Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
keyframe
Sep 15, 2007

I have seen things

Cup Runneth Over posted:

Ela and Echo are pretty hard counters to Rook. Throwing a stun mine will also stop someone from defusing. Their ability to interrupt held actions is much bigger than their combat effectiveness.

Confused how Echo is a counter to Rook? :confused:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cup Runneth Over
Aug 8, 2009

She said life's
Too short to worry
Life's too long to wait
It's too short
Not to love everybody
Life's too long to hate

Montagne.

You're cool with Ela, though?

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

Re: Uplay - it was cheaper there, so that's what my entire group rolls with, I think, maybe except one guy.

Severing
Aug 26, 2017

Just a warning, apparently Ubisoft just released an update for PS4 that causes the console to constantly crash and/or brick itself. It's something to do with the friends list and possibly inviting people that causes it.

I'd think about seriously not playing Siege on PS4 until Ubi fix the issue.

plehsistential
Jan 29, 2012

death to all avatar havers
https://clips.twitch.tv/TallShyTeaItsBoshyTime

E S P O R T S R E A D Y

e:

plehsistential fucked around with this message at 04:57 on Sep 20, 2017

Admiral Joeslop
Jul 8, 2010

Severing posted:

Just a warning, apparently Ubisoft just released an update for PS4 that causes the console to constantly crash and/or brick itself. It's something to do with the friends list and possibly inviting people that causes it.

I'd think about seriously not playing Siege on PS4 until Ubi fix the issue.

https://www.reddit.com/r/Rainbow6/comments/717bvv/important_ps4_players_read/?st=j7sje3d9&sh=4c0c172d

Gr4vyB04t
Jan 31, 2010

Hey gurl, hey.
Operation Hospice Care.

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

Cup Runneth Over posted:

Montagne.

You're cool with Ela, though?

Well, the explosions stun teammates. :v:

Cup Runneth Over
Aug 8, 2009

She said life's
Too short to worry
Life's too long to wait
It's too short
Not to love everybody
Life's too long to hate

Is this with the new recoil patterns, or just a glitch?

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

By the looks of it, an unintended (perhaps) side effect of new recoil system will be that L85 loving works, finally.

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

Ubisoft fixed Ela MVP face. Didn't you have enough with raptor legs, Hard?

E:

Cup Runneth Over posted:

Is this with the new recoil patterns, or just a glitch?

Pretty sure it's dude controlling the recoil on TTS, since the pattern on the gun is wriggly, matching the player's actions.

cinci zoo sniper fucked around with this message at 05:48 on Sep 20, 2017

Admiral Joeslop
Jul 8, 2010

Fixed recoil is pretty lame and saps my desire to play. Hope they enjoy that e-sports money while it lasts, I guess.

The Shame Boy
Jan 27, 2014

Dead weight, just like this post.

Hard posted:

https://support.ubi.com/en-US/Cases/new?template=R6CheatReportPC

Don't let the url stop you just pick the console of your choice.

Coolio it is sent. Thank you my dude.

my kinda ape
Sep 15, 2008

Everything's gonna be A-OK
Oven Wrangler

Dog Fat Man Chaser posted:

2/2, 5 traps, no laser on them, no longer instant-kill (40 damage apparently).

:bisonyes:

CJ
Jul 3, 2007

Asbungold
https://g.redditmedia.com/fyRZOyOhccIPHpxsDBlzGSiQ5PqrKZmHwlpFkikNcgw.gif?fm=mp4&mp4-fragmented=false&s=dfcae7351def31b6ce73624e48caa431

Jehde
Apr 21, 2010

https://rainbow6.ubisoft.com/siege/en-us/news/152-301767-16/weapon-recoil-overhaul

Hard, what the gently caress.

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

Just 6 patterns lol.

Sultan Tarquin
Jul 29, 2007

and what kind of world would it be? HUH?!
Seems like they're doubling down on this horrendous decision. Good job ubisoft. I'm sure the 3 pro players who requested this are going to be real happy :thumbsup:

Orv
May 4, 2011
Remember how I tried to be moderate and say maybe this would be fine and they wouldn't be stupid about it?

This is fundamentally retarded, a needless and terrible change and completely destroys any faith I have in the dev team, and I'm not being even a little hyperbolic.

E: Alright a little hyperbolic but just fix what's broken instead of making a terrible change to appease your tiny, meaningless esports scene.

