Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

mattfl
Aug 27, 2004

Pretty boring here.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

asecondduck
Feb 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo
[quote="“ManSedan”" post="“476563856”"]

That’s right fools I use Clips.
[/quote]

And the official Reddit app. Get Narwhal instead, fool.

Sock The Great
Oct 1, 2006

It's Lonely At The Top. But It's Comforting To Look Down Upon Everyone At The Bottom
Grimey Drawer

Pivo posted:

fill your dock and stop playing hearthstone but otherwise i think we're brothers now

I think I've kept the same three apps in my dock since they separated podcasts from the Music app. I can't even think what I would slot down there. Maybe Google?

Over There
Jun 28, 2013

by Azathoth

Minidust posted:

Does the control center remote only work for those new fat Apple TVs? My Apple TV isn't showing up and I'm wondering if that's why. I can still use the regular Remote app just fine, so I'm assuming my wifi/network stuff is all set up correctly.

That's strange I've been using it for both. try using it with the actual app then control panel

Snuffman
May 21, 2004

tonic posted:

seriously that gigantic Messages header at the top of the app aggravates me every time i open it

This is a completely stupid UI decision on Apple's part and it bugs me in all the apps that it's present in.

I already know what app I just opened, why is the normal titlebar (which you get after scrolling) not good enough?

Making everything look like Apple Music isn't going to make Apple Music any more popular.

Nostalgia4Dogges
Jun 18, 2004

Only emojis can express my pure, simple stupidity.

lelandjs posted:

And the official Reddit app. Get Narwhal instead, fool.

lol the official one is more than fine now

wicka
Jun 28, 2007

Delete Reddit

GigaPeon
Apr 29, 2003

Go, man, go!
I came here to join the chorus of people going "Yeah, I get it. I'm in the Messages app"

It seems like Touch ID unlocking happens a lot faster on my 7, though. So that's nice.

pzy
Feb 20, 2004

Da Boom!
I like it in the Mail app, where it shows you what mailbox you're in

xarph
Jun 18, 2001

pzy posted:

I like it in the Mail app, where it shows you what mailbox you're in

I hate it in the Mail app, where I'd rather that space be used for two more messages.

Edit: Really? You couldn't have at least put these two elements on the same line to give us SOME vertical space?

xarph fucked around with this message at 00:27 on Sep 20, 2017

Craptacular!
Jul 9, 2001

Fuck the DH
Mail.app has long been garbage. Gmail syncing will never work and in 10 they took away the ability to select all -> Archive/Delete for a quick and easy inbox zero. Now it just looks like garbage, as well.

I was looking into buying a used 6S but man it seems like phones are just the most horrible thing to buy from a prior owner. It's like what automobiles would be like without Carfax etc. There's two different issues that boil down to "it's stolen" and you get other people like "I really don't want you to notice that it won't charge unless you hold the cable into the jack."

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Messages bad blah blah blah

No more home screen when you double click the home button wtf. Yes I know a single click takes you home but it was nice being able to swipe to it depending on what I wanted.

wicka
Jun 28, 2007

Mail is still the best email app unless you need a bunch of random features that no one needs.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

wicka posted:

Mail is still the best email app unless you need a bunch of random features that no one needs.

If you use gmail just use inbox.

Inbox by Gmail by Google, Inc.
https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/inbox-by-gmail/id905060486?mt=8

It’s by far the best and the grouping it does is super handy.

wicka
Jun 28, 2007

Inbox sucks. Stop messing with my inbox. My inbox is fine.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

wicka posted:

Inbox sucks. Stop messing with my inbox. My inbox is fine.

This but the exact opposite.

Weedle
May 31, 2006

[quote="“Craptacular!”" post="“476565772”"]
I was looking into buying a used 6S but man it seems like phones are just the most horrible thing to buy from a prior owner. It’s like what automobiles would be like without Carfax etc. There’s two different issues that boil down to “it’s stolen” and you get other people like “I really don’t want you to notice that it won’t charge unless you hold the cable into the jack.”
[/quote]

Just get one from Apple’s refurb store. They’re indistinguishable from new phones and you can get a 64 GB 6S for $429. Probably more than you’d pay on Craigslist but you get the peace of mind of knowing it’s never been dropped in the toilet.

Weedle
May 31, 2006

Anyone else think Files.app is kinda not good? For iCloud Drive stuff it’s mostly fine, but I had hoped they’d put any effort at all into third-party storage integration. It seems like it basically just loads the third-party app on top of Files and there’s not really any consistency or interoperability between services. Oh well. Dropbox is still the best and I guess I don’t really need to use anything else.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Weedle posted:

Anyone else think Files.app is kinda not good? For iCloud Drive stuff it’s mostly fine, but I had hoped they’d put any effort at all into third-party storage integration. It seems like it basically just loads the third-party app on top of Files and there’s not really any consistency or interoperability between services. Oh well. Dropbox is still the best and I guess I don’t really need to use anything else.

