Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

God damn it, you've got to be kind.
Man, there are so many real-life cutscenes I'd like to skip.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bolow
Feb 27, 2007

GOOD TIMES ON METH posted:

Conversely I've had almost zero problems using duty finder to get through the MSQ. Once you unlock the inn room you can watch all the videos and a lot of random pubs seem happy enough about the tome bonus to go slow through dungeons anyways. One dude was writing an essay about how to fight each boss in Aetherochemical the other day because he saw the first time bonus, which was cool (but not really needed). The only issues I've really had so far have been in extreme trials where the roulette people have no idea what to do since they don't come up much.

The big caveat is that I am queueing as WHM so I don't actually have to wait more than a couple minutes usually.

This has been my experience as a Dragoon as well. Although I did get some friends to run me through Aetherochemical because I was looking at an over 30min queue. The final boss there might be an issue since it's kind of cutscene heavy.

Thundarr
Dec 24, 2002

Bolow posted:

This has been my experience as a Dragoon as well. Although I did get some friends to run me through Aetherochemical because I was looking at an over 30min queue. The final boss there might be an issue since it's kind of cutscene heavy.

In ARC the party is locked in a force field while somebody is watching the pre-boss cutscene so it isn't much of an issue compared to Castrum/Praet.

Solo Wing Pixy
Aug 5, 2008

It's an amanojaku!
And it hates you so much!

A. Beaverhausen posted:

That's the Garuda Astrolabe isn't it? It goes great with the outfit.

Yep, the Lift of the Vortex to be precise. The one that drops from Garuda HM doesn't get the nifty particle effects. If you also want an awesome-looking planisphere...it's a crafted item so you could buy it from the Market Board, but the markup on them was obscene last time I checked. The parts for it are all listed here, so just buy them and bug a gooncrafter to put it together for you.

Of course I changed the glamour like a few hours later, because Eopia (who has excellent taste in JRPGs by the way) reminded me that the old AF2 gear can be upgraded and dyed for the low, low cost of 50 Centurio Seals, or 120 if you don't have the stuff sitting around already. Most of the AST AF2 set is ugly as can be, but the hat and veil...

:perfect: except for the lighting I guess. It's true, AST is the preppiest class in the game and will turn even mild-mannered men, mer, and maidens into manaical selfie-takers.

Dick Trauma posted:

I see that the game obliges you to play group content to continue with the main quest. I got into the first dungeon and as I expected it was all people who had probably run it 1,000 times before and we blazed through it, no time to read anything or ask questions. I was dps so I just stood back and attacked things until everything the tank pulled was dead and boom we were done.

Spent almost an hour waiting for a group for the next dungeon in the quest line but it never came together. So... guess I can take time off to catch up on my fishing.

I know like three people beat me to saying this, but you should join a goon FC and bug us to help you with these things! I'll tank or heal anything with a newbie if they ask and aren't a huge jerk, and tanks/healers usually get into dungeons almost instantly. That said, even if you don't go that route (or you're on a different server) you should be able to get into dungeons more quickly today and tomorrow because level 60+ people will be doing Wondrous Tails.

Lord of Pie
Mar 2, 2007

My highest level thing now is a dps and some of the queues I've been getting the past week or so on those Heavensward wrap up storyline dungeons have been fkn dire.

If I had it to do again I would have just faked knowing how to tank on that MRD I got to 50 back in the ftp days and enjoyed the easy queues and armory bonus forever after

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

I know someone asked about creating a character on Excalibur but when I tried the server was locked so made it somewhere else.

Bolow
Feb 27, 2007

Thundarr posted:

In ARC the party is locked in a force field while somebody is watching the pre-boss cutscene so it isn't much of an issue compared to Castrum/Praet.

