Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
spog
Aug 7, 2004

It's your own bloody fault.
Perhaps you could ship the truck with Greyhound?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

Land owner is over it all apparently, can't really say I blame him.

INCHI DICKARI
Aug 23, 2006

by FactsAreUseless

everdave posted:

Was anyone given a heads up about this? I realize it ain't our land ain't our poo poo but a lot of people did a lot of poo poo on the assumption this was cool to do. Can DJDanno weigh in here what is the status? I am very concerned hearing this.

Yeah it kind of took me by surprise when he snapped at me this morning and I asked Dan and whoops he's serious. I'm considering packing up the area and relocating to the park or surrounding area tomorrow and only coming back to work on the truck/check the mail, there's a lot up in the air at the moment and I'm not entirely sure what to do

EdwardSwifferhands
Apr 27, 2008

I will probably lick whatever you put in front of me.
You could find out if there's any work that could be done to our around the house in the meantime to make the situation a win win for everyone. I'm assuming the gutters would at least need cleaned out, that sort of thing. Also read my last post in this thread.

Kazinsal
Dec 13, 2011

loving shiiiiit.

Let us know what we can do to help, Dave. Even if it's just something to try to keep djdaddo from evicting you at shotgun-point.

Faerunner
Dec 31, 2007
Well gently caress, that's a real downer. I was wondering why he kept swinging around to check in on you. Seeing as how Danno barely mentioned his dad's involvement other than his ownership of the land last year I figured his dad was just kinda chill with letting the truck take its time going away. Is the property actively up for sale? Is he, like, worried about property values/showing the place with 14" hanging out there? I am confused by this apparently sudden turn of events.

Also I don't recommend attempting to tow a fully loaded Coleman camper with a bicycle.

Not that my recommendation means much; if the camper needs to move Dave will probably try it anyway (and it might work, honestly... looks like the whole thing weighs less than some of the tile pallets I move around at work). I don't envy him, though. That much weight is NOT going to stop with just bike brakes if something goes wrong. Good thing Nebraska is pretty drat flat!

Slung Blade
Jul 11, 2002

IN STEEL WE TRUST

Do. Not. Tow. Camper. With. A. Bike.

Jesus Christ you guys.

`Nemesis
Dec 30, 2000

railroad graffiti
Uh yea a pop up camper is going to weigh at least 1,000 lbs, probably more like 2,000. It's not something that can be towed by bike, but I think 14 knows that.

Another set of hands would be good, but I don't know or think goons want to fund another person.... It would be more expensive than just supporting 14's survival.

14 is leaving a lot behind, most can't do that.

`Nemesis fucked around with this message at 11:26 on Sep 19, 2017

NitroSpazzz
Dec 9, 2006

You don't need style when you've got strength!

cursedshitbox posted:

what is the ballpark weight for this truck and will it fit on a uhaul trailer?

From way earlier in the thread:

Leperflesh posted:

I assumed the truck weighs close to 10k pounds, and certainly if your estimate of 9k pounds is correct, then the max of 10k is going to be very hard to stay under with any kind of reasonable trailer.

So yes there are vehicles you can probably rent that can handle towing that truck, but, check the laws for every state you're driving through because there's a good chance you'd be exceeding the maximum towing limit.
Donkey may be able to pull it but I'm guessing it's too heavy for a u-haul trailer. Think that's why he had so much trouble even getting it moved to Nebraska

rdb
Jul 8, 2002
chicken mctesticles?
Ohh, sorry to hear that, its a rough spot to be in. I have a trailer I would be willing to let sims borrow, but its only rated to 10,200lbs, it weighs 2700 or so by itself, so its just slightly too small.

Perhaps some cash to djdaddo would ease the situation.

my kinda ape
Sep 15, 2008

Everything's gonna be A-OK
Oven Wrangler

rdb posted:

Perhaps some cash to djdaddo would ease the situation.

That's kind of what I was thinking. Although it's gonna be a tough sell getting people here to pay rent on a patch of grass on top of everything else :v:

Did he elaborate at all as to why he was upset? I know how small towns are, maybe there are people murmuring about how he's got a crazy dude(no offense 14!) camped out on his property now and he's not too happy with how that looks.

angryrobots
Mar 31, 2005

I'm seeing estimates at weight in the 6-7k range.

A guy with a steel dump bed 6400 says his hit the scale at 8500lbs empty, so this (rotten) wood bed truck is definitely lighter than that.

rdb
Jul 8, 2002
chicken mctesticles?
Don't forget those trucks came in various wheelbase and probably GVWs.

