Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

SteelMentor
Oct 15, 2012

TOXIC
Give them regular Human heads and shave off any cult symbols and they pass fine.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gravitas Shortfall
Jul 17, 2007

Utility is seven-eighths Proximity.

Prime brown.

Not even joking, it owns.

Gyro Zeppeli
Jul 19, 2012

sure hope no-one throws me off a bridge

Nthing "Prime Black Always".

I've tried priming white and grey before and just can't get into it.

mango sentinel
Jan 5, 2001

by sebmojo

Gyro Zeppeli posted:

Nthing "Prime Black Always".

I've tried priming white and grey before and just can't get into it.

I've done it to a couple things but colors on white end up looking like candy heart pastels to me.

Warboot
Dec 13, 2012

Snuff films...Ya know, for kids!
I always do one or two coats of black primer followed up by a coat, maybe two of grey. But with an airbrush I can do all sort of wacky poo poo with primer.

richyp
Dec 2, 2004

Grumpy old man
Primed black for about 25 years, switched to grey about 5 years ago and realised how many years I'd wasted a) painting additional layers over black (or intermediate layers such as grey/white to get white, or brown to get yellow) b) painting in general c) that I've got less than a week before I turn 40 and am supposed to grow up. Same thing happened at 30 but meh.

Shockeh
Feb 24, 2009

Now be a dear and
fuck the fuck off.
This foray back into painting is the first time I've sprayed grey ever, and I don't think I'm ever going back to black now. Grey owns bones.

Shadin
Jun 28, 2009

Shockeh posted:

This foray back into painting is the first time I've sprayed grey ever, and I don't think I'm ever going back to black now. Grey owns bones.

I have a way easier time picking out details when I prime grey as opposed to black.

Z the IVth
Jan 28, 2009

The trouble with your "expendable machines"
Fun Shoe

richyp posted:

Primed black for about 25 years, switched to grey about 5 years ago and realised how many years I'd wasted a) painting additional layers over black (or intermediate layers such as grey/white to get white, or brown to get yellow) b) painting in general c) that I've got less than a week before I turn 40 and am supposed to grow up. Same thing happened at 30 but meh.

Zenithal prime everything for the best of both worlds. It's amazing how much less work you have to do when everything 'underneath' has been painted black and you can safely ignore it if you miss it.

PierreTheMime
Dec 9, 2004

Hero of hormagaunts everywhere!
Buglord
Test DG models (primed black):

ijyt
Apr 10, 2012

No-one is saying you can't, it's just easier on grey.

ANAmal.net
Mar 2, 2002

100% digital native web developer
I like the Army Painter colored primers, it rules that I can throw down Dark Angel or Deathwing basecoats (and Ravenwing dudes, obviously, but black isn't exactly a novel color for priming) right out of a can. I'm lazy as poo poo, so it kicks rear end.

Ilor
Feb 2, 2008

That's a crit.

ijyt posted:

^^^ This.

Lovely Joe Stalin
Jun 12, 2007

Our Lovely Wang

PierreTheMime posted:

Test DG models (primed black):

For some reason your pics aren't showing in the post for me.

jng2058
Jul 17, 2010

We have the tools, we have the talent!

Beer4TheBeerGod posted:

Might be worth considering. My main goal was to find a way to enable consecutive casting for all powers with varying degrees of results.

Deified Data posted:

Everything in the same detachment has to be the same faction but you can include them in separate detachments.

The Bee posted:

Imperium Soup. If you want GK exclusive stratagems, though, best to keep them as separate detachments. Some people splash in an Assassin and eat the -1 CP to have them as auxiliary detachments without needing another troop or HQ as tax.

To clarify it works thusly:

Everything in your army has to be from the same faction. However "Imperium" is a legitimate faction choice. So you could, if you wished, have an Inquisitor (HQ) leading a Vanguard detachment (Minimum 1 HQ, 3 Elites) and have an Assassin, a Marine Terminator Squad, and some Ratlings as the three Elite choices.