You sure about that? Or is the force field exclusive to synced parties? I had some friends run me through it because I was looking at a 40m queue and they killed both phases of the boss before I finished the pre-boss cutscene

Bolow fucked around with this message at 18:13 on Sep 19, 2017

Brainamp
Sep 4, 2011

More Zen than Zenyatta

Solo Wing Pixy posted:

:perfect: except for the lighting I guess.

gpose lets you prop up several lights of varying strengths. That and the floating Sun/Moon mean there's never an excuse for a dark pic.

Xillah
Nov 29, 2002

I paid $10 to change some guys avatar to an Oblivion Elf with giant tits just to steal this gif
Hmm, had a look and Omega isn't on the list of servers you can transfer to. I suspect this is why I didn't end up on a goon server when I started originally last year, there's no chance I started this without reading the OP at the time.

Does that change sporadically as the server population changes if I keep an eye on it?

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

bone shaking.
soul baking.

Dick Trauma posted:

I know someone asked about creating a character on Excalibur but when I tried the server was locked so made it somewhere else.

It's open every day you just have to check it periodically. You can transfer whenever, but there's an $18 charge for xfering and if your char is still pretty new it's probably not worth it.

It is worth it to get on excal, whether by transfer or new char. Like as of 8am PDT (it may not be now) excal was open for new char creation:

http://na.finalfantasyxiv.com/lodestone/news/detail/80cd4583bf743600105b947d6906d0909189e479

That's the site to check. Next update is 1pm PDT.

Xillah
Nov 29, 2002

I paid $10 to change some guys avatar to an Oblivion Elf with giant tits just to steal this gif

Mr. Nice! posted:

It's open every day you just have to check it periodically. You can transfer whenever, but there's an $18 charge for xfering and if your char is still pretty new it's probably not worth it.

It is worth it to get on excal, whether by transfer or new char. Like as of 8am PDT (it may not be now) excal was open for new char creation:

http://na.finalfantasyxiv.com/lodestone/news/detail/80cd4583bf743600105b947d6906d0909189e479

That's the site to check. Next update is 1pm PDT.

Talk about timing. That answers that.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

bone shaking.
soul baking.

Xillah posted:

Talk about timing. That answers that.

I was just about to edit in a response to you! Yeah omega was open at 8am PDT. Might still be open now. During the week it isn't particularly difficult to make a char on most servers that aren't specifically "congested worlds" like balmung.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

bone shaking.
soul baking.
Like seriously if you are sub level 30, just consider your other char to be a test run and focus mostly on getting a character on excal/omega. It is 100% worth it to play on a server with a large friendly population. Goons will gear you up, run dungeons with you, etc happily. We're a big dumb family and although there's bickering and fighting on the forums in game most everyone grooves together well.

Thundarr
Dec 24, 2002

Bolow posted:

You sure about that? Or is the force field exclusive to synced parties? I had some friends run me through it because I was looking at a 40m queue and they killed both phases of the boss before I finished the pre-boss cutscene

Maybe they changed this when SB came out, but it definitely used to work this way.

A. Beaverhausen
Nov 11, 2008

by R. Guyovich

Mr. Nice! posted:

Like seriously if you are sub level 30, just consider your other char to be a test run and focus mostly on getting a character on excal/omega. It is 100% worth it to play on a server with a large friendly population. Goons will gear you up, run dungeons with you, etc happily. We're a big dumb family and although there's bickering and fighting on the forums in game most everyone grooves together well.

There hasn't even been a thread slap fight in a min

KoB
May 1, 2009
As far as I remember Ive always been able to forget theres a cutscene and start the boss down a man cuz im dumb.

Xillah
Nov 29, 2002

Mr. Nice! posted:

I've got a couple of classes up to 50, I know in the grand scheme of things that's not loads bit starting from level 1 would put me off tbh.

I'll just keep an eye on the transfer service.

Skaw
Aug 5, 2004

Xillah posted:

I've got a couple of classes up to 50, I know in the grand scheme of things that's not loads bit starting from level 1 would put me off tbh.