Orv fucked around with this message at 17:52 on Sep 20, 2017

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

I know I'm pretty happy with this, for one. Doubtedly a change the game is in an acute need off (except hosed up L85A2), but I don't see where's the crying coming from, honestly. Most if not all patterns are, just like in CS:GO, meant that you drag mouse in a simple movement for first third of the mag and if you haven't scored then idk what to tell you.

Before angry mob lynches me though, I'd much rather see the stupid Kapkan mine change not happen, and first getting the maps/servers/everything unfucked.

Perestroika
Apr 8, 2010

quote:

We do not want to overwhelm the players with an insane amount of recoil patterns to learn, so he have divided them into families. Each family will all have the same kind of pattern, while having small differences to make sure they still feel different from one another.

The weapons have been divided as such:

AUG A2, Type-89, F2, C7E, AR33, G36C, L85A2, 556xi, PARA-308
552 commando, AK-12, C8SFW, 416-C, R4C
G8A1, M249, 6P41, T-95 LSW, PDW9, P90, Scorpion EVO 3 A1
MP5k, MP5, FMG-9, T-5, MP5SD, MPX, 9x19VSN, MP7
MK17 CQB
SMG-11, Bearing 9, Vector .45 ACP

So, the division is:
-A bunch of assault rifles
-A different bunch of assault rifles with no particular thing distinguishing them from the first group
-Machine guns and a few submachine guns (:psyduck:)
-A different bunch of submachine guns
-One single rifle for some reason
-Two secondary machine pistols and one primary SMG

That seems like an intuitive and reasonable way to group these weapons together.

Orv
May 4, 2011
Well for my money part of why I stopped trying to get better at CS is that I ran up against the recoil system while trying to do that and didn't find it an engaging or enjoyable mechanic. Further, this change coupled with things like the Kapkan changes and the map stuff gives a distinct impression that the dev team is off in their own world making changes no-one asked for. It doesn't bode well for the future of the game and is fairly disheartening.

Sultan Tarquin
Jul 29, 2007

and what kind of world would it be? HUH?!
Fixed recoil just has no place in a game like siege. It only works in CS because they have hipfire only and static, unchanging maps. Gunplay and holding angles is more important in CS because there's no danger of sledge literally breaking down the wall you were standing near and killing you. It's more about tactics, improvising and using your own and your teams operators to beat the opponent. Sure player skill comes into it with actually being able to click heads and control recoil but If you're mag dumping in siege you're doing something wrong.

Jehde
Apr 21, 2010

cinci zoo sniper posted:

I know I'm pretty happy with this, for one. Doubtedly a change the game is in an acute need off (except hosed up L85A2), but I don't see where's the crying coming from, honestly. Most if not all patterns are, just like in CS:GO, meant that you drag mouse in a simple movement for first third of the mag and if you haven't scored then idk what to tell you.

Before angry mob lynches me though, I'd much rather see the stupid Kapkan mine change not happen, and first getting the maps/servers/everything unfucked.

"Erratic and unpredictable" recoil is fun and rewarding to get good at. Pattern memorization is not.

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

Sultan Tarquin posted:

Fixed recoil just has no place in a game like siege. It only works in CS because they have hipfire only and static, unchanging maps. Gunplay and holding angles is more important in CS because there's no danger of sledge literally breaking down the wall you were standing near and killing you. It's more about tactics, improvising and using your own and your teams operators to beat the opponent. Sure player skill comes into it with actually being able to click heads and control recoil but If you're mag dumping in siege you're doing something wrong.

To be honest, I don't see how all this contradicts having a recoil system that does not allow 3rd shot to randomly instakill a person somewhere on the screen.

Orv posted:

Well for my money part of why I stopped trying to get better at CS is that I ran up against the recoil system while trying to do that and didn't find it an engaging or enjoyable mechanic. Further, this change coupled with things like the Kapkan changes and the map stuff gives a distinct impression that the dev team is off in their own world making changes no-one asked for. It doesn't bode well for the future of the game and is fairly disheartening.

I'm with you here on Kapkan traps and maps. Can't say I'm fairly disheartened by them though since I'm very well used to thinking how could have Siege turned out with competent developers who play their own game too.

E:

Jehde posted:

"Erratic and unpredictable" recoil is fun and rewarding to get good at. Pattern memorization is not.

