Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Spun Dog
Sep 21, 2004

Smellrose

Grapplejack posted:

Aren't exmilitary people also usually way better cops, because they have both trigger discipline and deescalation / situational awareness drilled into them for years?

LOL, you should meet my veteran brother.

Sometimes people come back pretty hosed up mentally.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Enigma89
Jan 2, 2007

by CVG

Grapplejack posted:

Aren't exmilitary people also usually way better cops, because they have both trigger discipline and deescalation / situational awareness drilled into them for years?
If you count calling in artillery strikes as deescalation then yes.

Your Parents
Jul 19, 2017

by R. Guyovich

Kekekela posted:

Send in the armed forces.

and then we start using the armed forces for policing, and they start killing people, and we need a civilian police force, yeah we get it

no we should just have community policing that involves actually knowing your neighbors names and making friends with people and looking out for each other instead of paying local governments to fund a bunch of uneducated murderers to steal everyones poo poo with asset forfeiture.

Your Parents
Jul 19, 2017

by R. Guyovich

Ravenfood posted:

The problem isn't the removal of officers from active duty following a shooting, the problem is the lack of oversight and investigation into whether the shooting was necessary and there being consequences for the officer if they weren't. Police officers should be removed from active duty for any shooting. Any shootings should just also be investigated heavily, with significant consequences for officers who violate (better written) policies.

It blows my mind how easily officers can be re-hired in other departments even if they are, somehow, against all odds, fired.

They should be, without pay.

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

Your Parents posted:

no we should just have community policing that involves actually knowing your neighbors names and making friends with people and looking out for each other instead of paying local governments to fund a bunch of uneducated murderers to steal everyones poo poo with asset forfeiture.

Yeah I'm not really sure this is feasible anymore

Quorum
Sep 24, 2014

REMIND ME AGAIN HOW THE LITTLE HORSE-SHAPED ONES MOVE?

Your Parents posted:

Community policing is not the same as having the community police itself, which is nice but insufficient outside anarcho-syndicalist fantasyland.

i am harry
Oct 14, 2003

Democrazy posted:

In that case, I would say that the unions reflect the culture rather than cause it.

And in reflection lives sustenance.

Now for something completely different:

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

Obscure to all except those well-versed in Yuuzhan Vong lore.
It's been studied that ex military people do indeed make better police officers because they are competently trained.

Chilichimp
Oct 24, 2006

TIE Adv xWampa

It wamp, and it stomp

Grimey Drawer

Pembroke Fuse posted:

I've heard that ROEs in Iraq were more stringent than whatever training cops get, but can't confirm first-hand. Could just be bullshit.

I know quite a few soldiers who served in Iraq and Afghanistan and every time someone posts a story on facebook about some kid getting blown away for looking at a cop wrong while brandishing a cosplay sword or w/e, they hem and haw and hand wring about the cops being pussies.

It could all be bullshit, sure, but at the same time, threat assessments were the difference between life and death every loving day in the warzone. They got good at telling who was a threat. Cops here pretend like they're in a warzone and use that excuse to justify extra-judicial murder all the time, but the reality of policing is it's very boring and really they have no idea how to tell if someone is a threat, which is why when they pull you over for having an expired tag, they treat you like a drug dealer. Stand behind your door with their hands on their sidearm the whole time. Use stern, sterile, robotic language. You'd think they were on a mission to police rabid wombats, when really they're just running a speed trap for extra bonus money.

Chilichimp fucked around with this message at 17:26 on Sep 19, 2017

Condiv
May 7, 2008

Sorry to undo the effort of paying a domestic abuser $10 to own this poster, but I am going to lose my dang mind if I keep seeing multiple posters who appear to be Baloogan.

With love,
a mod

Quorum posted:

Community policing is not the same as having the community police itself, which is nice but insufficient outside anarcho-syndicalist fantasyland.

Iirc, when cops threw a fit over deblasio and started not doing their jobs to show everyone how important they were, NYC became a nicer place to live

Then they realized no-one missed them and went back to work

Condiv
May 7, 2008

Sorry to undo the effort of paying a domestic abuser $10 to own this poster, but I am going to lose my dang mind if I keep seeing multiple posters who appear to be Baloogan.

With love,
a mod

Maybe, just maybe, communities would be better off without savages equipped with military gear prowling the streets...

Bubbacub
Apr 17, 2001

Boon posted:

The Navy at least desperately needs it.

Amazing restraint in the bill, it only allocates funding for two LCS that the Navy doesn't want. Conveniently, the shipyard is in Alabama.