However, as the various Codexes come out, these each say that if you want access to the special army rules, stratagems, and relics, every unit in the detachment that wants access has to be from the same <CHAPTER> (and equivalents such as <REGIMENT> for Guard and so on). So the above mixed bag Vanguard detachment would still be legal to play, but you couldn't use the Ultramarine army ability or stratagems, or even the general Space Marine stratagems, for those Terminators even if they're painted all nice and Ultramarine Blue because the detachment wasn't all Ultramarines.

That said, there's a Codex gap right now. Until the Guard Codex comes out, for example, there ARE no Regiment dependent rules, stratagems, or relics. Therefore there's no particular reason NOT to mix and match your Guard, Assassins, Telepathica, and Inquisitors into whatever "Imperial Soup" you feel like. And given that there are plenty of small detachment choices out there, you can even get some Marines as long as you keep them to themselves in a separate detachment.

For example, my Marines are a Raven Guard successor chapter. If I'm not playing pure Marines, I'll often throw in a Vanguard detachment consisting of a Terminator Librarian (HQ), a Terminator Squad, and a couple of Sternguard squads (the 3 Elites). The Librarian and the Termies Deep Strike in, the Sternguard use the Ravenguard "Strike from the Shadows" ability to set up where I want them at the start of the game, making them a nice Hammer to my Guard gun and tank line's Anvil. If I'm feeling saucy, I'll throw in an Eversor Assassin as part of the Gaurd contingent (because there's no penalty for doing so until the Guard book comes out) but have him deploy from hiding alongside the Terminators.

That sort of thing.

In the future as the books come out those options will narrow, of course. (Assuming the Guard regimental rules and stratagems are worth the effort.) But right now, only the basic Marines, Grey Knights, and Mechanicus are really tied down by special rules. Want to have Space Wolves driving alongside Lemun Russes in the same detachment? Go for it.

DiHK
Feb 4, 2013

by Azathoth
I think that if you took a water colors course and planned your poo poo out real good you'd probably do a really great job with white primer.

I should take a water color course.

I'm a big fan of rustoleyms new candy apple red. I have blood angels.

DiHK fucked around with this message at 00:10 on Sep 20, 2017

TheChirurgeon
Aug 7, 2002

Remember how good you are
Taco Defender

ijyt posted:

coward

Lovely Joe Stalin posted:

same

goose willis
Jun 14, 2015

Get ready for teh wacky laughz0r!
Is it intentional that Death Guard can't take a Chaos Lord on a palanquin of Nurgle? Seems like a kind of weird omission to make

PierreTheMime
Dec 9, 2004

Buglord

Lovely Joe Stalin posted:

Grr. What do people use to post pics? It shows fine for me on AwfulApp but the host is notorious for adware crap and is likely blocked. I only used to use it because it was the only host I could find at my last job.

The Bee
Nov 25, 2012

Making his way to the ring . . .
from Deep in the Jungle . . .

The Big Monkey!

goose willis posted:

Is it intentional that Death Guard can't take a Chaos Lord on a palanquin of Nurgle? Seems like a kind of weird omission to make

The model basically doesn't exist, and for that reason is index-only. I'm sure in the future, we'll get a Lord of Contagion on a Palanquin to make up for it.

LordAba
Oct 22, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

mango sentinel posted:

Playtesters straight up talked about it being a thing (in a positive, new possibilities way) but we don't know test conditions or lists. It could be every time there was a smite heavy list it was up against some army that doesn't give a gently caress about mortal wounds?

Isn't the spam list using cheap forgeworld psykers? I wouldn't think they would be testing for that.

Pendent
Nov 16, 2011

The bonds of blood transcend all others.
But no blood runs stronger than that of Sanguinius
Grimey Drawer

PierreTheMime posted:

Grr. What do people use to post pics? It shows fine for me on AwfulApp but the host is notorious for adware crap and is likely blocked. I only used to use it because it was the only host I could find at my last job.

