Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Batterypowered7
Aug 8, 2009

The mist that chills you keeps me warm.

Mirthless posted:

The show itself isn't really creepy and framing it that specific way is pretty weird

There are tons of anime that follow characters through high school, slice of life is a huge genre and K-On is one of the most well-known and best regarded works within that genre. It's a pretty family friendly series and is appropriate for all ages.

Dude obsessed with Mio is a loving weirdo and unfortunately a lot of weirdos are attracted to anime featuring cute girls in high school. That doesn't mean those stories/characters are inherently bad, creepy or sexual. :shrug:

I wasn't commenting on the show, mind you, just the obsessed dude.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Doggles
Apr 22, 2007

My [28 F] Boyfriend [28 M] of 5-6 years has changed his mind about marriage in our future and I don't know how to proceed.

quote:

About a year or two ago, He kept bringing up marriage and I thought it was a real possibility in our future. With that in mind, I saved up a bunch of money and we decided to buy a house. For various credit related reasons (My salary is lower than his, and I have 2 car notes on my credit right now) we decided to put the house in his name. It was mostly my sacrifices that got us into the house, and I'm still paying off debt from the initial move in, about 3 months ago.

Just this weekend, we were talking and it came up that his friend considering a divorce with a woman we all knew was bad news from the beginning, and he drops the bomb "I love you and all but I never want to get married for real" and I don't know why, but I was devastated. I mentioned that if we never got married, all of my assets in his name would go to his parents and sibling if anything were to happen, and I'd be left with nothing to show for my sacrifice in life because I've been essentially building his asset worth with the idea that it'd really be "ours" one day (stupid I know. so stupid please spare me how stupid you think i am, I already feel stupid). He just brushed it off, saying I shouldn't worry about that... BUT I AM WORRIED. I literally spent the last 3 years sacrificing to build something that can be taken from me on a whim, and he likes that option and he PREFERS that option. I'm seriously deeply hurt by that notion because it just shows me that he doesn't have my security and well being in mind.

I don't know what to do. I'd like to step back, stop taking care of the bills for him, basically downgrade to basic girlfriend status. Would this be a good idea? What are my options? I don't want to continue to build his future while sacrificing my own, since it'll always be "his" and never "ours."
He says it's just a piece of paper and doesn't matter, but he's not the one set to lose it all.

tl;dr: My boyfriend started talking about marriage, we took a major step and bought a house, I paid for it but put it in his name, and now he says he doesn't want to get married anymore.

How do I proceed to step down from doing wife things since there's no hope of actually being his wife? How would you recommend I secure a future for myself that can't be taken in the event that he leaves or dies?

When asked if her sacrifices meant paying for half of the down payment, her response:

quote:

No, I used some of my savings to pay for the whole downpayment and closing costs, and I took out a line of credit for new furniture that's just about paid off now. I'll just have to rebuild my own savings and I've decided not to contribute to the joint account for bills any longer.

:murder: the boyfriend mooching housemate.

hawowanlawow
Jul 27, 2009

Mirthless posted:

The show itself isn't really creepy and framing it that specific way is pretty weird

There are tons of anime that follow characters through high school, slice of life is a huge genre and K-On is one of the most well-known and best regarded works within that genre. It's a pretty family friendly series and is appropriate for all ages.

Dude obsessed with Mio is a loving weirdo and unfortunately a lot of weirdos are attracted to anime featuring cute girls in high school. That doesn't mean those stories/characters are inherently bad, creepy or sexual. :shrug:

nah it's pretty weird

Seven Hundred Bee
Nov 1, 2006

who the gently caress are all these people getting married at 19/20/21?

Tricky D
Apr 1, 2005

I love um!
It's pretty common outside of large cities for people to get married and have kids right of high school. Probably because no one told them any better.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Wow, he got her good to have the house be in his name. Kind of want to golf clap him into the evil ex's hall of fame.