If you stripped all the rotten wood off it you could probably get the weight down at least 1000lbs. What are the dimensions? Mainly the width between the outside of the tires, like how wide would the trailer have to be, and how long. It really sounds like a job for a guy with a gooseneck and a dually, so $1k+ to move it to FL.

E: It also sounds like this is going to push things into the weight range (over 10k lbs combined) where DOT requirements are going to have to be met.

rdb fucked around with this message at 13:11 on Sep 19, 2017

ExplodingSims
Aug 17, 2010

RAGDOLL
FLIPPIN IN A MOVIE
HOT DAMN
THINK I MADE A POOPIE

Yeah, that was the reason we didn't just ship it to begin with. It cost $800 just to ship it a couple of miles from Montana to there.

Shipping to FL was getting into $2500+ range. You need a fairly heavy duty trailer to move the thing. Like the guy I bought it from had a buddy of his who was willing to help and it maxed out his trailer.

ssb
Feb 16, 2006

WOULD YOU ACCOMPANY ME ON A BRISK WALK? I WOULD LIKE TO SPEAK WITH YOU!!

I'm kind of surprised about the sudden urgency to the whole thing, but as it's not my land I can't exactly be upset about it.

ExplodingSims have you talked to djdanno and figured out what's going on here, exactly?

And if this does need to stop now and the truck be either shipped at great expense or scrapped somewhere in Valentine, then what? Where does Dave go?

Jealous Cow
Apr 4, 2002

by Fluffdaddy

shortspecialbus posted:

I'm kind of surprised about the sudden urgency to the whole thing, but as it's not my land I can't exactly be upset about it.

ExplodingSims have you talked to djdanno and figured out what's going on here, exactly?

And if this does need to stop now and the truck be either shipped at great expense or scrapped somewhere in Valentine, then what? Where does Dave go?

Into the danger hurricane zone!

ExplodingSims
Aug 17, 2010

RAGDOLL
FLIPPIN IN A MOVIE
HOT DAMN
THINK I MADE A POOPIE

Yeah, I talked with him a bit this morning. Trying to work on smoothing things out for now. But, this kinda came out of the blue, as we had all been told our returning was ok.

The is not ever getting scrapped, that is not an option. We're trying to work on other possible extraction methods for Dave and the truck now.

If Dave can get his debit card, or a useful shipment of tools, we can at least work on getting it running and possibly moved off the property at least.

ssb
Feb 16, 2006

WOULD YOU ACCOMPANY ME ON A BRISK WALK? I WOULD LIKE TO SPEAK WITH YOU!!

I have an acre in Wisconsin as well as like a 60 gallon air compressor and a bunch of tools, but the problem is the land isn't at all flat and I'm not sure where the truck could be put that wouldn't be on some dangerous angle. The flat part of my driveway would also be too small. It also doesn't solve any problem about cost, since Wisconsin isn't all that close to Nebraska and if we're going to ship it here, we might as well just finish the trip and send it to Florida.

Not Wolverine
Jul 1, 2007

shortspecialbus posted:

Wisconsin isn't all that close to Nebraska and if we're going to ship it here, we might as well just finish the trip and send it to Florida.
But it's not about the truck or Florida anymore, it's about Dave freezing his dick off with a bicycle and half of a metric Harbor Freight socket set in a field somewhere committing unspeakable acts in a vain attempt to take the Trukk to Valhalla, Wisconsin is perfect for that. Can we get the truck up to Slung Blade's land?

angryrobots
Mar 31, 2005

rdb posted:

Don't forget those trucks came in various wheelbase and probably GVWs.

If you stripped all the rotten wood off it you could probably get the weight down at least 1000lbs. What are the dimensions?

14 INCH DICK last year posted:

Outer tire edge to edge contact patch is 68"

Rim face to face is about 72-74

I swear wheelbase was posted somewhere too.

rdb posted:

E: It also sounds like this is going to push things into the weight range (over 10k lbs combined) where DOT requirements are going to have to be met.

Even with a u haul trailer, you're over 10k combined with most trucks, but afaik per the federal motor career laws, that only really matters if you're hauling for profit. So if you ended up paying someone, yes they need DOT medical cards and DOT numbers displayed on the truck. No CDL as long as combined weight is under 26k.

*However* if not hauling for profit then motor career laws do not apply until 26k.

