be delayed and good. :smuggo:" type responses aren't answers to the question?

Q_res
Oct 29, 2005

We're fucking built for this shit!
And I'm pretty sure you're 100% right, I don't think they've hit a single date without a delay. I mean, it's not anything to get worried about, but I think it is true. Though in fairness, they're a small outfit and this is a pretty ambitious title.

So, at this point I'd say don't set any expectations beyond '2018' and just be patient. We'll get our game eventually.

Amechwarrior
Jan 29, 2007

Delay it long enough and HG's contract will run out in 2021, it won't be an issue anymore! I think that gives them enough time to work in the 3025 LAMs and quads right?

I've been messing around with the AI's global settings file in a search to make it tougher. I've gotten the AI team to use Reserve fairly intelligently and they stick close together so you can't isolate just one. I'm still working on Sensor Lock values, and the clumping means they don't move forward as quickly, but it feels like a much smarter AI than stock. If anyone wants to give it a spin, replace the global.json in the \BattleTech_Data\StreamingAssets\data\behaviorVariables folder.

global.json - edited

veedubfreak
Apr 2, 2005

by Smythe

Zaodai posted:

I mean, so would I. But the question itself was how likely is it to be delayed, so smug "I'd rather it be delayed and good. :smuggo:" type responses aren't answers to the question?

What was smug about my response? Do you want it in open beta and broken as gently caress for 3 years like :pgi: did?

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

How has the pubbie backlash been when they announced the previous delays? I imagine if enough people were in an uproar HBS may not want to delay again. Delay beyond their vague 2018 commitments, that is.

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

I've been totally cool with the delays tbh, but I also haven't been checking in on games like a hawk.

Q_res
Oct 29, 2005

We're fucking built for this shit!

AAAAA! Real Muenster posted:

How has the pubbie backlash been when they announced the previous delays? I imagine if enough people were in an uproar HBS may not want to delay again. Delay beyond their vague 2018 commitments, that is.

Outside of SA, you'll get a handful of people bitching about but they're a stark minority. They get a lot of slack from their fanbase. I guess between the SR games and their openness they've built a lot of trust.

Drone
Aug 22, 2003

Incredible machine
:smug:

Q_res posted:

Outside of SA, you'll get a handful of people bitching about but they're a stark minority. They get a lot of slack from their fanbase. I guess between the SR games and their openness they've built a lot of trust.

It's also a bit of a breath of fresh air to have someone trustworthy, transparent, and forward-facing with a good track record doing something with the Battletech franchise for a change.

Zaodai
May 23, 2009

Death before dishonor?
Your terms are accepted.

Plus having the beta out so there is something playable alleviated a lot of the flak they were getting prior. People got to play it and (mostly?) enjoyed it, so at that point it was easier to accept that waiting on it was worth it and that it probably wouldn't be a dumpster fire.

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

Yes, I know I'm old, get off my fucking lawn so I can yell at these clouds.

Zaodai posted:

Plus having the beta out so there is something playable alleviated a lot of the flak they were getting prior. People got to play it and (mostly?) enjoyed it, so at that point it was easier to accept that waiting on it was worth it and that it probably wouldn't be a dumpster fire.

poo poo, what they've got right now would have been any other company's Early Access launch.

Psion
Dec 13, 2002

Yeah, the merc contract loop is closed and functional and combat is playable. Cyrano's right about that.

Amechwarrior
Jan 29, 2007

If anyone is bored with the AI, I made a thread detailing what we can edit and how some of it works.

https://community.battletechgame.com/forums/threads/9768

Updated my global.json AI file to v2. More DFA, less overheating and Sensor Lock weirdness. It can use Reserve well and I can lose a match if I don't pay attention.