You don't get good at PRNG generator, and with how easy to tame Siege recoil is, there's frankly nothing to get good at either. Not that a complexity for the sake of it is a worthy pursuit - my only gripe is random around-the-world bullets, I wouldn't care for fixed recoil, something you can actually get good at, otherwise. I just don't find a place for anything other but tight recoil patterns in a game with 1HKO headshots.

cinci zoo sniper fucked around with this message at 18:12 on Sep 20, 2017

Orv
May 4, 2011
At least make the patterns something less artistically geometric, I'm not going to remember to gradually drag down and left when the wall next to me turns into a large Russian man with a machine gun.

Koramei
Nov 11, 2011

I have three regrets
The first is to be born in Joseon.
I think the kapkan change seems neat. Works differently to any other trap still, and the 2/2 was sorely needed.

still mad about the maps change though

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

Koramei posted:

I think the kapkan change seems neat. Works differently to any other trap still, and the 2/2 was sorely needed.

still mad about the maps change though

2/2 sure but now with 40 damage traps it basically is a fast-tracked Lesion with less spatial information, instead of an "oh blyat" instakill. Instakill without lasers would be too rough too though, but I would've not minded to see how a 2/2 Kapkan with older traps plays out. Sure, easy to spot, but more speed means more spots to place, and eventually you get a rusher in somewhere.

forest spirit
Apr 6, 2009

Frigate Hetman Sahaidachny
First to Fight Scuttle, First to Fall Sink

Yeah I honestly don't think it matters, I haven't seen many studios do anything with TTS suggestions besides pat the heads of customers who offered feedback. This seems like "A Big Change" for something that was "Fundamentally Broken" from day 1, so I'm pretty sure instead of correcting the issue, they're changing the issue. We're getting spray patterns. I'm going to download the TTS tonight but I don't know why I'm wasting the bandwidth

Also making Kapkan non-lethal is weird. It will take 3 traps to kill you which just seems strange considering if I'm playing Trapkan in a round I'm lucky to get a kill with the gadget, especially if it's a huge one like Kafe. Also, kapkan has to do a setting up anim, Ela and Lesion don't. He doesn't have markers like Lesion does, either, so with the change to non-lethal and being faster he doesn't have a UI signifier to quickly parse where to flank. Frost as well doesn't have restrictions on where to place her mats, either, and they're now more lethal than kap.

Jehde
Apr 21, 2010

cinci zoo sniper posted:

You don't get good at PRNG generator, and with how easy to tame Siege recoil is, there's frankly nothing to get good at either. Not that a complexity for the sake of it is a worthy pursuit - my only gripe is random around-the-world bullets, I wouldn't care for fixed recoil, something you can actually get good at, otherwise. I just don't find a place for anything other but tight recoil patterns in a game with 1HKO headshots.

Actually, you do. You learn what a certain gun's RNG parameters are and you get used to that. Recoil management is a generic skill in a lot of shooters, and the difference between guns makes for interesting preferences and aptitudes. Some people will hate the recoil of one gun, some will love it, and vice versa. It feels good to get in tune with the RNG paramaters of a given gun and know how to control it comfortably. Pattern memorization removes all the fun that comes with recoil management, as it's not really recoil management, it's just pattern memorization.

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

Jehde posted:

Actually, you do. You learn what a certain gun's RNG parameters are and you get used to that. Recoil management is a generic skill in a lot of shooters, and the difference between guns makes for interesting preferences and aptitudes. Some people will hate the recoil of one gun, some will love it, and vice versa. It feels good to get in tune with the RNG paramaters of a given gun and know how to control it comfortably. Pattern memorization removes all the fun that comes with recoil management, as it's not really recoil management, it's just pattern memorization.
In Siege you just slightly drag downwards to minimise 90% of recoil on most guns, as it was. That's neither meaningful, nor prevents random wild bullets, and has no inherent value. Recoil patterns actually have something substantial behind them, instead of a wet fart of a system, and if you get good at that, you can reliably hit all the shots you take, which is meaningful.

Also, stop crying about pattern memorization, it's pretty boring to read that from a person older than 10 years talking about a mouse swipe. You won't ever need more than the first couple bullets from the pattern, unless you are really bad at aiming heads.