Jazerus
May 24, 2011

Grapplejack posted:

depends on what they did in the military

if they were basically occupation police somewhere like baghdad? yeah, they're very good cops because they were trained to deescalate situations that the average american cop would start shooting in.

anything else and they're no different from anyone else except for the possibility of ptsd

Gynocentric Regime
Jun 9, 2010

by Cyrano4747

Condiv posted:

Iirc, when cops threw a fit over deblasio and started not doing their jobs to show everyone how important they were, NYC became a nicer place to live

Then they realized no-one missed them and went back to work

It's almost as if crime is at an all time low and they aren't needed as much as they think they are!

Condiv
May 7, 2008

With love,
a mod

What exactly are cops protecting us from nowadays? Nazis? Nah they sit back while those fuckers brutalize nonviolent counter protestors. Lynch mobs? Nope again, they're trying to protect teenagers who lynched a mixed race kid from the justice they deserve.

Murderers and rapists? Usually they just pin those on the nearest black person and get their promotion. Or if the rapist or murderer is rich and powerful they intimidate the victim or claim it was a suicide...

dreffen
Dec 3, 2005

MEDIOCRE, MORSOV!

Condiv posted:

What exactly are cops protecting us from nowadays?

Peaceful protest.

Pembroke Fuse
Dec 29, 2008

Condiv posted:

What exactly are cops protecting us from nowadays? Nazis? Nah they sit back while those fuckers brutalize nonviolent counter protestors. Lynch mobs? Nope again, they're trying to protect teenagers who lynched a mixed race kid from the justice they deserve.

Murderers and rapists? Usually they just pin those on the nearest black person and get their promotion. Or if the rapist or murderer is rich and powerful they intimidate the victim or claim it was a suicide...

Cops are really great at "interrogating", so good in fact that roughly 40% of innocent people suddenly find out they're really guilty and confess! http://www.huffingtonpost.ca/entry/exonerations-2015_us_56ac0374e4b00b033aaf3da9

Your Boy Fancy
Feb 7, 2003

by Cyrano4747

QuoProQuid posted:

i have news on the future of the democratic party:

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=CDfhFfKSohc

gently caress this guy.

I mean, we all know his name now, so good for him. But at no point, even in the last five seconds of the ad, does he say what the gently caress he's for. I bet he wants me to google his rear end, and let me tell you. I'm not gonna loving do that. And I'm a loving junkie. Imagine what regular people do.

Comstock should've gone down in flames last year, but her opponent was every centrist Clintonite/Blairite motherfucker rolled into one. She even skipped her COPE committee meeting (when labor meets you and decides whether to stump for you) and called in an hour late via Skype. We didn't spend a dime on her.

She's gonna live forever due to an endless army of bullshit centrists. gently caress Barbara Comstock.

Ague Proof
Jun 5, 2014

they told me
I was everything

Pembroke Fuse posted:

Cops are really great at "interrogating", so good in fact that roughly 40% of innocent people suddenly find out they're really guilty and confess! http://www.huffingtonpost.ca/entry/exonerations-2015_us_56ac0374e4b00b033aaf3da9

It's true, that's how I found out I was the Oklahoma City Bomber.

axeil
Feb 14, 2006

Your Boy Fancy posted:

gently caress this guy.

I mean, we all know his name now, so good for him. But at no point, even in the last five seconds of the ad, does he say what the gently caress he's for. I bet he wants me to google his rear end, and let me tell you. I'm not gonna loving do that. And I'm a loving junkie. Imagine what regular people do.

Comstock should've gone down in flames last year, but her opponent was every centrist Clintonite/Blairite motherfucker rolled into one. She even skipped her COPE committee meeting (when labor meets you and decides whether to stump for you) and called in an hour late via Skype. We didn't spend a dime on her.

She's gonna live forever due to an endless army of bullshit centrists. gently caress Barbara Comstock.

Isn't this just one guy in a primary field of 5? Surely he won't win the primary given how hopping mad NOVA is?

Crowsbeak
Oct 9, 2012

by Azathoth
Lipstick Apathy

Your Boy Fancy posted:

gently caress this guy.

I love his websites take on healthcare.

Litteral loving cuck posted:

The United States is the richest and most powerful nation in the history of the world, but our healthcare system fails to ensure that all of our citizens have access to the medical care they need. Our system is also excessively expensive. In Congress, Dan will consider all courses of action that would expand access and lower medical costs.

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

Obscure to all except those well-versed in Yuuzhan Vong lore.
Society needs some form of established policing. It just shouldn't be the hosed up mess we have now.

OtherworldlyInvader
Feb 10, 2005

The X-COM project did not deliver the universe's ultimate cup of coffee. You have failed to save the Earth.

Your Parents posted:

How do you think that would play out in a county with deep ethnic divisions and very high gun ownership rates?