School Nickname
Apr 23, 2010

*fffffff-fffaaaaaaarrrtt*
:ussr:

Amechwarrior posted:

If anyone is bored with the AI

I'm not, I suck poo poo. :saddowns: Tried the default Med battle lance vs the AI's Med Assault Lance. Drowned the hunchback with LRMs, got a headshot with an AC10, then even more LRMs. I was doing fairly well, but my urbie on the hill at river crossing got one shot as soon as the HB got into range. Then the hunchback and centurion mauled my centurion and trebuchet, while their Orion flanked mine. In the end, my armless, torsoless, weaponless trebuchet finally managed to take out the Orion with a sliver of health left and win the match.

Is perching on a hill basically suicide for a light, unless you're miles away? I wish there was a LOS bonus at least. Also I don't know why walking into water doesn't work half the time.

P.S. Anyone encounter a bug where the AI hits you with melee attacks at range? Felt like the AI had developed anime powers or some poo poo.

Rygar201
Jan 26, 2011
I AM A TERRIBLE PIECE OF SHIT.

Please Condescend to me like this again.

Oh yeah condescend to me ALL DAY condescend daddy.

School Nickname posted:

Is perching on a hill basically suicide for a light, unless you're miles away? I wish there was a LOS bonus at least. Also I don't know why walking into water doesn't work half the time.

P.S. Anyone encounter a bug where the AI hits you with melee attacks at range? Felt like the AI had developed anime powers or some poo poo.

There is deep water. It's a darker shade of blue, and generally positioned where you would think deep water would be

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

Not moving at full speed is suicide for light mechs

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

Captain Foo posted:

Welcome to pppbbbbttttt 20 years ago?

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

AAAAA! Real Muenster posted:

Welcome to pppbbbbttttt 20 years ago?

this has been true in every iteration of bt I've ever played :shrug:

Party Plane Jones
Jul 1, 2007

by Reene
Fun Shoe

Captain Foo posted:

"Speed is life. You go slow, you die."

Sidesaddle Cavalry
Mar 15, 2013

Oh Boy Desert Map

Party Plane Jones posted:

"Speed is life. You go slow, you die."

:swoon: Sergeant Unther was figuratively my second father as a child.

Amechwarrior
Jan 29, 2007

School Nickname posted:

As others have said, yes it is suicide. The reserve system and using it to keep Light mechs alive has been my biggest thing I've had to re-calibrate from TT rules. Reserve your Lights when you are in a safe spot for later, after most units have fired. Move as much as you can and still shoot, end your moves in trees but don't run through forests. The AI "Rocket Fists" melee issue is already a known bug. Report it every time you see it so the devs can get more data on when it happens. I think it only happens with knocked over AI chose to stand and then melee, they're also able to declare called shots on melee attacks while we cannot. We've seen a series of bugs with the AI using abilities well beyond normal ranges, like multi-target allowing the AI to do 360 torso spins and hit you with a small laser at LRM distances, through solid rock.

Here is a little hint I found out the other day. The AI will always move units in order from top to bottom of the Lance Config list. If the AI has two mediums, the one higher on the billeting will always go first. Just watch the AI move and you can figure out who goes last in a Phase and exploit it. Knockdowns and shutdowns move to the front of the line when they can act.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Party Plane Jones
Jul 1, 2007

by Reene
Fun Shoe

Sidesaddle Cavalry posted:

:swoon: Sergeant Unther was figuratively my second father as a child.

"Shoot me even once, and I'll tear that beer can you call a Mech into scrap."
"Shoot for his cockpit. Kill the meat, save the metal."
"If you get killed try to scream a lot. That way I'll know I'm on my own."
"Morning! How's it feel to be strapped into a walking 'nuke reactor at 6 AM. Bet you're sorry you didn't study harder in school."
"Good work. And kid, don't think of them as people you killed. Think of them as a line on your resume."

Then you find out later the Mech company he's with gets investigated by Comstar because he was training people and ejected out of danger leaving all the newbies to die.

Party Plane Jones fucked around with this message at 06:05 on Sep 22, 2017