Jehde
Apr 21, 2010

Sorry but that's what it boils down to and it's a pretty dumb thing to want in a game like Siege. :shrug:

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

Jehde posted:

Sorry but that's what it boils down to and it's a pretty dumb thing to want in a game like Siege. :shrug:
Sorry but that's what it boils down to and it's a pretty dumb thing not to want in a game like Siege. :shrug:

Flipswitch
Mar 30, 2010

Probably end up being fine tbh. I'll give it a try before ragging on it.

Thief
Jan 28, 2011

:420::420::420::420::420::420::420::420::420::420::420:
im looking at the before and after vid instead of reading the gigantic press release and at first glance it seems like this isn't a huge deal tbh

as fan of magdumping i can say that even despite my terrible aim the guns in this game feel cartoonishly accurate so in the end this might be a good thing?

Guillermus
Dec 28, 2009

I'm going to put my opinion on recoil patterns as someone that was a competitive CS player that stopped playing in 2003 and barely put 20 hours in CS:GO since its launch (so count me as an old-school player wich moved on to other stuff).

First thing is that I'm still absorbing information about this game, watching videos, getting familiar with operators etc... so I'll speak about the mechanic itself, not its impact on R6S because I repeat, I can't give an opinion due to non-existent experience with this game. Recoil pattern CS:GO style exist because in the first place, it's just continuing the tradition of a game that was an unofficial mod for HL1, a game from 1997. CS itself started in 1999, hell that year I did the jump from Quake 2 and Unreal to Unreal Tournament. So we're talking about a shooting mechanic, from an especific game that is running after 18 years.

How the hell it works today on CS:GO compared to all other FPS? Simple. CS:GO since its launch tried to appeal old school CS players that didn't like CS:Source. It's a game that only has hipfire, it's drat fast and community favourite maps didn't change in over a decade. We're talking about a game that only has two gamemodes, a money system to buy weapons per rounds and totally unfriendly with newcomers.

Recoil patterns are an OK barrier to jump for newer players because the game is cheap, has a huge playerbase, has low requirements to run it and has no progression system behind it so you can either play it non-stop, or play it casually and you just get hatsskins. In my opinion patterns are not a good thing for modern shooters (for both veterans and newbies) because now you have tons of weapons to choose, gadgets, different stances (proning, crouching and leaning) compared to CS where at some point you can literally aim at the knee and score a headshot because bullets aren't going where the gun is aiming for. Sure, when the patch hits, veterans and casual players will get leveled a bit for a while but the gap is going to be huge afterwards.

Recoil patterns make weapons completely useless. Simple up-right patterns will make weapons top-tier instantly over "zig-zag" and so. Hell, even Valve has patched CS:GO weapons several times to match MLSproXXXwhatever requeriments of them being closer to CS 1.6 and more than half of the weapons aren't used at all because they've been bad since years. I'm more prone to systems like BF4 where you have "predictable" recoil (not really patterns) and attachments change how a weapon kicks, not drastically but enough to notice. It also has some spread so you can't shoot two bursts exactly at the same spot while keeping good first shots. CoD games (at least until Black Ops 2) have predictable recoil as in the weapon (and sights) tend to kick to a side or other, some weapons just have a big upwards kick, others will jump from side to side, etc... You can control it, but makes sense and makes every weapon feel unique.

TL:DR; Leave recoil patterns for a 18-year old game like CS and stay with more "modern" solutions. Also I literally never seen a video where the host was asking for that (like Russian Badger).

I don't think that this will kill the game because most of the playerbase sure don't know that it'll even get patched and will adjust to it.

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

Source your quotes.

lohli
Jun 30, 2008

That there was an issue with recoil in the first place warrants some kind of rework, but one that means there are a few patterns you need to learn/make a macro for is dumb.

Hard pls fix your game.

Cup Runneth Over
Aug 8, 2009

She said life's
Too short to worry
Life's too long to wait
It's too short
Not to love everybody
Life's too long to hate

cinci zoo sniper posted:

Source your quotes.

You're literally the only one in this thread earnestly defending this awful change.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

Cup Runneth Over posted:

You're literally the only one in this thread earnestly defending this awful change.
I don't take any issue with people disliking and/or opposing the change, just found quite a few parts of that post funny. As I've said earlier, I'm accustomed to CS gunplay, and thus, in part, find this change non-sequitur.

• Locked thread