Imgur has consistently been the most reliable image host over the past few years. If you have to deal with filtering at work there's a good chance they're blocked though.

PierreTheMime
Dec 9, 2004

Buglord
Alright let's try this again:

My apologies if someone has to see these twice. :/

TheChirurgeon
Aug 7, 2002

Remember how good you are
Taco Defender
Those are some swell lookin deathguard

Broken Record Talk
Jul 28, 2009

A three-hundred thousand degree baptism by nuclear fire;
we had it coming.
Good mans. Nice scheme.

adamantium|wang
Sep 14, 2003

Missing you

Gravitas Shortfall posted:

Prime brown.

Not even joking, it owns.

Not empty quoting this

E: those are some nice mans Pierre

Squibsy
Dec 3, 2005

Not suited, just booted.
College Slice

PierreTheMime posted:

Alright let's try this again:

You take that apology back. Now people need to see them three times.

You're welcome, ingrates.

goose willis
Jun 14, 2015

Get ready for teh wacky laughz0r!

PierreTheMime posted:

This is much better than seeing another goose willis post

Fake James
Aug 18, 2005

Y'all got any more of that plastic?
Buglord
As someone who is still stuck between my DG's primary armor color being either Pallid Wych Flesh or Screaming Skull, I will stick with white primer thank you very much :colbert:

jadebullet
Mar 25, 2011

MY LIFE FOR YOU!
Made a test model for my eventual Death Guard. Let me know what you guys think.

PierreTheMime
Dec 9, 2004

Buglord

jadebullet posted:

I like the color and execution! I'd probably recommend adding a different complimentary color for the plasma coils to break the model up a bit and give it a "pop" of accenting color.

Fake James
Aug 18, 2005

Y'all got any more of that plastic?
Buglord
It looks like the engine compartment of my old car shortly before it died - rusty and covered in dried chemicals. With Death Guard, that's a compliment.

Hamshot
Feb 1, 2006
Fun Shoe

jadebullet posted:

Settle down Blanche.

Seriously that is the most 40k Blanche-looking model I think I've seen outside of models done by the man himself, it is frightening in a good way and looks less a model and more a nurgle nightmare. How did you do it?

panascope
Mar 26, 2005

jadebullet posted:

You're not supposed to actually take a poo poo on your toys.

Hamshot
Feb 1, 2006
Fun Shoe
Wow, y'all are harsh as gently caress. He's got the armor the same color and texture of old leather bleached in a desert sun over decades, the eye looks like one from a harlequin baby and he's got great application of glossy black cables like jet black deep-sea worms writhing through a whale carcass. The thing looks like it was mummified and ancient, like a mammoth calf recently thawed. What's not to love?

Hamshot fucked around with this message at 03:00 on Sep 20, 2017

JoshTheStampede
Sep 8, 2004

come at me bro
Yeah that is a really great DG. I did laugh at the poop-glow from the plasma though.

Broken Record Talk
Jul 28, 2009

A three-hundred thousand degree baptism by nuclear fire;
we had it coming.

jadebullet posted:

Great start, but it's missing some "pop" to make the model come to life. Right now, it all kind of blurs together. Might I suggest some orange glow on the Plasma Gun, and some brighter metal work on parts of the trim?

Lovely Joe Stalin
Jun 12, 2007

Our Lovely Wang

jadebullet posted:

Paint the plasma coils orange. Paint the armour trim in a metallic colour. Pick out the horns with a brown or cream. At the moment the lack of contrasts is making it flat and visually confusing.

Big Willy Style
Feb 11, 2007

How many Astartes do you know that roll like this?
Always priming black should be put in the bin like the phase goons went through using gesso to undercoat

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zuul the Cat
Dec 24, 2006

Grimey Drawer
Combine them together, only Prime with black gesso.