I'll just keep an eye on the transfer service.

At the very least, join the discord. Cross-world Party Finding has definitely diminished the absolute advantages of being on Excalibur with the rest of the goon population. I'd still recommend it though, even as someone on a different world, if you have no real attachments to the one you rolled on.

Solo Wing Pixy
Aug 5, 2008

It's an amanojaku!

Brainamp posted:

gpose lets you prop up several lights of varying strengths. That and the floating Sun/Moon mean there's never an excuse for a dark pic.

Yep, the actual screenshots always seem to turn out half a stop darker than they look in-game though. Probably something with my crappy graphics card.

LIGHTING

INSTAGRAM FILTERS

Should have taken some pictures of the WHM that challenged me to a particle effect fight in Kugane earlier. She lost. Badly.

KoB posted:

As far as I remember Ive always been able to forget theres a cutscene and start the boss down a man cuz im dumb.

Top tip: if you pull the boss early then realize "oh crap someone's in cutscene" you can just back out beyond the forcefield within 15 seconds. If everyone leaves, it just resets!

Only problem is that if someone else isn't paying attention and stays inside the boss arena, they'll get eaten and probably rage in party chat for ten minutes before ragequitting.

Dick Trauma posted:

Not to harp on it, but I can't recommend making a character on Excal highly enough. If you're on a particularly inactive server, it's the difference between playing a pretty good single player Final Fantasy where you occasionally have to pause for an hour to Sabin to show up, screw up all his Blitzes, then ragequit, and playing a pretty good MMO that's also a pretty good Final Fantasy.

Xillah
Nov 29, 2002

Skaw posted:

At the very least, join the discord. Cross-world Party Finding has definitely diminished the absolute advantages of being on Excalibur with the rest of the goon population. I'd still recommend it though, even as someone on a different world, if you have no real attachments to the one you rolled on.

I could actually move to Excalibur. It's the EU server, Omega, that's not on the list.

How bad would the lag be?

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy

Xillah posted:

I could actually move to Excalibur. It's the EU server, Omega, that's not on the list.

On some nights it was unplayable without a vpn for me, so I ended up switching to Omega. The ping isn't too bad though.

Solo Wing Pixy
Aug 5, 2008

It's an amanojaku!

Xillah posted:

I can't say from firsthand experience, but I know that earlier this year, the North American servers were moved from Montreal to Sacramento for some incomprehensible reason. At a glance, you're probably looking at 150ms of lag from Paris or London to Sacramento, plus whatever your ISP introduces. Not great, but probably not a dealbreaker unless you're a top-tier NIN. The other thing is that you're going to be a few hours ahead of the United States, so if you play during primetime (7:00 PM or thereabouts) the servers might seem a bit empty since a lot of Americans are still at work or school.

I have no idea what's going on with Omega transfers, and frankly I'm not sure that Square-Enix knows either. It seems really strange that they allow new character creation but block people transferring in, usually it's the other way around.

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

Solo Wing Pixy posted:

Yep, the actual screenshots always seem to turn out half a stop darker than they look in-game though. Probably something with my crappy graphics card.

LIGHTING

INSTAGRAM FILTERS

Should have taken some pictures of the WHM that challenged me to a particle effect fight in Kugane earlier. She lost. Badly.

Top tip: if you pull the boss early then realize "oh crap someone's in cutscene" you can just back out beyond the forcefield within 15 seconds. If everyone leaves, it just resets!

Only problem is that if someone else isn't paying attention and stays inside the boss arena, they'll get eaten and probably rage in party chat for ten minutes before ragequitting.

Not to harp on it, but I can't recommend making a character on Excal highly enough. If you're on a particularly inactive server, it's the difference between playing a pretty good single player Final Fantasy where you occasionally have to pause for an hour to Sabin to show up, screw up all his Blitzes, then ragequit, and playing a pretty good MMO that's also a pretty good Final Fantasy.