I have a 200gb icloud account and it seems like it might be useful. I’m gonna have to play with it a bit and see how well it works.

pzy
Feb 20, 2004

Da Boom!
Where's mah gawd drat Visual Voicemail?!

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

xarph posted:

I hate it in the Mail app, where I'd rather that space be used for two more messages.

Edit: Really? You couldn't have at least put these two elements on the same line to give us SOME vertical space?

Hahahahaha, I'm so glad I switched to Outlook long ago. Jesus.

Nostalgia4Dogges
Jun 18, 2004

Outlook sucks

Keyser_Soze
May 5, 2009

Pillbug
I miss my goofy Retorika icons for Android (especially the Awful app frog) and of course the swipe down panel to quick switch wifi sources. :smith:

iphones are boring

Keyser_Soze fucked around with this message at 01:22 on Sep 20, 2017

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Has anyone noticed CarPlay acting weird after this update?

Before if I was listening to my satellite radio it would play the phone sounds over the speakers like alerts and games and poo poo. Now it’s playing the sounds from the phone speakers.

Edit: well gently caress now it won’t even let me switch to another audio source while I’m playing a game. It forces the phone audio.

WithoutTheFezOn
Aug 28, 2005
Oh no

Rageaholic Monkey posted:

Hahahahaha, I'm so glad I switched to Outlook long ago. Jesus.
I think most of the Musicalike apps look pretty bad, but in this particular case that grey bar makes a little more visual sense if you see the whole screen and/or you have multiple mail accounts.

E: oh wait he means the edit thing, never mind.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

:whitewater:

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

On the 7, how loud is the audio supposed to be through the earpiece when you're playing a podcast or music? I feel like mine has gotten quieter over time, but I'm not sure it's bad enough to quality for a warranty replacement.

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

I've been using Outlook ever since the Gmail app became garbage (probably like a year or so ago?) and it does literally everything I want an email app to with 0 issues. Also it's free. There's no compelling reason for me to use anything else.

Nostalgia4Dogges
Jun 18, 2004

Nostalgia4Dogges posted:

can't restore from my backup, keeps saying

"an error occured while reading from or writing to the iphone"

which I assume is maybe the cable, but I used this cable to make the backup...

-edit think my hardisk is too close to full let me mess with that

Not that anyone cares but yeah think it was a storage thing. I guess the backups are compressed and it has to use your HDD to "unpack" or cache it before restoring it to your iphone I have no idea. I think it's silly that when it errors out it leaves all the backup files, so you're back to literally 0 HDD space. So for all the incremental amounts you free up you'll still eventually have to have the equivalent of your iphone storage backup. :thunk:

Seems like a pretty silly short-sight imo or maybe it's for a reason. Not sure how a grandma would think to go delete all the backup files itunes kept trying to make to free up the storage to do the whole drat thing in the first place.

Hell, with the mess of errors I've had backing/restoring/itunes updates over the years I have no idea what grandmas do. Just lug their whole PC to the apple store and tell them to fix it?

~Coxy
Dec 9, 2003

R.I.P. Inter-OS Sass - b.2000AD d.2003AD

Pivo posted:

poo poo I never use like Shazam and Redlaser, and poo poo I shouldn't be caught using like Tinder because I'm not single and I don't gently caress around but hey, the app is there.

Last screen is for stuff Apple doesn't let me delete.

You can delete the Shazam app and ask Siri to "shazam this" instead.

~Coxy
Dec 9, 2003

R.I.P. Inter-OS Sass - b.2000AD d.2003AD

Vintersorg posted:

Co-worker just showed me Messages and Inbox home screens. What a pile of trash. What the gently caress Apple.

Sounds worrying.
Someone with IOS11 screenshot Messages please.

Kilometers Davis
Jul 9, 2007

They begin again

It’s not bad or that different at all it just has a big text of “Messages” at the top.

Nostalgia4Dogges
Jun 18, 2004

~Coxy posted:

You can delete the Shazam app and ask Siri to "shazam this" instead.

does that work well in dive bars with blaring music tho

8-bit Miniboss
May 24, 2005

CORPO COPS CAME FOR MY :filez:

~Coxy posted:

Sounds worrying.
Someone with IOS11 screenshot Messages please.

At least the new markup works!

Catalyst-proof
May 11, 2011

better waste some time with you
https://twitter.com/hrsmns/status/901587251481776128

Nostalgia4Dogges
Jun 18, 2004

8-bit Miniboss posted:

At least the new markup works!

:thunk:

8-bit Miniboss
May 24, 2005

CORPO COPS CAME FOR MY :filez:

TraderStav
May 19, 2006

It feels like I was standing my entire life and I just sat down
Bonus feature found. Was listening to a podcast on the way home and my wife texted me, it played out of the speaker on the phone instead of muting the podcast to play the tone. Not sure if this was because I had Waze open or not, but it's a huge thing to me. I always have to back up everytime I get a notification because of it.

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

Google Maps pauses podcast playback.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Skeezy
Jul 3, 2007

xarph posted: