Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Serf
May 5, 2011

Punkin Spunkin posted:

Steel isn't even the best black superhero of the 90s

we should move onto a topic we can all agree on...like zack snyder

gently caress me I watched this movie so many times when I was a kid. It was one of the few movies they had at the video rental store. poo poo still rules.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chairman Capone
Dec 17, 2008

Best black superhero of the 90s?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6TaShNXN2PQ

Mecha Gojira
Jun 23, 2006

Jack Nissan

Megaman's Jockstrap posted:

Hmmm...not really. Matt especially is a screechlord internet dumbo. But you know what? Their politics are very good, so we let 'em slide.

Yeah, I love Chapo, am a Gray Wolf, etc. But their movie reviews are pretty terrible and miss the point by miles so they can make digs at a movie they didn't really watch or care for.

What I really hate is that they don't think about the movie for themselves, and hide behind how they think "regular" people interpret it. So instead of tackling obviously satirical elements for example, they declare they don't matter because of some imagined "average viewer."

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

What a horrible thread to have a post.

Al Borland Corp. posted:

By extremely easy to watch do you mean widely available on free streaming services, or just briskly paced and enjoyable?

The latter.

Blade is incredibly good, as I've said before the first 10 minutes are a masterclass in how to introduce a new comic book hero. It tells you absolutely everything you need to know about the world and the character and does it in an exciting, interesting way.

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007

josh04
Oct 19, 2008

"THE FLASH IS THE REASON
TO RACE TO THE THEATRES"

This title contains sponsored content.

Shageletic posted:

When the Other is not around, the other characters should be asking, where's the Other?

Nerds are just jealous that Snyder's well Jung.

Gorn Myson
Aug 8, 2007

Mecha Gojira posted:

Yeah, I love Chapo, am a Gray Wolf, etc. But their movie reviews are pretty terrible and miss the point by miles so they can make digs at a movie they didn't really watch or care for.

What I really hate is that they don't think about the movie for themselves, and hide behind how they think "regular" people interpret it. So instead of tackling obviously satirical elements for example, they declare they don't matter because of some imagined "average viewer."
Even their Crash review was a let down. They should have been far more brutal on that movie than they were.

porfiria
Dec 10, 2008

by Modern Video Games
No guys the Marvel movies are good, they're making fun of (whatever it is you don't like about Marvel movies).

porfiria
Dec 10, 2008

by Modern Video Games
The prequels are good, they're actually satirizing (Natalie Portman's bad acting).

Punkin Spunkin
Jan 1, 2010
I just hope every goon that defends 300 as satire is also willing to put their lives down fighting for Sucker Punch
and boy are things gonna get interesting ITT if Zack ever makes that Ayn Rand movie he wants to do

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Punkin Spunkin posted:

I just hope every goon that defends 300 as satire is also willing to put their lives down fighting for Sucker Punch
and boy are things gonna get interesting ITT if Zack ever makes that Ayn Rand movie he wants to do

...you do realize, writing this, that many people have defended Sucker Punch in the past right?

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

*Israeli Government-affiliated poster

Punkin Spunkin posted:

We already live in the timeline with Joss Whedon's Justice League and a Batman movie that is having a harder time getting made than a Shazaam movie, so Snyder's Ayn Rand movie is almost certainly going to happen.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

porfiria posted:

The prequels are good, they're actually satirizing (Natalie Portman's bad acting).

They were purposely made bad as a joke!

Serf
May 5, 2011

After having watched mother! I am sad that Aronofsky's Batman movie never happened.

well why not
Feb 10, 2009

Al Borland Corp. posted:

Confession time, here's what I've got: never seen Blade

why deprive yourself of joy? get your leather-est coat and your most oval sunglasses and get ready to enjoy

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

I've never seen the Crow.

As both a comic book and horror nerd that has always struck me as odd. But I've just never gotten around to it.

Punkin Spunkin
Jan 1, 2010

Burkion posted:

...you do realize, writing this, that many people have defended Sucker Punch in the past right?
really?!?! :O

SuperMechagodzilla
Jun 9, 2007

NEWT REBORN

porfiria posted:

No guys the Marvel movies are good, they're making fun of (whatever it is you don't like about Marvel movies).

RBA Starblade posted:

They were purposely made bad as a joke!

They are making fun of people who use fake phrases like 'bad on purpose' and/or 'trolling' instead of accurate terms like 'camp', 'overidentification', and the like.

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

Punkin Spunkin posted:

really?!?! :O

Yes, Sucker Punch is a mess but it's exactly what I claim 300 is: a bunch of surface level right-wing imagery that hides a deeper message. Whereas 300 is about the effectiveness of fascist propaganda, Sucker Punch tries to deliver a more left message about solidarity and patriarchy and female exploitation. It mostly fails, but that's *very* clearly what it's trying to do.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

SuperMechagodzilla posted:

They are making fun of people who use fake phrases like 'bad on purpose' and/or 'trolling' instead of accurate terms like 'camp', 'overidentification', and the like.

I just wanted to get in on it and Wimp Lo came to mind

SuperMechagodzilla
Jun 9, 2007

NEWT REBORN
Watching This Is Spinal Tap, struggling to articulate the experience:

"It's evil, but... deliberately evil?!"

Punkin Spunkin
Jan 1, 2010

Yes, Sucker Punch is a mess but it's exactly what I claim 300 is: a bunch of surface level right-wing imagery that hides a deeper message. Whereas 300 is about the effectiveness of fascist propaganda, Sucker Punch tries to deliver a more left message about solidarity and patriarchy and female exploitation. It mostly fails, but that's *very* clearly what it's trying to do.
see, this is consistency I can approve of. Just making sure. it's not like I've got an ongoing memory of this thread's "plot arcs", burk. obviously somewhere there's a goon that's defended some movie

and to add to your post, it also has Oscar Isaac in a role of a lifetime, so that's also a +1 and also this was all just a trick to give me an excuse to post this video itt for the thousandth time
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UBVExpGMuB0

porfiria
Dec 10, 2008

by Modern Video Games

SuperMechagodzilla posted:

Watching This Is Spinal Tap, struggling to articulate the experience:

"It's evil, but... deliberately evil?!"

300 isn't very funny, although it has some okay memes.

porfiria
Dec 10, 2008

by Modern Video Games
I'll say this: Zack Snyder's greatest flaw is that he's never told a joke in his life.

Guy A. Person
May 23, 2003

It mostly fails, but that's *very* clearly what it's trying to do.

Yeah I remember watching is on a premium channel and being kind of shocked at how blatantly it was beating me over the head with its message. A character looks into the camera after a fantasy sequence and asks "isn't this all just exploitative titillation?" (approximately)

If anything it's too ham handed about its message that everything you are watching in the fantasy sequences is bullshit escapist fantasy.

The D in Detroit
Oct 13, 2012

porfiria posted:

I'll say this: Zack Snyder's greatest flaw is that he's never told a joke in his life.

he's 51 and a father of eight, I'm sure he's told a joke at least once.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

SleepCousinDeath posted:

he's 51 and a father of eight, I'm sure he's told a joke at least once.

Maybe the real joke is capitalism

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink

Al Borland Corp. posted:

Darkman...

Darkwing Duck...

Ducktales...

Howard the Duck...

Holy poo poo, Disney owns the latter three why have they not crossed over!?

Darkwing Duck and Ducktales have kind of crossed over, in that Darkwing Duck was originally a character in Ducktales named "Double-O Duck" who got a name change when he got his own series.

I haven't clicked it yet but this better loving be Meteor Man.

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

Snyder released his short film today but I want to say that, uh, his chosen avatar is pretty much MegaFascist SuperPatriot nonsense.

https://getvero.app.link/9HBzE7NoxG

Fun fact: it's shot entirely with an iPhone. (https://www.vero.co/discover/zacksnyder)

Anyway it's on some new site that's collecting phone numbers so I'm definitely gonna stay away. Let me know when it hits Youtube.

Megaman's Jockstrap fucked around with this message at 20:54 on Sep 19, 2017

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

Look forward to watching when it is on a real video platform. Not expecting anything great, this was conceived and shot over a weekend for fun

K. Waste
Feb 27, 2014

MORAL:
To the vector belong the spoils.

porfiria posted:

300 isn't very funny, although it has some okay memes.

300 is hilarious.

Pirate Jet
May 2, 2010

porfiria posted:

https://i.imgur.com/WfSuJVT.mp4

DeimosRising
Oct 17, 2005

¡Hola SEA!

Punkin Spunkin posted:

And we can all also agree that Darkman is the best, which is a good starting point for further dialogue.

Obviously, obviously. But you're wrong about 300, bud. It's not your job or Snyder's to think for the audience, or fret about whether they "got it"

And yes Sucker Punch is good and a movie doesn't actually have to have good politics to be good. Though Snyder isn't an example of that

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

Also there a great sight gag right as the alien ship is coming into the atmosphere you are in a dark room and a machine flashes "warning. Warning." In red with a chyron going off. As the camera pulls out we see this is actually just the copy room of the daily planet and it flashes "Low Toner".

Punkin Spunkin
Jan 1, 2010

DeimosRising posted:

Obviously, obviously. But you're wrong about 300, bud. It's not your job or Snyder's to think for the audience, or fret about whether they "got it"
It's not your job to tell me what my job is, bud!

Schwarzwald posted:

I haven't clicked it yet but this better loving be Meteor Man.
drat fuckin right it's meteor man

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007

Snyder released his short film today but I want to say that, uh, his chosen avatar is pretty much MegaFascist SuperPatriot nonsense.

https://getvero.app.link/9HBzE7NoxG

Fun fact: it's shot entirely with an iPhone. (https://www.vero.co/discover/zacksnyder)

Anyway it's on some new site that's collecting phone numbers so I'm definitely gonna stay away. Let me know when it hits Youtube.

haha ya aren't kidding

DeimosRising
Oct 17, 2005

¡Hola SEA!

Punkin Spunkin posted:

It's not your job to tell me what my job is, bud!

drat fuckin right it's meteor man

No it's exactly my job. Wait poo poo are you saying I'm fired?

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

Sorry, I want to go back to this and say: this is transparently an attempt for you, a guy who hates Snyder, to get him out of the thread. No thank you.

It does bore me yeah. I've said all I'm ever gonna say about him, but if people feel more strongly who cares.

lol at you remembering my posting tho

e:

MacheteZombie posted:

I like this thread, divided by Snydes, united by Blade.

Wtf happened to the director. How did he go from the beauty of the first one to loving Extraordinary Gentlement?!?!

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

Guy A. Person posted:

Some motherfuckers alwaaays trying to ice skate uphill

*spin kicks a post about Snyder into the thread's forehead*

haha

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Shageletic posted:

lol at you remembering my posting tho

Yeah isn't it crazy how people remember other people and their opinions and habits and poo poo?

That's just cray

• Locked thread