Mirthless
Mar 27, 2011

by the sex ghost

Seven Hundred Bee posted:

people who didn't go college and people who served in the military

people settle into the life plan earlier when they're not pursuing higher education. and for people serving in the armed forces, getting married is a no-brainer, you get an instant pay bump and better benefits when you're married, the longer you wait the more money you leave on the table.

boner confessor
Apr 25, 2013

by R. Guyovich
it's not that you can't train cats really, it's just that there is often very little point to training a cat because the things that humans typically expect cats to do (chase and kill vermin, be companionable) are things they do naturally. you can train dogs to do a lot more useful work

people who want to gently caress but are told they have to be married first

also people with no real concept of life's possibilities who think that immediately starting a family is what they are supposed to do rather than waste their twenties doing something far more entertaining than having children

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost

HoAssHo posted:

God drat, how do you get a job where you can just takes months off at a time because you're depressed and they bend over backwards to work with you on it?

Be hired in the U.K. Before Brexit 🇬🇧

Ouhei
Oct 23, 2008

:minnie: Cat Army :minnie:

Barudak posted:

Wow, he got her good to have the house be in his name. Kind of want to golf clap him into the evil ex's hall of fame.

Yeah that poo poo is amazingly cold. Especially since she would have had to give him the money with a signed gift letter in order for the mortgage to go through. Like, she literally signed a thing that said she gave that guy money to buy the house...

Clark Nova
Jul 18, 2004

DragQueenofAngmar posted:

this ones a doozy

Me 39F with my 44M Depressed Colleague who has accused me of bullying him

[UPDATE] Me 39F with my 44M Depressed Colleague who has accused me of bullying him.

The best part was that fatty sadsack put so much thought, time and effort into his spreadsheet presentation to beg for a free cat, and if he were willing to apply that to his actual job (and not gone full sov-cit lawsuit word salad) they probably would’ve kept him. :allears:

Skutter
Apr 8, 2007

Well you can fuck that sky high!

Danaru posted:

My [24F] BF [31M] of 4 months keeps (accidentally?) invading my privacy

The reason the boyfriend didn't think she was at dinner like she said she was?

reddit posted:

I've already locked my phone and turned off my "public" Spotify activity (he was also timing my music so that he could try and predict when I was at work/driving/etc.).

He also "helped" her set up her new laptop, surely he didn't put a keylogger on there or anything.

Adam Vegas
Apr 14, 2013

HoAssHo posted:

God drat, how do you get a job where you can just takes months off at a time because you're depressed and they bend over backwards to work with you on it?

Be hired in a country with good employment law, aka not the US

Mirthless
Mar 27, 2011

by the sex ghost

HoAssHo posted:

If you work for a very large company (>50,000 employees) a lot of the time they will have extremely forgiving policies when it comes to mental health. At that scale, it's easier to keep a few dozen nonproductive employees around than it is to deal with the potential lawsuit and fine they'll get slapped with if they gently caress up with the wrong person. Large employers are also under EEOC scrutiny pretty much all the time so they want to have as many disabled employees on the books as they can get.

When I was at my absolute worst as a person (fully unmedicated) I worked for Hewlett-Packard and the stuff they let me get away with... Hooooo, boy. I'd come in 2-3 hours late twice a week on average, missed two days of work a month for as long as i worked there, and had a number of on-the-floor meltdowns that would have gotten me fired in a second with a less forgiving employer. At a couple of points when I was at my lowest I was offered sabbaticals - i passed on the opportunity, but it would have been acceptable and consequence free. :shrug:

It took me 3 years to lose that job - i'd have been out on my rear end in three weeks if I'd kept up that behavior at the place I work now. It was nice to not have to worry about depression getting me fired, but it really really held me back when it came to personal growth.

Applesnots
Oct 22, 2010

MERRY YOBMAS

A few pages back.

Mirthless posted:

Ceramics glazed with radioactive material and glass made with uranium sand are both completely safe to use for eating and drinking. There's not enough radioactivity present to be harmful. You probably wouldn't want to give a baby a uranium glass baby bottle all the time but the amount of exposure you get from radioactive ceramics/glass is very low. The only reason these things don't get made anymore is because Uranium is a lot harder to buy than it was pre-WW2.

I wouldn't recommend using anything radioactive that is chipped or broken but otherwise you should bust that stuff out and if it's not the kind that glows under blacklight, get a geiger counter so you can show off when you have company

I own a bunch of both the radioactive stoneware and glassware. The glassware is pretty much non detectable over normal background radiation. The red stoneware is pretty drat hot though, I get around 20,000 cpm off of just a coffee cup, some of the plates have around 3 to 4 grams of uranium used in the glaze. While that falls in a safeish range, I would not put it under my pillow or eat out of it.