Yeah I would absolutely have quit this game by now if I didn't have a big active friendly goon guild to shitpost and run stuff with

I mean it's a good game, but the guilds make it special

Kobata
Oct 11, 2012

Solo Wing Pixy posted:

I can't say from firsthand experience, but I know that earlier this year, the North American servers were moved from Montreal to Sacramento for some incomprehensible reason. At a glance, you're probably looking at 150ms of lag from Paris or London to Sacramento, plus whatever your ISP introduces. Not great, but probably not a dealbreaker unless you're a top-tier NIN. The other thing is that you're going to be a few hours ahead of the United States, so if you play during primetime (7:00 PM or thereabouts) the servers might seem a bit empty since a lot of Americans are still at work or school.

I have no idea what's going on with Omega transfers, and frankly I'm not sure that Square-Enix knows either. It seems really strange that they allow new character creation but block people transferring in, usually it's the other way around.

They wanted more new players on their 'new' server after everyone moving off NA dogpiled onto it for free transfers (to the point they set up a second new server after). It's really weird they haven't re-enabled transfers now that they removed the bonuses from it though.

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

I made a character on one of those preferred servers and there was a 100% xp boost. Flew through the first dozen levels while I played around with the Archer class. I have a few alts on different datacenters and servers because I like having different looking characters. I understand that with FF 14 you're only supposed to have one character and make them do everything but my brain doesn't work that way, at least not yet.

Anyway I'll look into making a character on Excalibur,, as long as I don't have to run a virtual wet towel gauntlet. Ideally I'd like to find a happy medium of gathering/crafting to go with a character that maybe only does one job, or two. Definitely going to stick with ranged, and probably another caster. Just feels more fun to be blasting magic at people.

I like the crafting side of MMOs but now that I've done a little of it I can see that taking on all the "hand" classes would be brutal in terms of time and inventory management. Even gathering is strangely intensive since you can't just nab nodes as you run around with equipment and levequests playing such an important role.

But... these are the decisions I enjoy making when it comes to MMOs.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

bone shaking.
soul baking.

Dick Trauma posted:

I made a character on one of those preferred servers and there was a 100% xp boost. Flew through the first dozen levels while I played around with the Archer class. I have a few alts on different datacenters and servers because I like having different looking characters. I understand that with FF 14 you're only supposed to have one character and make them do everything but my brain doesn't work that way, at least not yet.

Anyway I'll look into making a character on Excalibur,, as long as I don't have to run a virtual wet towel gauntlet. Ideally I'd like to find a happy medium of gathering/crafting to go with a character that maybe only does one job, or two. Definitely going to stick with ranged, and probably another caster. Just feels more fun to be blasting magic at people.

I like the crafting side of MMOs but now that I've done a little of it I can see that taking on all the "hand" classes would be brutal in terms of time and inventory management. Even gathering is strangely intensive since you can't just nab nodes as you run around with equipment and levequests playing such an important role.

But... these are the decisions I enjoy making when it comes to MMOs.

So crafting and gathering is easier with goons as well, because people can quickly gear you up.

As far as wanting different looking characters, you have a couple of options - 1. retainers can be make to look like anything you want and you can have a ton of these to look at and play dressup, and 2. fantasia is an item that you can get that allows you to change your character's race etc if you get tired of being what you currently are.

You'll still be able to level just about as fast as you did on excal as you did on any other server, plus with goons and yo-kai events fates are actually getting done.