Garage2Roadtrip
Oct 27, 2016
Does anyone between Asheville, NC and Dave have a gooseneck equipment trailer, or access to one? With the right length trailer it'd be possible to get the camper and truck on without issue.

edit: have truck, can assist, but don't have trailer.

rdb
Jul 8, 2002
chicken mctesticles?

angryrobots posted:

I swear wheelbase was posted somewhere too.

Even with a u haul trailer, you're over 10k combined with most trucks, but afaik per the federal motor career laws, that only really matters if you're hauling for profit. So if you ended up paying someone, yes they need DOT medical cards and DOT numbers displayed on the truck. No CDL as long as combined weight is under 26k.

*However* if not hauling for profit then motor career laws do not apply until 26k.

https://www.fmcsa.dot.gov/faq/how-do-i-determine-whether-i-am-subject-fmcsas-safety-regulations-0

The reason I mentioned that is because a potential 3rd party would be hauling sims truck from NB to FL when the third party doesn't reside in either location. Even if its done for free, any DOT officer I have ever been stopped by would be suspect or may just say its commercial and slap some 5 figure fines on the driver and put them out of service.

E: my trailer is 20' long, 78" wide between the fenders, but its bumper pull. A skid steer trailer.

rdb fucked around with this message at 14:16 on Sep 19, 2017

Garage2Roadtrip
Oct 27, 2016

rdb posted:

https://www.fmcsa.dot.gov/faq/how-do-i-determine-whether-i-am-subject-fmcsas-safety-regulations-0

There are a couple thresholds, one is 26k gross combined weight rating, the other is 10k lbs gross vehicle weight. The reason I mentioned that is because a potential 3rd party would be hauling sims truck from NB to FL when the third party doesn't reside in either location. Even if its done for free, any DOT officer I have ever been stopped by would be suspect or may just say its commercial and slap some 5 figure fines on the driver and put them out of service.

I had a friend get caught up in that mess hauling a dozen flatbed trailers between an F800 and another trailer from Texas to AK. His load was suspect for obvious reasons. The word "commerce" is the critical part of the FMCSA thing you posted. I'd hope that a lovely old truck and an inoperable pop-up wouldn't draw as much attention.

e: that trailer sounds like it'd probably work?

rdb
Jul 8, 2002
chicken mctesticles?
It really depends on the weight of the truck. I just double checked the sticker on the trailer, its rated at 10,400lbs. It weighs around 2500-2700 on its own, which only leaves 7k for the truck. Its located near the tell city, IN area, closest to I64.

angryrobots
Mar 31, 2005

rdb posted:

The reason I mentioned that is because a potential 3rd party would be hauling sims truck from NB to FL when the third party doesn't reside in either location. Even if its done for free, any DOT officer I have ever been stopped by would be suspect or may just say its commercial and slap some 5 figure fines on the driver and put them out of service.

E: my trailer is 20' long, 78" wide between the fenders, but its bumper pull. A skid steer trailer.

That hasn't been my personal experience with them, but I won't argue the point - I've never hauled cross country. I know they look for stuff that is clearly overweight, and/or likely suspects to be in a for profit operation without the proper paperwork and licensure (for example, big horse trailers and race car trailers hauling to prize events). If you're uncomfortable with it, I understand. It's your equipment and your risk to be taking. When I initially offered to help move the truck, I told Larry that I'd prefer he rode along for exactly that reason.

I do have a CDL and have offered to help move the truck. I also have a 20' bumper trailer with hinged fenders and a winch that I've offered to use. It's rated at 9900 lbs so like RDB's skid, marginal for the task at hand, if the truck is over 7k lbs.

I'm in the middle of SC.

Garage2Roadtrip
Oct 27, 2016

rdb posted:

It really depends on the weight of the truck. I just double checked the sticker on the trailer, its rated at 10,400lbs. It weighs around 2500-2700 on its own, which only leaves 7k for the truck. Its located near the tell city, IN area, closest to I64.

It's hard to get an accurate number on the truck since records of model numbers and chassis designations seem to be muddled, but I'd guess 7k would be the upper limit for the truck.

Digging deeper into CDL law is where things get weird. The GVWR of my truck is 9,700-11,400 as it sits. So based on various interpretations of the CDL laws, I wouldn't even be allowed to pull a riding mower on a HF trailer?

ExplodingSims
Aug 17, 2010

RAGDOLL
FLIPPIN IN A MOVIE
HOT DAMN
THINK I MADE A POOPIE

For what it's worth I'm still considering your trailering offer.

The only issue, with anything involving recovering this thing, is I can't get time off til the end of October, because my job has a blackout period throughout summer.