Uranium ore is easier to get than ever.
https://unitednuclear.com/index.php?main_page=index&cPath=2_4

Yawgmoth
Sep 10, 2003

This post is cursed!

Dienes posted:

Cats aren't untrainable (I train cats as a side job)
Many jobs call themselves cat herders so you'll have to be more specific. :v:

Mirthless
Mar 27, 2011

by the sex ghost

Adam Vegas posted:

Be hired in a country with good employment law, aka not the US

We actually have a lot of good laws on the books regarding people with mental health disabilities, it's just, most employers here ignore those laws completely between the concept of "employment at will" and the understanding that lawsuits are too expensive for unemployed disabled people to pursue

Applesnots posted:

A few pages back.

I own a bunch of both the radioactive stoneware and glassware. The glassware is pretty much non detectable over normal background radiation. The red stoneware is pretty drat hot though, I get around 20,000 cpm off of just a coffee cup, some of the plates have around 3 to 4 grams of uranium used in the glaze. While that falls in a safeish range, I would not put it under my pillow or eat out of it.

Uranium ore is easier to get than ever.
https://unitednuclear.com/index.php?main_page=index&cPath=2_4

:eyepop: holy poo poo!

I think I'd still love to have some radioactive stoneware but I didn't realize they used that much. Wow!

Mirthless fucked around with this message at 20:26 on Sep 19, 2017

Adam Vegas
Apr 14, 2013

Mirthless posted:

We actually have a lot of good laws on the books regarding people with mental health disabilities, it's just, most employers here ignore those laws completely between the concept of "employment at will" and the understanding that lawsuits are too expensive for unemployed disabled people to pursue

Yeah that's fair - my mum works as a mental health advocate here in the UK and while our current government treats the mentally ill and disabled like utter poo poo (it's disgusting), the saving grace is that employers here are usually very good about mental health

Applesnots
Oct 22, 2010

MERRY YOBMAS

Mirthless posted:

:eyepop: holy poo poo!

I think I'd still love to have some radioactive stoneware but I didn't realize they used that much. Wow!

Here ya go.
http://unitednuclear.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=2_8&products_id=1088

LadyPictureShow
Nov 18, 2005

Success!

My (51/M) husband has been lying to me (50/F) for decades. He cheated on me when we were younger.

quote:

I feel as though my world has shattered. Over 30 years of marriage over. When were in HS and dating my Husband was out sick with the Flu. We had a big dinner date planned. We tell the story to our kids about how I was having a breakdown because of my terrible cooking and he calls and says he's out sick. This was important because, it was our first date.

Turns out he wasn't sick but had a UTI from sex.

I found out old yearbook and a found an odd thing. A couple days before he got sick he was at the football game. It's a blink and you'll miss it but, under the Bleachers I see him making out with Sheila one of the Cheerleaders. That couldn't be right but, no, my fears were confirmed that was him.

So I dig deeper and head back to our School. Sheila is now a Cheer Coach. We go out to dinner and my fears are confirmed after I confront her. Not only did he make out but, he loving hosed HER. My world shattered, I haven't stopped crying. Our marriage was based on a lie.

I'm at a loss of what to do. Is this something I should forgive? Am I being unreasonable? We were kids and things were different back then. Over 30 years of wonderful marriage. I'm not sure what to do anymore. I haven't confronted him yet as he's still on a "business trip"

Ahahahahahaha.

bamhand
Apr 15, 2010
There is a King of the Hill episode that is almost that exact story.

half coke half diet
Feb 3, 2006
I fight for all those men who have their nuts in a vice grip

LadyPictureShow posted:

My (51/M) husband has been lying to me (50/F) for decades. He cheated on me when we were younger.

Ahahahahahaha.

Im totally confused, if you haven't had a first date yet how can he have cheated?

Danaru
Jun 5, 2012

何 ??
Man I'm generally all for putting cheaters against the wall, but 30+ years? Unless you killed someone most crimes don't have that kind of statute of limitations.

Also

half coke half diet posted:

Im totally confused, if you haven't had a first date yet how can he have cheated?