GOOD TIMES ON METH
Mar 17, 2006

Fun Shoe
Is there a wiki/reference for dungeons and stuff that people like to use besides the big one on top of every google search? Because that one seems to be eating poo poo right now:

ex: https://ffxiv.consolegameswiki.com/wiki/Class

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

GOOD TIMES ON METH posted:

Is there a wiki/reference for dungeons and stuff that people like to use besides the big one on top of every google search? Because that one seems to be eating poo poo right now:

ex: https://ffxiv.consolegameswiki.com/wiki/Class

For dugneons/trials/non-savage raids I like Mizteq's youtube videos--they're short, helpful, and well-edited. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=channel?UC5BtIO_vMNvds5sgE-JI6KA

For "stuff" that's a broad question. I'm not aware of any one central site that covers everything you need to know about the game, but if you have specific questions about anything, there's probably a site that covers it.

e: also, lmao at that link, rip consolegameswiki

jyrque
Sep 4, 2011

Gravy Boat 2k

Xillah posted:

I play from Finland and have about 220 ping. It's playable but trying to OGCD weave skills requires concentration or some hotkey spam.

Solo Wing Pixy
Aug 5, 2008

It's an amanojaku!
This site has a lot of the same stuff as consolegameswiki. Less in the way of "do this on this boss" guides, but if you need stats and formulas and stuff it'll work fine.

Speaking of things eating poo poo, is Discord broken for everyone or just for me right now?

Xillah
Nov 29, 2002

jyrque posted:

I play from Finland and have about 220 ping. It's playable but trying to OGCD weave skills requires concentration or some hotkey spam.

Been talking to the lads on discord and have put in for a transfer.

Got a ping of about 175, happy enough with that, I don't plan on taking over the world.

Taking ages for the lazy twats to move me.

Xillah
Nov 29, 2002

Solo Wing Pixy posted:

This site has a lot of the same stuff as consolegameswiki. Less in the way of "do this on this boss" guides, but if you need stats and formulas and stuff it'll work fine.

Speaking of things eating poo poo, is Discord broken for everyone or just for me right now?

Seems fine now, but it did drop out.

Malthuras
Feb 23, 2012

Go away
What are the requirements for Omega anyway, quest-locked? I've been focusing on LDR's for the gil.

WrightOfWay
Jul 24, 2010

Malthuras posted:

What are the requirements for Omega anyway, quest-locked? I've been focusing on LDR's for the gil.

Finish Stormblood MSQ and you can pick up the quest that unlocks it in Rhalgr's Reach. I think the fights themselves require 300 ilevel.

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

Only 295.

HackensackBackpack
Aug 20, 2007

Who needs a house out in Hackensack? Is that all you get for your money?
If you bought the Sleipnir mount during the 30% off sale (or before, I guess), it's going to be able to fly come 4.1 in October.

Still doesn't have the right number of legs, but what are you gonna do?

HackensackBackpack fucked around with this message at 01:18 on Sep 20, 2017

Rastan Beeza
Apr 3, 2016

Pancakes and vegetables are an important part of a dragon's daily diet.
Huh, why did all the dungeons and trials suddenly go from needing 4 chars for a team to 8 all of a sudden when I finished 2.0 ARR MSQ? I know I started doing some 8 teams with an instance battle and the last two 2.0 MSQ dungeons, but I thought that was an occasional thing.

What is up with that? Is it like that for all dungeons now, or because I'm picking up all these Hard mode versions?

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

Rastan Beeza posted:

Huh, why did all the dungeons and trials suddenly go from needing 4 chars for a team to 8 all of a sudden when I finished 2.0 ARR MSQ? I know I started doing some 8 teams with an instance battle and the last two 2.0 MSQ dungeons, but I thought that was an occasional thing.

What is up with that? Is it like that for all dungeons now, or because I'm picking up all these Hard mode versions?

Dungeons (30-ish minute instanced areas with 3 bosses separated by trash) are still 4-mans, but trials (just a big single boss) are now going to be 8-man. There aren't any 8-man dungeons aside from castrum and praetorium, I don't think? There's 24-man raids but that's a different thing.

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.

Rastan Beeza posted:

All Trials are like that past the 2.0 story. Dungeons are still 4-man.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

All trials and raids are 8-man, yes. Normal dungeons are still 4-man, though.