TWSS
Jun 19, 2008

Crotch Fruit posted:

Can we get the truck up to Slung Blade's land?

I'm pretty sure he lives in Alberta.

Fo3
Feb 14, 2004

RAAAAARGH!!!! GIFT CARDS ARE FUCKING RETARDED!!!!

(I need a hug)
Yeah but he's the mayor :v:

Elephanthead
Sep 11, 2008

Toilet Rascal
What is the cheapest lot in Valentine for rent? Sale? There has to be $1,000 1/4 acre somewhere. You got to own land to be mayor.

Slung Blade
Jul 11, 2002

IN STEEL WE TRUST

TWSS posted:

I'm pretty sure he lives in Alberta.

Correct. Entirely the wrong direction.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

Has there been thought to just paying DjDaddo some rent money?

Jealous Cow
Apr 4, 2002

by Fluffdaddy

Elephanthead posted:

What is the cheapest lot in Valentine for rent? Sale? There has to be $1,000 1/4 acre somewhere. You got to own land to be mayor.

I was looking into this earlier. Small lots in town are in the 5 digits, and further out the parcels are all large enough to get expensive.

But loving hell I really want that 407 acre snake river land.

Mr. Nice! posted:

Has there been thought to just paying DjDaddo some rent money?

I feel like people probably move to the Nebraska wastes because they don't like attention. This whole situation brings lots of attention.

beep-beep car is go
Apr 11, 2005

I can just eyeball this, right?

What about....making the truck smaller? Like, two goons with marginal trailers go out, and one hauls the chassis, and one hauls the bed/tires/whatever and neither goes over weight.

angryrobots
Mar 31, 2005

Garage2Roadtrip posted:

It's hard to get an accurate number on the truck since records of model numbers and chassis designations seem to be muddled, but I'd guess 7k would be the upper limit for the truck.

Digging deeper into CDL law is where things get weird. The GVWR of my truck is 9,700-11,400 as it sits. So based on various interpretations of the CDL laws, I wouldn't even be allowed to pull a riding mower on a HF trailer?

The motor carrier laws are difficult to interpret, but you're good so long as you're under 26k (add the truck and trailer GVWR together), and not in business.

Under 10k total - you're good regardless of profit or not

Over 10k, under 26k - Hauling something personally like your tractor or a vehicle you own or for a friend, you're ok.

BUT if there is any way to profit from what you're doing, the driver needs a DOT medical card and the truck/business must have displayed DOT numbers and full compliance with a random drug testing program for anyone who will be driving company vehicles.

Over 26k - If not for profit, driver needs additional license certification. What's available may vary by state from what I've found. There are non-CDL (but over 26k) categories in SC.

If over 26k and in business, see everything above, plus appropriate CDL and any extra certification for any driver.

angryrobots fucked around with this message at 15:33 on Sep 19, 2017

rdb
Jul 8, 2002
chicken mctesticles?

Garage2Roadtrip posted:

Your fine for a couple reasons. One, your probably not crossing state lines, and two, its your own personal stuff, not for profit or hire. If you were cutting lawns for cash in another state you would. Within your state i am not sure what the laws are.

Also, CDL is different. You can be subject to FMCSA rules (i.e. physical, logbook, equipment, DOT number, road tax) and not need a CDL because its all under 26,000lbs.

In theory, it would be legal for one of us to haul a truck for free for a friend. However, weather or not its free comes down to the interpretation of the officer. If sims was riding along the story would seem plausible, if its just one random person hauling it from two states they don't reside in, well...

I am ok with lending the trailer for a bit. I used it to haul round bales Saturday, so I wont need it for another month.

Garage2Roadtrip
Oct 27, 2016
Okay, so <10k for profit, and 10k-26k for personal no profit is fine (and I knew I could get away with drat near anything with an RV, I tipped the scales at 23k pulling my toy hauler from AK).

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

At least in Florida, RVs are exempted from the 26k limit.

Elephanthead
Sep 11, 2008

Toilet Rascal
This is also farm equipment which gives a nice exemption from almost all laws. We have proof Dave is lord of the cock ants.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

beep-beep car is go
Apr 11, 2005

I can just eyeball this, right?

Elephanthead posted:

This is also farm equipment which gives a nice exemption from almost all laws. We have proof Dave is lord of the cock ants.

Yeah but "Farm" hauling also has the implication that you're staying local. Going a few thousand miles driving whatever on the interstate and going "Oh no officer, it's for farming" probably won't fly.

• Locked thread