Barudak
May 7, 2007

bamhand posted:

There is a King of the Hill episode that is almost that exact story.

Finally we have found a woman crazier than peggy.

Ouhei
Oct 23, 2008

Hahahaha, I'm gonna have to look up the comments on that one because holy poo poo how do you blow up a marriage of 30+ because your hubby had sex with someone before your first date?

half coke half diet
Feb 3, 2006
I fight for all those men who have their nuts in a vice grip

Ouhei posted:

Hahahaha, I'm gonna have to look up the comments on that one because holy poo poo how do you blow up a marriage of 30+ because your hubby had sex with someone before your first date?

I was struggling to find it, if you find it post it por favor?

Ouhei
Oct 23, 2008

I was struggling to find it, if you find it post it por favor?

I am too, I'll post it if I manage to find it though.

LadyPictureShow
Nov 18, 2005

Success!

Ouhei posted:

It's in the 'controversial' section, if that helps. I don't know if those get cordoned off from the rest of the r/relationships tales of woe.

Ouhei
Oct 23, 2008

LadyPictureShow posted:

It's in the 'controversial' section, if that helps. I don't know if those get cordoned off from the rest of the r/relationships tales of woe.

It does! https://www.reddit.com/r/relationships/comments/712ngd/my_51m_husband_has_been_lying_to_me_50f_for/

Multilake
Dec 11, 2016

If you're in a jam, a crayon scrunched under your nose makes a good pretend moustache.

You are a saint! Now if you would excuse me please, i've got reading to do.

Mirthless
Mar 27, 2011

by the sex ghost
Items in "controversial" have been downvoted a lot - these are generally posts with a high rate of traffic but the post score keeps it from front paging.

ArbitraryC
Jan 28, 2009
Pick a number, any number
Pillbug

The reddit comments are full of people asking this same question,

op never came back to clarify so I'm guessing it's just bait.

LadyPictureShow
Nov 18, 2005

Success!

I thought if you linked the thread, the OP got wiped. Have I misunderstood reddit in this thread? I only browse it to try and find some juicy horror stories to add to this thread.

ArbitraryC
Jan 28, 2009
Pillbug
Also pitching this in front of a younger audience is super funny, it's 2k17 it's still not even cheating if you've been dating for sometime because it's p common to date multiple people until things get serious. It becomes infidelity when you've agreed to not gently caress other people.

Ouhei
Oct 23, 2008

LadyPictureShow posted:

I thought if you linked the thread, the OP got wiped. Have I misunderstood reddit in this thread? I only browse it to try and find some juicy horror stories to add to this thread.

I think we generally don't link the reddit threads out of a hope to keep things from getting out of hand. I figured this case was worth looking up, didn't see anything in the OP about not doing it but if any mod wants it removed I can do so.

I Was The Fury
Oct 19, 2012

Always stop to smell the flowers, just in case they're weeds

High schoolers are incredibly stupid

LadyPictureShow
Nov 18, 2005

Success!

Ehhhh, there was another one in the controversial section where a guy broke up with his GF because she slept with a FWB before he 'put a stamp on it' to see each other exclusively. Some people are weird like that.

ArbitraryC
Jan 28, 2009
Pillbug

LadyPictureShow posted:

Ehhhh, there was another one in the controversial section where a guy broke up with his GF because she slept with a FWB before he 'put a stamp on it' to see each other exclusively. Some people are weird like that.

I think the general rule of thumb is to not expect exclusivity unless you've had a convo about it but at the same time if you as an empathetic person can pick up on the idea that the person you're dating wants to move in that direction and would be hurt if you slept around it's still probably not in the best taste to keep loving around because it's "technically" okay.

It can be kind of a gray area. In that OP's case where it was literally before their first date tho, it's not.

Bunni-kat
May 25, 2010

Service Desk B-b-bunny...
How can-ca-caaaaan I
help-p-p-p you?

LadyPictureShow posted:

Linking the OP is the entire point of Reddit. It's just we don't usually link OPs so fewer people touch the poop.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Day Man
Jul 30, 2007

Champion of the Sun!

Master of karate and friendship...
for everyone!

I had a kid in high school and got married at 19. Went on to get my PhD and we're still happily married 14 years later, so it doesn't always turn into a disaster! it usually does, though