Cerebral Bore
Apr 21, 2010

Fun Shoe

OtherworldlyInvader posted:

How do you think that would play out in a county with deep ethnic divisions and very high gun ownership rates?

Better than taking some uneducated hotshots, teaching them that everybody in wider society is out to get them and then giving them de facto legal impunity for their actions except in the most egregious of cases.

Condiv
May 7, 2008

With love,
a mod

OtherworldlyInvader posted:

probably better than giving the racist white people guns, military gear, and nearly complete immunity from the law while everyone else has no recourse but to pray to god the KKK members in blue don't murder them

Crabtree
Oct 17, 2012

ARRRGH! Get that wallet out!
Everybody: Lowtax in a Pickle!
Pickle! Pickle! Pickle! Pickle!

Dinosaur Gum

Shimrra Jamaane posted:

Society needs some form of established policing. It just shouldn't be the hosed up mess we have now.

Too bad the police union will never allow it.

Carlosologist
Oct 13, 2013

Revelry in the Dark

do you guys think that there's a possibility that the Electoral College thing the states proposed ever gets around to passing? I like the idea of apportioning votes since it seems that every state has forgotten the original purpose of the EC

Democrazy
Oct 16, 2008

If you're not willing to lick the boot, then really why are you in politics lol? Everything is a cycle of just getting stomped on so why do you want to lose to it over and over, just submit like me, I'm very intelligent.

Crabtree posted:

Too bad the police union will never allow it.

Police unions are not the only problem. It's not like management is champing at the bit make sure that police are held accountable.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

Carlosologist posted:

do you guys think that there's a possibility that the Electoral College thing the states proposed ever gets around to passing? I like the idea of apportioning votes since it seems that every state has forgotten the original purpose of the EC

All the states that would benefit from it are already signed on, at this point they need to start recruiting states that would lose influence under it and/or are controlled by Republicans who like how the EC distorts the vote. So likely not any time soon.

Rigel
Nov 11, 2016

haveblue posted:

All the states that would benefit from it are already signed on, at this point they need to start recruiting states that would lose influence under it and/or are controlled by Republicans who like how the EC distorts the vote. So likely not any time soon.

To add onto this, if we ever get to the point where enough states sign on to the interstate compact, the GOP will be so hated and marginalized at that point that the Dems would always win the EC anyway.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
Even in that situation it should be eliminated, it's mathematically possible to win the presidency with something like 21% of the vote (in a distribution totally incompatible with the real red/blue divide, but still).

RuanGacho
Jun 20, 2002

"You're gunna break it!"

I'm starting to wonder if the GOP has object permanance

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

RuanGacho posted:

I'm starting to wonder if the GOP has object permanance

boy, that sounds like hippy talk

Carlosologist
Oct 13, 2013

Revelry in the Dark

a significant portion of people over 55 are probably functionally illiterate, so it's totally possible they missed some cognitive development along the way

Mustached Demon
Nov 12, 2016

Carlosologist posted:

a significant portion of people over 55 are probably functionally illiterate, so it's totally possible they missed some cognitive development along the way

Die Boomer scum.

Carlosologist
Oct 13, 2013

Revelry in the Dark

Mustached Demon posted:

Die Boomer scum.

my parents are Boomers (I'm a millennial) but they grew up outside of the US so I'm happy I don't have to deal with parents who are MAGA, Fox News worshippers

but seriously, the boomers legitimately broke everything useful and we're here to clean the poo poo up and maybe try and have something functional for Generation AA or Z or whatever

Mustached Demon
Nov 12, 2016

Carlosologist posted:

my parents are Boomers (I'm a millennial) but they grew up outside of the US so I'm happy I don't have to deal with parents who are MAGA, Fox News worshippers

but seriously, the boomers legitimately broke everything useful and we're here to clean the poo poo up and maybe try and have something functional for Generation AA or Z or whatever

It's also our fault shits hosed.

mdemone
Mar 14, 2001

Carlosologist posted:

Fixed. Source: I'm a teacher.

Carlosologist
Oct 13, 2013

Revelry in the Dark

mdemone posted:

Fixed. Source: I'm a teacher.

In a few of my internships I saw sixth and seventh graders who were reading well below reading level and my co-ops said they try to bring them along but most of the time there's no getting to them

:negative:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

boner confessor
Apr 25, 2013

by R. Guyovich
i think it can be a little difficult for people who spend all day communicating to each other over a text based medium to really grasp that there's a significant number of people out there who are fully intelligent and functional but they just don't have literacy skills due to some combination of disability and poor educational opportunity. especially if you've gone months or even years without clicking on gbs

• Locked thread